DreamBox Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Jessie Woolley-Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nothing like DreamBox in the market place and truly does make a difference in student's lives (in 3 reviews)

• Great product, great employees, great mission especially if you love education and children (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No clear path to career growth, flat organization (in 4 reviews)

• It's still a growing company and there are certain procedures that are still being established but it is getting better (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome mission, great team and challenging"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DreamBox in many ways was a pinnacle experience for me. No team is perfect, but when everyone lives/works with clear vision and strives to live out values, anyone can contribute, fail/learn, grow professionally and personally. You can fail here if learning comes quickly and you own your contribution.

Cons

The EdTech marketplace is tough; having such a great product, marketplace progress can seem slow and is certainly political. The 'but' here is DreamBox leadership is indefatigable when it comes to making a difference and continuing its progress.

Advice to Management

don't waiver from the great culture you have. Never give up on the kids and making DreamBox a game changer.

2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Work with a bunch of smart people to make a real difference in kid's lives across the country.

Cons

No formal career growth ladder.

3. "A company you can be proud to be a part of"

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

The mission is clear and the people are all passionate about achieving it. Coworkers are very supportive of each other. The leadership has an open mind and supports dialog. The work life balance is great.

Cons

Since it's a growing company, it can seem like there is always more that needs to be done than can be done. But that also means there is never a shortage of good ideas of how to impact the business in a positive way.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on career management. There is a lot of independence in how folks work but that also means that there is sometimes not enough mentorship and time spent on growing people.

"Continue Onward and Upward!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool mission and mostly passionate, positive people. Many new hires throughout the company in the past 6 months with new energy to shake up long-time employees who are a bit lack-luster. DreamBox has the BEST math program on the market!

Cons

Trying to get it right on the sales side - fairly big changes each year, which have interrupted a clear path for success. Lack of clear culture and disjointed east / west offices.

Advice to Management

Lots of new management, which seems to be working hard to get DreamBox back on track - ET and CEO, please listen to their ideas. Long-time and less successful management continues to lead with no consequences. This is getting very old to those of us in the trenches.

"Making a positive change for kids"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate people that truly care about the mission, to change the way the world learns and that every child can love math if given the right tools. Understands that we're all grown ups and as long as we're doing good work, we can wear what we want, work from home if needed, set our own hours (all within reason of course). Encouraged to personalize our space. Lots of promotions from within. Welcoming atmosphere, friendly co-workers. Can approach any level of management and be treated as an equal. And dogs!

Cons

No matching 401k, not enough opportunity for casual intermingling of departments

Apr 13, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you for the positive feedback. It’s great to hear all the good things that you mentioned. We work hard to hire passionate and smart people and create the environment where they can succeed. We... More

"Sales"

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are OK. Need a 401K matching contribution.

Cons

Senior management is not integrated with the field teams and is not inclusive looking for new ideas to solve problems. Extremely high turnover of good employees. Morale is poor.

Advice to Management

Get out of your offices and meet with the employees. Create goals and an environment where good employees can be successful.

Apr 13, 2017 – HR Specialist

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear that your experience has not been positive. We are constantly looking to improve and in doing so we have been hosting manager trainings to enhance... More

"The CEO Needs to GO!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at DreamBox Learning (More than a year)

Pros

Great product! Amazing to see the kids embrace the product.

Cons

The CEO focuses on personal/negative comments about her, rather than on growing the business.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to go. "Malice and Mandarin... Remember that? You said it. So disappointed in the CEO! Clown act!

Apr 13, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We agree that our product is changing the lives of children in a very positive way and making math more engaging and enjoyable. We do not agree with the comments listed... More

8. "Managers need management training"

Pros

Its nice to see individuals stepping up and taking on the task of managing a team with all the individual personalities and needs that people have.

Cons

Managers need training. It was highlighted that individuals on our team needed help with managing day to day tasks; even though this is true, members that are high performers and have no issues with time management are being micromanaged and its causing unneeded and wanted stress. Not yo mention that its done in a way that is condescending. We are adults and have been told that exact same statement from time to time by management and yet we are being treated an monitored as if we are children. Its unproductive to be on top of your team members all day every day.

Advice to Management

Managers should go through training to give them the skills they need to manage the varying individuals and skill sets on their team. You will continue to see team members leave under pressure like this; especially the ones who are doing their jobs and doing them well.

Apr 13, 2017 – HR Specialist

We appreciate the feedback. We also appreciate our great people stepping up when needed and we are proud to have a positive blend of personalities all around. We agree that all managers could use... More

"Good product but lots of room for improvement in Leadership"

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

DreamBox is a wonderful program created to help students succeed, especially when the student believes "they just aren't good at math". Helping children is the most rewarding part of this company.

Cons

No clear path to career growth, flat organization. No raises, management has clear favorites they are given projects and accolades continually while others who work hard are ignored for not "playing" along with management's favoritism.
    They try to bring "culture" into the company but lack of budget, hinders or makes these functions few and far between. We have been told by management this team will not always be "fair" or seem "fair", I don't agree with that. There is always a way to manage your team in a "fair" manner. Senior level leadership members are leaving and that makes staff nervous.

Advice to Management

Have clear discussions about what opportunities are available to ambitious staff who would benefit from a promotion, raise etc.
    Do not micromanage your team, if newer people on teams need more guidance or need a mentor provide them with the resources they need. Senior members of teams do not need to be watched constantly. Management training would be helpful for our leadership team.

Apr 13, 2017 – HR Specialist

We are happy to hear that you believe DBL is an effective program and that you are contributing to student success. There are many different roles here within DBL and we have distributed many... More

"changing the world isn't easy"

Current Employee - Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with. They are talented, caring, creative and bought in to the vision. The product speaks for itself. I have taken interviews with competitors and other e-learning firms and nothing comes close to DreamBox Learning's offering. The mission of the company, radically transforming the way the world learns, sounds lofty and arrogant but it is happening and we are actually changing children's lives on a daily basis. Even better, DreamBox is now uniquely positioned to transform teacher's lives as well! If you believe that teachers, students and our education system is a vital cog in the future of this world come work here.

Cons

changing the world is tough. there have been bumps and some lasting bruises. Our CEO, while brilliant, is not a flexible person. She is not good at responding to and actually hearing what the market needs or what her employees need. Additionally, she seems to have a way of pushing people close to her out of the company. This does not inspire trust or confidence in her leadership. I work here but I would never want to work for her.

Advice to Management

how about advice to the board of directors. get us a new ceo

Apr 13, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We are very happy to have you in our team and it is great to hear you have found DBL to be at the top of the list of e-learning companies. We couldn’t agree more that the... More