Duane Reade Reviews | Glassdoor

Duane Reade Reviews

Updated June 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible schedule gives better option to work there for students (in 20 reviews)

• You get to meet new people and learn a lot of new things when it comes to sales and management (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They will work you like a slave for minimum wage (in 25 reviews)

• low pay, poor environment sometimes (in 22 reviews)

1. "Low ceiling and high stress... very poor / unreliable work-life balance"

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Duane Reade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are still many good-hearted, hard-working people here

Cons

...unfortunately, very few of those are in the middle management you'll report to... Many veteran SMs are afraid to speak up for fear of retaliation, based on past experience (transfers to an undesirable store / horrible commute being one of the common tricks of the trade).

Walgreens seems to have done a poor job of vetting holdover DR district and corporate mgt for integrity... there are many retail careerists who are willing to lie, cheat, or backstab for their own enrichment / survival. I witnessed nepotism, favoritism, & double standards go unpunished. HR does not provide checks and balances against executive misconduct.

In short, it's not a supportive environment. There are few seats at the top, and those in them are not interested in developing talent that could compete.

There's a lot of downward pressure on store operations (every dept is dependent upon store execution/success, for continued existence) instead of support. Most DMs will stay in our corner only as long as you can keep your KPI dashboard green; otherwise more than half are pretty quick to throw you under the bus. Salaried store mgt will be squeezed to fill in the gap every time they cut labor. You will always be held to high standards even while the rug is being pulled out from under your feet. There was literally no one in district or corporate management I look up to or would want to emulate, on skill, intelligence, or integrity.

Advice to Management

To DR mgt: we already know your ears work very selectively.

To WAG/Boots mgt: in this market, there's a lot of lip service paid to your cultural values. A closer inspection would reveal that there's a lot of poison in this well. A shame, because there's so much retail talent in NYC.

2. "Wouldn't recommend this place at all"

Former Employee - Cashier/Stock Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stock Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Duane Reade (More than a year)

Pros

A few of my co-workers made it fun, other than that there is NOTHING positive to say.

Cons

Horrible pay
    Wanted cashiers to clean bathrooms, etc.
    No heat, had to work in my coat, hat and scarf some days.
    Rude shift leaders.

3. "Discriminatory Practices At Managerial Level"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Duane Reade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with my ever-changing school schedule.

I met (a lot of) people who offered me better positions elsewhere. The people who came in and bought things were mostly nice....People from everywhere from Estonia to Peru to Kenya. That part of working in the heart of New York was a major plus.

Cons

I dealt with discrimination from my manager but when I called headquarters and followed up with them and the union...nothing. I was very open to learning new things and skills, yet after 4 years, my manager repeatedly passed me over for Head Cashier and other positions for new workers who didn't have more experience than I did. We kept butting heads over issues, such as my hair (African American); with my manager telling me that I couldn't wear A) A wig because customers were complaining about it, 2) I had to get it done when I wore it naturally; even though I was trying to save money.

It was beyond unprofessional. I got into a position where I ended up homeless and had to come to work with suitcases every day (Via Metro North because the shelter was outside of NY).

A lady from the union came, I contacted a gentleman from the union and I contacted headquarters several times. Without avail.

Advice to Management

Employees need more representation. They need to feel that 1) If they voice their opinion they will be heard and 2) If they voice their opinions they won't be subject to their managers trying to "get back" at them.

4. "Great work environment."

Former Employee - Cashier/Stock in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stock in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Duane Reade part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Makes you feel like home, has benefits like paid sick days and paid vacation. Duane reade even though acquired by Walgreens still has a union.

Cons

Manual labor intensive work. Gets monotonous and repetitive sometimes. Once in a while there will be people trying to steal stuff.

Advice to Management

It would be great if there would have been security at the store.

5. "don't let the interview fool you. working here wont be too much about makeup application"

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Duane Reade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

a few paid trainings with Gratis
    good coworkers

Cons

too much about sales
    applied very little makeup
    hourly wage wasnt high
    depending on your manager, you can work terrible shifts leaving little time for much else

6. "It was ok manager just didnt care about anyone"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

Pros

co workers, customers sometimes,was a good first job good experience

Cons

manager, shoplifters, manager, manager, getting cursed out everyday by shoplifters and scammers

Advice to Management

treat employees like they are humans

7. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Head Cashier | Team Lead | Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Head Cashier | Team Lead | Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Duane Reade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good part time job while in school. Room to be promoted in the company if you want. Lots of locations to transfer to if needed.

Cons

The company is deceitful. The employee are minimally trained and their HR department and union is completely laughable. Most time store managers fail to spread appropriate information to team members for fear that they might become aware of employees rights.

Advice to Management

Management should take more time being trained before being promoted or hired. Management should start being more professional with relationships within the company.

8. "Never again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

I've work at Duane reade for almost a year. It seems like a company to grow in but some managers will stop you

Cons

Long hours, bias management, don't care about employees.

Advice to Management

You are all amatures please go take some management classes and learn how to deal with people.

9. "Duane Reade, The Truth"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Duane Reade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They will hire anyone... Literally!!!

Cons

Management only cares about profits not employees. It's a revolving door, employees constantly leave for a better job.

Advice to Management

Take employee complaints seriously, especially the ones who have been there for years.

10. "Community Management Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Duane Reade (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is dynamic, you get to learn new things everyday. The internship program itself is designed well with learning goals every week during the 10-week internship period.
    You get paid for learning retail industry.

Cons

Really challenging for interns to understand everything during 10-week period.

Advice to Management

Projects are helpful in guiding interns to learn new things.