Drexel Chemical Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
  1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Drexel Chemical full-time

Pros

Salaries are 'in-line' for the Memphis area. Work environment is pleasant. Yearly reviews are common. Good location/close to downtown.

Cons

Area is industrial so getting out for lunch and back within an hour is difficult

Advice to Management

Look at expanding break room maybe food options so that people could stay on the premises for lunch.

Drexel Chemical2016-08-08
  2. "They are trying to get better, but they are in no hurry"

Former Employee - Export Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I worked at Drexel Chemical full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to do a lot of different jobs.

Cons

You have to learn a lot on your own.

Advice to Management

Some of the upper management needs to retire. They run a lot of good employees away.

Drexel Chemical2019-08-18

"Stepping Stone Job At Best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Drexel Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the office staff are nice, and the work is extremely repetitive, and therefore easy. We never worked weekends, or past 5:15 PM.

Cons

If you have any amount of professional ambition, you will burn out quickly. There are 6-7 top level managers who make all the decisions, and the rest of the office staff just have to do what they are told. There is no career path of development. If you want a job that you can just work and go home, this is the place. However, if you want to fell ike you are contributing in a meaningful way, you will not get that... sense of accomplishment. There isn't a formal performance management system in place. Reviews for production staff are often done only when someone threatens to quit. Tenured office personnel are kept on staff, even after they become just north of worthless. There is little to no training, both for your job or on safety topics. Privacy and trust is non-existent. Every few seconds, a screenshot of your computer screen is taken, and ALL e-mails send and received are also delivered to multiple managers' inboxes. If you want to be treated like a child in this regard, this is the place. Lastly, the benefits are below average, to say the least. No paid time off for the first year (seriously) and then only one week off for the next two years, and two weeks off annually after that. No sick time, and only 6 holidays a year. The insurance is decent but EXPENSIVE. Family coverage costs the employee around $1000/month for medical only.

Advice to Management

The world is changed from the 1980s. The same policies don't work anymore, and the workforce is not the same. If you don't start doing things to attract (and keep) young talent, eventually all that will be left are the octogenarians.

Drexel Chemical2018-12-17

"Danger apparthied"

Former Employee - Chemist in Memphis, TN

I worked at Drexel Chemical full-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff is very warm and easy to get along and work together.

Cons

The culture was somewhat haphazard and a confusing web of middle managers have communication and organizational skills that we're bewildering and occasionally irresponsible. Also the benefits and pay we're consistently claimed by revolving technical staff to have influenced their decision to resign.

Advice to Management

Expectations of job performance, responsibilities and haphazard and inconsistent expectations on timelines and made striving for success seem pointless because one never knew what surprises the blame game could cook up next

Drexel Chemical2018-08-18

"Don't just walk away from Drexel....RUN!! DO NOT WORK THERE!!"

I worked at Drexel Chemical full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was decent...but that's it.

Cons

Where do I start....They don't care about ANY of their employees. They treat them all like crap. If you're sick...they don't care. They micromanage every little thing that you do. They monitor how often you use the bathroom and how long you stay in there. They monitor your computer usage and will call you out if you do ANYTHING personal on your computer, even if it's just for a few minutes. But the most... annoying thing is they are SO unorganized! There's no clear hierarchy of management. No one knows who to report to. Everyone in management thinks that THEY are the "boss," but no one communicates with each other. They expect you to work like a dog with no break for 8 hours. Don't you dare get back from lunch 10 minutes late!! They'll know!! Also, you get fewer vacation days, holidays, personal days, and sick days than most jobs. HORRIBLE place to work.

Advice to Management

Require everyone over the age of 60 to retire. New blood is needed to completely change the horrible culture at this place!

Drexel Chemical2018-04-09

"Not a Great Work Environment"

I worked at Drexel Chemical full-time

Pros

Pay wasn't too terrible. Some of the people who work there are really nice.

Cons

Company does not care about you as a person. 5 rude coworkers for every 1 nice one. My boss would follow us if we left the room to make sure we were just going to the bathroom and would time us while we were in there. Also threw a pack of staples at my head when I gave him the wrong size for his stapler. The chemical smell starts to seep into everything.

Drexel Chemical2017-12-01

"There might be worse places to work...but I can't imagine many."

Former Employee - Supervisor in Memphis, TN

I worked at Drexel Chemical full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay check never bounced. Some of the people in the office were nice.

Cons

Let's see... Ungodly hot in the plants. Little to no training. Horrible safety program. "Legal" workforce barely speaks English. Overbearing/reactionary management. Company is ran by accountants. I could go on. I gave 1 star because you have to give something.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and retire.

Drexel Chemical2017-12-10

"Unbelievable. Highly unprofessional. A joke of a company."

Former Employee - Maintenance in Tunica, MS

I worked at Drexel Chemical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This place is better than watching tv!! You never know what you will see. Just when you think that it can't get any worse/crazy/dumber, it does. More drama than a mid day soap opera.

Cons

Pay is bottom of the barrel. The few people that are in power and make the decisions have no common sense and are in over their head. Way too many serious mistakes. Dangerous place to work at times.

Advice to Management

Be more professional. Stop micromanaging everything. Get something that you can offer employees to make someone want to work there. Hold people accountable for there actions, even the ones in higher management. Leave the 1940's and enter 2017.

Drexel Chemical2017-09-04

"Don't go unless you're desperate"

Line Worker in Memphis, TN

I worked at Drexel Chemical for less than a year

Pros

Pay every week, work hours,

Cons

Minimum wage, no hazardous pay, no air in summer , No raises, Unorganized , does not care about you as a human being

Advice to Management

Raise the pay and realize your employees are human

Drexel Chemical2017-07-19

"Stay away"

I worked at Drexel Chemical full-time

Pros

Most of the employees are very pleasant to be around. The hourly wage is ok.

Cons

The benefits are horrible. The medical insurance is very expensive, and there is no PTO offered.

Advice to Management

Offer a better benefits package, and maybe your turnover rate will go down.

Drexel Chemical2016-08-07