Dude Solutions Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2021

3.2
Dude Solutions CEO and Executive Chairman Kevin Kemmerer (no image)
Kevin Kemmerer
Pros
  • "Flexible with work-life balance and unlimited PTO(in 31 reviews)

• "Great benefits, work life balance and the quality folks to work alongside(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing company with growing pains, however 2020 seems to have started with a lot of excitement and a unified vision on how to move forward(in 19 reviews)

• "It's a high growth company, so learn to be flexible(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Love it here!

May 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very collaborative, attentive management, great pay and benefits

Cons

None that I can think of right now

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people. Company has vision.

Jun 8, 2021 - Senior Quality Engineer in Cary, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Quality product and growing. Good benefits.

Cons

Really heavy on political views. Lots of support for causes not everyone agrees with. Anytime a business takes a stance on societal ideologies someone is going to be offended or alienated. Leave your personal views at the doorstep.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Don't Do It!

Jun 6, 2021 - CSC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pro is that I met some of the best people to work with. They were amazing teammates and my life is better for knowing them. That said, I hope they all leave because this company acts as if employees are dispensable.

Cons

Let me start off by throwing my support behind the May 28th review titled "be more efficient". YES to all of that! I'm also going to call out the racism of the place. I knew I needed to leave when they posted their black square on social media yet when I asked if there were plans to hire a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion specialist the HR Director said no, that they were going to rely on the employee resource group. I'm sorry I must have misheard because what I'm hearing is that in the midst of a pandemic that is shredding people's mental health, this company now expects the BIPOC employees to teach the company how to not be racists on top of the jobs we are already doing, making far less than we should be, while none of our metrics changed to account for pandemic?! Oh okay I see how important DEI work actually is to the company. Or what about the time in a moment of stupidity, I decided to be vulnerable and honest with my white male manager and explained how his words affect me as a woman of color and the response was "I don't know how you made this about race" and "Am I now supposed to watch what I say around you?" This is the same manager who said it's difficult to find time to speak with me because I keep such tight business hours - that I don't offer him time to talk to me outside of work. But don't worry because work/life balance is important...yeah right. Or what about the time a sales rep sold something that the company DID NOT DO. Literally, the company doesn't work in software outside of what they sell. Yet this sales rep told a client that the team would work with the client to build something in different software that tied into the Dude Solutions software. Sales rep was told that is not correct and was supposed to go back to the client and fix the issue. Yet two months later the same client comes back. I say, we don't do that. An email thread with no less than three white male managers and they asked what I could do to help. Why wasn't the question why didn't the sales rep didn't fix his screw up two months? Why was it on me to fix it? Not one manager pushed back until a teammate was added to the email thread to back me up. And what did the white sales rep do? He created an internal case that said I refused to help the client so someone needed to reach out. Do you know what that can do to the reputation of a woman of color?! Did anyone defend me? Nope! And don't let me get started on the numerous times I was applauded and told how valuable I was yet I couldn't get a pay raise or a title change. I finally got fed up with my manager's lack of management and management skills and asked who I needed to speak with because I knew the men hired after me were making more and then suddenly they found money in the budget. Most middle managers are mediocre at best. They've been with the company a long time and they got promoted, but there is no requirement to actually be a suitable people manager. They like people who will be 'yes' people. If you don't fit their ideal, they'll let you work there knowing full well you'll never move up, but will dangle that carrot on a string to keep you. Don't do it. It's not worth the horrific toll it will take on your mental health. And don't bother going to HR. I did once and the suggestion was to speak to the person I had concerns about. Why would I come to HR if I wanted to speak to that person myself? Be careful of all the positive reviews. There's a reason there are 52 job openings and it's not because they are growing. ENTIRE teams are quitting.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

"Be more efficient"

May 28, 2021 - CSC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Unlimited PTO policy (also a con, see below) -Some of the nicest people I've had the chance to work with are here, but their numbers are dwindling as truly talented and amazing coworkers are leaving the company in droves. -Individual and lower level employees are amazing, once you start to get into management, it gets a bit dicey. -Nice to see female people leaders in management levels -Offers an Employee Assistance Program (you'll need it!) -Job experience. OH BOY will you learn. You're going to learn how to do your job, probably your bosses job, and at least 2 other people's jobs as well! Be prepared to "wear several hats" and "stay flexible" as "the company continues to grow!".

Cons

-Low pay. Insulting for the amount of work they will expect of you. -Salaries are based on job description by location ONLY. Doesn't include cost of living at all. -Unable to utilize the unlimited PTO policy because you will be too busy doing the work of 3 people and if you do take time off - it's not worth it in the end because of the amount of catching up you will have to do. -Work/life balance will not exist if you work with one of the more siloed products (aka almost anything other than AE). -You will be given the work of around 3 people without compensating you for the extra work. -When you ask to backfill positions in order to accommodate the work you are trying to do, you will be told "Be more efficient" instead of correctly staffing based on the product/customer needs. -No cell phone/internet reimbursement policy for individual level employees, even after the company has been remote for over a year. -Be prepared to do other people's jobs on top of the 3 you are already covering for. The account management team has 0 support and employee retainment has been a joke so there's a good chance you'll be doing their job too. - HR is an absolute mess/joke. Don't even bother. Seriously, go talk to your pet first before you go to HR because your pet will likely have more empathy or be able to do anything about whatever your issue is. -Lots of favoritism amongst management. Better pray/kiss up to the right person, otherwise they won't really care about you. ELT will tell you that they got your back and will help fight for you, until the moment you actually ask for their help. Then they will side with their favorite making the whole effort pointless. -If you aren't on the East Coast (USA) be prepared for those 5 AM mandatory training sessions and meeting times. Ridiculous how many people were (willfully ignorant/uncaring) of other employees time zones when scheduling meetings. -Did we mention low pay? We did? Okay just wanted to make sure we're clear - LOW PAY. -No money to pay for employee yearly bonuses in 2020....but had the funds to acquire 2 different companies in the middle of a pandemic. -Constantly changing the bonus/pay structure. It changed twice in 3 years and seems to occur each time the company gets a new CEO... -Everything done is for the investors- not the people actually doing the work. -Anyone above Sr Manager is basically untouchable. Doesn't matter that their leadership is forcing people to quit left and right, the products are struggling, etc. They will still be there while they edge out the "problem employees" (aka the employees who called things as they were and weren't "YESSIR" to everything). -Huge "yessir" culture. They don't want to hear how things actually are, just want to hear "yes" and move on. -Toxic work environments across departments, "us vs them" mentalities that appear to be encouraged by upper management. Good luck getting DevOps to work with you without having to involve an ELT member. -Company is 20+ years old and still hasn't figured out how to properly QA before releases which then falls on other teams that aren't compensated nor have the bandwidth to perform the work (aka Support). This isn't a specific issue to a singular product either, it's a company-wide issue. -Really only seems to learn things through failure.

13 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good Starter Company

Jun 9, 2021 - Manager in Cary, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Was a good place to grow some skills as an entry-level worker in the tech industry.

Cons

Low pay and regular changes in leadership.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee

Not what it used to be

Jun 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great IC associates and teams.

Cons

Newer management did not fit the culture of the company. Once they were acquired, things went down hill

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0

Great place

May 19, 2021 - Client Support Analyst in Graham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

unlimited paid time off good people cool building

Cons

don't pay near enough for all the stuff we have to deal with

8. 4.0

Work Life Balance

May 19, 2021 - Senior Project Coordinator in Cary, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

work life balance is great

Cons

Salary is not competitive in my opinion

9. 3.0

Global push hurting employees

May 18, 2021 - G&A
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/life balance and lots of good teams.

Cons

Salary not up to par and global push has taken away the culture that made people come to the company. No career pathing in place.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company, growing quickly still after 22 years

Apr 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Room for growth. Training. Work from home options, 401k match, great leaders

Cons

I've witnessed talent leave for lack of space to grow, lack of coaching, people being overlooked. It's bitten us quite a bit

1 person found this review helpful

Dude Solutions Response

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback. You are right, we have had some employees leave Dude for growth opportunities at other companies. While we hope employees will find growth opportunities inside the company sometimes the opportunity they are seeking and/or timing doesn't align. We are continuing to invest in resources and tools for employees and leaders to enhance career development conversations. If you have additional ideas on how we can continue to support employees and leaders in this area I would love to chat.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 315 Reviews