KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Duke University Health System

Engaged Employer

Duke University Health System

Add a Review

Duke University Health System Employee Reviews about "people"

Updated Aug 11, 2022

Found 122 of over 1,227 reviews

3.8
Duke University Health System President and CEO Eugene Washington, M.D., M.P.H., M.Sc.
Eugene Washington, M.D., M.P.H., M.Sc.

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

10h

a

Mental Health Specialist II

8 years experience in Social Work. Have undergraduate degree in Sports Management and Masters in Social Work. Have taken the Licensing exam 3 times and failed. Will be 31 in January and am wondering whether I should continue this career path. If I did decide on another career path I have no idea what that would be. Currently making around 60k, would be happier in the 70-80 range. Wondering if HealthCare is worth it long term.. Any suggestions?

6 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay and a feeling that you should just feel honored to work there(in 142 reviews)
  • "LOW salary with very poor incremental annual raise (does not come close to matching cost of inflation).(in 37 reviews)
  • "Everybody says this about every organization, but the poor management and high turnover runs rampant here(in 35 reviews)
  • "Parking is expensive and inconvenient(in 29 reviews)
  • "Some managers actually care while a lot doesn't.(in 15 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Duke University Health System and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Clinical Research at Duke--It all depends on the group you're with

Dec 27, 2013 - Clinical Research Coordinator II in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

It can be a good environment working with bright colleagues. There seem to be good opportunities to learn and move up, so it's what you make it to some extent.

Cons

However, I think there is a huge discrepancy in experience (positive or negative) based on which group you're with. Some people are really lazy and somehow the hard workers get saddled with their work.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Good

Aug 9, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed most of the people I worked with and most of the patients were very kind.

Cons

Sometimes only had two NAs and it was busy on the floor. And the nurses sometimes didn’t help

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Toxic work culture

May 12, 2022 - Physician Assistant in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and access to healthcare. Lots of learning opportunities and pathology.

Cons

Most miserable group of docs and nurses I’ve ever met. People are strange and cliqueish and are brainwashed soldiers

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 3.0

Compensation

Jul 14, 2022 - Provider
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are nice and talented

Cons

Compensation is not very high, especially compared to other hospitals, research institutions, and industry.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Post-doc experience - great experience, may depend on the group you're with

Apr 8, 2014 - Postdoctoral Associate in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I absolutely love the laboratory I am in, and find the overall research community within the health system quite wonderful to work with. There is an astounding amount of genuine collaboration and shared interests - and often so many talks and opportunities to meet with other people that it can be hard to get actual work done!

Cons

Your experience may vary wildly depending on which group you end up with, so careful attention must be paid with who you interview with. Also, particularly within the psychiatry department (the area I am most acquainted with), HR is an absolute nightmare. They never have the forms needed, I know of several people who did not get a paycheck on time (and had to re-fill paperwork for direct deposit 3-4x, etc).

6. 3.0

Depends on the entity

Nov 24, 2019 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are innovative and hard-working

Cons

Too matriced to be effective.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

Excellent security and benefits - if you can stand the politics.

Dec 30, 2008 - Senior Analyst in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Duke Health System is an excellent employer for the right kind of person. As a baseline, Duke is an excellent place to build a resume, has great benefits, and reasonable salaries. Overtime is rare (at least in IT) but be aware there is no compensation if you are salaried for overtime. Duke is truly focused on patient care and it shows - we have high patient satisfaction and management definitely puts (rightly so) a high degree of emphasis on this. It can make working there very rewarding knowing that you are truly helping people.

Cons

To advance, you may need to play a political game. Advancement in the same position can be rare - this means that advancement usually comes in the form of switching from one job to another within Duke. Politics are worse than other places I have worked and it is pretty much a requirement that to advance you must play the game. This can be very frustrating at times and especially to new hires. Another downside is the 'dead weight'. Job security is fantastic but it works both ways - meaning there are some very incompetent people working (again in IT) who seemingly cannot be fired. At best, they are shuffled to a different position and await retirement. This can make working at Duke difficult when one takes 'fairness' into perspective.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Lacks Diversity

Mar 26, 2021 - GME Program Coordinator in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Job stability, Work-life balance, wellness programs

Cons

Lacks diversity-very few non-white people in (senior) management positions and I don’t mean housekeeping or food service

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Good please to work

Oct 14, 2021 - Field Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Duke has good benefits like medical and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Growth is slow but can move fast if something opens up that alot of people may not want. Meaning hours that a lot of people will not want.

10. 2.0

Communication, Leadership and Respect for Employees Lacking

Sep 12, 2008 - Senior Analyst in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of the best reasons for working at DUHS is the interesting nature of the work. There are many challenging projects that require you to stretch your skills and develop new ones. You also get a sense that what you do, although at times indirect, is contributing to the well being of other people. Another good reason is that the benefits are decent here. Some are outstanding, such as the retirement benefit, others mediocre or middling like health care. So on balance, they are decent. Working close to a beautiful and famous university campus makes for a pleasant atmosphere and the university offers some good cultural amenities. Oh and then there is the basketball team.

Cons

The biggest downside primarily is the the lack of good competent leadership. A close second is poor communicationswhich is related to the lack of good leadership. In my particular area, the communications from senior leadership and between groups is not good. There is not clear communication about how processes and procedures work to accomplish your work and meet your goals. Each team and even members within the team are much too isolated from each other. There is difficulty in knowing how what others are doing may impact your projects and you may impact them. This makes progress on projects less efficient and often frustrating. This is really a leadership question. Our leadership from most senior to the middle ranks needs to cultivate an atmosphere where communications take priority. This lack of communications also affects the level of service that we give our customers (and each other) and creates a poor perception (well founded) of the services that we offer throughout the rest of the organization. The mechanisms in place for communicating up to senior management are broken and when attempting to address these broken mechanisms, there is little support or actual attempt to do anything about it. This creates the feeling that what you are trying to address is unimportant to senior management. That they just don't care enough to fix these avenues of communication that they themselves put in place. Also decisions are made by managers senior and middle, yet the reasoning behind the decisions is never communicated. This creates bad morale on the part of us workers who actually have to do the work. We are not automatons. We are intelligent people who need to be respected for the hard work and skills we attempt to bring to our jobs. Senior management does not make the effort in communicating and attempting to build a buy in to the project. It just comes from the top on down and we have to make it happen. Why? We just don't know, let alone whether this is a good decision or not. Once again this makes you feel like you are unimportant, invisible and senior management just doesn't care. Secondly, we are out of balance between delivering new products and features and improving and strengthening our existing our offerings and infrastructure. This creates a great deal of stress for us workers who have to balance trying to keep current systems going and pushing new systems out. This generates bad customer service. Sure, the new features are good but if you can't even log into the application to make use of them they serve no one. And they leave the users of our system with frustration and the feeling that we are an incompetent department. This does not make me proud to work here. Lastly, for now at any rate, there is this unstated expectation on the part of the organization and senior management that we have to put extraordinary hours in to do our work. There is no compensation for the hours you spend outside of the normal workday to support the systems we have and to accomplish what we have been tasked to do. This is intolerable and exploitive.

1 person found this review helpful