Duke Clinical Research Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Duke Clinical Research Institute Interim Executive Director Lesley Curtis, PhD
Lesley Curtis, PhD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "9 to 5 job with great work life balance" (in 24 reviews)

• "great benefits, great working environment" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "You must ride the bus or pay for parking" (in 6 reviews)

• "They try to say that there is great work life balance, but that is not the case" (in 5 reviews)

1. "It's all about the mission!"

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

I work with super intelligent, dedicated individuals who are all about the mission of the DCRI. I have been here for several years and see the work that is being done to make this an even better place to work. I get involved and being a part of the Employee Brigade has been great. We not only help patients, but the community around us. I am able to take advantage of the child tuition program and am saving thousands of dollars!

Cons

We have to wait a year for our new building. NP is old and ready for an update. While I would like to make more money, there is no way I would go back to a corporate life.

Advice to Management

Keep focused and communicating.

Sep 6, 2017

We are delighted to hear about your positive experience at the DCRI. As you noted, in addition to developing and sharing our knowledge through our innovative research, our faculty who are practicing... More

2. "Postdoctoral Associate"

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

The salary was higher than expected. Colleagues were polite and nice.

Cons

My boss was not a very good communicator and that resulted in damaging my career.

3. "Not bad for someone new to research"

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule options, good benefits

Cons

Slow growth opportunity, management

Advice to Management

Allow those that want to grow to be successful especially when they have exceeded their current role expectations.

4. "Just sad"

Current Employee - Cta
    Current Employee - Cta

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Given a lot of independence and interesting research

Cons

The entire clinops department seems to be crumbling. Constantly understaffed and hiring people who have no idea what they’re doing which end up staying here longer than the knowledgeable employees. I’ve seen three studies started and destroyed by just utter incompetence and lack of interest within a year. Management is off in their own world and doesn’t back off their employees. Benefits are non existent to anyone entry level. If you want to feel completely unmotivated and useless then come collect your paycheck here.

Advice to Management

Actually talk and listen to the people who are doing a great job. You will lose all your good people and keep the cycle going if you don’t change. Also, support your staff. The battle of SM and PM is ridiculous.

"Ups and downs"

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

Interesting research, new policy which allows staff to work remotely, lots of training provided to staff which enables professional growth

Cons

Financial uncertainly about the organization. Slow to get rid of negative and mean staff. This month a mean girl supervisor finally left the organization after just over a year during which time she made the lives for many PLs miserable. Mostly the negative vibes and pessimism comes for old guard PLs and site management staff though,

Advice to Management

The spotlight seems to be on the financial uncertainty of the organization which is impacting the work and happiness of the staff.

May 1, 2018

As Senior Director of the Clinical Trials Domain, I would like to thank you for providing feedback on your experience—it is always welcome. I’m certainly pleased to hear that the research, remote... More

"Don’t waste your time"

Current Employee - Project Leader in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people help encourage each other and work together because we understand that we have to depend on each other because there is no upper management support.

Cons

Management. It’s amazing that this company has lasted this long. I’m convinced that it has only survived because it’s a Duke brand. The upper management in Clinical Operations, specifically the co-directors, alone are a joke. They only see numbers and not the drivers behind the numbers. Studies are extremely underbid then Project Leaders are expected to perform miracles. The site management teams are expected to do the same or they get talked to by the Project Leader that has a shoestring budget that upper management is fully aware of.

Upper management had this bright idea to build a new building in downtown Durham. Prior to this, quite a few groups were moved to the current downtown building. Then they plan to move some of the same folks that they just moved to the current downtown building to the new building then they send out a memo from the CEO basically stating that the budget is strained. It doesn’t take an accountant to figure that one out. Obviously no one thought about the budget before all of the shuffling of people began and if they did think about it they didn’t think about it too long and in detail. The whole move appears to be a cluster mess.

Advice to Management

Go back to a single leaner management structure and hire a Director that first has people skills. The current ones are going to run all of the remaining good employees away and cause you to get poor reviews on this and other sites like it. The current head of HR, Nicole, has done an excellent job over the past 3 years to change the environment at DCRI but when you all implemented this latest structure of government and commercial trials separately and lead by the current people you made a huge mistake. Find some real leadership (like Maureen Cunningham) because the current so called leaders have reverted back to an atmosphere of backbiting and total unprofessionalism. Take it for what it’s worth before you have more turn over.

May 1, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. It’s never easy to receive feedback of this nature, but as the co-directors of Clinical Operations, we want to assure you that we are not only... More

7. "One of the best employers in area"

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Good teams
    Management

Cons

Meeting obsessed! Too many pointless meetings

8. "Associate Director"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, innovative research, strong faculty alliances, great benefits

Cons

Little tolerance for home-based employees, finger-pointing culture, micro-managerial leadership, little targeted accountability, slow and antiquated processes

Advice to Management

Trust your employees; if you choose to hire seasoned professionals, use their expertise; provide necessary training to ensure success

9. "Clinical Trial Coordinator"

Former Employee - Clinical Trial Coordinator in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Trial Coordinator in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for career advancement.

Cons

Can be hard to navigate established routines

"DCRI"

Current Employee - Clinical Trials Coordinator II in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Trials Coordinator II in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, friendly co-workers, job security

Cons

low salaries (comparatively), slow career growth options

Advice to Management

advocate for higher compensation