DriveTime Automotive Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Don Reese

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • however there is no work life balance (in 99 reviews)

• Long hours sometimes you skip lunch (in 76 reviews)

1. "Fun at first"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a good experience working at Drivetime. When I was there, I was coached well and even though I had no experience in working in the car industry I caught on quickly.

Cons

Promotions are very rare.

Advice to Management

Stop taking your anger out on employees when your budget isn’t being met.

May 23, 2018 – Talent

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your positive and constructive feedback. Employee coaching, development and growth are a top priority for our company. We are happy to hear that you felt... More

"Random layoffs, unfair benefits to "Favorites""

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DriveTime tends to have a hard time recruiting new talent in the valley because of their shaky reputation as an employer. Because of this, you may be able to get hired here if you are trying to break into a new industry at the entry level. For example, if you have no IT experience, you probably have a higher chance of being hired for an IT role at DriveTime than other companies. So it can be a place to get your foot in the door if you have no other options.

Cons

DriveTime's business is on shaky grounds. Last year there were four rounds of company-wide layoffs where they laid off a good deal of top performers that had some of the higher salaries, at least in IT.

Also, there are wide discrepancies between salary and benefits of employees at the same level. For example, some managers get corporate drivers (free company cars) while others do not. Some employees are paid $20k or $30k less than their peers for the same role. If you are promoted from within, you will likely get the short end of the stick in these situations. This type of unfairness really starts to eat at you after a while, especially if you are working harder or contributing more than someone who has less responsibility but who is getting paid much more. And I've heard that if you speak up about these discrepancies, you will be considered "not a culture fit" and will be on the short list of future layoffs. So most people try and keep their heads down about this type of thing, which kind of makes it worse.

Other than that, management is pretty poor in terms of coaching and providing a fair culture. They tend to gaslight a lot, reward based on loyalty more than anything, gossip relentlessly, and will push you around in general if you let them. So you have to have thick skin to work here.

If you are a senior developer, these cons tend to not be as bad, as they are pretty desperate for senior technical talent.

Advice to Management

“Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.” - Warren Buffett

3. "Sold Over"

Former Employee - Laborer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Laborer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay, good work life balance.

Cons

No Benefitsf being a small company, The company has an unsustainable model in itself. They buy in bulk from china (all their equipment) but not enough to stay competitive with others who sell the exact same stuff at a cheaper rate.

May 23, 2018 – Talent

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback but do want to ensure that you are aware that our company offers full benefits to employees including medical, dental, vision, 401K match and... More

4. "Licensing coordinator"

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits for employees at hone office

Cons

Management doesn’t properly notify employees

May 17, 2018 – Talent

Thank you for your positive review! Glad to see you enjoy the great benefits we offer as a company!

"DriveTime is a joke!"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Houston, TX

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Let me think....I’ll get back to you on that one! It’s not very many pros! The organizational culture is so toxic that it has eroded anything positive!

Cons

This is a warning to any serious sales professional thinking about joining this company, please don’t! During this review I will use the words “allegedly” and “suspected” to save myself from any legal ramifications. This company is allegedly rigged up for the most senior advisors to sale the most vehicles. It has been suspected that sales managers have played favoritism with certain advisors by giving them the best leads. DriveTime entire sales process is nostalgic compared to its competitors. This company make its advisors work the whole deal from start to finish. It is a major distraction to worry about things that’s unrelated to selling vehicles. Also, since this company does not have a competitive advantage, they make the associates call a minimum of 50 customers a day. The sales managers are mere hall monitors that’s over paid! In lieu of developing DriveTime’s sales advisors, they send useless emails all day pressuring them to hit metrics. The sales advisors as well as managers have allegedly been robbing the owner of this company blind for years. Multiple advisors and managers are currently under investigation for fudging numbers and assisting customers with submitting fraudulent documents. This company will remain stagnant and will not grow as long as it have the “bad apples” there. To any potential true sales professional thinking about taking a job with this company, you have been warned!

Advice to Management

Make sure that the sales managers put into place are thoroughly vetted. Just because a sales advisor has consistently reached the company metrics doesn’t mean they are management material. Anyone can send out a series of emails all day with metrics in them. It takes a real savvy person to lead and develop a sales staff. Your current sales managers are allegedly killing the morale in your stores and causing a high turnover. This company is already hemorrhaging money due to loan defaults, so why add to the problem by wasting more money on high turnover!

May 17, 2018 – Talent

At DriveTime, we are a business that prides itself in empowering our employees and giving them the tools and knowledge necessary to take ownership of their sales and to grow as leaders in the... More

"Every Day That I Come To Work Feels Like The Red Wedding From Game of Thrones"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Base salary for sales and management. Some weekends (when we behave) we get to wear jeans!!!!!!!!

Cons

This company reminds me of the scene in the Neverending Story when Atreyu is trudging through the Swamp of Sadness. Right now I see Artex sinking to his death, and I'm just screaming, "Artax!!!! Stupid horse! You've got to move or you'll die!!!" But unfortunately Drivetime will not work to save itself or its employees. The following is a list of reasons why I will be leaving after almost five years.1) All or nothing budgets. There have been months where one car was worth close to $10,000 in bonus payout. This causes an unnecessary level of stress, and leads to dishonest behavior.2) The company has decided that it wants to change to a traditional model with higher credit clientele, but has offered 0 flexibility and has alienated their core business, before getting the tools needed to succeed with these customers (a person with an 800 FICO still has to give us a check stub and a down payment).3) Promotions are obtained by agreeing to move to very undesirable locations. Basically, you uproot your family in order to get a "favor" to cash in later. You don't necessarily need to be good, just willing to move at a moment's notice. This leads to actual qualified candidates to be passed over in favor of fulfilling a favor for somebody else.4) Mind games. The culture here is designed to make you question your own sanity. Upper management treats their employees with the same dishonest tactics that they train to use on their customers. Employee concerns are not solved, they're "talked off".5) Nothing is ever good enough. My job is threatened on a weekly basis, no matter how well I have been doing, there is always another ball drop that is being focused on.

Advice to Management

Reexamine your humanity.

May 17, 2018 – Talent

Thank you for your feedback. As a company, we are constantly seeking to improve our strategies in order to better meet the needs of our customers in an ever-changing industry. We understand that with... More

"Frequent Layoffs, High Stress, and Low Pay"

Former Employee - IT Management in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Management in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are entry level and have no experience, DriveTime can be a good place to work for a year or two to get your foot in the door for a new profession. Once you have some experience, it would be unwise to stick around, as DriveTime generally pays quite a bit below market, especially to those they promote from within.
    As a 5-year DriveTime veteran and former "rising star" with management experience, I can give you the inside scope on how things work at DriveTime.

Cons

The first thing to understand about DT is that people are rewarded almost entirely by loyalty, and little respect is paid to competence or merit. This "loyalty carrot" is a surprisingly open idea in the culture, which contributes to a highly political environment and leaves most people with little natural motivation to contribute and work hard as they know this behavior won't be rewarded fairly.

To mitigate this motivation void, management uses shame tactics, gas-lighting, and emotional manipulation to try and make you work hard and well enough as to not make them look bad, which is the outcome they care about almost exclusively.

As a manager, about half of my day was devoted to management-only meetings where my director and other senior managers would spend most of this time gossiping and complaining about their employees, sharing needlessly embarrassing details about other people and even other managers that weren't in the room. I often imagined what they said about me when I wasn't in the room. It was frustrating and emotionally exhausting to spend this much of my life accomplishing and learning absolutely nothing, and trying to not drown in the unrelenting pettiness. I received absolutely no coaching or professional development while at DriveTime, and only rose through the ranks (3 promotions) by relentlessly sucking up to management because I wanted to break into a new field.

Another stress factor is the frequent and random layoffs, and the types of people they decide to layoff. In my last year (2017), there were 4 rounds of layoffs, which is a pretty typical amount. Three of these layoffs happened after the CEO promised "No more layoffs" for that year. These layoffs occur because banks have mostly stopped investing in DriveTime's portfolio of deep subprime loans, and now DT cannot raise enough cash to sustain its current levels of business. Thus they have been forced to move "up market" and begin trying sell to people with better credit, but they have little chance of competing with CarMax and others in this market, and thus continue laying people off.

But what's most concerning is who DriveTime decides to layoff. Management looks at these layoffs as opportunities to get rid of people who they feel are either not "loyal enough" (aka disagree with management about anything at all), or if they feel someone is "too good" and may want a manager's current role in the future. In reality, these people are often ambitious, highly competent, well-meaning people who are just trying to get ahead by doing what would be rewarded in most other organizations.

I've been a part of the conversations where they decide who to lay off and it is sickening. Absolutely no warning to the people being laid off, and lip service reasons. They told one of their most competent, senior Business Analysts that she was "too technical". In reality, that BA voiced very minor disagreements with her manager about how to approach a design assignment.

Only after interviewing with several companies in the valley have I realized just how poor of an environment DriveTime is. My only regret is staying for as long as I did. I am now paid over 45% more, I'm learning more, have less stress, and I'm treated like an adult at work now. I wish that I could get those precious years back as I could have easily gotten better pay, less stress, a better work life balance, more fulfilling work, and far better professional growth.

Advice to Management

You can't control the layoffs, but you can control your culture. If you can get over your own insecurities and emotional impulses to gossip about your employees, you won't see your people as such a threat, you will have the courage to recruit and reward top performers, and you can begin to turn the ship around. Just don't forget to bring a life vest in case the whole thing sinks soon due to market forces outside your control.

May 14, 2018 – Talent

Thank you for providing your feedback. The concerns you have detailed in no way represent our company’s culture so while we respect your perspective, we disagree in your assertion that our company... More

8. "Sales Advisor"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Judson, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Judson, TX

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is not bad. Salary plus commission.

Cons

Longer hours, they tie your hands so its very hard to be innovative

May 3, 2018 – Talent

Thank you for your positive and constructive feedback. Glad to hear you appreciated our base salary and commission opportunities!

9. "Great Culture, Lower than Market Pay"

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Great people, amazing office, flexible work environment, empowered employees

Cons

Pay is less than market, systems are very old, hours can be long

Advice to Management

Invest in systems to improve reporting and employee retention

May 10, 2018 – Talent

Thanks for the positive review! We are proud to have such great employees and providing a positive and empowering culture is important to us!

10. "it's aight"

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

this is a stress free place

Cons

however there is no work life balance

May 2, 2018 – Talent

We appreciate your feedback! Having a positive and stress-free workplace environment is important to us. We also value our employee's work-life balance and appreciate your feedback on this.