Duke Clinical Research Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Duke Clinical Research Institute Interim Executive Director Lesley Curtis, PhD
Lesley Curtis, PhD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "9 to 5 job with great work life balance" (in 27 reviews)

• "great benefits, great working environment" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "You must ride the bus or pay for parking" (in 6 reviews)

• "Upper management had this bright idea to build a new building in downtown Durham" (in 7 reviews)

1. "GREAT place to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Assistant in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Assistant in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex time, great benefits, fair pay

Cons

A lot of turnover and recently facing lay offs.

Advice to Management

I respectfully decline to tell management how to do their job.

2. "Good to work if you are in"

Former Employee - Cta
    Former Employee - Cta

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible hours, plenty of training, people

Cons

Good work doesn't always turn into a promotion. More who you know.

3. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Research Assistant

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute part-time

Pros

Learned a lot of research techniques

Cons

somewhat disorganized at times, but overall a great experience

4. "Better Than What You're Seeing Written Here"

Current Employee - Project Leader in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to work at a place where there are bright minds working on the best models for conducting research, come here. An academic environment is different-not perfect; if you're a self-starter you'll have opportunities to gain exposure to ideas and learn from the leaders in the field, not just those who post to promote the business. The benefits are fantastic and I've personally had great opportunities and salary growth. You have some independence and can shape your own team if you're willing to put in the strategy and the sweat. Several years ago a structured personnel management plan and job assessment was put into place, and like all things time is needed to see results. In a period of transition now, and that accounts for some of the postings you're seeing. It's disappointing to see negative reviews at a time of transition; there is, however, clearly room for improvement in some areas. The interim CEO gives one hope...

Cons

I would say there are individuals who make doing your best work difficult, and there's been some needed winnowing of people at higher levels who failed to realize we need to run the place like a business to do the academic work. And conversely, there are also people with limited work experience in other places who think this is bad. I'd say rededicate yourself to making things better and give it a while.

Advice to Management

Look hard at who is in the C suite and just below; run the place like a business with an academic mindset. Assess the resources , capacity and fit of projects across the entire institution before you take them on to be sure we can be successful.

Mar 20, 2019

I appreciate your perspective on the things that are working well at the DCRI as well as our opportunities for improvement. The DCRI is embarking on a journey to redefine its service offerings that... More

5. "Mixed bag"

Current Employee - Project Leader
    Current Employee - Project Leader

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance.

Cons

Siloed, poor communication, lack of innovation.

Advice to Management

Work to create a positive innovative work environment.

"Not a shadow of what it used to be"

Current Employee - Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Durham, NC

Pros

Great benefits, work life balance, respectful environment

Cons

Poor employees have been allowed to languish for years and it is impossible to get rid of them no matter how bad they are. The good people have left or are leaving due to carrying the dead weight plus little support from management. Arrogant, unethical executive leadership have run the place into the ground.

Advice to Management

Re- examine the executive leadership. It is the good old boys club. The same people that have made bad choices remain in charge. Certain people are on every executive committee. Major conflict of interest. Get some objective people who have been in the industry recently. You can’t keep riding on the innovation of years ago. DCRI has outdated technologies and tools, not to mention the culture that is resistant to change.

Mar 6, 2019

Thank you recognizing that the DCRI offers a respectful environment with great benefits and sought after work-life balance. We agree there is room for improvement and are undertaking a comprehensive... More

7. "good working environment"

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute (More than 3 years)

Pros

good environment for learning and growth

Cons

organization not doing well recently

"Beware"

Current Employee - Proposal Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Proposal Manager in Durham, NC

Pros

Good benefits and work from home with tuition support

Cons

DCRI is about to have another layoff due to poor management and bad finances. It is not a healthy place to work at this time

Advice to Management

The good people are leaving as part of this announcement and the dead wood stays, one of the worst places I have ever worked

Feb 22, 2019

Thank you for sharing your input. We are proud to provide our employees with numerous benefits, including flexible work arrangements, that traditional companies typically do not offer. At this time... More

"Needs some major improvements"

Current Employee - Lead CRA in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Lead CRA in Durham, NC

Pros

The benefits are great. The ability to work from home either part time or full time and they really try to keep a good work/life balance.

Cons

Lack of consistent training for new employees. PM & SM continuously blaming each other. Consistently underbidding projects with sponsors. The constant threat of financial instability.

Advice to Management

While I know that managing large groups of people is never easy, it would be nice if there was some sort of consistency when it came to new employee training. New employees are given way to long of a grace period to "catch" on to their role and end up being a burden to the study they are assigned to. They should be evaluated more often in the first 90 days and let go if they can't catch on. We as leads should not still be training them on the basics 1.5 years into their positions! The PM and SM feuding may stop with the new splitting of clinops but that hasn't had enough time to tell. Hopefully with out own director we will have more of a voice now. The bidding process should include people who are actually on the front lines now and not people who were there 10-20 years ago. Things have changed drastically and so has the way sites are monitored. Maybe a survey across the SM team to see how the CRAs feel about how the SM bidding has been on recent projects and what can be done to improve it? Perhaps that might help with the financial instability that seems to plague the DCRI every few years.

Feb 6, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and suggestions. We are happy to hear that you feel the DCRI provides a good working environment that offers opportunities for learning and... More

"Not what it used to be!"

Current Employee - CRA
    Current Employee - CRA

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good health benefits.

Cons

Lots of workplace gossip. Promotions are hard to come by. Parking is expensive.

Advice to Management

The organization is top heavy.