DriveTime Automotive Group "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

DriveTime Automotive Group Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "DISAPPOINTED"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefit, opportunity to make good money. Most cars are good. Room to grow. I believe DT is good company.

Cons

No work life balance. Working 10-12 plus hours 3-4 days out of 5 is so hard on personal life. Management does not care if you have plans for the evening. They will insist on you taking a customer 45 minutes or less before your off time, which means you are stuck there for 3-5 more hours. GM is lazy, disappears for long times when needed. Sales managers can be mean to you. If you sale good they overlook negative behavior. The F word is used out loud by management when referringn to customers. So unprofessional. I'm disappointed with this place. NO WORK LIFE BALANCE!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "do as I say not as I do. Stop walking the floor eating your lunch in front of customers. So tacky. Stop treating customers like you are better than them. Respect all of your staff. We make your bonus goals, not you!

Sep 12, 2017 – Talent

We are glad to hear your overall positive view of the company. Our leaders are held to high expectations so we are disappointed to hear that you feel your leaders didn't meet them. We appreciate your... More

2. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - General Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent compensation package with benefits

Cons

Work life balance is poor especially with growth in company

Sep 5, 2017 – Talent

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. As a company, we believe in giving employees a good work/life balance however we understand that retail hours, especially with increased... More

3. "Sales Manager/Sales Advisor"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay if you work at high lead volume dealerships. Base salary ($32k for sales advisor to $40k for sales manager) plus commission (based on the number of units sold). Good benefits from health insurance plans, dental, vision, 401K and PTO. Trips to corp office in Phoenix are fun. You'll meet some great people there, and create long term friendship but you'll also meet very negative people. Employees get good discounts on vehicles and service contracts (warranty). Some senior sales advisors and all sales managers get a company driver, which is great. GREAT training at all levels

Cons

Culture is changing from fun and friendly to more of a cut throat mentality. For the past two years the company has been changing their underwriting guidelines a lot. This year, 2017, it seemed that every week there was a change that benefited the company and frustrated its employees. Pay structures changes every year, making it harder for employees to make more money. LONG HOURS!!!! Work life balance is rough due to the fact that you have to stay until every customer is gone. That means even if it is 12am!!! The longest I stayed was 1am and as a sales manager I stilled had to open the next day at 9am!! ALOT of layoffs this year due to branch closings and re-structure of the company. STRESS and ANXIETY!!! not because of how hard the work is but because of the long hours and negative people working there making your work life very hard. GMs and some managers hold grudges if you try to speak up or give constructive feedback about what they are doing bad. Managers turn the blind eye to negative actions if a sales advisor is selling. I saw a lot of people get promoted because they became friends with upper managers. Co-workers still call me to say that they hate it and want to leave Drivetime.

Advice to Management

AMPS are not always the best! Specially when tenured Sales Managers having been at the dealership. Stop making so many changes, its hard for employees to adapt to so many changes.

Aug 21, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for taking the time to give us your detailed feedback. This year has been a year of many changes and although the changes are made in an effort to grow and an improve, we recognize that... More

4. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. When in management, you get a driver so that helps eliminate one bill. If you can create a good sales team, then your job becomes very easy.

Cons

Hours and work life balance. Currently work 50-55 hours a week not during tax season. Tax season was even more than that. The company is changing and they have dropped a manager and put them back on the sales floor, causing the managers left to work at least one open to close a week without an addition in pay. Corporate continuously changes underwriting guidelines for loans, making it harder to sell cars while raising budgets. For some stores, it definitely seems like they are trying to not pay us since managers have to hit budget to get paid. And if you miss the month before and your budget goes up the next month, that doesn't look great. Regular inventory is subpar at best. Continually comes off the truck from our inspection center with issues that we then have to fix. DT Select vehicles are a nice addition, but most customers don't qualify or can't come up with a 5k+ down payment. APRs are based on the customers situation but DriveTime could make more money having lower than 20-25% on loans.

Advice to Management

Make sure the inventory is up to par if we are going to charge customers as much as we are. It's hard to convince someone that this is a good reliable car when the check engine light is on and it has a trans slip issue right after it comes off the truck. Don't be afraid to pay people more for the amount of time that they put in. And don't cut staffs to minimal coverage. We work hard, and I shouldn't have to work open to close four days in a row just because someone wants to use PTO.

Aug 10, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for your review. We are constantly improving processes to ensure our cars meet the highest level of quality for our customers. We appreciate your feedback and wish you continued success!

"Senior Sales Advisor"

Pros

Base Salary is a plus.
    Can make a decent amount of money

Cons

No real work life balance.
    Difficult to get deals done because underwriting guidelines change weekly.
    Management not on same page.
    Thinking outside of the box is not 100% embraced.
    The quality of vehicles really suck. No one wants to put down $500 - $1000 today only to have their vehicle go into the shop oneor two days later.

Advice to Management

GMs need to be Gms and get everyone on the same page.
    I understand change is necessary at time but underwriting changes every week is a bit excessive.
    Adjust APR scale. There is no way a customer with a 619 credit score should get the same APR as a customer with a sub 500 credit score regardless of the situation.
    Yes we are getting in vehicles with lower miles but they are going to be priced ao high that it is still going tonbe difficult for OUR customer base to buy unless its at tax time.
    Be honest and tell employees about the state of the company. If you are selling at least everyone know sonthey can make their own decision about their future instead od being blind-sided and laid off like some of the former employees where I work and around the country.
    Also be honest on the direction of the company and what type of customer you are trying to attract. The new program is geared towards attracting customers with better credit like tradional dealerships instead of trying to implement new programs for the customer base we have all made money off of.

Jul 27, 2017 – Talent Support Specialist

We appreciate your feedback. We acknowledged that recently we went through some changes. As an innovative company, we're always looking at ways to better service our customers and attract new... More

6. "Buyer"

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom to do your job efficiently

Cons

Work/life balance could be better. Lots of travel required for this position.

Jul 21, 2017 – Talent Support Specialist

Thanks for the feedback! We're happy you enjoy the flexibility your position provides.

"Sales Advisor"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Good base salary + excellent commission structure. Full Benefits after only 30 days. Can borrow against your own future PTO. Possible room for growth. No need to really find your own leads, business comes to you.

Cons

NO WORK/LIFE balance. No O/T pay even on 55+ hour weeks. Company is going through a lot of changes aka demotions/lay-offs currently. From my own personal dealership experience (not all locations may be managed the same); lots of inconsistencies in processes and procedures depending on the advisor it is affecting.

Advice to Management

CONSISTENCY. Implement and stick to company guidelines. Hold YOURSELVES ACCOUNTABLE more.

Jul 20, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for your review. As a company we make every effort to promote consistency by providing regular coaching and review of company policies and procedures. We appreciate the feedback!

"Good money, no work life balance"

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

You can make as much as you want. My location had a great team and we balanced each other.

Cons

If you have any type of driving record issue, you can get terminated for that. Even if it's out side of work hours. Work life balance is hard. If you have a customer and you supposed to get off at 6 you have to stay until you finish. Even if u have plans.

Advice to Management

Communicate. And help the team.

Jul 14, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for the review and feedback. We are glad to hear you work with a great team and you are fairly compensated.

9. "sales advisor"

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

great benefits, tuition reimbursement, etc

Cons

long work hours, no work life balance

Jul 13, 2017 – Talent

Work/Life balance for our employees is very important to us and we are constantly looking at ways to offset the long hours with incentives and flexible schedules. Thank you for your feedback!

10. "Overall Good Company"

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Company allows for a work-life balance

Cons

Medical benefits are not ideal

Jun 23, 2017 – Talent Support Specialist

At DriveTime we consistently evaluate our medical benefits to ensure we remain competitive. We're sorry to hear our offerings do not meet your needs.