Dstillery Reviews | Glassdoor

Dstillery Reviews

Updated Aug 15, 2019

Found 43 reviews

4.2
Dstillery CEO Michael Beebe (no image)
Michael Beebe
  1. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at Dstillery full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Work-Life Balance Family Oriented Great Benefits Awesome Coworkers Stocked Kitchen Easy Commute Working at Dstillery is Awesome

Cons

I have none to speak of

Dstillery2019-08-15
  2. "Relatively new but good experience"

Current Employee - Other in New York, NY

I have been working at Dstillery full-time for more than a year

Pros

SUMMARY The office is great, everyone is very friendly, and the pay, benefits and work life balance is pretty incredible. Also, the amount of smart people who work here is very impressive. Most companies feel like a "boys club" dominated by a male management team and then loud sales teams without having a good product or truly good people behind it. It does not feel like that here at all. COMPANY... DIRECTION There is a new strategy that was just shared with us this Spring and additional funding from investors to support the plan, which is a great sign that the finance community believes in the new strategy enough to invest in it. That seemed to settle a good amount of the anxiety that a lot of people had earlier this year before the strategy was released. The new strategy seems pretty on target with where the market is going if you follow the industry articles and trends, but it’s too early to say how successful it will be. WORK LIFE BALANCE AND BENEFITS Most people are in 9:30-6:00, so it is already way more balanced than my last job. The pay, benefits, and cultural perks are amazing, and it’s a very friendly, inclusive environment. You get summer Fridays off, unlimited vacation, there are company outings, extracurricular clubs like the Music Club, Book Club, and Video Game Club, and there are awards and programs throughout the year for everyone to share their compliments with each other, which is a really nice way to make you feel appreciated. Also, your healthcare benefits are all 100% paid for by the company, which I have not experienced before.

Cons

MARKETING The marketing and brand awareness needs a lot of help. There have been a few articles and PR wins lately, which are great, but there is practically no brand marketing outside and around the industry. Most of the marketing is focused on product marketing, sales decks, and a few web or social posts. TRAINING There was a real lack of training for new hires, which seems to be improving with new systems... and directors working on this, but this was something I struggled with when I started. CHANGING DIRECTION There is a lot of talk about the last few years and how the company has been changing direction, which left a sour taste in many people's mouths. Since I have not been here long enough to know what it was like before then, I have no opinion on the old versus new direction. Based on my experience I have been very satisfied.

Advice to Management

MARKETING Invest some of the new funding into marketing. I think many of the other, similarly sized companies in the industry may over invest in marketing to "talk more than walk" but I think our lack of marketing is a major problem. Very few of my friends in the industry have ever heard of Dstillery, but seem to be impressed once I tell them about us and then see the website. TRAINING Invest the time and... effort into a formal training program so new people are ramped up faster.

Dstillery2019-08-02
  3. "Heading in the right direction!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Dstillery full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Gaining tons of momentum on our Audience Solutions strategy, running our best in class audiences through the industry's top DSP, The Trade Desk. Lots of great press & buzz recently. Great people, solid management, supportive board. Feels like things are moving forward!

Cons

Typical start up pain, no different from any other company.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent!

Dstillery2019-08-01

"Future is bright"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Dstillery full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The team has built an incredibly promising and effective platform that continues to grow. The people are wonderful and really care about making their work have an impact on eachother and their clients.

Cons

The recent strategic pivot has been an adjustment, but the company will come out stronger for it.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, keep hiring, good things are happening!

Dstillery2019-07-23
  5. "Great People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Dstillery full-time

Pros

People, environment, wfh, work-life balance

Cons

Management could be better with right direction of the products

Dstillery2019-07-22
  6. "Don’t care if they screw you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Dstillery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is great, full paid health benefits, worthwhile commission structure, work life balance is really well executed from the top Down

Cons

Lack of direct management from those above you and they want to harp on the fact that you’re not doing things that they never told you that you were lacking Only as good as your last quarters incremental and extensions If you tell them you have any interest in other departments it’s as if you’re blacklisted from any bit of upward mobility in your department Because the teams are small there’s not a ton of... title changes or promotion opportunity, leaving people to feel like they’re undervalued

Dstillery2019-07-11

"Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Dstillery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good compensation structure/full paid health insurance.

Cons

Management is not able to decide what's next for company. Promoting wrong members at higher mngt pinning hopes that miracles would happen.

Advice to Management

Hire right people who can execute strategy.

Dstillery2019-05-09

"Going down"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Dstillery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. The last few heads that are around 2. Few good initiatives in Datascience / MLE team 3. work-life balance

Cons

1. Employee morale took a downturn in the past 2 years and the new CEO and leadership did not take the right measures to help. 2. Current CEO was the CFO before (with no priori experience as CEO) and there is one thing he knows to do - Cut Costs. Recent layoff, not investing in technology and people, no replacement hires for developers that leave, no farewell send aways for departing employees, etc. are a result... of this mentality. 3. Weak leadership begets more weak leaders. A few recent promotions, just to keep employees from quitting, resulting in more leaders who don't really know what they are supposed to do. Main reason why someone is quitting every other week. 4. Compensation used to be a selling point here - not anymore. 5. Trying hard to keep the lights on and sell the company -> I would be surprised if the company is still around at the end of 2020. (Makes me sad actually when I think about what the company once was) 6. Focus is more on rebranding the company to whats hot in the market - than introspecting and harnessing our true strengths to deliver value for clients/customers.

Advice to Management

Bring in real leaders and stop being in survival mode - its only making things worse.

Dstillery2019-03-14
  9. "Do not work there!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Dstillery full-time for more than a year

Pros

free food, work from home capabilities

Cons

Toxic work environment, extremely clique-y, let the sales team run the show

Dstillery2019-03-01

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Dstillery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid senior engineering team. Excellent coding practices in places. Generous vacation + humane working hours.

Cons

Uncertainty in profits + layoffs + attrition rate high means that it's not a stable working environment at time of writing. This will change once the company gets back to profit growth.

Dstillery2018-12-31