Dufresne Spencer Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Jim Spencer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Senior Sales Associate- Nashville Market"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time

Pros

Upward mobility in the company. The Founder, CEO and Chief Sales Officer spent a week in our market training us! They could have sent a training team but they care about the success of their team and it showed. 3 salespeople to one Executive coaching and inspiring every sales employee on business planning and how we can increase our commissions. I can already tell after the busy Presidents Day weekend that putting the knowledge I learned not only helped me with my personal sales goals but made for a happier guest experience.

Cons

Weekend and holiday hours, but you can’t really consider that a Con because that IS when I write a large percentage of my sales.

Advice to Management

Share the Business Planning training with the rest of the market as soon as possible. A hotline where the salespeople could ask follow up questions on what was taught and help for areas we are still struggling with. Communicate with the field. Friendly competition.

"Decent Money"

Current Employee - SSA in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - SSA in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make decent money with this company. You will have to grind it out and deal with the ridiculous logistics but money can be made.

Cons

To the “corporate staff” blogger. Stay in your lane! the reason you don’t understand is because you are part of the, “corporate staff”. You have no idea what an average salesperson goes through at this company. You don’t know how many people are praying the warehouse doesn’t screw up a delivery, just so they can pay all of their bills. Y’all are too detached from reality to realize it. Has nothing to do with not being bought in, if your going to spend the majority of your life at a job, you should be properly trained,compensated, and treated fairly. This company struggles with all three of those areas.If you write a million a year or close to it, the money is decent but, if you are middle of the road you might as well find another gig, the stress is not worth it. Especially since you will never enjoy a weekend or a holiday off unless you are part of, the “corporate staff”

Advice to Management

If you want to cut the high turnover in half, invest in better training for new salespeople. Stop sitting them in front of those 10 year old videos that are completely outdated ( they are the equivalent of water boarding). Stop leaving it up to the sales managers who have a million and one things to do, and don’t leave it up to others salespeople, who technically don’t get paid to do anything other than sale. If sales people are getting paid for different tasks other than selling then there would be no such thing as the draw.

3. "Corporate Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love this place!! To all the negative bloggers - you typically receive what you invest. If you aren't ALL IN or have the RIGHT MIND-SET DSG won't be a good fit for you! It's probably best you find a place that accepts half-hearted performance and attitude.

Cons

I can't even think of any negative because I'm so appalled at the junk others post.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the basics every day!

"I wouldn't work here if you value your sanity."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some great people and cultivated great relationships with my coworkers. The sales experience was also great for networking.

Cons

DSG bought out the company I worked for. It was a rough transition - a lot of people lost their jobs, and the rest of us were adjusting to the new employers. The work/life balance was awful. I was part-time, and even though I usually met and exceeded my goals (and one month was the TOP seller in the entire store), they didn't value part-timers (or full-timers, or anyone, for that matter). They expect everyone to put in crazy hours (one year on Thanksgiving/Black Friday, I worked 17.5 hours straight). They did a lot of illegal things, including charging employees for wrong orders. They don't train people properly, and they're quick to get rid of managers. From 2012-2016, my store had cycled through 6 managers. Overall, it was a toxic and stressful environment (EVEN for a part-timer), and I'm glad I left.

Advice to Management

Focus on training staff properly. Consider work/life balance a priority to reduce burn out and do some research on the relationship between productivity and number of hours spent working. Get rid of Arnie.

"So much potential, so much inefficiency, logistical nightmare"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At one time, we had a great team of professional people working together in-store. Now they are all not-so-slowly leaving. Now it's becoming a rag-tag group of whoever needs a job, forced into a team environment.

Cons

Lacks work-life balance, company breaks promises to guests and employees,
    falsifies KPI's like conversion rate and delivery that affect employee pay, does not provide adequate training, no chain of accountability to address issues, does not invest in tools to streamline processes, eliminate errors or redundancies or make processes more efficient...computers are 15 years old or more.

Advice to Management

Invest in a outside consulting firm to improve business processes, logistics and sales employee training and interface. Offer more support to sales team, update computers and computer systems, empower sales team with tools to fix problems created by poor delivery and logistics (especially since they lose commissions due to them), stop encouraging management to falsify conversion numbers (hurting employees) and delivery percentages, take SOME risk on your employees. Provide better training management to build teams and motivate sales, eliminate unnecessary processes from your salespeople tasks. Provide better support and training to encourage new sales people to build a career with the company. Do more to show employee appreciation and eliminate the cut-through management style. It's oppressive and out dated. Decrease redundancies and put chains of accountability in place to keep promises to your guests and employees. Do more to make HR a resource for employees and to keep HR processes compliant and confidential. Make HR hotline an actual HOTLINE, not an email address. Update the company Intranet to be less cluttered, updated and useful for employees as a resource. Rewrite and update the mission statement and rework the company culture to be consistent with the company's future, the "family and Christian" thing worked when you were a smaller company, but it is now incongruent with your store culture and the gulf is apparent to your employees and decreases morale.

"Saled"

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time

Pros

Zero pros, life moments is a cover

Cons

This company is the pits

Advice to Management

Sell

"Worst place to work, downright thieves and LIARS"

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Only the people I work with.

Cons

To sum it up would take pages. But they have done nothing but take away from employees since taking control of Ashley Furniture. No Christmas holiday for last two years because it fell on the weekend. And if you happen to have Mondays off you never get Memorial nor Labor day either. Pay that is. Not only that but promised raises and EARNED VACATION TIME has been removed until March 2018, no explanation. Do NOT CALL YOURSELVES CHRISTIAN! You make it a dirty word. You are getting a 14% decrease in corporate taxes and I have to pay more!

Advice to Management

Take a very long look in the mirror because you are like the slave owning pharoahs and don't care if you break the backs of your best people. But you wouldn't understand because you don't know the meaning of the BIBLE! You constantly want more and more and never give a pat on the back NOTHING! Maybe you would figure out why everyone walked out last week.

"great company -- but needs work just like all companies"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very driven, very giving with their successes, great benefits, great pay, great morals, great culture, beautiful locations,

Cons

too many chiefs and not enough Indians, DSG is a great company but if Arnie dosent like you, you are done period. Yes Arnie has brought many things to the company but he thinks he may know it all. Yes he knows alot and is a very intelligent man but hes WAY to cocky... the inner Italian in him. I think his time has came and totally gone with DSG. DSG has used him as much as he was needed. Now he is more focused on the look and the " im the chief officer" title now. He does not love his employees equally he only "likes" the top producers which is understandable they make his check bigger but lets check one thing.... maybe if he loved his other employees just as much as the other they may preform better for him. He trys very hard to love each one equally but some i bet he dosent even know where where they are from. Ive seen him 1 time in the store in the store i operated. He never gives a good shout out, like a good job its always demanding and brain washing. He will read things like this review get up on stage or send a pity voxer apologizing and saying he will change but never had a seen a change what so ever. Its time for a reality check. Chad however is very loving and busy person. I think he is one of the most genuine people i have ever met. very great at speaking and getting what you need. His Dad Jim is a very nice man, Until your margin is lacking and you get that weekly phone call. The only time i had a issue with Jim is when he threated to fire me if i didnt move my margin, I dont take lightly to threats and dont think it is the way to lead.

Advice to Management

really live up to your mission statement, especially the blessing your employees part, yes pay is great and vacation time and benefits, but thats all financial get into the family part, who is your employees really, what troubles are they having, be honest and dont take your employees money when i mistake is made, and pay them their last pay check. DSG moved me all over at their expense which i appreciate, but i have a family and DSG didnt pay me my last check. I called JIM the owner and told him it wasnt right, his response is well i dont know if its right or not reach out to marva, to which as to this day not called me back. Just because of this last check not being paid out i and my family is being evicted from our home. forced to live with family until we can get a place. I would more than appreciate a call from Chad. I am not mad, Just very disappointed after so many years of service and being termed for the stupidest reason, after i had no choice to do what i had to do. Its like i was coned into it almost just to get termed after 10 years with NO write ups what so ever. But this really is a great company and has alot going for them. love each and everyone dearly some people just need a little work and to remember your roots. i believe you can really drill this review down and figure out who this is if your would like to reach out....... just check marvas voicemails that havent been returned. ....

"Extremely disappointed and sad"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time

Pros

The only pros I can give this company is that I met some amazing people while I was employed here.

Cons

There’s so many.... The company states that “Life Moments Matter” but they only mean that for themselves. You don’t get to go to important life events because they have a after hours prospecting event every other Sunday. They have MIDNIGHT MADNESS on Friday’s and keep you there until midnight sitting around twiddling your thumbs. They also have something called “order wrongs” where if you make a mistake on an order instead of coaching you to not make that mistake again they take $100 out of your paycheck whether or not you would have even made that much money on the sale in the first place. Sometimes you even were charged $100 for something customer service did or because the way their exchanges work, they put it in the system as an order wrong and charge you $100 because the guest didn’t like what they picked out. They only like the people who are 100% bought in to their lies. I once had a corporate trainer tell me that if I had to discount one guests delivery charge that I need to charge the next guest MORE to compensate for that! Their mission state is: “To achieve excellence as we provide products and services in a way that honors GOD and blesses our guests and employees”. HOW DOES CHARGING ONE GUEST MORE BECAUSE ANOTHER GUEST RECEIVED A DISCOUNT BLESSING THEM??? They also have the sales people do the job of customer service. The phone now rings on the floor and you get yelled at by management for not answering it. There’s so much more I could go into, but at this point if you still think working there is a good decision then you’ll find out the rest shortly.

Advice to Management

Please look yourselves in the mirror in the mornings and ask yourselves are you honestly a godly company? Ask yourselves if this was happening to me how would I feel? I’d also consider taking away cleanliness and adding the core value of HONESTY. You’ve lost some AMAZING salespeople because you guys don’t really care.

Have a blessed day.

"Tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Secure steady work lots of overtime ; 4 of 5 days weekly. Get your sleep.

Cons

No growth future seen possible, no matter how qualified.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the individuals that work, if you like their work, let them know.

Dufresne Spencer Group Response

Sep 26, 2017 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are disappointed to hear that you feel there is no "growth future" with our company as this is certainly something we have worked hard to build... More