Dun & Bradstreet Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Tom Manning
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance and company culture (in 88 reviews)

• D&B is hiring talent at the top levels of the company to effect change and increase global performance (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing out of the ordinary at D&B but just be aware that transformation does entail ongoing change :) (in 51 reviews)

• Management has little regard for work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great employee-centric company culture"

Former Employee - Vice President, Digital Marketing in Malibu, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President, Digital Marketing in Malibu, CA

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding executive team, very collaborative environment, terrific learning atmosphere, room for career growth, casual workplace setting, unique value proposition, great people and, most importantly, a very ethical company.

Cons

Since D&B is an old company, several senior leaders have spent their entire career there, which somewhat makes them resistant to change and learning.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with telecommuting and promote the amazing concept of the Failure Wall to the broader organization.

2. "Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - QA Engineer
    Former Employee - QA Engineer

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous leave policy
    Awesome HR services
    Plenty of opportunities to grow

Cons

Leadership needs to be more motivating and encouraging of sub-ordinates

Advice to Management

None

"Credit Advisor"

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time

Pros

Good bonus structure to be made if you work hard enough for it
    sometimes they have fun events

Cons

really hit or miss with management

"Change is good"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice to see D&B is getting with the times in terms of security and modernization. New interim CEO appears to be very interested in employee opinions and ways to improve the business

Cons

Open concept offices are not so great for an older workforce (which in some departments is very mature). Corporate is trying to bring in the millennials but not giving consideration to the long timers who don’t get this new touchy feely workforce

Advice to Management

It’s good to bring in new talent and a younger employee base, but don’t forget about the career employees who stayed with you through Good and Bad.

"You can't grow by cuttin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work. Very smart people. Collegial environment

Cons

Continual headcount reductions due to poor planning. This isn't a "cut the bottom 10%" strategy, just cutting to reduce costs

Advice to Management

Understand that you're not going to get back to 7% growth by buying companies that make different flavors of the products you already have. An approach of the short-term being defined by the current month and the long-term being defined as the current quarter will not lead to success

"Just read this"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time

Pros

Work life balance
    Lots of travel
    Lots of freedom/autonomy
    Awesome coworkers
    Phone/laptop/corporate Amex credit card so no reimbursing!
    Seems like the company is trying.

Cons

Probably looking at a big round of layoffs soon and/or M&A. Notice we don’t have a CEO, COO or CMO.

For a tech company, internal technology is a joke and management are all 30+ year veterans that have no clue how to use it i.e we have Skype, webex, zoom AND gotomeetings. WHY? And every single meeting nobody can figure out how to mute people or turn the screen share on i swear it’s a joke.

It will literally take you forever to get anything done here. Seriously, there is a job aide and process for everything if you get 1 or 2 action items done in a day you’re accomplished. And everyone knows that, they’re comfortable with it.

D&B loves itself. There’s way too many pointless meetings that do nothing to drive sales or drive engagements with customers. Just meetings so depts that have nothing to do with sales can tell us what they’re up to. We don’t give a sugar honey iced tea, we want to sell.

Our pricing, invoices and usage adjustments literally require training in itself for anyone to understand, and our customers complain about it too. But seriously, even off the shelf products can take days to price.

There are sales tactics and there’s shady tactics. D&B practices both. But so do most companies so it’s ok.

There’s a love hate relationship here between employees and the company. Love the people you meet and work with and the pros listed above, but it’s so damn irritating to do your job.

If your in sales, get ready to be tasked with selling, but actually spend 90% of your time putting our fires and dealing with BS like invoice changes, Id/password resets, contract amendments, etc because back office literally takes forever and when they respond they ask obvious questions. It’s like they’re trying to not help.

Tons of overlap and redundancies.

Lots of talking, very little action. I mean you’ll be on 8 internal meetings in a week just to hear people talk about what’s going on with them and their team and product roadmaps and pie in the sky future changes. It’s like people are scheduling meetings to be busy.

Advice to Management

I know you have fat pensions to pay these lifers, but truth is, they’re comfortable and they’re not even interested in our new products. They’re not exciting. They’re not hunters. You don’t want to cut them because that’s expensive and they have the customer relationships, but you also know keeping them is sinking this ship. That goes for management and sales that still wants to walk into a meeting with a 10 page PowerPoint full of text, to sellers that just want to add margin and no value.

Think about all that’s out there in front of our customers, then think about us. We’re not exciting. You did phenomenal with rebranding to be more modern. The outside looks great but under the hood is still old dusty D&B. It’s the truth. I see so much potential in d&b in 2018 and beyond but it just feels from the inside we’re still in the 90s. Our data is the best, our marketing is sexy and there’s a great story to be told it’s just not being told because the tellers are bog down and have been around long enough that nothing excites them and most stuff there’s cynicism

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time

Pros

Great view and location, nice office, fun environment. Talented teams with solid leadership. Flexible working schedule and generous sick and PTO policies.

Cons

Technical talent has a low ceiling. Compared with other engineering teams in other companies, you'll find yourself as the most technical person sooner than later. Can be challenging to further technical pursuits that are relevant to the business without the right support.

Advice to Management

Find the budget to hire a few extremely senior engineers and don't be afraid to follow their recommendations.

8. "Awesome environment!"

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet (More than a year)

Pros

Such a great atmosphere and everybody is more than willing to help. I definitely have learned a great deal working here!

Cons

Management could be more organized

Advice to Management

Listen more to employee's ideas

"Credit Advisor"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A dynamic working environment with lots of support, benefits and motivation.
    The coaches or extraordinary, with heart and a desire to make you succeed.
    The culture, especially in the Tempe office is an environment that you get up early in the morning and look forward to going to work. Truly blessed to be a part of such an institution.

Cons

There are really no Cons to mention about working at DNB. It isn't for everyone because the sales expectation is exactly that. It is an expectation. The goals do gradually increase month to month and the they do reach to high levels. That can be challenging at the beginning of each month. At the end of the day, DNB gives you the world and you need to deliver the same.

Advice to Management

There is no advice. They are really incredible. There is nothing that I would change. The employees are a priority all the time and the support is incredible. Management is accountable and made accountable by upper management. Truly an incredible force.

10. "Recent turnover & unwanted change"

Current Employee - Sales Organization
    Current Employee - Sales Organization

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great reputation & brand. Great benefits including awesome PTO, paid volunteer days, an “unsick” day to handle appointments and good 401k match. Pretty decent work/life balance. Good investment in new product & strategic partnerships (Salesforce, Microsoft).

Cons

Lots of change, almost constant and often last year’s change with a new twist. Comp plans for Sales have recently changed for the worse. Some Sales leadership is downright incompetent. The right leader can make or break your career at D&B.

Advice to Management

Forget the “ confidential” or anonymous surveys. Get out to meet with people in a safe setting. Perform regular “skip” meetings to get a real 360 degree view. Until you can safely address weak leadership, some employees are unable to provide maximum value for clients & the company. I rated interim CEO (Tom Manning) neutral since tenure is too short.