Dufresne Spencer Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Jim Spencer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"great company -- but needs work just like all companies"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very driven, very giving with their successes, great benefits, great pay, great morals, great culture, beautiful locations,

Cons

too many chiefs and not enough Indians, DSG is a great company but if Arnie dosent like you, you are done period. Yes Arnie has brought many things to the company but he thinks he may know it all. Yes he knows alot and is a very intelligent man but hes WAY to cocky... the inner Italian in him. I think his time has came and totally gone with DSG. DSG has used him as much as he was needed. Now he is more focused on the look and the " im the chief officer" title now. He does not love his employees equally he only "likes" the top producers which is understandable they make his check bigger but lets check one thing.... maybe if he loved his other employees just as much as the other they may preform better for him. He trys very hard to love each one equally but some i bet he dosent even know where where they are from. Ive seen him 1 time in the store in the store i operated. He never gives a good shout out, like a good job its always demanding and brain washing. He will read things like this review get up on stage or send a pity voxer apologizing and saying he will change but never had a seen a change what so ever. Its time for a reality check. Chad however is very loving and busy person. I think he is one of the most genuine people i have ever met. very great at speaking and getting what you need. His Dad Jim is a very nice man, Until your margin is lacking and you get that weekly phone call. The only time i had a issue with Jim is when he threated to fire me if i didnt move my margin, I dont take lightly to threats and dont think it is the way to lead.

Advice to Management

really live up to your mission statement, especially the blessing your employees part, yes pay is great and vacation time and benefits, but thats all financial get into the family part, who is your employees really, what troubles are they having, be honest and dont take your employees money when i mistake is made, and pay them their last pay check. DSG moved me all over at their expense which i appreciate, but i have a family and DSG didnt pay me my last check. I called JIM the owner and told him it wasnt right, his response is well i dont know if its right or not reach out to marva, to which as to this day not called me back. Just because of this last check not being paid out i and my family is being evicted from our home. forced to live with family until we can get a place. I would more than appreciate a call from Chad. I am not mad, Just very disappointed after so many years of service and being termed for the stupidest reason, after i had no choice to do what i had to do. Its like i was coned into it almost just to get termed after 10 years with NO write ups what so ever. But this really is a great company and has alot going for them. love each and everyone dearly some people just need a little work and to remember your roots. i believe you can really drill this review down and figure out who this is if your would like to reach out....... just check marvas voicemails that havent been returned. ....

"Worst place to work, downright thieves and LIARS"

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Only the people I work with.

Cons

To sum it up would take pages. But they have done nothing but take away from employees since taking control of Ashley Furniture. No Christmas holiday for last two years because it fell on the weekend. And if you happen to have Mondays off you never get Memorial nor Labor day either. Pay that is. Not only that but promised raises and EARNED VACATION TIME has been removed until March 2018, no explanation. Do NOT CALL YOURSELVES CHRISTIAN! You make it a dirty word. You are getting a 14% decrease in corporate taxes and I have to pay more!

Advice to Management

Take a very long look in the mirror because you are like the slave owning pharoahs and don't care if you break the backs of your best people. But you wouldn't understand because you don't know the meaning of the BIBLE! You constantly want more and more and never give a pat on the back NOTHING! Maybe you would figure out why everyone walked out last week.

"Extremely disappointed and sad"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time

Pros

The only pros I can give this company is that I met some amazing people while I was employed here.

Cons

There’s so many.... The company states that “Life Moments Matter” but they only mean that for themselves. You don’t get to go to important life events because they have a after hours prospecting event every other Sunday. They have MIDNIGHT MADNESS on Friday’s and keep you there until midnight sitting around twiddling your thumbs. They also have something called “order wrongs” where if you make a mistake on an order instead of coaching you to not make that mistake again they take $100 out of your paycheck whether or not you would have even made that much money on the sale in the first place. Sometimes you even were charged $100 for something customer service did or because the way their exchanges work, they put it in the system as an order wrong and charge you $100 because the guest didn’t like what they picked out. They only like the people who are 100% bought in to their lies. I once had a corporate trainer tell me that if I had to discount one guests delivery charge that I need to charge the next guest MORE to compensate for that! Their mission state is: “To achieve excellence as we provide products and services in a way that honors GOD and blesses our guests and employees”. HOW DOES CHARGING ONE GUEST MORE BECAUSE ANOTHER GUEST RECEIVED A DISCOUNT BLESSING THEM??? They also have the sales people do the job of customer service. The phone now rings on the floor and you get yelled at by management for not answering it. There’s so much more I could go into, but at this point if you still think working there is a good decision then you’ll find out the rest shortly.

Advice to Management

Please look yourselves in the mirror in the mornings and ask yourselves are you honestly a godly company? Ask yourselves if this was happening to me how would I feel? I’d also consider taking away cleanliness and adding the core value of HONESTY. You’ve lost some AMAZING salespeople because you guys don’t really care.

Have a blessed day.

"Tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Secure steady work lots of overtime ; 4 of 5 days weekly. Get your sleep.

Cons

No growth future seen possible, no matter how qualified.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the individuals that work, if you like their work, let them know.

Sep 26, 2017 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are disappointed to hear that you feel there is no "growth future" with our company as this is certainly something we have worked hard to build... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zero, absolutely the worst, they will uck you

Cons

I've worked for some unethical people, this company is by far the worst. When you leave, and you should, your supposed to get paid on your open sales for 45 days. Here's the reality, you won't, they hide behind this "mission statement" that they are in business to honor and serve their customers in a way that blesses God. I worked my tail off for this pathetic organization, found a better job, and once your "off the books", they don't pay you for what you've earned. I'm going to do all within my soul to tell everyone how terrible it is to work and or buy from them. Perhaps it sounds like sour grapes, but I sol 2 mil in 2 years for them, couldn't take their micromanaging any longer, and found a better situation.

Advice to Management

Sell the company

Sep 26, 2017 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience and we are very concerned to hear you feel we may have failed to pay you appropriately upon your departure. Although our systems are programmed to calculate and... More

"Bullies, Money Hungry, Selfish"

Former Employee - RSA
    Former Employee - RSA

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Making friends there was great! Who knew that "friendship" consisted of people constantly talking bad about people and starting rumors as if they were in high school again! Let's not forget how sweet it was of them to say they were there for each other, only to turn everyone against someone! Oh, and the management was PERFECT. Have you ever looked through a microscope? You stare everything down, study what's under there, and look for anything and everything you can find? That's what the management does! They micromanage you until you become numb to their words/harassment. Let's not forget about how they treated you when you sold! You could sell a million dollars and they would still make it a point to say how awful you were and how it wasn't good enough! It was lovely! This is an amazing job if you have no emotion and enjoy being talked down to like a child every day :)

Cons

What isn't wrong with this company? That is the real question. From the petty small talk, to the micromanaging, working there was absolutely mentally and physically draining. Depression, anxiety, and self-doubt was apart of the daily emotions walking into that place.

Advice to Management

You all say that you are Godly and about Jesus, so here's a suggestion! Go to church, and ask for forgiveness for all of the awful things you have said and done to people.

Sep 26, 2017 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience. Although we never intend for our people to feel the way you've described, we are unable to provide a solution or learn from your experience without further... More

"Lacks Christian Values and professional integrity"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time

Pros

The work hours were decent

Cons

Lacks integrity with employees and the community

Advice to Management

Don't proclaim CHRISTIAN VALUES unless your business model and management upholds your values

"Don't fall for it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time

Pros

Coworkers are kind and fun to work with.

Cons

Long shifts, holidays open to close, every weekend will be sacrificed. You are promised that there is a $11/hour draw; however, you wont get this. They claim to be christians and that the guest is the most important thing, but will be quick to say 'buyers are liars.' They also expect you to pressure guests hat have started the underwriting of a mortgage into applying for financing- this can risk the guest's home buying process. There is little to no hands on training- you will be thrown to the wolves.

"RSA"

Current Employee - RSA
    Current Employee - RSA

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Quality products.

Cons

Management will tell you this is a Christian organization and that taking care of the guest is the most important thing we do until they complain about delivery delays or items damaged in delivery and then management is quick to say "buyers are liars."

Advice to Management

I wouldn't waste my time giving them advice.

10. "I have been a sales associate and shift manager for 2 years."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very competitive and there is unlimited earning potential.

Cons

Working every weekend and holiday and losing your off days multiple times a month.

Advice to Management

Go to the stores and do some real research for marketing and management purposes.