Dufresne Spencer Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Jim Spencer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"great company -- but needs work just like all companies"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very driven, very giving with their successes, great benefits, great pay, great morals, great culture, beautiful locations,

Cons

too many chiefs and not enough Indians, DSG is a great company but if Arnie dosent like you, you are done period. Yes Arnie has brought many things to the company but he thinks he may know it all. Yes he knows alot and is a very intelligent man but hes WAY to cocky... the inner Italian in him. I think his time has came and totally gone with DSG. DSG has used him as much as he was needed. Now he is more focused on the look and the " im the chief officer" title now. He does not love his employees equally he only "likes" the top producers which is understandable they make his check bigger but lets check one thing.... maybe if he loved his other employees just as much as the other they may preform better for him. He trys very hard to love each one equally but some i bet he dosent even know where where they are from. Ive seen him 1 time in the store in the store i operated. He never gives a good shout out, like a good job its always demanding and brain washing. He will read things like this review get up on stage or send a pity voxer apologizing and saying he will change but never had a seen a change what so ever. Its time for a reality check. Chad however is very loving and busy person. I think he is one of the most genuine people i have ever met. very great at speaking and getting what you need. His Dad Jim is a very nice man, Until your margin is lacking and you get that weekly phone call. The only time i had a issue with Jim is when he threated to fire me if i didnt move my margin, I dont take lightly to threats and dont think it is the way to lead.

Advice to Management

really live up to your mission statement, especially the blessing your employees part, yes pay is great and vacation time and benefits, but thats all financial get into the family part, who is your employees really, what troubles are they having, be honest and dont take your employees money when i mistake is made, and pay them their last pay check. DSG moved me all over at their expense which i appreciate, but i have a family and DSG didnt pay me my last check. I called JIM the owner and told him it wasnt right, his response is well i dont know if its right or not reach out to marva, to which as to this day not called me back. Just because of this last check not being paid out i and my family is being evicted from our home. forced to live with family until we can get a place. I would more than appreciate a call from Chad. I am not mad, Just very disappointed after so many years of service and being termed for the stupidest reason, after i had no choice to do what i had to do. Its like i was coned into it almost just to get termed after 10 years with NO write ups what so ever. But this really is a great company and has alot going for them. love each and everyone dearly some people just need a little work and to remember your roots. i believe you can really drill this review down and figure out who this is if your would like to reach out....... just check marvas voicemails that havent been returned. ....

2. "Toxic Culture! Extremely High Turn OVER!"

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its hard to think of a Stand-Out PRO of working here, They do offer health insurance, dental and have a shady employee purchase program!

Cons

EXTREMELY toxic company to work for! Each department is working against the other department so nobody wins! They have more negative customer reviews because of their extremely high turnover! The EMT team likes to put on a show about being a Christian company but please do your research on Ashley Homestore, DSG and Stash before you apply or accept a job. This is a negative star company that is a hazard to your health, extremely high stress job and you can't believe anything they say. They do not value their people and sadly losing a lot of old timers to the competition!

Advice to Management

Your might be beating your budgets, but you are losing your people & your customers because your actions speak louder than words! If your company is as great as you think why do you have a 2.2 rating on here! Really pay attention these reviews don't lie!

"Tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Secure steady work lots of overtime ; 4 of 5 days weekly. Get your sleep.

Cons

No growth future seen possible, no matter how qualified.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the individuals that work, if you like their work, let them know.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Edwardsville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Edwardsville, IL

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zero, absolutely the worst, they will uck you

Cons

I've worked for some unethical people, this company is by far the worst. When you leave, and you should, your supposed to get paid on your open sales for 45 days. Here's the reality, you won't, they hide behind this "mission statement" that they are in business to honor and serve their customers in a way that blesses God. I worked my tail off for this pathetic organization, found a better job, and once your "off the books", they don't pay you for what you've earned. I'm going to do all within my soul to tell everyone how terrible it is to work and or buy from them. Perhaps it sounds like sour grapes, but I sol 2 mil in 2 years for them, couldn't take their micromanaging any longer, and found a better situation.

Advice to Management

Sell the company

"Bullies, Money Hungry, Selfish"

Former Employee - RSA
    Former Employee - RSA

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Making friends there was great! Who knew that "friendship" consisted of people constantly talking bad about people and starting rumors as if they were in high school again! Let's not forget how sweet it was of them to say they were there for each other, only to turn everyone against someone! Oh, and the management was PERFECT. Have you ever looked through a microscope? You stare everything down, study what's under there, and look for anything and everything you can find? That's what the management does! They micromanage you until you become numb to their words/harassment. Let's not forget about how they treated you when you sold! You could sell a million dollars and they would still make it a point to say how awful you were and how it wasn't good enough! It was lovely! This is an amazing job if you have no emotion and enjoy being talked down to like a child every day :)

Cons

What isn't wrong with this company? That is the real question. From the petty small talk, to the micromanaging, working there was absolutely mentally and physically draining. Depression, anxiety, and self-doubt was apart of the daily emotions walking into that place.

Advice to Management

You all say that you are Godly and about Jesus, so here's a suggestion! Go to church, and ask for forgiveness for all of the awful things you have said and done to people.

"Lacks Christian Values and professional integrity"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time

Pros

The work hours were decent

Cons

Lacks integrity with employees and the community

Advice to Management

Don't proclaim CHRISTIAN VALUES unless your business model and management upholds your values

"Don't fall for it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time

Pros

Coworkers are kind and fun to work with.

Cons

Long shifts, holidays open to close, every weekend will be sacrificed. You are promised that there is a $11/hour draw; however, you wont get this. They claim to be christians and that the guest is the most important thing, but will be quick to say 'buyers are liars.' They also expect you to pressure guests hat have started the underwriting of a mortgage into applying for financing- this can risk the guest's home buying process. There is little to no hands on training- you will be thrown to the wolves.

"RSA"

Current Employee - RSA
    Current Employee - RSA

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Quality products.

Cons

Management will tell you this is a Christian organization and that taking care of the guest is the most important thing we do until they complain about delivery delays or items damaged in delivery and then management is quick to say "buyers are liars."

Advice to Management

I wouldn't waste my time giving them advice.

9. "I have been a sales associate and shift manager for 2 years."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very competitive and there is unlimited earning potential.

Cons

Working every weekend and holiday and losing your off days multiple times a month.

Advice to Management

Go to the stores and do some real research for marketing and management purposes.

"Great job for first-time sellers and Kool Aid drinkers"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Dufresne Spencer Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think upper management is very smart.
    The Ashley Furniture product is easy to sell.
    The extreme micro-management is probably good for kids and first-time salespeople.
    On paper, the company has good "Christian" values.
    You CAN make good money with this company in sales, IF you can tolerate the cult mentality.

Cons

Incredible amount of micro-management. You wear head-sets where managers bark orders and embarrass you in front of co-workers.
    Some managers use fear and embarrassment as motivators. Those tactics are proven to last VERY short-term. After a few weeks, it grows tiresome to where you will hate the place if you are reasonably intelligent and experienced.

A small purchase (lamp or pillow) takes 10-15 minutes to complete due to paperwork and computer-entry. It's frustrating to staff AND customers. You end up having to apologize to the guest.

A "cult-like" management style exists where they ask for complete and total buy-in from the staff. Those who have worked elsewhere will easily see through this garbage.

Lots of housekeeping duties for sales staff (light janitorial and cleaning duties). No biggie...but it should probably be disclosed prior to hire.

Advice to Management

The reality is not everyone is going to prosper in sales with this organization. You'll attract and KEEP good sales talent if you stop micro-managing. No sense in making everyone miserable. The sellers who don't make the cut can find jobs more suited to their talents and the successful sellers will be more likely to "buy in" if you don't treat them like children.