DreamHost Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Dallas Kashuba & Michael Rodriguez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Overall good small/medium business to work for"

Pros

- relaxed culture
    - defined cultural values that are not corporate buzzwords
    - fun office environment
    - very good training for new hires
    - lots of smart people
    - leadership open to feedback
    - unique and interesting small benefits beyond the typical expected HR
    - occasional unexpected bonus pay (a couple times a year)
    - growing company (important if you expect to have raises every year)

Cons

- pay is below market for several roles
    - a few bad apples (wondering why they haven't been managed out yet)
    - leadership is good but could provide more information/communication on the long view and regular status updates, and could benefit from more formal management/leadership training
    - many people complain privately or offhand about things that need resolving but don't feel comfortable saying it out loud to the whole group, which is strange for a company that has Shameless Honesty as a cultural value.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and learn and try new ways of connecting with and leading your teams. Communicate more. It's rare to find a person anywhere who over-communicates to their employees.

2. "Cool company but probably not where you want to go for quality work or advancement"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DreamHost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Some really cool people
    * Great halloween and holiday parties
    * Somewhat flexible schedule

Cons

* Several key management personnel and many underlings have a coke/drug/party problem.
    * Executiveship is a bro club, be prepared to be the cool likable guy to try to move up
    * Pay is good if you're just starting in your career but it gets pretty bad pretty quick if you have any sort of experience. They don't pay market rates for their developers, engineers, or advanced IT staff.
    * The platform is an absolute mess. Be prepared to work on ancient programming languages, paradigms, and all their apps need a reboot. Specifically, the web panel and back-end systems are mostly written in Perl. Don't think you're gonna be able to add React or something to your CV by working here.

Advice to Management

Half the people in the company want to go back to the roots, the other half want to work at a mature tech company.. ya'll need to pick what you want to be and develop a set of guiding principles to take the company forward. Also, kick out the bad seeds, no matter their position in the company..

"Great Work/Life Balance. Management Needs Pruning."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I have been working at DreamHost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Probably the best company I've ever worked for. Decent pay, wonderful benefits, flex schedule and hip management. The company even caters lunch to all offices twice a week.

Cons

Resources are limited. Team management could be stronger. While the recent re-org helps hold management accountable, it also encourages silos between departments.

Advice to Management

Have the founders go back to managing products, and hire a CEO again. I'd also suggest putting as much trust into your leads as you do your management, and start to enforce accountability.

"Good culture"

Pros

Culture
    Activities
    Environment
    Adult parties
    Good for a starter company

Cons

Pay
    Hours
    Dedication requested
    No family parties
    No room for advancement

"Business Development Manager"

I worked at DreamHost full-time

Pros

The four co-founders are awesome and ran the business in a very open, flat environment that included hard work and a lot of fun! If you love a non-corporate culture in a mid-sized successful company that gets it right then DreamHost could be an excellent fit.

Cons

They brought in a CEO to run things about 6 months before I left and things changed a bit as he brought a more corporate, VC style to management and brought in some of his own people. The stock buy program is a bit convoluted, not straight forward so make sure you ask about how that works.

Advice to Management

Stick to the roots of the culture it's been successful for 20 years. Continue to look for ways to grow the business with new divisions and products.

"Some good, some bad"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DreamHost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really good people. Lots of really smart people. Company really likes to spoil its employees in some ways (catered lunches, snacks, drinks, outings, etc...). Decent communication within the company. Fairly transparent culture both within and without the company.

Cons

Office politics, behind-the-scenes personal drama, and a few managers who have no clue how to manage.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team, and shoot straight.

7. "Enjoyable work"

I worked at DreamHost full-time

Pros

Relaxed and fun work environment. Free food on certain days. Learn something new everyday.

Cons

Internal tools are outdated. Management can be hard to work with at times.

Advice to Management

Focus on training employees. Be more understanding of the situation.

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

I worked at DreamHost full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks are great -- free food (both snack bar and catered,) free cold drinks of many kinds, a really nice office with secure underground parking which is also paid for by the company, transit passes, 100% company-paid PPO health/vision/dental, lots of parties, nerf guns -- and best of all, every member of the staff is skilled and easy to get along with. Assuming of course that you can handle a constant level of friendly ribbing. The bosses are all very understanding with time off and remote work, there is no "Factory feel" to it like you get at a lot of web hosting companies. There was also no backstabbing or hidden agendas -- everyone works together for the sake of working together. Also, the annual bonuses were sweeeet!

Cons

The only con I found the entire time I worked at DreamHost was the location -- if you work at the office in LA, be prepared for a horrendous commute.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, guys. Working for DreamHost was the best experience of my life and despite how great my new job is, sometimes I still regret leaving. Maybe a slightly more relaxed work-remote policy as far as giving notice (nobody answers a phone and aside from datacenter/network nobody actually *needs* to be in the office to do their job.)

"Great Democratic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Brea, CA

Pros

DreamHost Social Hour, fun place to work with values! They don't take themselves too serious.

Cons

Management sometimes say they want "team members" to have a voice, but often they feel not heard.

10. "I f***ing love working here."

I have been working at DreamHost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am constantly turning down recruiters who contact me because I'm really happy working for DreamHost. I'm sure the experience is different for everybody, but... I have a manager who is technically competent and easy to talk to, and I like all of my coworkers (seriously, I can't think of a single coworker I don't like).

The salary is decent, I get to work with cutting-edge tech, the remote-working policy rules, the company redistributes profits as bonuses and raises for everybody instead of just upper management, we have one of the most LGBT-friendly workplaces I've ever seen, and the company's direction as a whole is incredibly democratic.

Cons

The democratic nature of the company is kind of a double-edged sword; it can take a really long time to get consensus sometimes. The development team could be a lot more diverse. The perks are decent if you're in the main office in LA, but not as ridiculous as some of the startups I've worked for (no free weekly massage or laundry services, free lunch twice a week instead of three free meals a day, etc). From my perspective, there's definitely room to improve, but there's nothing so awful that it can't be fixed, and other people in the company actually care.

Advice to Management

I really think that we need more diversity in the development team. That'd be #1 on my list of "Things we can seriously improve in 2015" if I had such a list.