DuPont Reviews | Glassdoor

DuPont Interim Chairman and CEO Edward D. Breen
Edward D. Breen

1,385 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • DuPont is company that respects employee work-life balance and create a secure environment to work (in 160 reviews)

• DuPont spread it's core values in you not only as a professional but also as a human being (in 136 reviews)

Cons
  • With the recent merger with Dow Chemicals the Organization is undergoing major restructuring (in 56 reviews)

• No respect for people if contractors (in 20 reviews)

"Good old boy network still alive and well at DuPont."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, WV

Pros

DuPont is one of the largest employers in a small area and one of the best paying. Would recommend working as an operator, since they work hard at keeping them happy. Not so true with salaried jobs.

Cons

Management changes frequently and they do not receive training. The attitude is sink or swim - especially since they had to go through that first. They provide less training than anywhere else I have ever worked and there was a lot of fingerpointing.

Advice to Management

Train your managers and listen to employee feedback. HR totally backs the managers, not the people who report to them. I had heard that before working there and discovered it was very true.

2. "Still 200 years ago"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Company reputation. Ability to work with good products. Dupont has a good name still in the industries in which they work. Or so we are told. They seme to be financially stable even in the curretn recession. We will see about that though.

Cons

Top down management. Not always competent. No feedback for performance. No guldelines as to how to get a promotion. The senior management live in their own world with no contact with underlings and they do not seem to care about them.

Advice to Management

Loosen up. Try to harness the talents of th epeople under you instead of regarding them as nuisances to be worked around.

"Jobs for people here in the states that need them are not important"

Current Employee - Engineer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Engineer in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Benefits, They too are going away though, more cost and less range of benefits

Cons

Managers are merely puppets, their whole purpose is to send as much work out of the states as possible, it does not matter how many times we have to fix and redesign the work here, they will hide the funds and hide all the mistakes, there are hundreds of jobs that could be put to good use here in the states, it is a shame that the company has no regard for the people here in the states and don't care about the company since the direction they are heading in will be their demise.

Advice to Management

Find managers that know the chemical business not bean counters that only know how to count pennies and run a business in the ground based on their own selfish beliefs, the mentality must change for all speciality chemical companies or they will be no more, We brought this company to where it is now, technology, design, mentality and expertise, sending our jobs to a 3rd world country is absurd, and not in the interest of the working people, Ellen needs to undestand the dire situation of the jobs being sent outside, we have the expertise right here and they will do it right the first time with little direction, I don't know how any CEO that is doing this practice of sending jobs away can sleep at night, have you no shame or conscience.

"Management only wants to send our work out of this country"

Current Employee - Design in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Bene's are very good, hours are good and many good people to work with

Cons

Management at the top are clueless when it comes to executing a project from start to finish, they only are interested in sending the work outside of the company, the work they get back is shody and incomplete with many many mistakes.

Advice to Management

Bean counters run the company, my advice get rid of all the bean counters and bring in real engineering managers back to those positions and bring the work back to the people that care about the product that goes out the door, I am one who cares as are my peers about the company and the work and detail that goes into our projects, Greed is ruining this business, if you take the time to really see the bad quality of work that comes back 2nd and 3rd time for fixing you would see how muc money you really waste, was the cheap labor really worth all the rework?

"Sending Jobs out of this country is a top priority"

Current Employee - Design in Wilmington, DE

Pros

There are some good benefits but they are going up in cost and the hours are good, outside of that the rest of the company woes cause more friction than good work and communication can justify as a good place to work.

Cons

Outsourcing, Outsourcing and more Outsourcing, at one of the worst economic meltdowns in history, the CEO of Dupont is currently trying to ship all the jobs from the Wilmington office, and not only send the jobs but her and the managers want to get rid of engineering all together, never mind that most engineers working for them know the work quality that you get from a US worker is unmatched by anyone outside of the USA, we have decades of quality work and experience, but Greed and the all mighty dollar are what drives the CEO to drive this company in the dirt, they will not last going in this direction, as a stockholder we all need to make this public and hold them accountable for their actions, including the board members.

Advice to Management

There are not enough words to make any of these greedy managers listen, the direction is not forward, they need to think about the destruction that they are causing by this outsourcing, maybe we should outsource the mangers and the CEO, has anyone thought about this concept, maybe we would all get a raise instead of every penny made going to the CEO.
    We need mangers with engineering experience and a the knowledge to bring this company back to what it once was, a global leader in specialty chemicals and fibers, a leader in Technology.

"If you're thinking of working here, think again."

Former Employee - Research Associate in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Wilmington, DE

Pros

Relatively equitable salary and health benefits. I suppose as a research chemist in a large company, I was able over the years to command decent budgets for new equipment and supplies.
    Generally, I was able to attend at least one scientific meeting per year, and interact with colleagues outside of the company on occasion. The facilities were on a par with other places I have worked (lab, equipment, library, computers, cafeteria etc).

Cons

Where do I begin? Support staff is the biggest disappointment. Dupont management is terrified of unionized technical help and will do anything to keep the techs happy. Consequently the PI's are at the mercy of the English major technician mafia, and God forbid if anyone tries to right the apple cart or complain in any way. Next I would fault senior management for allowing PI's to work on sophomoronic and impossible goals. But then, most managers are so as they were the least competent at science in the first place. They bring true meaning to the company's motto "Miracles of Science". Meanwhile Dupont's patent positions suffer in so many fields, further lowering morale.

Advice to Management

At any job, the minimum one expects is to be treated with dignity and respect. I expect my manager to be honest, open, and fair. This I did not get at Dupont. My job became a nightmare and an experience I would not wish upon anyone. My advice to Ms Kullman is to install an outside scientific review panel and lose the senior level managers who have been lying their way to upper level positions as fast as she can. Set some realistic goals and projects which can bring the company out of their current product doldrums (TiO2 still?). Require professional expert training in management, and allow honest reverse (bottom up) appraisals of managers.

"Upper Management with alterior motives"

Current Employee - Engineer in Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at DuPont full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate interview/offer allowed me to get a very good salary.

Cons

The company, as a whole stresses, "core values" such as respect for people and safety/health, however, at the Valdosta site, upper management will use these values against you if they have a personal problem with you. I was harassed for months by another employee and when I finally spoke out, I was retaliated against and put on probation. If you are disliked by a select group of management, they will try to get you on a safety or respect violation in order to get you out the door, or at least dock your pay. They don't respect individual thinkers. Hard work isn't valued. Management gossips about people as bad as those working on the floor. I am so very dissapointed by this experience. I hope that corporate is ignorant to what is going on there, otherwise this established company is quickly going down-hill.

Advice to Management

Be honest, be fair, stay out of people's personal lives, and don't play fast and loose with their lively-hoods.

"“No advancement opportunities, poor benefits, declining compensation”_Wow! This states it pretty accurately!"

I have been working at DuPont full-time

Pros

Unfortunately, there is not a single one! From the time I started with the company, the only consistency was inconsistency. The rules change based on who you are, and who likes you in management. You rarely get the same answer to the same question; management is completely biased, and supports you IF you are in the "In" crowd. It is too bad, because the LMS and training content are really great.

Cons

There is inconsistent direction, disfunction, extremely poor leadership, poor customer service, and no respect for employees. Management won't even talk to you if you aren't in the "In" crowd. They won't work with you on deals to win business unless they like you. Responsiveness to any issue is either extremely slow, or nonexistent. You may simply be ignored...over and over and over.

Advice to Management

Learn the business, and how to treat employees with respect (one of your core values)! I would replace the whole lot of them and start over!

9. "Not a leader anymore and not a very good 'follower'"

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Parkersburg, WV
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician in Parkersburg, WV

I have been working at DuPont full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

History of company discoveries has helped many but that is in the past. Safety of employees is still strong.

Cons

Major law suits in the past few years is very disappointing. Management spends more time doing "coverup work" than fixing the problems. Benefits are not good and getting worst. Pay, based on hours in a work week is very poor!!

Advice to Management

Move on and let someone else lead us

10. "Weak leadership that shows little interest in employee engagement"

I have been working at DuPont full-time

Pros

DuPont overall is a great diverse company

Cons

Little chance for advancement. Concern about long term viability of the business.

Advice to Management

The business will not be successful. Unless you change the go-to-market strategy

Showing 1,385 of 1,509 reviews