Duke Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Duke Energy President and Chief Executive Officer Lynn J. Good
Lynn J. Good

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The work/life balance could be better (in 24 reviews)

• They are squeezing the front-line contributors so the upper management gets more (in 15 reviews)

1. "Honest Truth"

I worked at Duke Energy full-time

Pros

Great pay, and benefits are better than most.

Cons

staff not as professional as I thought it would be. Company does not value diversity and inclusion.

2. "worst job ever"

Former Employee - Meter Tech in Lancaster, SC
    Former Employee - Meter Tech in Lancaster, SC

I worked at Duke Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No boss looking over your shoulder, working alone, manager your own time and effort

Cons

long days, stressful conditions cutting others power off, no emotional support low pay

Advice to Management

higher pay, some available counseling for trauma situations

"Middle management clown show"

Current Employee - Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is nearly impossible to beat. Great, great pay opportunities. Huge job security. Work with a lot of very competent employees

Cons

This place is the personification of a Dilbert cartoon in all the worst ways. Most middle managers are hilariously incompetent, and generally not interested in much outside of keeping their jobs or getting promoted. Culture of fear to speak out, and many do the least amount of work possible to keep the paychecks coming. It's basically working for the government. Red tape, lack of motivation, politics ruling everything - and incompetence/laziness never held accountable. Don't work here.

Advice to Management

Maybe you shouldn't use the "anonymous" feedback surveys to target employees who write negative reviews.

4. "Not a healthy environment"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are generally approachable. Environment is typically non confrontational. Pay is on par for the industry. Most employees like the environment.

Cons

Still significant post merger issues specifically with positioning and posturing. Decisions are made at a very slow pace. Middle management is still in flux.

Advice to Management

Need to figure out how to work together to be successful going forward.

"Horrible people management does not converse with staff....is there a minus 5 star rating"

Current Employee - Contractor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Contractor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ALL LIES JUDGE PEOPLE NO CONCERN FOR PEOPLE WILL FIRE YOU IF YOU EVEN ASK FOR A MOMENT OF THEIR TIME

Cons

Most racist, sexist ( people) use term loosely place I have ever been

Advice to Management

Talk to people and stop treating contractors like slaves 3/5!!! With them 1/5

6. "Officers trrated poorly"

Current Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Southport, NC
    Current Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Southport, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can be lazy if you want.

Cons

No available advancement options in security. Will not allow officers to transfer to other departments even if qualified to do so.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and start treating officers like you treat the staff members

"Talent Acquisition"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time

Pros

Great co-workers...That's about it...Great CEO who just don't know what's going on and too trusting with her managers who are managing the employees.

Cons

Low pay
    Awful Benefits
    Awful Management...not trustworthy, not truthful, disillusioned, no experience, clueless
    Prejudice, racist
    Do not care about employees...pretend to care
    Can't take management seriously...just liars
    No opportunities for lower paying Black Women (African American Women) to be promoted and/or move to another department from Talent Acquisition
    No opportunities for Black women in Talent Acquisition...once you're there, you are there until you quit or get fired

Advice to Management

To read the Cons...get rid of the director's direct reports in Talent Acquisition and get new blood. There has been 3 Directors in 4 years and the same direct reporting managers...Hint: it's not the directors
    To help and allow opportunities for lower paying Black Women (African American Women) to be promoted and/or move to another department from Talent Acquisition

"Worst Job And Professional Experience of my Life"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TOWOP, free meals during storm overtime (although I was always so stressed that I was physical ill most days I worked here and unable to eat.)

Cons

This job was the worst experience both personally and professionally that I have ever encountered. I was a customer service rep at the Charlotte based call center for 2 years. Looking back, I honestly can't believe I stuck it out that long. It is really no wonder that this company has such high job turnover rates. This company sets unbelievably high and humanly impossible standards.Work here and you will suffer constant verbal abuse from customers, you will be consistently required to work 12-16 hour shifts at less than 5 minutes notice. There is ZERO work/life balance. I had to come into work the night of my bridal shower and work until 4am the next day because there was a stupid thunderstorm in Indiana. It counts against you to use earned paid sick time. You are treated like a pre-schooler and constantly watched and monitored everywhere in the building and parking lot by seniority. You will go "on report" for little things like walking while talking on your cell phone. Oh, and you will only make $12 an hour for giving up your life to serve this company. I have had several jobs that were a thousand times easier than this one with a lot less expected of me that paid MORE. This place is a ridiculous joke.

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees have lives outside of this living nightmare of a job. Don't expect us to care about a storm somewhere across the globe when our shift is 5 minutes from being over. We have children, families and lives outside the cubicle. Don't expect us to stay all night to answer the phones while you waltz out at 5pm and go home to your family.

"Awful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Good benefits
    401k match
    Insurance had multiple options

Cons

Required OT
    Lack of Leadership
    Lack of work life balance, requires you to work on holidays
    Too many changes
    No communication from higher up

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"Poor employee treatment"

Former Employee - Internet Support Specialist/Customer Care in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Internet Support Specialist/Customer Care in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good location, coworkers are great, decent benefits

Cons

Poor management, lack of communication between various departments, high stress with customers due to the company's reputation for billing errors.