Duke Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Duke Energy President and Chief Executive Officer Lynn J. Good
Lynn J. Good

Pros
  • Excellent safety standards, strong support for healthy work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great culture, good benefits, good work life balance (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance could be better (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management made some really poor decisions when I worked there (in 14 reviews)

1. "Duke Energy powers above the rest!"

Current Employee - Nuclear Secuity Officer in Seneca, SC
    Current Employee - Nuclear Secuity Officer in Seneca, SC

Pros

You never have to worry about the company's services not being needed anymore as everyone needs power to function in today's world. The population of the work force is more like family than coworkers. Everyone cares about everyone else and their ability to make it home safe to their family at the end of the day. The benefits packages are out of this world witht he company matching more than most do for retirement 401K accounts. Wonderful vacation and pay raise scales keep you from being left behind on the money train. Overal, I have been there more than a decade and nothing major to complain about yet.

Cons

Nothing in over a decade!

Advice to Management

Remember that you used to be a line-level worker too!

"Duke Energy is the best company to work for"

Former Employee - Local IT Technician in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Local IT Technician in Greenville, SC

Pros

From the first day that I started work at Duke, I felt like I had become part of a family. I enjoyed working with almost everyone that I came in contact with, and really enjoyed my time there. Aside from feeling included, I really enjoyed the work that I did there. With every assignment I took on, I was given feedback immediately after completing the task whether it be good or bad. Also, everyone that I worked with and/or worked for was very approachable. I felt that I could go to anyone at anytime and ask them whatever I needed to know. If I was having trouble with a task, everyone was more than willing to help out. Communication within the company was excellent. Everyone on the team knew what any other member of the team was doing at almost any given time. Another plus was the compensation. I feel that I was well compensated for my responsibilities as an employee at Duke Energy, and the benefits package was great as well.

Cons

I did not really experience any downsides of the company while I worked there. With my position, there was a great deal of travel involved which some people might not have enjoyed but I really liked the traveling. The only problem that I really had was dealing with the help desk within the company. The company uses a ticket system to assign tasks to different teams depending on what was needed. However, sometimes when a problem was reported, the ticket would be assigned to the wrong group and would have to bounce around until we could find the group that needed to handle the problem. Though this was not a huge problem, it did get annoying sometimes. Other than this, I really enjoyed every other aspect of working for the company.

Advice to Management

Senior Management is doing a great job. They communicated down the chain what needed to be done and backed us up on our decisions and our work.

"Duke Energy IS a great place to work."

Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Duke Energy is a great place to work. I believe there really is a genuine interest in doing the right thing and treating employees and customer fairly, honestly and ethically.

Cons

Being a regulated utility, it is sometimes difficult to cost justify new technology and the expense associated with it.

Advice to Management

Keep our feet on the ground and don't repeat the mistakes of the DENA days when new and better was the only option. New technology and new business is fun and we desperately need to embrace change. However, we must ensure the base platform is stable and reliable before heading off in new frontiers.

"Government pollution and reliability regulations bring new rules, new technology and new jobs."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

A good, friendly work environment. A lot of different jobs that you can move to throughout the company. Great benefits and job security that are rare in the current job market. Customers more consistent than most industries.

Cons

Has to deal with extensive demands of government regulations that are constantly changing. Also, energy companies are an easy target for environmentalist protest.

Advice to Management

Between new government regulations and the acquisition of other companies, Duke Energy has a lot of work to do in establishing standards (and documentation of them) throughout the system from the Power System to Software to Records Retention. This will also be beneficial with the high rate of retirees in the upcoming years being replaced by a young workforce.

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - IT Manager II in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - IT Manager II in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Almost everyone that works at Duke Energy is a top notch professional. This creates a solid working environment were almost everyone is happy, challenged and satisified.

Cons

Duke Energy is a large company so it can take time to move up in the ranks. Upward movement is made tougher because of the average age of the employees is on the high side of average.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. The only suggestion I have is that safety is stressed a little too much. Creating a safe work environment is important, but telling adults how to cross the street is a little demeaning.

7. "Cinergy|Duke was a great place to work"

Current Employee - Accounting\Finance in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Accounting\Finance in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

has been an awesome job - great work\life balance - respect for life outside work. expected to get work done & produce - but never overbearing and able to be flexible when needed. HAS been awesome - shame some Cincy jobs moving to Charlotte. Charlotte office is pretty nice also, just too far from family. Would have stayed forever :-)

Cons

Has been hard to operate out of 2 offices sometimes Charlotte & Cincy - just didn't become 'easy' for some to have staff in 2 places.

Advice to Management

Try not to outsource too much ....

"Incredibly challenging and rewarding"

Current Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The best reasons for working at Duke Energy are the challenges and the people. It also has good locations in all of NC.

Cons

The downsides of working here is the atmosphere. It's not bad, but I can't find a time to relax at work.

Advice to Management

You need to make sure there are some benefits at work for employees such as a daycare center and a pool.

"Stable company and great employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Stable company. Good beneifits and good management

Cons

Little chance to get super rich and behind the technology curve

Advice to Management

Stick to core business

10. "I enjoyed the challenging pace of work and the professionalism of my colleagues."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

It's all about the people. It was a pleasure to work with the hard-charging folks on my project. I worked in the IT area which is composed mostly of contractors.

Cons

Areas and departments were always being reorganized and I had 4 bosses in 3 years. They were all good people, but it was a bit challenging continuously adjust to each style. When I started, there was no on-boarding process and I had to figure out stuff as needed. (They have one now)

Advice to Management

Continue the leadership training program.

"Excellent company to work"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good money, peaceful work environment

Cons

A little laid back, southern company.

Advice to Management

Good work!