Dude Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Dude Solutions CEO Kent Hudson
Kent Hudson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is also a huge plus here (in 17 reviews)

• Challenging work, great pay, great benefits (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains with the spreading of company culture during heavy hiring, occasional drama between strong personalities, long hiring process (in 9 reviews)

• Raises continue to be delayed and there seems to be no room for growth aside from lateral moves (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Cary, NC

I have been working at Dude Solutions full-time

Pros

Management truly cares about, not just your success within the company, but about YOU in general! Good benefits, seem to be competitive in the market. Do your job, work hard, and you will reap the benefits. Work life balance is also a huge plus here.

Cons

Although I don't personally see this as a "con", this is not a place for folks who can't handle the average stress that comes with a sales job. Its a competitive environment that will melt the average snowflake!

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. No managers are perfect and you will always at some point make someone mad, comes with the territory. I've been upset with management time to time here but good luck finding a better sales team to work for and be successful!

"Sales Management Cares about the individual"

I have been working at Dude Solutions full-time

Pros

-Management cares about my personal life as well as my professional life
    -Commission percentages
    -Benchmark goals that are attainable
    -Coworkers that love working at the Dude
    -Supportive environment with team building & Friday drinks

Cons

-quick growth has lead to a learning curve, although I enjoy the challenge, it may not be for everyone

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The incentives are working and I appreciate how much thought and care you put into our team.

"D. S. I. - Dumb, Stupid, and Idiotic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at Dude Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Unlimited sick time is a huge plus. Benefits package is okay. There are some genuinely great people that still work here, but long time employees are leaving for other opportunities understandably.

Cons

The rapid growth of the company over the past few years has led to a complete 180 in the quality of employees hired. One of the largest benefits that you can't put a dollar value on is the culture of the company. In the beginning, it was a joy coming to work every day, but over the past few years, it's a chore to get out of bed and walk through those doors. The employees lately are selfish, self serving, catty, petty, back stabbing, dishonest, whiny cry baby's with an undeserving sense of entitlement. Not all the blame lies with the recent hires over the past few years, after all, their managers allow them to be that way, so the lackluster management team in all departments has a large role to play in this. Speaking of management, please improve the communication amongst and between departments. Keep your employees in the loop. Stop pulling the wool over all of our eyes and then blindsiding/bombarding us with unnecessary meetings to go over things that can easily be discussed in a memo/email. Overall, employees are promised the moon to join the company, but in the end you realize you work in a pig sty. The company consistently over promises and under delivers to the work force that has played a large part in getting it to where it is. There is no loyalty from the company to it's long time employees, but the company expects you to work while you are at your desk, as well as once you get home. There is no work-life balance as they over work and under staff key departments, while consistently adding to the frat house that is the Sales Department. Lastly, it seems that in order to get hired or gain any sort of career advancement opportunity, you must be a friend, family member, or acquaintance of upper management. The ranks are filled with nothing but contradictions to the employee handbook, which means that family members are in charge of other family members despite the handbook stating it's against policy. the nepotism must end!!! Overall, working here is like reliving high school and college with all of the favoritism, cliques, and undeserving work with no reward or incentive at all.

Advice to Management

Ever since the company has successfully obtained additional funds from investors, they no longer view employees as favorably as they did. Everybody is a number and if you aren't increasing the bottom line of the company, you have no value. Please stop mismanaging and overworking the few good employees you have left while rewarding your cronies. Stop filling management with yes people. Promote from within. Appreciate the hard workers and for the love of god, fire people that aren't adding value. Go back to valuing the employees and the hard work that people still do because they believe in what the company is and can be. Don't simply place focus on the departments that bring in revenue, reinvesting in their work experience while other departments are treated simply as cost centers. There are people in your employ that may not add to the Dude bank account, but are key to the success of the company and are hard to replace.

4. "Exec. Asst."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Cary, NC

I worked at Dude Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Easy going company to work for.

Cons

Departments within the company seem to be very separated from each other.

Advice to Management

Although there are "different business units" with different functions and goals - you should really try to bring a sense of unity to all the employees regardless of the function or role within the company

"Stay away from sales"

I have been working at Dude Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers and flexibility to move within the organization

Cons

I can speak only for inside sales, but there's the typical sales pressure. However, what I cannot handle is the management treatment of the sales team. Public humiliation and being outed as the norm. if numbers are not hit. Example: a department wide email telling everyone on the sales team who did not hit goals to respond to everyone and apologize that they let them down and are at fault for no early dismissal Friday.

Advice to Management

GET A GRIP. Encouragement and positive work environment attracts and keeps good employees. Blanent bullying and humiliation will get you nowhere and you will soon have nothing but disgruntled employees, which will carry over to your customers.

"Doesn't feel so incredible"

I have been working at Dude Solutions full-time

Pros

Amazing people still work here. The benefits are decent. The overall mission of the company is commendable. There's a company under all of the cons that most people still want to be a part of.

Cons

Five years ago I would have told everyone on earth to work here, now I would not even consider sharing a job opportunity with someone in my network. Employees are nothing more than cost centers at this point. Communication from upper management barely exists, and when it does it's poorly executed. A recent email regarding company resources is a great example of the condescension that exists towards employees--let's kill morale for the cost of a roll of paper towels. Employees are not trusted and many are asked to account for every moment of their day and micromanagement is rampant. Working from home is frowned upon, with management insisting that the office is where work must be done. In 2017, this is further evidence that employees are not trusted or appreciated--and it's a major reason why people are leaving for companies that trust knowledge workers to get things done where and how they want.

Constant reorganizations make working here feel chaotic and poorly organized. Decisions are made without any consideration of how day to day work actually occurs. Roles are changed and people are shuffled for strategies that were clearly not well considered--if they were, multiple reorganizations in just a couple years would not be necessary. It's a internal joke at this point to ask someone who they are working for now. Decisions seem to be made due to anecdotal information that is taken as gospel, and data-driven decisions we preach to clients don't seem to be important.

The repeated promise of "this is a great time to be at the Dude, there are opportunities for growth" needs to just stop if it isn't true. This has been said for several months now and there is no evidence to support the claim but there's plenty to counter it. Every internal position posted is a lateral move. Positions that would represent advancement are rarely announced internally and carry requirements that everyone knows no one internal has so they can hire from outside. Certifications are now favored regardless of the years of industry experience that long time employees have.

Sales has been scaled massively but, as happens with a cost center approach, other areas haven't scaled. This means high performers are expected to do more and more with no additional resources, then management wants to hold them accountable for breakdowns--breakdowns that could have been avoided. There are no raises, there are no promotions, there are no junior level employees brought in to help. There's a tipping point, and it's been approached for a large portion of the non-sales staff.

Professional development is nonexistent, despite statements that employees will be developed.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people, not numbers on a spreadsheet. Hire competent management who care about people--both clients and employees. We'll hit the numbers the board wants if people are motivated instead of hit over the head to meet them.

Stop touting a culture that no longer exists. You've brought in so many people who didn't help build the culture that it is broken--stop pretending it isn't.

Figure out why people are leaving certain departments in droves--it's not hard to figure out if you make even a passive attempt.

If you want PMPs, agile mindsets, and six sigma, then develop these skills internally. INVEST in the employees who have given you years of their lives. INVEST in the employees who were good enough to help build a company that would attract outside investment. Careers have flatlined and there is no incentive to stay--many people have stuck it out in hopes things would get better and they haven't. There are people here who can do incredible things, but you've killed their motivation and value in the market by stalling out careers and professional growth. We trusted you with our careers when we took a leap on you, and that trust is proving to have been misplaced. Trust us to be the experts we are, and trust us to be part of the group to take the company to the next level.

A company built on renewals and relationships should value the institutional knowledge and relationships built through the years. You behave as if we're all interchangeable cogs, and you're wrong. You still have a chance to turn this around--please listen to the real voice of employees and not the version filtered up and fix things. Then, and only then, can you claim to be doing something incredible.

"Healthcare is on Life Support"

Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Cary, NC

I worked at Dude Solutions full-time

Pros

The benefits are actually pretty good, not stellar but good. The location is nice - next to the Koko Booth Amphitheater and lake. The product (TheWorxHub) is decent for the market, which really isn't saying all that much. Could be an okay job right out of school. I am trying to say positive things...

Cons

The "Dude" is not competent to complete let alone dominate in the healthcare market. No one on this vertical has the resources needed to be successful - sales, marketing, support, development are all running on fumes. Management hires sales people without an analysis of the market, this leads to sales representatives being mislead and lied to during the hiring process. We do not have the ability to properly support customers, support has a skeleton crew and they are pulling in people from other departments to cover support shifts. I have heard some sales representative lie to customers not only about product functionality but services we were able to provide. Management has chosen to ignore this. Most everyone is frustrated on the team, leadership is either oblivious or does not care. There is no transparency or integrity, everyone is on edge and looking over their shoulder. Experienced sales professionals need to be very cautious. I cannot recommend this organization, especially the healthcare vertical. There is extreme favoritism and nepotism, the only sales people that have been promoted from the inside all share the same last name as the CRO. After a few month in, after looking at the historic performance of sales representative, I brought concerns about hitting my quota to my manager. To put me at ease I was told that that they only forecasted me to hit 30% (which was still 3x higher than the average first year rep), problem is my earnings were based on 100% of quota attainment. I was told it would really take 2.5 to 3 years to be able to hit my target, of course while interviewing I was told this would be 6 months. Management becomes hypersensitive when any recommendations or constructive criticism is levied. The were incapable of providing any feedback or help with professional development. There is a reason this vertical has been a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring sales people thinking that more bodies are going to magically equate to more sales. Stop lying to potential employees and set realistic expectation or the door will keep spinning. Invest in strategic partnerships and trade associations. Communicate better with the team and across functions. Build the team for the business you have not then business you want. Yes, this will take some effort and a bit of business acumen, but for crying out loud stand up a lead.

My recommendation to build the team is as follows:
    - 3-4 Reps covering different regions
    - 2 BDRs (focus on outliers and marketing campaigns.)
    - Increase Marketing with more strategic activities events and association partnerships.
    - Create strategic alliances with facilities management companies (JLL, Crothall, Aramark,etc)
    - Allocate more resources to development
    - Create well thought out account based sales and marketing strategies (you only have so many hospitals and buying points, be smarter)

... or completely ignore this, like you always have. Your strategy of lying to employees and customers, have 20 representatives making 50 calls a day, and hold the occasional webcast has really been moving the needle...

"Not all bad..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at Dude Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Start with the good: Exceptional coworkers and managers who are doing the best they can with some very mediocre products. Laid back culture with all the usual hipster-ish perks of a software company (no dress code, beer, ping pong). Solid benefits and a super HR team. A company with a heart and soul who try decently to improve morale.

Cons

Feels like management is in a state of disarray due to a very high turnover rate the past 6 months. Long timers who have been with the company for years are moving on to greener pastures. They only focus on two things, sales and support. Those two divisions make up nearly the entire company. Agile suite is small and nearly nonexistent with only minor effort to improve product features. I have to almost daily apologize to clients who purchase the incapable product that a sales bro sold them with expectations beyond its capability. In other words, the sales team which is made up of frat bros sells clients a solution that typically isn't the right fit and then complain to their managers when a client is dissatisfied.
    Not much backfilling of empty positions besides support or sales which amps up the stress factor for the rest.

Advice to Management

Cut the "doing something incredible" mantra. Your employees know it's a load of bovine excrement. Stop the bleeding of tenured employees who just can't put up with mediocre solutions. Enough pizza parties for sales and invest in a robust agile suite to improve your products.

"Client Services Department Continues on Downward Trend"

Current Employee - Client Services in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Client Services in Cary, NC

I have been working at Dude Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of working with, the clients we serve with are amazing as well! There is flexibility with vacations and sick leave and a casual dress code.

Cons

It is depressing how much this company has changed for the worst in the client services department over course of the last year or so. This used to be a company that seemed to really value its employees and provided frequent team building events, lunches, professional development opportunities, and an all around fantastic culture. Raises continue to be delayed and there seems to be no room for growth aside from lateral moves. Work from home was taken away without any clear explanation and an actual policy that was promised has yet to be re-introduced. People are leaving at a rapid rate for jobs that pay significantly more. Some remaining employees have been fired for unclear reasons with very few positions being back filled, this is causing the remaining employees to have a much greater workload with absolutely no incentives. There is no clear vision for the company and people who once were the company's biggest cheerleaders are feeling undervalued and uninspired.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words; we keep hearing that great things are coming but have yet to see any type of action behind this. Clients see so much value in the legendary service they receive from support and implementation but the Dude has stopped taking care of its employees. Raises, work from home, professional development opportunities/conferences, beer Fridays, good smelling hand soaps...anything would go a long way at a time when morale is at an all time low. Improve transparency and stop firing people when there are already others quitting on a weekly basis.

"Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at Dude Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your coworkers are great to work with here and management is readily available. Most of management has been in the industry for 10+ years and provide you with a wealth of knowledge. The company as a whole has the best interest of the clients at heart and that genuine care is reflected back in the way they treat their employees as well.

Cons

The open concept work environment can be difficult to adjust to but once people adjust they usually find it preferable to being in a stiff corporate environment.

Advice to Management

I think management is moving in the right direction and if we stay on course employees will continue to have opportunities to move up and around the company in the way we have been the past 5 years.