Duke University Health System Reviews in Durham, NC | Glassdoor

Duke University Health System President and CEO Victor J. Dzau
Victor J. Dzau

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • low pay range for skilled craft jobs (in 18 reviews)

• Work/life balance isn't where it should be in the department I work in (in 6 reviews)

1. "Excellent Healthcare"

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State of the art
    challenge

Cons

Dental benefits
    An aging workforce

2. "I really enjoyed working and meeting people over the years. They have been great to work with."

Current Employee - PRMO in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - PRMO in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Duke Medical Center has great opportunities for growth. It is a good company to work for and gain experience for future goals

Cons

Salary challenges. Duke Health Should look into increasing salary requirements for employees. It reduces turnover and shows the company truly appreciate their employees.

Advice to Management

Encourage leadership training opportunities to employees

3. "Not a job for CNA"S"

Current Employee - CNA II, HUC in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - CNA II, HUC in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the pros for working here is that Duke look good on your resume, hard work but you like the job that you do. Meet people from all over the world, etc.

Cons

Working as a CNA duke does not have many chances are opportunities for the skill level. The highest you can go is CNA II or HUC. Duke will find a way for you to do both jobs, and still, get paid less. The place is full with too many chiefs and not enough Indians. I have seen nurses getting a pay raise up to nine percent, while the NA's only get a two percent raise. The work is tough, when I was working at UNC we had at least four to five NA's to staff a thirty patient workload. Working for Duke on some floors, there is two NA's with sixteen patient apiece. To me, that is modern-day slavery. Most of the floor nurses are lazy, and seem to be unskilled. To me, most of the nurses have the "I know it all because I have gone to school" attitude. Watch out for the clicks and the unit. Most Nurse Managers are biased and will take sides. To me, the only place where NA's can go is the float pool, where you don't have to deal with so much on the floor staffing and the headache. For all my years of experience, all I get paid is $13.76 an hour.

Advice to Management

The Na's are starting to feel less, and less needed. Please pay us more, because we need a cost of living rise just like your nurses.

4. "Dietitian"

Current Employee - Registered Dietitian in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Registered Dietitian in Durham, NC

Pros

I make my own schedule and am in-charge of my own work

Cons

I can't think of any cons

5. "Outstanding people, culture, and work environment."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst III in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst III in Durham, NC

Pros

Great benefits, excellent PTO and mostly happy employees to work alongside. Work life balance is outstanding and plenty of flexible work options.

Cons

No cons to make note of at this time. Upward mobility may be a little slow due to extremely low turnover

6. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow.

Cons

Parking and commute can be a downside

Advice to Management

NA

7. "IT Analyst Job"

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and people to work for!

Cons

Not always understanding of personal issues and how things can affect a person long term.

Advice to Management

If a person has a legitimate medical reason for something, do not take it out them when they may have no control of its side effects.

8. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Regulatory Coordinator in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Regulatory Coordinator in Durham, NC

Pros

I am new to DCI but so far I have had a very positive experience here.DCI has a strong team environment that works together very well. Many opportunities to work on exciting projects and advance your career. Also the benefits are great!

Cons

There has been a lot of recent growth which has led to limited space.

"Meh... IT Analyst"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Durham, NC

Pros

Senior IT leaders of DHTS seem to have their employees best interests in mind. They really seem to care and they want to maintain a stable environment.

Benefits are good. Plenty of PTO, fairly open WFH policy.

Cons

Senior IT leaders of DHTS are disconnected from what a modern IT organization looks like. They're not IT people. They are very risk adverse and they don't have a cohesive strategy to avoid "Big Duke" from outsourcing much of the infrastructure to the cloud and keeping the unique medical application owners and supporting personnel. Senior leadership all too easily rests on their laurels and in an effort to "keep it positive" avoid having the crucial conversations and speak honestly.

Salaries are very low - not even competitive with local/national standards. Many folks that have been there 20+ years often reference "the good old days" and use their history as justification about why new ideas or processes won't work.

The work is uninteresting and there are major communication issues between departments.

No professional level training. No internal training department. No bonuses. No internal surveys. No real metrics to gain any insight into what's happening on a daily basis.

Because much of the work is reactive, it can be long hours of hands on to fix things that break and very little gratitude afterward.

Advice to Management

Stop paying consultants to tell you what to fix. Get your hands dirty and learn what your people do. Replacing the entire senior leadership team would be a good start. Consider offering early retirement to some of the "old dogs" to move new thought leaders into better positions and refresh the organization.

10. "Biostatistician Intern"

Current Intern - Bio Statistician in Durham, NC
    Current Intern - Bio Statistician in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

professional work environment with sufficient support from the team

Cons

not find cons so far