Drury Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Chuck Drury Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "These are all words that describe the culture at Drury Hotels, a mighty family owned and operated hotel company" (in 16 reviews)

• "Good benefits even as part time" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The upper management sees themselves as a big fish in the pond, and that is what will be their downfall eventually" (in 11 reviews)

• "Absolutely no work/life balance" (in 4 reviews)

1. "My employment with The Drury was wonderful!"

Former Employee - Guest Services Supervisor in Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - Guest Services Supervisor in Grove City, OH

I worked at Drury Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They value and reward employees. They mentor and believe in your growth. They have awesome programs and benefits for employees. They keep work fun.

Cons

The hotels and the reservation center need better communication.

Advice to Management

Keep the fun games, incentives and caring programs. It always felt like family. Also thank you for giving us a great product to sell to people and making it so easy to fix guest issues.

2. "People Focused"

I have been working at Drury Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great pay, benefits, & quarterly bonuses
    -100% family owned and operated
    -Treat their team members like family and do as much as possible to take care of them
    -Growing company w/ a lot of opportunities in different states and in their corporate office (located in St. Louis)
    -Low turnover rates & internal development is important
    -100% focused on their guest's needs. 'Do the right thing' mentality.
    -"Hire people not positions" -- Always looking for the best fit for the company AND the team member, not just someone to fill a position.
    -Very supportive of work/life balance (as much as they can be for working in a hotel)

Cons

-Growth rate makes it harder for the President & VPs to interact as much as they have in years past (example: visits every year with the President are now every other year) BUT they still do a great job of trying to keep up and showing they care in other ways.
    -Need a degree to move into a management role. Even those who have worked with the company for years and know everything there is to know have a much smaller chance of getting a management role.

"The Drury Family is very sweet"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Santa Fe, NM
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Santa Fe, NM

I worked at Drury Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean, professional, family like team, bonuses, efficient, organized

Cons

Can be overly strict, a team member can be criticized for doing something and another can get away with it because the other should "know better"
    You may end up working your shift alone and often it makes you not want to show up

Advice to Management

Pay attention to each team member equally because they may be going through something similar but only one will Express it. Just because someone can hide their emotions better doesn't mean it doesn't affect them as well as their productivity.

4. "Front Desk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Drury Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

its a job thats about it

Cons

This company does not give a regular schedule, whike I was employed there there were times my schedule would change several times in a week and I was never asked. They will not back their employees regardless of anything, but state they are a family hotel

Advice to Management

Stand behind your employees at some point or any point

5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Engineering Tech II in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Engineering Tech II in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Drury Hotels full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, good pay and benefits

Cons

Usual personal differences play into the equation from time to time, but are usually resolved to the benefit of both parties involved

6. "GSA"

I worked at Drury Hotels part-time

Pros

Met great people. The company was wonderful to work for. Loved working for Drury.

Cons

Management wasn’t all that great.

"Playing favorites with hotels."

I have been working at Drury Hotels full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

(sometimes) great coworkers, clear guidelines on conduct and expectations (when followed), decent benefits package and bonuses based on service paid per hours worked.

Cons

They're cheap in raises, hours and amenities. They cut hours but expect you to be available at a moments notice when they don't feel like working. You'll never get more than a .3% raise unless you work your butt off for a promotion and even then they only give a $1 increase. Meanwhile you could be asked to do 3 jobs at once because they "can't afford" to have another person work the job. Yet the reason they can't afford it is because they're unwilling to spend the money in the first place and the guest would rather find someplace willing to provide a quality stay. They change to a lower quality food supplier to save money and the guest notices the food isn't so good; they find someplace else to stay. I've seen good employees leave or get forced out because of being overworked and under appreciated meanwhile the ones who barely do their jobs are still here.

Advice to Management

Increase the minimum pay raise and don't put a cap on earnings. A .3% increase when an employee has worked their butt off for you is an insult. Stick to your policies, if an employee is at a point where, according to your own words, they should be let go don't keep them for the sake of keeping a warm body in the spot. And STOP being so cheap with hours and amenities! You have loyal guests to places because of people, if you treated them like more than just a "head in bed" and like the people who are keeping you in business, because they are, then you will grow, but keep cutting the quality of your product for profitability and it doesn't matter how much a guest likes the people, they will find someplace else.

8. "Very Special Family Business"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Drury Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honesty, Integrity, Hard work, Determination, GRIT. These are all words that describe the culture at Drury Hotels, a mighty family owned and operated hotel company. The Drury family designs, builds, supplys, and operates their own hotels. I have enjoyed being a part of the success and have been granted many opportunities for growth with their average of 6 new openings per year. I also feel blessed to be a part of a company that takes care of their employees so well. ALL team members are a part of a profit sharing program, and I have witnessed the family give each and every housekeeper a big raise, followed by a similar raise for the remainder of hourly team members one year later. This is in addition to annual performance reviews. Pretty incredible.

Cons

Additional guest amenities like free breakfast, dinner, and drinks can be a greater challenge than with some other brands that do not provide these.

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Breakfast Attendant in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Breakfast Attendant in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Drury Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay, benefits, some nice coworkers

Cons

management, horrible coworkers, understaffed, overworked, overlooked, no respect at all toward housekeepers or food and bev workers

Advice to Management

Fully staff the hotels already! People keep quitting because they are dealing with hundreds of people literally by themselves! Not to mention doing the jobs of three or four people at once! It's extremely high stress, de-motivating, demeaning, and ineffective. I know upper management claims that if they staff more people, the pay will go down, but they don't pay that much more anyway! Not enough to put up with all that. And learn to fire bad employees! When employees that don't do their job aren't disciplined or fired, it makes good employees feel worthless and overworked. And when mean coworkers aren't disciplined or forced to change their horrible attitude, you make your other employees miserable. Oh, and the bonuses are ridiculous and pointless. Get rid of them and staff your hotels properly.

10. "This job has taught me a lot."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Drury Hotels full-time

Pros

We always get at least 40 hours a week. There are plenty of benefits to choose from, the managers work hard to keep all other employees happy with schedules and will listen to concerns (some managers even let us rant to them, it's quite wonderful when it's been a rough day). Lots of opportunity for cross training, and we always keep busy. I feel like I have learned a lot since being here, but it has been both good and bad.

Cons

Unfortunately, even with overtime, it's barely enough to live on in Phoenix if you are single and living alone. The managers are over-worked and always exhausted, which makes it hard for everyone else to go to them sometimes. Some managers should have also advanced long ago, but the higher-ups seem only interested in progressing those who kiss up. There is also a huge lack in communication between the GM, AGM, and all other staff. Policies might change, and we won't even have meetings. We just kind of find out about things through the grapevine. Not all of management want employees completing reviews without a manager present, as if they are trying to manipulate how the company appears to the outside. Not all of management is bad, but it's not all good either. And some of us suspect there is a pay discrepancy between managers based on sex; additionally, there are a lot of dress code double standards on both sides.

Advice to Management

Have meetings with all the staff, not just between managers now and then. Work with us, instead of hiding in your office. When we are unsure how to do things, walk us through it rather than telling us to basically just figure it out.