Drugscan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great people, but not enough to live on"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Horsham, PA

I worked at Drugscan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved my manager , and I enjoyed going to work. The CEO was so nice, he would come around and say good morning all the time. It's a real shame, I loved working there, but you need to eat.

Cons

I had more work experience than what i was getting paid for (and the position they put me in) and when I asked for a raise, I was denied even though i was getting offers from other companies. As much as i loved working there- I couldn't make rent and feed myself, so I quickly found a job that paid me 20% more.

Advice to Management

Find positions for good people! I would have stayed if i was being compensated fairly.

2. "Concentration camp"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Drugscan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good, from HR to VP to the principal

Cons

The management feeds workers bagles on friday

Advice to Management

Nothing to waste time advising on, because it's the triangular relationship that chokes out spirit of good employees.

"Scientist/ leader"

Former Employee - Scientist, Reviewer in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Scientist, Reviewer in Horsham, PA

I worked at Drugscan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some fantastic people

Cons

Awful management, no opportunities for continuous training or education. Unprofessional environment, promotions depend on friendship with management instead of work ability to perform duties accurately.

Advice to Management

Communication, Performance based rewards accurate training and reviews of middle management.

4. "Clinical Laboratory Scientist 1"

I have been working at Drugscan full-time

Pros

Pay is pretty decent for new college grads. The benefits are ok.

Cons

Shifts are a bit strange.

Advice to Management

Need more workers

"Mentally Unstable Leadership"

I worked at Drugscan full-time

Pros

Tremendous growth potential and opportunity

Cons

You never know which personality will show up at the top

Advice to Management

Consider SENIOR leadership overhaul

"Very high turn over, terrible upper-management."

Former Employee - Specimen Accessioner in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Specimen Accessioner in Horsham, PA

I worked at Drugscan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are caring and fun.

Cons

Upper management could care less about the accessioning department. They are treated like the bottom of the totem pole, people quit super fast and the people left behind have to pick up the slack. The time constraints are very stressful, and you're obligated to stay past the end of your shift to get everything done. Upper management refuses to get enough employees to run sufficiently. Yearly raises are crap. Bonuses are low. Over all a terrible stress pool.

Advice to Management

Get more employees. Pay what Accessioners deserve.

"Overloaded Upper Management, Playing Favorites"

Former Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist II in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Clinical Laboratory Scientist II in Horsham, PA

I worked at Drugscan full-time

Pros

Competitive wages for entry level employees.
    Most co-workers are easy to work with and helpful towards people on their own level.
    Solid vacation allotments.

Cons

Upper management stayed incredibly hands-off until the lab developed serious problems.
    Vacation policies were extremely poor until a run where we lost numerous employees in a short period. Only then did management begin to revisit the vacation time. This was also the time they finally "found the money" to pay out bonuses for the 2014 year, in November 2015.
    Top level management was extremely slow to remove two individuals responsible for running the laboratory portion, who were entirely incompetent or inactive. This, despite the fact that all the employees within the lab knew and complained about these two managers/supervisors/directors regularly.
    Management takes the easy way out when it comes to promotions. They chose to replace the previous weekday lab supervisor with someone less qualified than the other option (the weekend supervisor), because they didn't want to have to find a way to convince someone else to take weekends.
    There are very clearly a few favorites within the lab, who are promoted and developed much more aggressively. This has resulted in some people who are ill fit for management, but might otherwise be an asset to the lab, if only being an expert at the actual science being done was a valued skill.
    HR talks a good game about varied opportunity within the lab structure, while knowing there is only one genuine route to advancement and only if you are selected as a favorite. This one route had become stagnated by the time I left, and despite being short-staffed for months, no effort was made to train more people. This is because the company was anticipating needing fewer data reviewers once the new testing system went into place.
    The development of this new testing system was expected to be completed quickly, but it slowed down, due to lack of manpower in R&D, as well as the department co-directors also being overly focused on the pharmaceutical contract studies that Drugscan also conducted under the same leadership. One of the two co-directors of this department was extremely gifted with method development, but instead he focused on the pharma work, possibly because it looked better and put him in touch with clients and more of the upper management. After months of flailing on the project, the Lab Director/CEO finally acquiesced to lesser requirements for validation, allowing R&D to cut more and more corners on the method validation.
    HR is not on the side of rank and file employees, despite that being what I believe their role should be. Instead, they typically hold promotions out in front of motivated, skilled, and hard-working employees to keep them around. Unfortunately, the promotions rarely are given.
    Certain mid-level managers are very good at talking in "we" statements, possibly because they read some management book/blog, but never acting on the rhetoric. These managers/directors all seem to view their employees as means to their own future promotions and advancement.

Advice to Management

Top-level management: Spend more time in the lab. See how your employees work. If you do this, you might not be so surprised by the morale and efficiency problems in the future. The majority of work is typically done by a minority of your employees. Re-evaluate the structure of the R&D department, as it's rather top heavy, and yet often inaccessible to lower staff. Spend less time in meetings with the mid-level management, who are afraid to tell you no, and let them actually be in the lab.
    Mid-level lab management: Actually help out your team. The company maintains as few lab employees as they feel they can. Everyone is either overworked and stressed or is not contributing, possibly due to poor motivation/morale or poor training.

"Good colleagues. Top-heavy, cliquish management."

Pros

Lots of lab experience to be gained due to company's small size (employees often have to be versatile in many roles)
    Good benefits packages for full time employees
    Lab personnel is young and friendly, generally pleasant to work with

Cons

DISCLAIMER: Talking about the lab atmosphere only:
    Top-heavy management. During my almost two years there, the number of top management grew while the number of non-management employees shrank. They called it "being more efficient". Reality is that most of the lab management hierarchy spend half of their day in meetings, coming up with new "initiatives" that either fail, are forgotten or both.
    There is a certain cult of personality around the CEO. Managers try hard to create an image of accessibility but you'll feel the wall after you learn the ropes.
    Office politics and brown-nosing key people, especially the CEO, play a huge positive role in promotions and salary upgrades. But even to do that you need his attention and the dense cluster of his trusted confidants control a lot of access and information flow. If they don't like you or feel you are a threat, you can forget about that raise.
    Employee professional development is a very low priority. They'll go through the motions, as much as required by law. However, if you need some time to attend that seminar when you could be slaving to push out more urine test results, you'll be pushing the results out. And there is always a need for more results out (one thing that is taken very seriously is lab-wide performance figures).
    In fact anything extra that is not required by law, like additional days off for federal holidays or a decent office party, will not happen.
    Last word of caution. I am trying my hardest not to focus on specific people but this person is pretty much involved at everything at the company: very bright, very talented young individual who is rising through the ranks like a rocket. Very good at a lot of things but a poor manager. Not a friend to his subordinates; not outwardly hostile but considers them a means to (his) end goal. His end goal is move up as fast as possible. Not sure how dirty he plays but very well capable. If you are of equal or lower rank, don't expect to be his ally but more his tool.

END RESULT: Very low morale among lab employees and high employee turnaround rate

Advice to Management

Fire/downgrade half the VPs. Hire more lab personnel and them more money to keep them motivated. Stop pretending to care and actually care about employee skill development. Stop nickel-and-diming lab equipment

"One of the worst experiences of my life."

Pros

Some nice people there and Bagel Friday's. Interview was easy; it only requires a college degree and a body temperature in the 90s to get hired.

Cons

Pretty much a self centered company where some of the experienced employees there do not care about training you on how to do the work correctly. My training involved researching online to the point I was searching for another job.

Advice to Management

Do a better job on training the newcomers or grads. They're the ones who are entry level and need guidance to succeed with their position.

Stop with the promotions because the only thing that is changed is the title and more work and not their salary or job description. This could explain why the employees there don't care because of the work overload.

10. "Drugscan Cares"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midlothian, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midlothian, VA

I worked at Drugscan (More than a year)

Pros

Management treats employees with personal attention and have a real investment in your development.

Cons

Sometimes unrealistic sales goals could be frustrating. Upper management wants a very fast sales cycle.