DriveTime Automotive Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is a balance sometimes you get it sometimes you don't (in 92 reviews)

• Long Hours first quarter of year (in 69 reviews)

"HR Talent Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Human Resources Talent Support Specialist in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Talent Support Specialist in Mesa, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, wonderful people to work with, and a solid vision and execution for growth.

Cons

Not much on my end, but if you're not near the headquarters and not willing to relocate growth can be tricky. Comes with the territory, but the company does it's best to work with personal needs.

Advice to Management

Not much, I was always impressed with the level of investment taken. The only thing was sometimes managers could get rushed and things could get sloppy, which can snowball. Slow down, take a minute to keep it clean and professional.

Jun 7, 2017 – Talent

Providing a fun, collaborative work environment is a priority for DriveTime so we are happy to hear of your positive outlook on our culture. We equally appreciate your constructive feedback for us... More

"Helping people with not so perfect credit purchase auto and reestablish credit simultaneously."

Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is great, medical benefits are great, educational benefits are great. Mobility in this company with the guidance to do it is always there.

Cons

Tax season long hours. After tax season it is a normal job so for about six weeks we have to be able to help each other but rewards are great.

Jun 7, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for taking some time to provide your thoughts! We are happy to hear that you have been able to take advantage of all of the benefits offered to DriveTime employees and their families.

"Terrible Management"

Pros

coworkers were great, location was good,

Cons

management was terrible, unresponsive to problems, would not help

"Maybe it's the same everywhere? Idk, but I'm going to go find out for myself..."

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Good place to be able to put experience on your resume, but build your parachute and hop out after a couple of years to a company that actually has competitive pay

Cons

Don't plan on getting anywhere unless you buddy up with the right people. Having an excellent work ethic, being great at what you do, being versatile, being a quick learner, being great with internal and external customers, having a great rapport with coworkers--none of it counts for much if the right managers don't take a personal interest in you (because you sucked up appropriately). They are very fickle too, so good luck. And that career pathing they're always talking about? I'm not sure it exists.

Advice to Management

Please hold your managers accountable to career pathing ALL of their employees. It can't be that difficult to create some way to track their efforts. And then follow up with the actual employees from time to time to ensure the accuracy of the tracker. So far all some of us get is a lot of lip service but no constructive criticism or anything that would help us to know that we are tracking in the right direction. As an example, I was once told that they didn't see a certain attribute in me, I asked for an example but they couldn't give one, and then when I asked for suggestions on what I could do to improve, I was told "I don't know, but I'll know it when I see it." Completely unacceptable. It's those kind of vague statements that really let you know that even though your great at what you do and they can't find anything really 'wrong" about you, you're simply not on their buddy list. There needs to be real coaching if you are to live up to the whole career pathing thing you sell us on when we're hired.

"Senior Sales Advisor"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a member on the sales floor. Getting to work with other people for long hours, you get to know them both professionally and personally (both can cause trouble). The money is good during tax season, but it will get difficult when there are many people on the sales floor.

Cons

No work/life balance, this can cause problems in relationships and other things. Management can micro-manage and be petty on many areas of what go on. Rather than talk to you they hid behind a computer and discuss in email until a write up comes. Long hours it makes no sense that the hours the dealerships are open basically have no life. Over priced used cars with high interest rate. Always adding people to an already crowed dealership. The DriveTime I was hired with, is turning into a basic car dealership, not the one where it was actually trying to help and cared.

Advice to Management

Stop the micro-management. Let people work and do the job, will keep from having a high turn over rate.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company offers a great step into the world of car sales being that is negotiation free pricing.

Cons

If you want work life balance, good professional development or consistent commission plans this is not the place.

Jun 14, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear you didn't have the best experience with the company. The company is constantly developing strategies to improve personal development. We have... More

7. "Mobile technician"

Former Employee - Assistant Mobile Technician in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Mobile Technician in Charlotte, NC

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was a fantastic company to work for! Wish the service centers wouldn't have had to close down.

Cons

Department closed down. Had a weeks notice.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I'm sure some day the service centers will rise again!

Jun 14, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you had a positive experience during your tenure with the company!

"Sales Advisor"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor II in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor II in Raleigh, NC

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting with different customers everyday and the friendships you make at work because of the long hours you spend there.

Cons

There is no work-life balance...they frown on taking time off. If you start off as a sales advisor you will not be promoted higher than a General Manager. Upper management past GM does not take criticism well and most are not business minded..... Your pay structure will change constantly without notice

Advice to Management

Needs to cater to the needs of each individual store...every store cannot be ran the same...cannot expect a phone call and read one slide to be proper training for your employees

Jun 14, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for your review. The company strongly believes in promoting from within as openings become available. In fact a majority of our current Senior Leadership started off as Sales Advisors.

9. "Great Company with Some Missteps"

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

- Culture
    - Benefits
    - People
    - Open Door Policy
    - Fast-paced, exciting environment

Cons

- Management promotes employees with narrow-minded ideas and "yes" people
    - Work/Life Balance
    - No firm answers, everything can be questioned and challenged and even reversed

"Good Company- Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Loan Advisor in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Loan Advisor in Mesa, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good. Bonuses are attainable and can be very high if you are present and work for it. Coworkers were fun and interactive. Lots of competitions to promote healthy competition- cool prizes every month.

Cons

Management is not clear on all policies after merge with GoFinancial. Merge was a mess and employees were left to deal with it. There are a few good managers, but a lot of younger people who should not be one. If you are not a favorite or ask too many questions, or voice an opinion- you are out the door even if you are good at your job.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your employees and not hide things from them. Be more faithful to your long time employees who perform to your standards instead of constantly trying to bring in new faces. Be more uniform in implementing your policies across all departments instead of picking and choosing which ones you want to use on each employee. Follow the managers that have high energy and loyal employees- those are the ones that will grow the company and lower the turn over rate.