Dstillery Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2021

4.2
Dstillery CEO Michael Beebe (no image)
Michael Beebe
Pros
  • "Dstillery knows how to care for its people, Amazing culture, work-life balance(in 16 reviews)

• "I've worked at Dstillery for several years and have been challenged every(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains - which any small company within the media space goes through(in 3 reviews)

• "There have been a few articles and PR wins lately, which are great, but there is practically no brand marketing outside and around the industry(in 2 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

Mar 31, 2021 - Marketing Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really smart people, amazing benefits, love the culture

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Collaborative culture

Dec 29, 2020 - Engineering
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very team focused. Strongly values the input from employees

Cons

None worth mentioning at this time

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to learn and grow from

Dec 9, 2020 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

CEO is caring and smart. Product team is knowledgable, takes feedback well, and really trying to build a useful product. Customer Service team is a great group to be part of, lots of places to learn and excel in.

Cons

Lots of consultants in and out of company. Product may be coming to an end soon depending on adtech market changes.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good leadership and fun culture

Mar 10, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I felt very supported during my time with Dstillery - I liked my managers and appreciated the overall culture of work/life balance. They really see everyone as an individual with a full life outside of work, create opportunities for people to hang out in a non-work capacity through the culture committee, and give credit to put towards learning and development which is an awesome bonus. Also, a lot of the people are just really intelligent and kind. Definitely sad to leave so soon.

Cons

Senior leadership team has been changing a bit which can be confusing at times, but all the new faces they've brought in have been great. Participation in the culture committee events has gone down over time but a few people keep it going strong. I feel a bit bad for the people who work outside of the New York office because it seems to make communication more challenging for them.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Incredibly Lucky to Work Here

Feb 4, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at Dstillery for several years and have been challenged every.single.day. I'm surrounded by super smart people who have also been here for years and genuinely care about our company and product. Strong leadership, culture and data science secret weapon. Oh and product really works. Work hard, play hard culture.

Cons

none that I can think of

6. 3.0
      Former Employee

Mixed Feelings

May 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was lucky to work alongside some talented people and believe the technology did have potential.

Cons

Company could be a bit cliquey and not all members of senior management seemed up to par. Was a bit difficult to thrive in a setting where you couldn't look up to or learn from all leaders.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Dstillery is the "Best" place to work for!

Oct 18, 2019 - Engineering Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

This place is all about people and culture. Dstillery knows how to care for its people, Amazing culture, work-life balance. Emphasizes a lot on technology research, and to work on cutting-edge technologies. Management is excellent; they feel for you — really cool benefits. Business is getting stronger, and so is the company.

Cons

The usual stuff that goes with any growing company. And all those challenges are healthy challenges.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Relatively new but good experience

Aug 2, 2019 - Other in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

SUMMARY The office is great, everyone is very friendly, and the pay, benefits and work life balance is pretty incredible. Also, the amount of smart people who work here is very impressive. Most companies feel like a "boys club" dominated by a male management team and then loud sales teams without having a good product or truly good people behind it. It does not feel like that here at all. COMPANY DIRECTION There is a new strategy that was just shared with us this Spring and additional funding from investors to support the plan, which is a great sign that the finance community believes in the new strategy enough to invest in it. That seemed to settle a good amount of the anxiety that a lot of people had earlier this year before the strategy was released. The new strategy seems pretty on target with where the market is going if you follow the industry articles and trends, but it’s too early to say how successful it will be. WORK LIFE BALANCE AND BENEFITS Most people are in 9:30-6:00, so it is already way more balanced than my last job. The pay, benefits, and cultural perks are amazing, and it’s a very friendly, inclusive environment. You get summer Fridays off, unlimited vacation, there are company outings, extracurricular clubs like the Music Club, Book Club, and Video Game Club, and there are awards and programs throughout the year for everyone to share their compliments with each other, which is a really nice way to make you feel appreciated. Also, your healthcare benefits are all 100% paid for by the company, which I have not experienced before.

Cons

MARKETING The marketing and brand awareness needs a lot of help. There have been a few articles and PR wins lately, which are great, but there is practically no brand marketing outside and around the industry. Most of the marketing is focused on product marketing, sales decks, and a few web or social posts. TRAINING There was a real lack of training for new hires, which seems to be improving with new systems and directors working on this, but this was something I struggled with when I started. CHANGING DIRECTION There is a lot of talk about the last few years and how the company has been changing direction, which left a sour taste in many people's mouths. Since I have not been here long enough to know what it was like before then, I have no opinion on the old versus new direction. Based on my experience I have been very satisfied.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Going down

Mar 13, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. The last few heads that are around 2. Few good initiatives in Datascience / MLE team 3. work-life balance

Cons

1. Employee morale took a downturn in the past 2 years and the new CEO and leadership did not take the right measures to help. 2. Current CEO was the CFO before (with no priori experience as CEO) and there is one thing he knows to do - Cut Costs. Recent layoff, not investing in technology and people, no replacement hires for developers that leave, no farewell send aways for departing employees, etc. are a result of this mentality. 3. Weak leadership begets more weak leaders. A few recent promotions, just to keep employees from quitting, resulting in more leaders who don't really know what they are supposed to do. Main reason why someone is quitting every other week. 4. Compensation used to be a selling point here - not anymore. 5. Trying hard to keep the lights on and sell the company -> I would be surprised if the company is still around at the end of 2020. (Makes me sad actually when I think about what the company once was) 6. Focus is more on rebranding the company to whats hot in the market - than introspecting and harnessing our true strengths to deliver value for clients/customers.

9 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Future is bright

Jul 23, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team has built an incredibly promising and effective platform that continues to grow. The people are wonderful and really care about making their work have an impact on eachother and their clients.

Cons

The recent strategic pivot has been an adjustment, but the company will come out stronger for it.

2 people found this review helpful