Dreams Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dreams CEO Mike Logue
Mike Logue

1. "Difficult pressurised job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Dreams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent bonus and some level of autonomy.

Cons

24/7 relentless. no work life balance at all

Advice to Management

relook at how you operate and treat your good people.

2. "Exciting Retailer to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England (UK)

I have been working at Dreams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great time to be working for Dreams, there is so much scope in my job role and so many great projects to get involved with.
    The team I work with are fantastic! and the knowledge the wider Retail team have is remarkable.
    Great place to work!

Cons

I can't find one yet!

3. "3 years and counting...."

I have been working at Dreams part-time

Pros

Having worked here for 3 years, I have seen a number of changes and the business grow from strength to strength. I am proud to be part of a forward thinking and dynamic business.

Cons

There is always room for businesses to improve!

Advice to Management

Always value your loyal staff.

5. "Best employer ever!"

Former Employee - TeleSales Manager in Wednesbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - TeleSales Manager in Wednesbury, England (UK)

I worked at Dreams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huge scope to progress. A company that cares. A family environment thats a fun place to work.

Cons

Red tape that restrict everyone in some way. But rules are rules so I don't thing they can be Blamed really.

Advice to Management

Keep Rocking guys!

6. "Divisional Manager"

Former Employee - Divisional Manager in High Wycombe, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Divisional Manager in High Wycombe, England (UK)

I worked at Dreams (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent culture to work in. Hard work rewarded with good career progression and prospects .

Cons

At the time of employment lack of direction from senior management

7. "Political work environment"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Not alot now,used to have many but succeeded by cons,great exec team,they listen unlike their team below them

Cons

Not a nice place to work anymore, lots of politics,wouldn't recommend it to my enemy ,some new divisional managers are poor are their jobs

Advice to Management

Execs call managers 1nce per month to find out issues

8. "Assistant manager kent"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Gillingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Gillingham, England (UK)

I worked at Dreams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot apart from some nice people but they tend to be the ones getting shot on

Cons

Stuck in its ways
    If you have a store that's failing maybe it's a bad manager
    Manager at the store I worked at was on her phone the entire day on a Saturday falsified health and safety records for months constantly blocked the fire exit with rubish when late would expect other members to sign her into the system using her management pass word would happily steal sales climb onto stock to hang POS and damage it talk to staff like filth and blame any of her store short comings in every one taking no ownership for any thing apart from ideas and successes that were not hers and would not deal with anything confrontational with staff
    Every year takes the black out week at Christmas as her holiday as she sees it as her right calling the regional manager every name under the sun

Advice to Management

Rotate your managers as they have extremely bad habits it's that bad I would advise putting in staff to report what is actually happening

9. "Horrible, hateful and unprofessional place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at Dreams part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to drink tea or coffee on the shop floor with your customers, earning spiffs on certain products at certain times

Cons

I was all set to pass my probationary period when a new regional manager joined the team and told my manager to falsify documents to get rid of me, and he did. I found out about it, but instead of any sort of apology, they humiliated and embarrassed me. I had to sit through an unfair and biased, exhausting and ridiculous grievance meeting conducted by the man who wanted rid of me (how fair), which is when I found out that the manager who acted friendly towards me was actually spreading lies about me.
    There was a lot of nasty competitiveness going on instead of teamwork.
    System is hard to use.
    Cold, unfriendly company.
    Some staff committed activities of gross misconduct on a daily basis, and the manager either joined in or ignored it.
    Customers continually complained about the manager.
    When price matching products that customers can get from competitors much cheaper, you lose your commission.
    I was subject to discrimination by the company and my manager and his manager, and I was also subject to sexist comments made by someone from HO.
    Complicated computer system.
    Very little training.
    Horrible, uncomfortable and unattractive uniform. Staff look scruffy and unkept.
    Really messy, unattractive showroom. Really poor compared to that of local competitors.
    After I left, Dreams did not pay me my outstanding wages. My calls and emails to HO were constantly ignored, and when I did reach the right person, she sent me abuse because she refused to understand that I had been short paid. Eventually I got an email saying my outstanding pay would come to me as a gesture of goodwill, though nobody would admit that they had made a mistake or apologise. As a result, the pay came to me after my contract had been terminated, and it was therefore subject to emergency tax as a result, and I was left very out of pocket.

Advice to Management

Fix the commission structure, staff shouldn't lose money from their commission because they have to price match because you charge more than competitors. Fix the computer systems, the uniform, the horrible attitude that the HR and payroll department have. Rework the graduation period paperwork, or actually use it, and mark your staff fairly and properly against it. Stop people from falsifying documents, increase product training, be fair to people with disabilities, to name a few.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Dreams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The positive culture of the company is very motivating. I like going to work. The managers are encouraged by their Divisional Managers to be happy and have fun with the team. The company culture is one of coaching and that you get more done with honey than with a stick. The teams joke around and banter is encouraged but you do have a sales target to archive. The training is excellent. Dreams takes a very different approach to an otherwise dodgy industry by training you not to force sales or pounce on customers.

Cons

Slow times of the year can get boring waiting for customers. Work Boxing Day and New Years Day but you more that make up for those days in commission.

Advice to Management

During Roadshows, it feels more like a share holders meeting throwing profits figure and forecasts mixed with macroeconomics and stockholder updates at the audience. It's boring for the layman...we just need to know the company is secure. Product updates are much more interesting than knowing what Steinhoff are up to.

"manager"

Pros

not good lack of motivation

Cons

loong hours no social life no recognition