DriveTime Automotive Group Reviews | Glassdoor

DriveTime Automotive Group Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work-life balance as good as can be for a car sales job (in 21 reviews)

• The best team work environment of any sales job I've ever I had (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is a balance sometimes you get it sometimes you don't (in 77 reviews)

• Long hours it makes no sense that the hours the dealerships are open basically have no life (in 58 reviews)

1. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Montgomery, AL

Pros

Bonus Potential was great incentive

Cons

Risk vs reward for the long hours was not always there

Jun 16, 2016 – HR

Thanks for the review. What can we do to make it a 5-star place to work? Please talk to with your GM or call our Speak Up Line - we'd love to hear our feedback from current employees.

"What A Ride.."

Former Employee - Online Buyer II in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Online Buyer II in Mesa, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard work pays off. I was promoted 6 times in less than 4 years and I started on the lower end of the retail side. (And don't get me wrong, I worked hard and was a pleasure to work with, but it still boils down to who you know). Resources to be a better person at work and personally are limitless.The people you work with at DT are phenomenal, an amazing culture. The company does a great job during their hiring process to make sure their culture is secure. Be vocal about career growth! If you just put your head down and work hard everyday, it won't be enough. If you're on the retail side of the company, expect long hours with a manageable salary.

Cons

At-will employment. I was employed with DT for four years. In May '16, I received my 6th promotion with the company #woohoo only to find out that it did not come with a pay raise. After a closed door meeting with an assistant director to discuss my displeasure, I came out of it feeling okay after he further broke down the pay scale. I agreed to the terms of the promotion on Monday and asked if we could loop back on Friday. So promoted on Monday without pay, had a meeting, agreed to the terms of my promotion, asked for follow-up meeting to take place on Friday, I was let go that Thursday. So be vocal, but not too vocal lol

When I started with the company they obviously were not as well known as they are now (and even now Carmax still has the advantage), so everything about it had a family feel to it. You always felt as though DT cared about its employees, but the bigger it has gotten over the past couple years, the more and more that feeling goes away. Can't remember the last time I received a Wellness Grant email. #momoneymoproblems
    First company I worked for out of college, I am thankful more than anything and I truly understand business.

And DO NOT TRUST THAT SPEAK UP LINE! It's not confidential and everyone will you know you called.

P.S. Play the game and get in the "Good Ole Boys Club" if you want fast advancement, they even started letting women in.

Advice to Management

Learn how to protect your good employees and if a meeting is "closed door", keep it that way.
    Management has too many friends.

Jun 16, 2016 – HR

I'm sorry to hear about your separation from DriveTime and understand that it can be a roller coaster of emotions. While it may not matter now, our Speak Up line is indeed 100% confidential and ... More

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Accountant in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Drivetime is a great company that has a lot of good things going for it. The best thing would be that Drivetime allows young people out of college the opportunity to see the whole business which is hard to come by. Also, Drivetime is a fairly new company which promotes the fact that you can get exposure to unique business opportunities. Another thing is that the company has a culture that promotes innovation and thinking outside the box. Drivetime is also a rapidly growing company, not just in sub prime auto sales but in other avenues as well. Overall Drivetime is a good company that provides exposure that might take years to get somewhere else.

Cons

Drivetime, like every company does a lot a good things but lacks in others. Some of the things mentioned earlier, like Drivetime being a fairly new company, contribute to some of the flaws. Drivetime is still trying to figure things out which takes time and slows other aspects of the company. I am not here to rag on Drivetime because I think it is a good company with people who mean well but are just not there yet. The people I worked with understand why I left and the reasons I left. Just don't be the "Johnny Manziel" of the department!

Advice to Management

Drivetime has identified some of their weaknesses and are working on them. My advice would be to keep up the hard work because I think they will get where they want to be eventually.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay plan,great benefits medical, dental,vision,401K, company car. Great culture, fair work life balance. Clear career path.

Cons

Retail hours, vehicle reconditioning sometimes not what it should be, difficulty to get vehicles repaired after delivered to lot.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep culture the same, work life balance and a clear career path for all employees .

"Fun times"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great salary for those driven by meeting monthly goals. Company vehicles for management. Even entry level positions get paid well

Cons

If you're in management expect to work a lot of hours. That said, you do not have a personal life.

"EPIC 13 YEARS"

Former Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - GENERAL SALES MANAGER in Tampa, FL

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have a voice regardless of the position you hold in the organization. Work hard, prove yourself, and you will advance. The Navy has a " Top Gun", for the best of the best fighter pilots to make it there you simply have to be the best of the best. DriveTime is the "Top Gun" of the used car industry. A quality used car, a great customer experience, and unique collection practice that treats the subprime customer with respect through the entire process that is duplicated at their 100 or more facilities. The best medical coverages, high paying salaries, 401K, expense accounts, paid trips, cash giveaways, these folks reward hard work, simple as that! DriveTime will be what you make it! Looking for just a job to pay the bills this is not the place for you. Looking for a career, an opportunity, this is the place for you. I seen this company sail straight through one of the worst times for the auto industry 2004, 2005, 2006 and adapting to this ever so changing market. They still remain the largest privately owned used car company in the US. A great opportunity that comes with proven stability and you will always be treated with respect.

Cons

It's the car business so the hours can be long at times. Still Top Gun: Sunday's off, one guaranteed day off a week, and about three weeks paid time off for the tenured employee. The Con is 50 hours plus at times. Again car business outside of DriveTime is generally every other weekend, a scheduled 50-70 hour work week, and a week a year paid time off.

Advice to Management

Coach versus manage! In your communications use the word we versus I. Be loyal to your team and don't suck up to upper management it's not needed. Hire more women! Why? They make great salespeople! I will take PMS any day over competing with the Alpha male on my sales floor. One last thing. Never forget what it was like to be in their shoes and treat them the way you would of wanted to be treated back then.

May 3, 2016 – HR

13 years?! Wow, we really appreciate your service and dedication to DriveTime. Your glowing review really speaks volumes considering you've been through the many transformations DriveTime has gone ... More

8. "Underwriter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

Pros

Nice management. Good co-workers Overall good office environment. People always willing to help fix problems. Great place to start after college. Plenty of other career paths at the company.

Cons

Pay is a little low but is to be expected for a entry level position. Some managers had less or same amount of experience as workers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Never had any issues with the management as a whole or problems with other employees.

"Corporate dealership with Ghetto customers"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

The company offers flexible schedules and hours. The overall PTO they give is better than most dealerships. Only dealership with base salary which is nice for consistency but you make less than your average salesman overall.

Cons

You will work with some of the most gross ghetto people you will ever meet in your life. Every single person that goes there to buy a car is on welfare and does not have there life together. Half the job is just figuring out how the customer can prove what there income is.

May 18, 2016 – HR

I'm happy you enjoyed the flexible scheduling and generous PTO our company provides our retail employees. It's important for all employees to have a consistent work and life balance. Our base salary ... More

"Accounting & other corporate backoffice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

If you work in the corporate headquarters, the company moved into a pretty awesome new building in 2015. That is the only "pro" of this company.

Cons

Strictly speaking from a corporate perspective, the structure and the amount of personnel in the back office (accounting, treasury, finance, analytics, IT) has been and continues to be almost 100% determined by the fact that the company doesn't use an accounting system to account for its business operations. The company's purchases, all other costs, and sales transactions are entered into various and different systems and those transactions affect hundreds of databases. The size of the company's IT group is TREMENDOUSLY over-sized due to the needs that this creates from an ongoing development perspective. This also creates the need for the company to hire 3-4 times as many people in accounting and finance because any work to arrive at the simplest accounting or finance result is done by using SQL code to query the databases and building (typically) unnecessary spreadsheets. Yes, almost all of the staff in the back office at Drivetime knows SQL. Not everybody is an expert, but almost everybody can do enough to get their job done. Additionally, it has created a need for the company to grow a very large department called "analytics" that would otherwise be completely unnecessary. Normally this task is performed by accounting or finance or anybody that can simply get into a system, pull information, and put it into a spreadsheet.

The company has had a very hard time hiring and keeping talented individuals from the Staff to Controller level, which ultimately has stemmed from the difficult systems environment. Most of the manager and below individuals in the back office are not very talented people and therefore are defensive about their positions in the company. This had created dysfunction in terms of the structure of the departments and the ability for people to successfully grow their careers. It is a perpetual cycle.

The company does make a lot of money and its business model works. But, the same upper management that successfully runs the company from that standpoint has absolutely no clue these very apparent facts described above could be easily solved. Most of the upper management are talented and smart individuals that simply don't have a lot of experience in the wholesale world.

Advice to Management

Take the advice of this post. This person has been critically involved in businesses that are, financially, substantially larger than Drivetime.

May 17, 2016 – HR

We appreciate you taking the time to write this detailed post and I'm sorry it seems like you did not enjoy any aspect of your job - except for the building. I've forwarded your post to your former ... More

"Fun place to work, middle management lacking"

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Fun environment. Values out of the box thinking

Cons

Managers lacked experience. Were not concerned with employee growth

Advice to Management

Spend more time working with employees to develop growth plans.

May 17, 2016 – HR

I'm sad to hear you didn't find that some of our managers aren't connected with employee growth. That's something our Organizational Development teams don't take lightly. Thank you for the time you ... More