KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Drift Reviews

Updated Sep 23, 2022

Found 220 of over 232 reviews

3.9
Drift Chief Executive Officer Scott Ernst   (no image)
Scott Ernst

What people are saying about Drift

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great culture and values.(in 28 reviews)
  • "Efficiency in process, great people(in 20 reviews)
  • "Team is great and fun to work with.(in 15 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and focus on always learning.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Drift is a dynamic, high velocity start up with experienced leadership in every department.(in 11 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Drift and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

One of the best decisions of my career

Jul 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Career mobility - I've had the opportunity to both lead teams and change depts during my 4+ years a Drift. Leadership was supportive when I decided to make a career change. The skills I've developed are transferrable to future career opportunities. - Significant autonomy and ownership once you earn trust - having a digital first environment and access to offices is a plus. - Competitive comp and benefits - flex PTO (company went above and beyond for an unexpected leave situation). - People are incredible. Some of the best individuals I've had the good fortune of working with and learning from.

Cons

- Need to improve communication and change management - Need better cross-team collaboration and goal setting at the leadership level (sales, marketing, product, CS etc). Have seen work duplicated or unnecessary work taken on, need more accountability across teams. - Requires strong prioritization and boundary setting - have seen people burn out. - 401K match

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Incredible company for career growth and learning!

Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at Drift for almost 4 years and it has been a wild ride. It's honestly one of the best decisions I've made and helped me make a complete pivot 10+ years into my career. I started by spending my time helping our teams grow and building deep partnerships with some of our key leaders. Our Chief People Officer saw my individual potential and encouraged me to make a move into a new function. I felt seen and supported in so many meaningful ways. We care deeply about our people, nurturing their individual strengths, and growing their potential. The company has also gone through multiple different stages over those 4 years and with each move, I've learned a ton. The company and its leaders are transparent about the decisions made and the context that informed those decisions. They are diligent and consistent in this practice and they are honest when we made the wrong decision. Sometimes we struggle to identify failures but we move quickly to resolve them once we do. Bias for action is in our cultural DNA!

Cons

We are an incredibly ambitious group of people. This is not a con but it can be a challenge to coordinate & focus well as we scale. The biggest con I see is that we sometimes let our bias for action show its "dark side" meaning we love to move fast but we forget to look far enough ahead or we focus on too many problems vs. the most critical problem at hand. This can lead to duplicative efforts and frustration across levels.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to learn and grow your career

Business Outlook

Pros

I've been here for 3+ years and when you look back Drift has grown and evolved so much from its stage, employee size, to our product - it's been a fun ride that is still going! - Fast paced - you get the opportunity to stretch your skills, think strategically, and be challenged every day - You get to see your impact almost daily - Really strong sr. leadership team that is truly energizing to work with daily - Reward and recognition for high performance - Autonomy in your day to day - Digital-first environment - you get true flexibility here and the company is really thoughtful in how teams come together - Very strong and highly collaborative and supportive teammates - Good compensation - I am constantly surprised by the comments on low compensation... - L&D programs for managers in different stages of their careers + programming for individual contributors too - Flexible PTO that you can actually take - Sabbatical program

Cons

- Fast-paced can be a pro and a con. We pivot often and quickly and sometimes that can create a bit of thrash, but for the right person, if you can thrive in this environment, you'll enjoy the opportunity and reap the rewards of it. - 401K match could be better, but that will come with time

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place for high growth potential

Sep 23, 2022 - Manager- Solutions Consulting in Bozeman, MT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Drift is a place where you have the autonomy to make your own decisions day to day, week to week, and really take your career where you want it to go. Drift encourages employees to take initiative and drive their own projects from beginning to end, so if you like moving fast and actioning on your own ideas then you'll fit right in at Drift.

Cons

As in any fast growing company, Drift has a lot of people making a lot of decisions quickly. This means information is coming at you fast and from a lot of places. Learning how to prioritize what information is important or unimportant for your role is a vital skill.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great colleagues, flawed leadership

Sep 7, 2022 - Conversation Designer in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The co-workers on the conversation design team were all fabulous to work with. Honestly one of the best groups I've had the pleasure to work with. Work-life balance was pretty good!

Cons

Too many to share! But the main problem is the thin-skinned and short-sighted leadership. Criticism-averse leaders from the team managers up to the very top. They range from the inexperienced who haven't worked long enough in general to know how to people-manage, to the department heads who lead us into demoralizing territory through questionable decision-making. They bleed talent like a sieve because conversation designers are treated progressively worse over time. When I was there, we lost designers every month, partially because of how awful the pay was, but increasingly because of how poorly the department was being managed. It only got worse over time, and recently they laid off 30 employees. Hupergrowth indeed. Conversation designers: Stay far away. And expect to make half the industry standard here. 65k tops. You will not have a path towards advancement here, and you will be treated as the least-valuable component of the company. You will never be heard. Also, the product is one of the simplest NLU platforms out there. Search elsewhere. I'm looking forward to seeing the HR people come in and try to discredit this review like they have for all of the other negative ones here.

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A Realistic Perspective

Sep 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

As someone who has worked for and with a number of tech companies for 10+ years, I have come to appreciate the authenticity of the leadership at Drift. At the end of the day, Drift is a business and you will be hard pressed to find the picture perfect culture that you are looking for at any company, including tech companies . Yes, we are undergoing/have undergone changes and growing pains, but that is normal. Yes, people have left and will leave, but once again, that’s normal. In an age where the average tenure of a tech employee is 1-2 years its bound to happen. DC, a company founder, while liked and respected by many has moved into a role as Executive Chairman and we have a new CEO who is tasked with taking the company to the next level. From a career perspective we are in that sweet spot between a startup and a well established enterprise, where you can experience tremendous growth as an employee. This ambiguity and change isn’t a good fit for everyone and if you do not know how to advocate for yourself internally, you will learn how to. The important thing here is communication and transparency. If you need help - ask for it. If you are overwhelmed - say something. Drift does not have a culture where you will be slapped on the wrist for expressing how you feel, especially if you are solution oriented. Pros: + Growth opportunity. + No fear of failure if you are transparent and willing to collaborate. + Innovative thinkers. + People first company (they truly do encourage you to use your unlimited PTO - I have taken more than any other job) and communication/transparency.

Cons

- There is definitely still some confusion around the direction of the company, despite leadership “off the cuff” attempts to address this. We are getting lots of little bits and pieces and it really is hard to put together a holistic view/not filter for bad vs. positive information. - Top performers should be compensated accordingly. If looking at internal equity when making offers, raise salaries for current employees who are performing well when conducting reviews, or give them an indication that this is going to happen if they need to wait and follow through. - To the point above, we really need to dial down on performance metrics at an individual level. I have been seeing more push back here, but it needs to be “what” is/does performance look like/what is more impactful, not just “how” we feel about how people are doing and how good they are at plugging themselves at the company. Some functions do this, but not all.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Current Employee

Company Layoffs, Lack of Direction

Business Outlook

Pros

The people are pretty nice. Mostly young culture.

Cons

The company just laid off 30+ people and doesn't seem to know how to grow its business anymore. Sales positions and sales leadership have experienced a lot of turnover in the last 6-9 months since their CRO Todd left. Product innovation is slow Little transparency around how the business is really doing $$$ Customer turnover seems high Overall moral seems low $500 annual 401k "match"

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0

Worst Company I Have Ever Worked For

Jun 29, 2022 - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Remote work environment - Passionate employees (until they realize what's truly behind the curtain) - Owned by Vista (hopefully they will turn this company around and force management to act like grown ups)

Cons

- Terrible pay after the initial offer to get you in the door. Stingy raises (if any) from there on out - Benefits are crap - Managers often get paid less than individual contributors - New equity grants (if you're able to even get any) are worth considerably less now that PE firm bought company - No 401K match (ok...like $500 a year...so nothing) - No significant employee benefits after the standard medical, dental, and eye, and basic employee life - No life insurance options for supplemental or spouse - HR treats you like garbage - Middle management and even some senior management are a bunch of kids who have never been a manager in their lives (and act like it) - Incredibly unprofessional culture (execs all swear constantly on calls...favorite phrase is Let's F*cking Go") - Very one-sided on the political spectrum and does not tolerate alternative views or makes you feel like crap for having one - Shady sales practices - Completely flailing the past 2 years - All VPs and execs who were there one year ago have all quit except the CTO. One was fired. The rest did in fact quit, some without even having another job lined up because they just wanted to get the hell out of there

14 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Comp, Great Culture, No Stock Options

Mar 3, 2022 - Professional Services Consultant in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Culture is amazing! Especially on the Professional Services team. - Encourages you to take PTO. - Weekly product and departmental office hours to ask questions - GREAT communication and Slack utilization, there are channels for asking quick customer questions you need answers to ASAP, and employees answer very quickly. - Great virtual/digital first culture and deployment. - Ample resources and WFH stipend - Drift, like any startup after unicorn status, is a fast-moving company. That means there are constant changes, process improvements, new tools to be implemented, deck upgrades, responsibility realignments between roles (such as CSMs, OBMs, etc).

Cons

- No equity or stock as part of comp. package for individual contributors - No word on when or if stock will be offered to employees again - Fast-paced, sometimes expectations can be unclear - Lots of company growing pains, process changes, responsibility realignment, new tool implementation. Classic unicorn startup problems. - Somewhat high turnover (probably Great Resignation effect)

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Absolute Joke - Max Cult Culture

Aug 22, 2022 - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free snacks & lunch in the office - literally the only thing

Cons

HORRIBLE culture. CEO is literally a cult leader, they force you to constantly post on social media about how WONDERFUL Drift is, and have a constant pattern of gaslighting sales reps and firing/high turnover. My team was cut from 19 to 8 after Covid hit. CEO called company meeting saying "most important priority is keeping everyones jobs" and then immediately started firing people

11 people found this review helpful

Drift Response

VP, People

Hi there, we appreciate you taking the time to write this. Based on your review it looks like you were with Drift quite a while ago. (We also miss the free lunch from our in-office days - we’re a Digital First company now!) If you have specific CURRENT feedback that you think could help us continue to improve our company culture I encourage you to reach out to me directly dupton@drift.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 220 Reviews

Drift Reviews FAQs

Drift has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 232 reviews left anonymously by employees. 73% of employees would recommend working at Drift to a friend and 69% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Drift employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Drift. This rating has improved by 9% over the last 12 months.

73% of Drift employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Drift 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Drift to be benefits, senior leadership, career development and the cons to be management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Drift Job Seekers