Dubuque Community Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Dubuque Community Schools Superintendent Stan Rheingans
Stan Rheingans

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great place to work."

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Dubuque Community Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dubuque Schools are well organized and run, and though some schools have more behaviour problems than others, I have never felt more at home and more comfortable than being a substitute teacher in many of these schools. Everyone is so friendly and helpful!

Cons

There really aren't many problems with the school system that I have noticed. There will be an elimination of spring break next year, but that might be a good thing - snow and cold weather have created a very late school year this year.

2. "Substitute teacher; secondary; middle school; and elementary"

Current Employee - Currently A Substitute Teacher With Dubuque Community Schools in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Dubuque Community Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with young people. I taught high school and college level English, speech, and theatre (production planning and coordination) for 32 years at Wahlert High School. I had to be very organized and when I was, the students had a great time and worked really hard on some great scenery, costumes, props and all back-stage duties.I still enjoy working in the classroom with teens especially, and am very comfortable supervising and teaching a variety of subjects.

Cons

I sometimes wish substitutes got 'hazard pay'--I work with some very difficult students from time to time. I work a great deal with special education students and enjoy the one on one. The substitutes' schedule is either feast or famine and I find myself wanting work days that I can plan on.

Advice to Management

I think school management--principals and assistants, and others in charge do a pretty good job keeping the schedules managable for all, and for making sure there are enough substitute teachers in the appropriate subjects. I really have no complaints about the management personnel at the school where I substitute.

3. "Great atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Clerical Paraprofessional in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Clerical Paraprofessional in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Dubuque Community Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed and comfortable, friendly staff

Cons

pay structure misleading, not willing to try ideas in office atmosphere

4. "I have experience as a teacher aide and cafeteria aide."

Pros

I enjoy working with people and helping others. I like the great hours and working with children.

Cons

I can't think of any cons other than not always being able to help the children in everything they need.

Advice to Management

I worked in DeWitt Community schools.

5. "Fair employer"

I have been working at Dubuque Community Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Work/Life balance
    Fair Pay
    Fair Benefits
    Job stability is strong

Cons

Little chance for advancement
    Turn over is high in some positions

6. "It all depends..."

I worked at Dubuque Community Schools full-time

Pros

If one is lucky enough to get a supportive supervisor (school principal), even the most challenging of school environments can be conducive to effective teaching and learning. I speak from experience in what my students and I were able to accomplish in the "tough" middle school.

Cons

One is at the mercy of the building principal. In another center I had to teach during "zero hour" (before the school day) and this adversely affected my ability to grow a program. Also, it's rather disheartening when, during an interview, the "boss" admits that he knows absolutely nothing about your discipline.

Advice to Management

The HR department must assure that it follows all of the policies and guidelines in the master agreement. As in the "cons" section, it is all too often at the whim of whomever is the director. There is also a great deal of administrative "inbreeding" as well as increasing numbers of administrators even when the district was laying off teachers.

7. "Very supportive, great place to work!"

I worked at Dubuque Community Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This school has found a very good balance between balancing the needs of students, families, administrators and teachers. The teachers are hard working, truly care about kids on all levels, academic, social, athletic, in the arts, etc. The administration held us to high standards but also supported us when needed.

Cons

Had to teach 6 sections every day - hard work!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!