DuPont Reviews | Glassdoor

DuPont Reviews

Updated July 25, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility and work life balance is good (in 141 reviews)

• Good Place to work and learn, strong emphasis is given on company core values which is highly appreciated by employees (in 111 reviews)

"Former employee reveiw"

Former Employee - Maintenance Planner
    Former Employee - Maintenance Planner

I worked at DuPont full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Luckily worked long enough to get a little pension

Cons

Quit caring about their people a long time ago

"Uncertainty reigns"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

Pros

R&D has been stimulating and rewarding. Innovation has been broadly recognized, but that buys little regard In current atmosphere of short term thinking of dramatic cost cutting.

Cons

Current situation very uncertain. Upcoming planned merger and split appears quite disadvantageous to employees in Delaware, with job cuts and forced relocation of employees to Iowa, Indiana and Michigan expected. Significant loss of younger talent ongoing.

Advice to Management

Be honest about current climate. Try to retain some talent other than top executives, because future success depends upon more than a layer at the top. Many employees are fed up and waiting for separation package so as to be done with Breen Plan.

"DuPont Executive Management Position"

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Wilmington, DE

I worked at DuPont full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

DuPont does expose you to multiple areas of personal/professional growth. With the diversity of products and services DuPont offers, it's very easy to get exposure to a diverse amount of markets and job types which certainly helps your professional growth. In addition, DuPont is (or at least they used to be) pretty generous about allowing for opportunities for education and professional development. I was able to get a variety of leading and relevant certifications and degree (MBA) with DuPont's support.

Cons

They are going through a major upheaval at this point in time which has caused the company to be more reactive than strategic, and more short term vs. long term focused. This results in a working environment that can be highly stressful, confusing, and unstable. People treatment behavior has lowered significantly and turnover is probably at an all-time high. DuPont used to pride itself on striving for World Class Manufacturing but now that it's laid off so many of it's continuous improvement and productions systems resources, it's all about getting to the next quarter targets...by any means necessary.

Advice to Management

I understand the concept of stopping the bleeding, but it needs to be balanced with sound long term strategy so as not to create more bleeding! I just don't believe that purely reactive management and decision making will help even with the pending transition.

4. "Started Great, but the company changed"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Wilmington, DE

I worked at DuPont full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong safety culture, great for chemical engineers, industry leader in diverse set of businesses

Cons

constant change and chaos. Lack of focus on core businesses.

5. "Lean Six Sigma Black Belt"

Current Employee - Lean Six Sigma Black Belt in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Lean Six Sigma Black Belt in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at DuPont full-time

Pros

Nice opportunities many years ago.

Cons

Nothing is stable or transparent. Leadership is 'leading' but no one follows, turn around. Core values must strengthen. Use of the words Core Values will not get us there.

6. "Manufacturing Technology Engineer"

Former Intern - Manufacturing Intern in Parlin, NJ
    Former Intern - Manufacturing Intern in Parlin, NJ

I worked at DuPont as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very high salary in comparison to other internships, tried to include interns in remote locations by hosting conference calls from the headquarters, invited interns for a networking event at headquarters in Wilmington. If you are interested in working for them, they will help you achieve it.

Cons

Very boring internship-there was barely any work and even the other employees at the location were miserable with their jobs. I think internships/jobs in Wilmington headquarters were probably much better but I worked in a plant and it did not have a good environment. The offices were old and dingy, it was also more than a 5 minute walk from the parking lot. The other workers seemed very unhappy with their jobs.

Advice to Management

Interns don't enjoy being bored or doing busywork-revamp the internship program!

7. "Great company"

I worked at DuPont full-time

Pros

good paying job. overtime is hit and miss

Cons

bad local leadership from Axis site

"The Past 5 Years"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at DuPont full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started with DuPont out of college in 2011. Having been at 4 different sites in that time, this is a summary of what I've experienced.

Great 401k program: 100% match up to 6% plus 3% extra from company
    Competitive pay for the chemical industry
    Excellent diversity within the company - both employees and business units
    Managers and peers care about you
    Ellen Kullman had the right idea of keeping the company together

Cons

Slow decision making, small sites are better than large sites
    Poor handle on capital investments - very little growth projects
    Have lost many great colleagues due to layoffs, spin-offs and sales
    Too many managers, not enough employees at the production sites
    Too many headquartered in Wilmington that cripple decision making processes
    Never enough resources committed to make something work causing projects to drag out
    Corporate rollouts and initiatives, but this has lighted up in the last few years
    Little to no formal classroom training, there used to be much more 5 years ago
    Wide differences between rewards and celebrations between sites, less than there used to be
    Constant change does not let up

Advice to Management

Give your employees a break. There has been too much change over these last 5 years that is wearing on people. Productivity is in decline because of increased stress in the work environment to do more with less resources, time, and compensation.

9. "Dupont, not that great a place to work"

Pros

Great co-workers, great job with meaningful work.

Cons

Pay has been stagnant. Dupont is a large company with lots of bureaucracy, and nothings gets done. To make things worse, the merger with Dow has led to more cutting costs (unnecessary) and more work for already overly stressed workers, and has caused our best workers to move on to better jobs. This has lead to the deterioration of morale, and less productive workforce. Dupont loves to throw around how great it's core values are, and expects everyone to follow them, yet treats their employees with very little respect. Management only cares about making as much money as possible, which leads to short sighted judgement that ultimately is hurting the company, and get this, make less money. Our company (a good company) was bought out a few years ago by Dupont, so I know both sides of the of how a company can operate and make huge profits.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people, they are the key to your success. Letting experienced people go is hampering the company.

"It's okay."

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at DuPont full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best coworkers I've ever had. Fantastic environment to learn in as a new scientist as resources are plenty. People are genuinely caring and collaborative

Cons

Senior management out of touch with their employees, plenty of uncertainty, future of junior staff feels uncertain

Advice to Management

Communicate better with your employees. You hired us because we're presumably smart people. Be up front with us and don't try to trick us.

Showing 152 of 1,281 reviews