Duff & Phelps Reviews | Glassdoor

Duff & Phelps Chairman, President, and CEO Noah Gottdiener
Noah Gottdiener

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low work life balance, very high demanding environment (in 17 reviews)

• long hours for such a small compensation (in 30 reviews)

1. "Not a professional culture"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're interested in creative finance and valuation models and deep diving into Blooomberg for information, this isn't a bad place

Cons

Other reviews have characterized Duff as a sweatshop, and they are spot on.
    Pay is not competitive with the market, something the firm fails to acknowledge
    Long hours are expected, but many could have been avoided with competent leadership that can clearly articulate strategy, agenda, and deadlines rather than running the shop reactively as the status quo
    Peers don't act professionally. Everyone seems keen to interrupt what you're working on because they see their project as a higher priority.

Advice to Management

Work more closely with other teams rather than in fiefdoms
    Take a more strategic approach to developing employees instead of just grinding them out. Your turnover rates aren't good for your efficiency
    If the CEO can multitask with a phone call in the restroom, he can also take the time to wash his hands – embarrassing

2. "VP"

Pros

Is a middle market business

Cons

High turnover. Below market compensation. Does not value its talent

"Unstable"

I worked at Duff & Phelps full-time

Pros

Nice benefits & people, nice offices

Cons

Old school, flimsy training, unstable job stability

Advice to Management

Not worth my time

"Corporate Finance / Investment Banking"

Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst/Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Investment Banking Analyst/Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Access to senior people, collegiate culture, nice and smart people, firm is growing in certain divisions

Cons

Terrible work / life balance, staffing is a toxic culture, sweat shop, terrible brand name and no respect in the industry, little to no deal flow for CF so constantly pitching, terrible deal mix

Advice to Management

listen to junior people feedback, and understand place in industry to make real improvements

5. "Enjoyed time, not into valuation"

Former Employee - Valuation Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Valuation Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

Working at Duff and Phelps was great for me to learn the basics of valuation and how professionals in the field are approaching pricing complex and nontraditional assets.

Cons

I particularly hate the valuation field and I would much rather be doing something involving using the actual purpose of valuation, i.e. investment banking or other investment services but I can't blame them for that

Advice to Management

Move into different areas in the field and expand basic offerings beyond what's already extended to clients. The firm is obviously strong at the current level but I would love to see some growth

"Management was unwilling to intervene in hostile work situations"

Former Contractor - Property Tax Specialist in Addison, TX
    Former Contractor - Property Tax Specialist in Addison, TX

I worked at Duff & Phelps as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, decent technology to work with, lots of cool people to work with and nice break rooms.

Cons

Long hours, low wages, management was unwilling to do their job and did not keep agreements made with temporary workers

Advice to Management

Treat your lowest tier employees like they matter to you and you will have better retention rates

"If you care about your career, don't work here. If simply need any job you can get, well then go for it."

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good people working at Duff...that's pretty much it.

Cons

Insufficient training
    Uncaring leadership
    Random rounds of layoffs
    Lots of in fighting
    Lots of favoritism
    Under development of junior staff
    Terrible bonuses
    Average base pay
    Zero work-life balance
    Performance management process is a joke.
    No modeling for juniors until 2+ years at the firm.
    Formatting things until your hands begin to cramp.
    People stealing credit for your work.
    Cliques are everywhere.
    You cannot trust anyone because almost everyone gossips.

Advice to Management

Pay should equal effort. Stop lowballing employees.

Encourage senior staff to be more engaging with junior staff.

Stop trying to motivate employees thru promises of good bonuses. The bonuses never live up to the hype.

"Never again."

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst

I worked at Duff & Phelps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The admins were cool. All very down to earth.

Cons

- The culture was in my opinion, very pretentious (which is surprising because well... its D&P).
    - Expect a bonus that is only 10-20% of what your peers would be getting at top MM firms and bulges... if they screw you more beyond that, it may be close to 5% of what others are receiving.
    - No structure. The training in the boonies of Illinois was a JOKE. I learned nothing sitting with my peers in the Tax, Valuation, Dispute Consulting, Transfer Pricing... etc. How do they expect to properly train employees in the IB practice when we have 2 weeks to learn about D&P's laundry list of other practices...
    - You have to study for the series on your own WHILE WORKING 100+ hour weeks. That's right. D&P offers ZERO training or separate time for you to prep for your series exam so expect to be cramming/extremely tired your first 3 months on the job studying and working simultaneously. You have to take both the series 79 and 63 and after a few more months... the series 7 as well.
    - If you want to work on M&A, this is not the right firm. If you want to scrub comps, work on Salesforce (looking up contact information and data entry) and pitch all day and all night, this will be the right firm for you.
    - Aside from training being unstructured, the analyst program itself is unstructured, as well as, the firm. Because the firm is trying to compete with bigger banks, a lot of investment is going into building an FSG practice. What does that mean for analysts? SALESFORCE ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT. Expect to become an expert at looking up addresses, phone numbers, websites, port cos, etc. It will make you question why you went to a university in the first place.
    - Have you ever heard about a bank that offers $25 of dinner meal reimbursements but yells at you for eating $20-25 meals? I didn't until I worked at D&P. I can't count how many times MDs have pulled me into their office because my meals were "too expensive." Maybe they should reconsider working me to the ground before complaining to me about my dinner expenses.
    - If you want to work yourself to the ground, while not getting paid appropriately for the hours and having to be cognizant about your dinner expenses at chipotle AND have no exit opps when you try to leave, by all means-- this may be the place for you!

Advice to Management

If you want to compete with bigger banks, I suggest you start paying employees like they work at bigger banks and giving them similar perks.

9. "Decent work/life balance"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent work /life balance here

Cons

company is poorly run - too much fighting amongst groups over who gets the revenue versus actually maximizing revenue for the firm

"I wouldn't recommend"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Duff & Phelps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good opportunities to learn, get thrown in on lots of projects, big name clients

Cons

incredibly long hours and weekend work and very little pay relative to hours worked, zero ability to control or predict your schedule, the company expects you to have your computer when you take vacation, the rating system is on a curve aka even if more people are great, they can't get assigned the higher rating and they have to have some assigned as the lowest rating, incredibly low bonuses, no loyalty to employees, people are incredibly intense and can only talk about work, culture is intense, stiff, and people aren't friends