DriveTime Automotive Group Reviews | Glassdoor

DriveTime Automotive Group President and CEO Ray Fidel
Ray Fidel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Innovative industry leader! Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working for Drivetime. I have always had an interest in selling cars, but the safety of a guaranteed salary made it a no brainer. I work with a great group of people at the Pershall Rd. location, with supportive management. The new 4 day on, 3 day off schedule is a breath of fresh air! My goal is to make it to corporate eventually as a collections manager, and I feel this is a great steppingstone. I'd recommend this company to anyone seeking career growth with a strong employer.

Cons

None that I have encountered. Work life balance has become of great importance, and it shows in the employee morale.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. There are many happy employees who appreciate all you do!

Oct 17, 2016 – Talent

We are happy to hear our new flex schedule is making a difference in your work and life balance! Thanks for positive words and encouragement to our leadership and management teams.

"The hearts of men have grown tired and weak."

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the inspection center side of this company, hours are fair with most weekends off.

Benefits provided are also some of the best I've experienced with a company.

Cons

Working for DriveTime has shown me the true colors of the illusionist that keep this machine moving. DriveTime will preach growth, career pathing, individuality, but is it truly welcomed? They will use something they call "Emotional Intelligence." to tug at your heart strings and manipulate you into thinking or doing things that are actually not to your benefit, but theirs. I've watched Directors embarrass their employees in front of others for their own personal gain. I've watched general managers praise people development, but speak about them negatively behind their backs. False leadership perpetuates in this organization. Blind to all but power, profit, and gain.

This company lacks an HR department and has something called "Talent Support." Which I have seen commenting on some of reviews for this originzation. Employees are encouraged to call this number, but when they do, they are attacked and ostracized until emotionally defeated that they quit. If talent support truly cared about its employees, it would actively seek resolutions with the employee itself. Not send directors who are the problem to resolve them. I challenge talent support to be there to help mitigate and solve these problems amicably. Actions speak louder than words as they say.

Lastly, are this companies AMP candidates. DriveTime has a program that allows individuals not truly expirienced in the automotive world become leaders within the company. These individuals are usually brought in as General Managers or Directors. As I've seen it, these individuals hold these positions very sacred, and will do anything that they can to hold on to them. These individuals are not truly open to feedback or suggestions. There is no teamwork involved, no conversing, and most of all, no leadership. Their intentions when affecting the business are purely selfish. These individuals lack the basic problem solving skills, the cognition, the open mindedness that it takes to operate a successful business. If you are an intellectual, you will be perceived as a threat and immediately socially oppressed, to prevent you from ever achieving personal growth.

Advice to Management

Success has made you complacent. You have lost sight of what's truly important in life and have let primitive individuals control your company. Fear has become the weapon of choice.

Ray, you should be ashamed.

Sep 15, 2017 – Talent Support Specialist

We’re sorry to hear you feel this way and had negative experiences. DriveTime strives to develop a culture that embraces collaboration and does not tolerate retaliation. While you are entitled to... More

3. "Educational and instructive"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leads are already given to you... you don't have to bird dog. The culture breeds growth!

Cons

phone calls, phone calls phone calls!!!!! Long hours (at times)

Advice to Management

Be realistic.

Sep 13, 2017 – Talent

We are glad to hear you believe in the culture of the company and that it has a positive impact on your career. Thank you for the positive review!

4. "Another job"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's nice to get paid hourly plus commission. Traditional dealerships are mostly only paid commission so that's a plus for me.

Cons

Poor management, micro managing due to lack of training now the beginning. Don't like the fact that when you make a mistake, you are basically chewed out for it.

Sep 12, 2017 – Talent

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. Transparency in feedback, both positive and constructive, is a large part of DriveTime culture however we are disappointed to hear your experience... More

5. "DISAPPOINTED"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefit, opportunity to make good money. Most cars are good. Room to grow. I believe DT is good company.

Cons

No work life balance. Working 10-12 plus hours 3-4 days out of 5 is so hard on personal life. Management does not care if you have plans for the evening. They will insist on you taking a customer 45 minutes or less before your off time, which means you are stuck there for 3-5 more hours. GM is lazy, disappears for long times when needed. Sales managers can be mean to you. If you sale good they overlook negative behavior. The F word is used out loud by management when referringn to customers. So unprofessional. I'm disappointed with this place. NO WORK LIFE BALANCE!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "do as I say not as I do. Stop walking the floor eating your lunch in front of customers. So tacky. Stop treating customers like you are better than them. Respect all of your staff. We make your bonus goals, not you!

Sep 12, 2017 – Talent

We are glad to hear your overall positive view of the company. Our leaders are held to high expectations so we are disappointed to hear that you feel your leaders didn't meet them. We appreciate your... More

6. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - General Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent compensation package with benefits

Cons

Work life balance is poor especially with growth in company

Sep 5, 2017 – Talent

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. As a company, we believe in giving employees a good work/life balance however we understand that retail hours, especially with increased... More

7. "Good Work Environment"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Advisor

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Atmosphere
    Want to see you succeed
    Room to grow with Company
    East to relocate to another location

Cons

Long Hours during tax season
    Late nights

Sep 1, 2017 – Talent Support Specialist

We're glad you enjoyed our culture and your time with the company! Tax Season is our peak-time and long hours typically come with higher bonuses for our Sales Teams.

8. "Cool for starting off"

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Good employees
    Fun environment

Cons

Favorites are the ones that get promoted

Advice to Management

Seek out those that are capable of being supervisors not those that are liked

Aug 25, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We believe in the fair and equitable treatment of employees and strive to ensure that interested employees are given the opportunity to advance.

9. "Sales Manager/Sales Advisor"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay if you work at high lead volume dealerships. Base salary ($32k for sales advisor to $40k for sales manager) plus commission (based on the number of units sold). Good benefits from health insurance plans, dental, vision, 401K and PTO. Trips to corp office in Phoenix are fun. You'll meet some great people there, and create long term friendship but you'll also meet very negative people. Employees get good discounts on vehicles and service contracts (warranty). Some senior sales advisors and all sales managers get a company driver, which is great. GREAT training at all levels

Cons

Culture is changing from fun and friendly to more of a cut throat mentality. For the past two years the company has been changing their underwriting guidelines a lot. This year, 2017, it seemed that every week there was a change that benefited the company and frustrated its employees. Pay structures changes every year, making it harder for employees to make more money. LONG HOURS!!!! Work life balance is rough due to the fact that you have to stay until every customer is gone. That means even if it is 12am!!! The longest I stayed was 1am and as a sales manager I stilled had to open the next day at 9am!! ALOT of layoffs this year due to branch closings and re-structure of the company. STRESS and ANXIETY!!! not because of how hard the work is but because of the long hours and negative people working there making your work life very hard. GMs and some managers hold grudges if you try to speak up or give constructive feedback about what they are doing bad. Managers turn the blind eye to negative actions if a sales advisor is selling. I saw a lot of people get promoted because they became friends with upper managers. Co-workers still call me to say that they hate it and want to leave Drivetime.

Advice to Management

AMPS are not always the best! Specially when tenured Sales Managers having been at the dealership. Stop making so many changes, its hard for employees to adapt to so many changes.

Aug 21, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for taking the time to give us your detailed feedback. This year has been a year of many changes and although the changes are made in an effort to grow and an improve, we recognize that... More

10. "Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New buildings the facilities were nice

Cons

The pay kept going down as you moved up
    The Hours were not healthy