KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Duke University Health System

Engaged Employer

Duke University Health System

Add a Review

Duke University Health System Employee Reviews about "manager"

Updated Aug 10, 2022

Found 26 of over 1,227 reviews

3.8
Duke University Health System President and CEO Eugene Washington, M.D., M.P.H., M.Sc.
Eugene Washington, M.D., M.P.H., M.Sc.

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

10h

a

Mental Health Specialist II

8 years experience in Social Work. Have undergraduate degree in Sports Management and Masters in Social Work. Have taken the Licensing exam 3 times and failed. Will be 31 in January and am wondering whether I should continue this career path. If I did decide on another career path I have no idea what that would be. Currently making around 60k, would be happier in the 70-80 range. Wondering if HealthCare is worth it long term.. Any suggestions?

6 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay and a feeling that you should just feel honored to work there(in 131 reviews)
  • "LOW salary with very poor incremental annual raise (does not come close to matching cost of inflation).(in 36 reviews)
  • "Poor management has no idea how to run the department holds grudges constantly says some very discriminatory things HR covers it up.(in 32 reviews)
  • "Parking is expensive and inconvenient(in 28 reviews)
  • "Some managers actually care while a lot doesn't.(in 16 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Duke University Health System and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "manager"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee

Epic Project Manager III

Nov 7, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance, good pay, good culture.

Cons

You don't leave a company, you leave a manager. I had the best manager for 6 months as a contractor. Hired full-time and the new manager is untrustworthy. Speaks out of both sides of her mouth. HR is no help.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

A lot of opportunity to learn from talented healthcare professionals

Jan 28, 2015 - CNA in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Extremely nice people to work with on a daily basis. Nurse manager did a wonderful job creating the schedule and making sure everyone had days off that they needed.

Cons

The unit I worked on was wonderful, no complaints.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Decent Job

May 12, 2021 - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good communication between staff and management. I consistently see the nurse manager and she is always polite and friendly. Expectations are clear and expressed to your from day 1. Given lots of polite feedback on how to improve. 6 weeks of hands on orientation, they do a very good job of making sure you are well prepared for your job.

Cons

The pay isn't worth the amount of work you are expected to do. You typically have 16 patients, and sometimes the nurses aren't very helpful. Some are incredible, but there are always a few who don't want to do anything to help the CNAs.

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Excellent benefits, limited upward mobility

Sep 15, 2012 - Senior IT Analyst in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits and retirement plan for monthly employees are excellent.

Cons

My current Sr. manager is great. My former one was terrible. No matter how much work you did, it was never good enough and it was never enough. His favorites were given excellent reviews and allowed to do very little work.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Company Review

Oct 12, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A very good place to work at...my department manager is the best manager I've had.

Cons

Nothing huge that comes to mind.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

DHTS-IT Employed for 10 yrs., and laid off.

Jun 6, 2014 - DHTS in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, benefits and that's about it.

Cons

It's who you know, not what you know. Experienced 3 restructuring episodes only to be given the axe in the third. Honesty with employees is questionable. Fairness in selection process is dependent upon the manager and the institution's hidden agenda.

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Work is good; coworkers are meh

Jan 18, 2021 - Pahrmacy Technician in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, good work life balance.

Cons

Disorganized at times; manager isn’t very involved in the goings on of day to day work.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Doing the work of Nurse Managers

Jul 5, 2022 - Assistant Nurse Manager in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Make my own schedule, some flexibility

Cons

Job duties are that of a nurse manager but not compensated as such. Poor work life balance

9. 4.0
    Former Employee

Magnet hospital

Mar 15, 2022 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great manager and work culture on my specific unit

Cons

Pay is less than hospitals in same area

Duke University Health System Response

Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate hearing about your positive personal experience with your management and the work culture on your unit. We are continually looking at ways to improve our Total Rewards Program to ensure team members are supported in both work and in life. Know that this calendar year one improvement to that plan will include additional investments in pay for team members.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Rewarding career

Nov 28, 2017 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are hard-working, caring people who form a great team. Sr. Manager is supportive and trusts us to do a great job. Never micromanages, treats us like adults. COO knows everyone by their first name and appreciates our work efforts. Work from home is allowed and encouraged, schedules are fairly flexible. Salaries are fair for the most part. Excellent health care and retirement benefits, not to mention access to best doctors in the world. Free parking. Diverse culture with opportunities for all who work hard.

Cons

Building (not Duke-owned) is not in best shape. Mold present in ceiling tiles. But hey, FREE PARKING.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews