Duke University Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Graduate Student Researcher"

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All costs for student health center covered 100%, so no out of pocket expenses. Great access to the variety of shared resources and core facilities associated with the medical school.

Cons

Constantly upgrades/construction going on to expand facilities and increase capacity (which is a positive sign) but can often lead to a lack of continuity with regard to larger organization.

2. "Lab information system director"

Current Employee - Lab Information Systems Director in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Lab Information Systems Director in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organization culture promotes and display respect across the organization workforce from top to bottom
    Strong and dynamic leaders
    Leaders and workforce displays professional pride
    Organization encourage innovation and critical thinking from top to bottom
    amazing HR support person
    very impressed by senior leaders leadership talent
    Very proud to work for one of the leading health care system

Cons

truly I cannot think of any thing right now

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! love the non-micro management leadership style and also that your close tie with your employee

3. "Low Paying Hospital, No break, and Lots of travel Nurses .. Nickel and Dime you for Parking"

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time

Pros

Duke has friendly staff. Living in the triangle can be a fun place for a while, and overall the staff at duke is very nice. Teamwork is pretty solid and ideas are encouraged to help with patient care. Health benefits and 401k is competitive with NC. You will learn a lot working next to highly educated medical staff.

Cons

Duke is extremely low paying considering the area is becoming very expensive. Owning a home on a duke salary can be difficulty. Other local hospitals pay much better.
    Duke charges its staff for parking that is over priced and inconvenient.
    As a nurse at duke I was NEVER offered a break bedsides my lunch break. Which not only breaks labor laws I'm sure but makes nurses exhausted and feel under appreciated.
    Working in ambulatory you don't always receive your hours which you must supplement with PTO or not get paid.
    Nurses do not stay due to low salary, and there a ton of travelers supporting the facility everyday.

Advice to Management

Change Nurses to salary rather then hourly.
    Stop charging staff for parking your a non for profit with huge income and donations. It really insulting. ( Yes other university hospitals do it, but does that make it right? )
    Ensure every unit offers more then lunch breaks to staff.

4. "Research"

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time

Pros

Big Entity and yu get to meet so many people from all departments.

Cons

Underline prejudice and Racism that goes on from upper management

5. "Brilliant people but no company has no direction"

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time

Pros

- Teams are made up of passionate people
    - Duke is open to hiring motivated, educated individuals without experience
    - Physician investigators are brilliant and inspiring to work with

Cons

- Each clinical research team is isolated from each other. This results in a lack of knowledge transfer -- some teams are thriving while others are continuously unsuccessful.
    - Supervisors receive no formal management training. Some individuals are not natural leaders and would HIGHLY benefit from this education.
    - Lack of management leadership skills cultivates a toxic work environment.

Advice to applicants: Ask how much turn over the group you are potentially joining has had. If there has been significant turnover ask why.

6. "DUHS"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good support, benefits and management

Cons

Less competitive in terms of pay

7. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time

Pros

Friendly work environment, great learning opportunities, great place to grow and learn about the healthcare industry.

Cons

Doesn't really have an opportunity for competitive pay.

8. "Nurse"

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good benefits,

Cons

Parking and parking costs, management,

9. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time

Pros

Great learning environment, good exposure to the healthcare world, good staff and team work

Cons

At times short staffed

10. "Wish I hadn't left my other job"

I have been working at Duke University Health System part-time

Pros

Benefits, PTO, that's pretty much it

Cons

I'm hoping my bad experience at Duke has to do with the department I'm in. Because there's no way this type of behavior could be going on around Duke and people are staying. Honestly I'm very disappointed in Duke , I've only been here for 1 month and I'm ready to leave. Terrible work environment- management plays favorites, she lets "certain employees" play music loudly at their desk, and others talk on their cell phone all day long while you're trying to work. Don't let a non-favorite employee do any of this, because they certainly will be reprimanded. Also the manager is unprofessional and says inappropriate things to employees, and talks to employees like she's friends with them. She also has no idea what she's doing and micro manages those who aren't her favorites. If you're salaried, she will ask you to bring your lunch for a 9 hour day and work through it while eating. Yet her favorites can leave the building for lunch. I'm part-time and she frequently will try to work me over my 20 hours. That would be fine except I don't get any extra pay for working over since I'm salaried and I'm in graduate school which is why I took the part time position in the first place. Employees talk down to one another, and staff with less credentials and education seem to be the one running things. So much for my BSN and RN degree. Bullying and hateful talk by some folks are customary and the manager does nothing. I honestly thought that working at Duke would be very professional and rewarding, turns out to be the opposite. I dread going to work everyday and I'm very unhappy. I'm blessed to be an RN with a Bachelors degree and soon to have my Masters in Nursing, because I will most definitely leave this place in several weeks

Advice to Management

Listen to all your employees, not just your favorites. Learn your job, be more professional and stop trying to be friends with your employees. Furthermore please don't lie to applicants to get them in the door , and then do the opposite of what you said you were going to do when they start working. Stop the bullying tactics and mentality so that other employees feel welcome and secure.