DriveTime Automotive Group "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

DriveTime Automotive Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sold Over"

Former Employee - Laborer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Laborer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay, good work life balance.

Cons

No Benefitsf being a small company, The company has an unsustainable model in itself. They buy in bulk from china (all their equipment) but not enough to stay competitive with others who sell the exact same stuff at a cheaper rate.

May 23, 2018 – Talent

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback but do want to ensure that you are aware that our company offers full benefits to employees including medical, dental, vision, 401K match and... More

"Frequent Layoffs, High Stress, and Low Pay"

Former Employee - IT Management in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Management in Tempe, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are entry level and have no experience, DriveTime can be a good place to work for a year or two to get your foot in the door for a new profession. Once you have some experience, it would be unwise to stick around, as DriveTime generally pays quite a bit below market, especially to those they promote from within.
    As a 5-year DriveTime veteran and former "rising star" with management experience, I can give you the inside scope on how things work at DriveTime.

Cons

The first thing to understand about DT is that people are rewarded almost entirely by loyalty, and little respect is paid to competence or merit. This "loyalty carrot" is a surprisingly open idea in the culture, which contributes to a highly political environment and leaves most people with little natural motivation to contribute and work hard as they know this behavior won't be rewarded fairly.

To mitigate this motivation void, management uses shame tactics, gas-lighting, and emotional manipulation to try and make you work hard and well enough as to not make them look bad, which is the outcome they care about almost exclusively.

As a manager, about half of my day was devoted to management-only meetings where my director and other senior managers would spend most of this time gossiping and complaining about their employees, sharing needlessly embarrassing details about other people and even other managers that weren't in the room. I often imagined what they said about me when I wasn't in the room. It was frustrating and emotionally exhausting to spend this much of my life accomplishing and learning absolutely nothing, and trying to not drown in the unrelenting pettiness. I received absolutely no coaching or professional development while at DriveTime, and only rose through the ranks (3 promotions) by relentlessly sucking up to management because I wanted to break into a new field.

Another stress factor is the frequent and random layoffs, and the types of people they decide to layoff. In my last year (2017), there were 4 rounds of layoffs, which is a pretty typical amount. Three of these layoffs happened after the CEO promised "No more layoffs" for that year. These layoffs occur because banks have mostly stopped investing in DriveTime's portfolio of deep subprime loans, and now DT cannot raise enough cash to sustain its current levels of business. Thus they have been forced to move "up market" and begin trying sell to people with better credit, but they have little chance of competing with CarMax and others in this market, and thus continue laying people off.

But what's most concerning is who DriveTime decides to layoff. Management looks at these layoffs as opportunities to get rid of people who they feel are either not "loyal enough" (aka disagree with management about anything at all), or if they feel someone is "too good" and may want a manager's current role in the future. In reality, these people are often ambitious, highly competent, well-meaning people who are just trying to get ahead by doing what would be rewarded in most other organizations.

I've been a part of the conversations where they decide who to lay off and it is sickening. Absolutely no warning to the people being laid off, and lip service reasons. They told one of their most competent, senior Business Analysts that she was "too technical". In reality, that BA voiced very minor disagreements with her manager about how to approach a design assignment.

Only after interviewing with several companies in the valley have I realized just how poor of an environment DriveTime is. My only regret is staying for as long as I did. I am now paid over 45% more, I'm learning more, have less stress, and I'm treated like an adult at work now. I wish that I could get those precious years back as I could have easily gotten better pay, less stress, a better work life balance, more fulfilling work, and far better professional growth.

Advice to Management

You can't control the layoffs, but you can control your culture. If you can get over your own insecurities and emotional impulses to gossip about your employees, you won't see your people as such a threat, you will have the courage to recruit and reward top performers, and you can begin to turn the ship around. Just don't forget to bring a life vest in case the whole thing sinks soon due to market forces outside your control.

May 14, 2018 – Talent

Thank you for providing your feedback. The concerns you have detailed in no way represent our company’s culture so while we respect your perspective, we disagree in your assertion that our company... More

3. "it's aight"

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

this is a stress free place

Cons

however there is no work life balance

May 2, 2018 – Talent

We appreciate your feedback! Having a positive and stress-free workplace environment is important to us. We also value our employee's work-life balance and appreciate your feedback on this.

"Senior Sales advisor"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay back in 2016..

Cons

No work life balance, poor management, targets minorities to fire for “budget” cuts, 10-12 hour days no holidays or Saturdays off. Horrible pay plan you don’t get any money for first 6 cars your not going to make 50 your first year they want you to lie to customers about inspections on cars, cars are not inspected high apr for customers with good credit want u to lie to them you have to wash the cars they don’t give floor mats so customers are going to argue with inventory is horrible ADVICE DONT WORK HERE GO TO CARMAX

Advice to Management

Demotion needs to happen to all of them

5. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Laurel, MD

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dealership Family, autonomy in the work place

Cons

When I first started with the company, it was definitely a great environment. You could see that the company really cared about their employees. Tax time was the best time to work, forget about work life balance.

Most recently, the company has been taking a turn for the worst. Letting people go left and right to save money; hiking sales budgets up and lowering dealership lead counts; and demoting Sales Managers that rightfully earned their positions (in order to save money again).

I really liked my job, but I had to leave. Change that did not make sense and affected many peoples pockets and livelihood. The company just spoke lie after lie, email after email, to the people that invested 10-12 hours of their life for a “used to be” good company.

Advice to Management

Hire on corporate staff that know what actually goes on in the dealerships. Change takes time. You can’t expect to see the change you want within three - six months, when it took 15 plus years to get the company where it is today.

May 3, 2018 – Talent

We are happy you had a great experience regarding the autonomy and relationships that are built at our dealerships! While we are always striving to improve, we understand that with that comes change... More

"Not professional/No HR department"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Houston, TX

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros were just my co-workers. You are off most holidays. Other than that stay away!!!!

Cons

The cons...where should I begin. This company is all the way lost. They only want snitches working for them. If you have an opinion please believe they don't want you working for them. There are a lot of EEOC issues with this company. I see why they are sued a lot. If you aren't apart of the super bestfriend club then you will be fired. Management is horrible and this company has yet to deal with these issues. I see this repeatedly in these reviews. Everyone can't be saying the same thing and it's a lie. It's like a high school jungle with this company. Everyone knows everybody's business. Managers write you up for petty issues then try to call the talent people to make it a legal write it. Managers do fraudlent write ups and when you report to the upper management they over looks like its okay. And you have proof that the write up is fraud. Please don't call the speak up line. They claim you are anonymous. They throw you under the bus and after that the management team is messing with you to get you out of there. This company doesn't appreciate your opinion on how things can work better. Its like you're working for a slave master. They work you over your hours and roll your time back to 80hrs like you haven't put in major overtime. Please don't get sick and have no PTO they we take half your check even though you have worked so much overtime for them. No work life balance at all. Tax time hours need to stay at regular working hours. There is a major communication problem with this company. Just remember if you are a strong minded person this is not the place for you. They only want weak minded people they can control. Upper management doesn't talk to the employees to see what's actually going on to try to improve business. They want you to run up to them and speak like they work for you. I stayed at this company too long disregarding my morals and beliefs on the issues I saw. That's why I would never step up. There are a lot of illegal acts that go on here. They are very discriminative especially towards women. Watch your back and trust no one. No HR department so things are done very crooked here. That's why the turn over is so high. People can't be leaving similar reviews if these issues weren't true. This job is for the young college kid. It is not made for real adults. The salary is also deceiving. You have to keep your taxes in your paystub in order to make some real money. Just remember everyone in this company is for self. Your own manager won't have your back.

Advice to Management

No advice to management because nothing will be corrected. All you will see is the Talent person replying and replying to the wrong reviews. You need to reply to the reviews to show you guys are willing to change things.

"It’s good enough until you find a better corporate job"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Houston, TX

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best thing and what kept me there for 3.5 years were my coworkers who I still have friendships with outside of DT. Lunches on the weekend were clutch and the culture. Pay is decent as well. If you’re single you can’t beat making 55K plus a year.

Cons

Work life balance sucks. Hours during tax time are a bit much. No dealership needs to stay open until 8pm or 9pm smh. Sales Managers don’t convey what sales advisors see and experience to upper management in Phoenix. There is a disconnect. They make you work during floods and hurricanes when others are off so DT doesn’t value your safety. Working long hours on Saturdays can told a toll on your body. Cut hours of operations because the stores can be dead for hours and not see a customer.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to write people up for petty things. Learn to value people that have tenure there that will get them to stay. Moreover, don’t give sales advisors false promises and follow through with promises. Franchising and trying to change to more like a traditional dealership is what is running people off. The culture and unique niche DT had is why people joined DT.

""Culture, culture, culture.""

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At first it was a very positive environment. Team oriented and I had fun in certain occasions. Management sucked but that changed eventually to a more friend than coworker atmosphere. Don’t let that fool you though. On to the cons.

Cons

I started this review almost a year ago and I held off but I will submit it now...
    Management changed my outlook to an extent but most of the cons still stand true.

No such thing as a work/life balance. The 4x10 schedule was great but they decided to implement the old schedule way before tax season started and it was more than dead in the store. Management preaches hitting call numbers which leads to low quality calls because the leads for the most part are awful with not in service numbers. Eventually those numbers became your friend to help you reach call targets. The cars that we sold were sub-par just like the lending we provide. It blows my mind how the sales person gets dinged if the customer doesn't make one of their first three payments and it gets repossessed. If anything Bridgecrest should take the hit for allowing us to sale a person who is known to never pay back anything in their life. Change in the pay plan for sales is also ridiculous. Management tries to assure you it is for the better but when you do the math you will make less than you would if they gave back the bonuses and commission from the first sale. The only real advancement possible is if you want to relocate.

If you want to survive here understand the clientele and remind yourself that you’ll be as successful as you want. You can make easy money, yes, but be ready to put in over 50+ hours to make $60-70k when that effort could yield you $100k+ in REAL sales opportunities. This is a job for the uninspired who can handle low tier rats who try to drag you down much like their credit and want to benefit off such. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Tell your associates that the job is what it is because honestly the only thing that really separates you from a traditional dealership is no new cars and the fact you get salary. Still treated as scum.

May 8, 2018 – Talent

As a company, while our employees' work-life-balance is always a priority to us, we do offer the opportunity for our employees to take advantage of our busy seasons in order to increase their sales... More

"Operations Advisor"

Former Employee - Operations Advisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Advisor in Houston, TX

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunitiesfor advancement
    A lot of young energetic people

Cons

No work life balance
    Long hours with little pay
    Management is terrible
    High turn over rate

Jan 8, 2018 – Talent

We're sorry to hear you feel this way. DriveTime offers employees strong career paths, collaborative management teams, and prioritize work life balance. Even though servicing our customers may... More

"Cuts in pay and staffing draining talent"

Current Employee - Retail Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not a bad place to start your career. If you are willing to move to Phoenix, you may have a shot at some work life balance.

Cons

Retail stores have gone lean, saving the company while requiring more hours from current management. Pay has decreased with an increased work load. Managing morale is half the battle.

Advice to Management

Asking "What does an SM do?" to someone who misses her kids sporting events is insensitive. Most people at SM or above have given up huge amounts of time and sacrificed being with family. Better question, what does a director do?

Dec 7, 2017 – Talent Support Specialist

We appreciate your feedback. We encourage you to express your concerns to your leadership and/or our Talent Support Team.