DreamBox Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

DreamBox Learning Reviews

Updated April 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Nothing like DreamBox in the market place and truly does make a difference in student's lives (in 3 reviews)

• Great product, great employees, great mission especially if you love education and children (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No clear path to career growth, flat organization (in 3 reviews)

• growing company normal stuff: can be vague with vision of where the company is going, what we are heading towards (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great People, Incredible Mission, Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, the people who work here are amazing! Extremely bright, some of the very best technical talent I've worked with. And the spirit of teamwork, collaboration, and inclusiveness is just amazing. Everyone on the team truly values your contribution, and let's you know through their words and actions. Just an amazing team to be a part of.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the commute. Going across the bridge twice a day is horrid, but, you know what? They offered to let me offset my hours or work from home occasionally. What a company!

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I know we have some big goals we are trying to achieve, but honestly, you have an amazing leadership team. Great leaders and managers at every level, who lead by example, enable, empower and encourage you to get things done right. I have yet to see one iota of micromanagement.

Sep 15, 2016 – VP User Experience

Thank you for your praise and support of DreamBox. We agree with you that we have bright, talented, and amazing employees! (It's one of the reasons why I'm still here after more than 10 years.) Sorry ... More

"Great first impression, but management needs to be more agile"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The product is making a positive difference in students lives. Strong leadership team, creative designers, passionate employees.

Cons

Unprofessional environment. Poor training. High employee turnover. Middle management micromanages and front line employees are not empowered enough to make on-the-spot decisions to facilitate deeper customer loyalty.

Advice to Management

Be willing to adjust when necessary. Turnover is expensive, and you are losing too many good people, which compromises customer success and hurts both the top and bottom line.

Sep 9, 2016 – SVP Client Engagement & Success

Thanks for your candid feedback. It’s unfortunate that you feel our environment was unprofessional and the training was less than satisfactory. Culture is extremely important and we all have a role ... More

"DreamBox is the best company I've ever been at"

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

DreamBox is a very collaborative, fast paced, challenging, rewarding, and friendly place to work. Everyone feels like they can make a difference in the life of millions of kids, and employees are empowered to make it happen. While it is a friendly environment, it is also an environment where you can state your opinions openly. People here are used to be good on people and hard on ideas, which is captured by one of the values "benevolent friction". It is a truly rewarding experience that I'd recommend to anyone that is looking for a breath of fresh air, an opportunity to learn, make a difference, and being noticed. The engineering team is exceptionally selected from the cream of the crop. It is a strong group of highly professional and motivated individuals with amazing skills, attention to details and drive for excellence. Truly inspiring to watch.

Cons

Probably not a good place for folks that don't like working with people smarter than them. To be successful at DreamBox you need to be ready for the challenge, and be motivated to succeed. If you just want to collect a paycheck, this is definitely not the place for you. If you are a complainer and have only problems without being able to offer solutions, it is also not a good place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the bar high, and keep doing what you are doing. Push for excellence, don't worry about minor setbacks, keep on changing things when they don'r work, and look at the amazing vision you are fulfilling. Your work is important. Your people are amazing. Do not forget it.

"Great Company, Constantly Learning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Although the company has been growing fast and there have been some growing pains, working with so passionate and smart people has been truly rewarding. Everyone is committed to helping kids to enjoy learning and become unstoppable mathematicians. Collaboration is key and people are willing to help each other. If you are someone who enjoys fast and fun ride and wants to make an impact, this is the place for you. Additional bonus - the office is pet friendly and you can get your dog therapy at work.

Cons

Due to rapid growth not everything is perfect and there is room for improvement. Expectations are high, the company is moving on fast pace, and there is always lots of new information to process. You need to be ready and willing to dive in, take risks and try out new things. Experimentation sometimes means long hours but the results are rewarding, and it's never boring or dull.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, tap into collective wisdom. Give people time to explore and innovate. Invest in your people, encourage constant learning. Celebrate the wins. Set your people up to success and help with coaching.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Give you all the tools to succeed. People are easy to work with and there is a team feeling throughout the company.

Cons

Managers can be at the other site.

Jan 12, 2016 – SVP Client Engagement & Success

Thank you for giving us your feedback. We have been working on building one team and it’s great to hear that we are headed in the right direction. Thank you for your hard work and being part of our ... More

"Excellent company with a few growing pains"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* DreamBox builds high quality products that help kids learn math. It’s easy to feel proud of what the company is accomplishing.
    * DreamBox is committed to helping kids and educators succeed.
    * Smart, passionate engineers who have interesting lives outside of work.
    * Good direction on priorities and focus from the CEO and management. Communications within the company have improved a lot in the last year or so.
    * Excellent collaboration between developers and testers.
    * Engineering teams execute well on big product initiatives. Frequent releases. Excellent sales and customer support teams.
    * The workplace is kid and dog friendly. There's a shower if you bike to work or want to go for a run during the day. Lots of tasty lunch options within an easy walk.

Cons

* Difficult on boarding process. Setting up a developer environment for the first time can be daunting. Documentation is incomplete and scattered. Ask lots of questions and take good notes.
    * Development projects are often rushed with lots of decisions made on the fly. Again, documentation is incomplete and scattered. Ask lots of questions and take good notes. To some extent these problems go hand in hand with being a small company with big dreams. The risk is misunderstanding, miscommunication, and incorrect implementations that have to be done over.
    * DreamBox doesn’t really have a product management organization. Several product managers have come and gone, but this appears to be difficult problem for the company. Some of the issues mentioned above stem from this. I think the company has done a good job so far working around this deficiency, but it will become a bigger problem and the company grows.

Advice to Management

Figure out product management and do a better job of making up to date product requirements and specifications available to the engineering teams.

Jan 12, 2016 – VP User Experience

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback and advice. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get things right, but we remain committed to product management and are happy to report we have a fully staffed PM ... More

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DBL brings an innovative and transformative approach to math instruction through our web based program. Sales is fun at DreamBox with minimum travel and group events at national shows. We have a wonderful team of highly talented reps, curriculum designers, platform designers, and managers. Never in my life would I be such great friends with people who are so different from me than if I worked at DreamBox.

Cons

Onboarding has gotten better for new hires over the years, but unless you are an independent self starter things can feel lonely and overwhelming when you start. Training is absolutely provided, but we are hire folks who invest in themselves and take the time they need to learn this industry without hand holding. Remote reps sometimes feel disconnected, but driving culture is always something everyone can do for themself.

Advice to Management

Plan more team building and culture building activities, especially to celebrate victories. However, our management team is always willing to go the extra mile to help reps make and exceed their goals. Many times managers have gotten on planes to make a meeting last minute, or have stayed up all night to finish proofing a proposal on a deadline.

Jul 27, 2015 – SVP Client Engagement & Success

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We place emphasis on building strong teams, are committed to our employees and customers, and appreciate you sharing your experience. We agree that we could do ... More

"Plagued by dysfunctional leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teaching kids Maths - what's not to love?
    Sales staff that can sell absolutely anything
    Some amazing, fun co-workers

Cons

Non-delivery is the key thought that comes to mind. The roadmap has been the same for 3+ years yet all that is developed each year are a few more lessons and a couple of bad reports. The Development team can neither deliver nor plan for 3rd party delivery. It's sad really as there are a number of smart, passionate people who work hard to deliver but unfortunately they are too few in numbers and the rest act as a boat anchor around their necks.

Those that speak up are forced out quickly to maintain the status quo. Case in point DBL has burned through 10 VPs/Sr Directors in less than four years under supreme lack of leadership and extreme micromanagement. This makes for lots of frustration, chaos, and déjà vu moments year after year.

Advice to those considering a position - RUN AWAY!

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your people. Hire smart, point the right direction, and let them deliver great things. And please for the love of life, clean house of the slackers who don't move things forward.

Replace CEO with someone not afraid of technology.

Jul 28, 2015 – VP Learning Innovation

Thank you for the feedback. Working to reach every student and inspire them to become confident math learners is certainly a challenge we take seriously. With tremendous growth and limited resources ... More

"The Low Glassdoor Ratings are 100% accurate for Dreambox"

Former Employee - Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-DreamBox has a solid educational solution to help students with mathematics

Cons

-Lack of professionalism
    -Rich with arrogance
    -Sub-par management that seems delusional
    -There are more disgruntled employees than happy ones
    -Culture is non-existent
    -No support or collaboration. You are on a deserted island.

Advice to Management

-Address the disconnect between upper management and their employees.
    -Invest in Leadership and Professional Development seminars
    -Get acquired and start over somewhere else

Jul 28, 2015 – VP Learning Innovation

Thank you for the feedback. We are working hard to connect and align different teams and locations but the company is growing fast and the progress may not feel fast enough. We have made some ... More

"Visionary CEO driving an adaptive culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jessie is one of the most inspiring and visionary CEOs I've ever had the pleasure of working for. She knows how to inspire a company while also helping to build the integrity and presence of an entire industry sector. DreamBox is dedicated to being a premier EdTech company, and it shows.

The company values are spot on and help drive fruitful discussions.

Cons

Resources can sometimes be light, but we have lofty goals and visions.

Organization is still a bit flat, making growth hard for some; however, that is somewhat expected for a company of this size.

No longer a con - The previous lack of communication was really addressed in 2014 and has grown leaps and bounds since then.

Jul 28, 2015 – VP Learning Innovation

Thank you for the great review. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your time at DreamBox, and thank you for your contributions! As you know, we pride ourselves on our commitment to core values ... More