Dun & Bradstreet Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dun & Bradstreet President & CEO Robert Carrigan
Robert Carrigan

Pros
  • The Work/Life balance is incredible good (in 73 reviews)

• The D&B technology organization has new leadership (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing out of the ordinary at D&B but just be aware that transformation does entail ongoing change :) (in 46 reviews)

• Work life balance kinda difficult (in 16 reviews)

"customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to be unprofessional, dress like a slob, listen to rap music, smoke pot on company time and property. If you are a customer you can pay for a better rating and submit your own false info.

Cons

Rules smules, they only exist to take away your earned commission. Human resources should be renamed Management Protection Program

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a group that has integrity and ethics.

Apr 13, 2017 – Global Head Of Talent

Thank you for sharing this feedback. We take all such concerns very seriously. At Dun & Bradstreet, we take pride in our culture and have been named one of the world’s most ethical companies for the ... More

"No Vision or Employee Appreciation"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I found a way out. This company taught me exactly how not to treat people. I was successful here, but was handicapped by leadership.

Cons

I worked under the worst leadership chain imaginable. No long term vision. They didn't understand sales cycles. No respect for employees. Bad-mouthed fellow employees and our customers.

My manager shuffled territories for his team every year... every year, distributing my hard earned pipeline to the rest of the team in an effort to make him look like a strong manager. Never allowed his employees to have great success. He constantly blamed his team for his failures, and veiled his coaching (a term I use lightly) under the corporate concept of "open and honest feedback." He spoke a lot of "perception," but that was his excuse for not paying attention.

HR allowed the sales leadership to be rogues behave like unprofessionally, and possibly illegally --- constantly turning over the sales force before leadership behaviors could be exposed. Preached the importance of work-life balance, but this was a lie too.

Consistently found ways to not compensate the sales force for their work.

Consistently forced to make poor decisions that sacrificed long-term success and stability for the sake of "hitting this month."

Everyday, I wait for a call from the SEC asking me to make a statement regarding the activities I witnessed firsthand.

Advice to Management

Learn the art of respect and appreciation. Work on strategic vision, not tactical behaviors. Don't be the enemy of your employees.

If there is an issue, make sure to ask the right questions to the right people. Your middle management team has proven they are willing to lie and hurt employees in an effort to hide their actions.

"Incompetent local management"

Current Employee - Credit Advisor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Credit Advisor in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you go way over goal you will earn big commissions. I have had several large commission checks.

Cons

Before I took the job, a friend of a friend warned me of the management in Tucson. OMG, I should have listened. The management team consists of, for the most part, uneducated rednecks with no leadership skills and definitely no HR training. Racist and sexist occur all the time. They like to challenge men's manhood by asking a rep if they "have a pair". I have heard a Manager compare a sales call to a sexual act. They are so ignorant they even brag about being ignorant. One Manager's favorite line "I have had a million HR complaints but I am like Teflon nothing sticks".

Advice to Management

Some HR training and general leadership training might be an idea.

Mar 1, 2017 – Global Head Of Talent

Thank you for sharing this feedback. We take all such concerns very seriously. At Dun & Bradstreet, we take pride in our culture, and ensuring it is a safe and equitable place to work for our ... More

5. "Cheap way to get cheap labor"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet as an intern

Pros

Some work is good, people are really nice, visibility to senior leadership. You are given a lot of opportunities for the fact that they want to get work done with wages that you are being paid as intern.

Cons

The offer letter says "opportunity for full time offer" - but catch is - it depends! despite working super hard, you find out that there is no vacancy for full time and we will keep in touch. Last year put of 100 interns only 2-3 got offers!
    Pay is way below industry standards - $28 masters, $18 - undergrad
    Additionally, you will find most of the interns are interning there because they have father/mother/uncle working there.

Advice to Management

Be open that you are not considering to extend full time opportunities to interns. No need to deceive by putting false incentives in job descriptions.

"Worst Company- Needs A Compass To Figure Out Where They're Going"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Waltham, MA

Pros

Um....the couches were pretty nice?

Cons

Got hired for a position and then they didn't know what they wanted the person in that position to do. Terribly unorganized and "work hard, play hard" really just means be attached to your computer even after you leave the office. It's not worth it at all, anyone there could do better. Expect for HR and office management- they are the problem.

"Relationship manager"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Center Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Center Valley, PA

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company was great until Jeff Stibel came
    In and made it a call center.

Cons

They don't care about their employees at all.

Advice to Management

Bob Carrigan should be ashamed of himself that he allowed this company to turn into what it is today. They let very good loyal people go due to Jeff Stiebel making decisions.

"Credit Advisor/Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people in the office in Tucson.

Cons

The Tucson office hires 20 people every month and 95% of them don't see a full year. Brutally tough outbound sales calls. Cold calling businesses that have probably never heard of Dun & Bradstreet and you are expected to close a sale worth approximately $1000 by the time you get off the phone with the customer. Management frowns on you having to follow up with customer at a later date. I have over 14 years in sales experience and I would never recommend this type of sales to any of my friends. It is a difficult situation to be working there three months and there are already 40 new hires following you. It feels more like a "cattle call" than a positive work environment.

Advice to Management

I am not going to bother giving advice to management. They are apparently very happy with the hiring model that they have in place.

"It was a great company...."

Former Employee - Senior Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great history and extensive Fortune 500 customer list. Good work lfe balance if you are in the field.

Cons

Management for the past 5+ years can not turn around this ship so they keep cutting cost and people to appear to have any kind of "growth".

"credit advisor"

Former Employee - Credit Advisor in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Credit Advisor in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Initially decent orientation, and training program. -- opportunity to make decent money. Great office massage chairs, ping pong, video gsmes

Cons

It's like a cult, no job security, you are disposable. Upper Management is unprofessional, lacking in HR skills, and inexpierinced.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, Treat people with dignity, and respect, not like disposable objects, DRUG TEST Managers and employees

"Dun & Bradstreet: One (small) Step up from Government"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dun & Bradstreet is a great place to go and relax once you've reached a terminal point in your career and you're ready to coast. If this is where you are in life, D&B is a fantastic choice - a government job with a private sector salary! The people you will work with are really nice, wonderful human beings, too. If you find yourself in a toxic environment, surrounded by backstabbing douchebags, D&B can be a great respite to recover and assess where you want to go next in life.

Cons

You should probably be aware of the following before considering a career at D&B:

1. Unless you are considering a very senior executive (C-suite) role, your peers and direct Managers will likely be B & C-players. Unlike other companies that encourage hiring managers to recruit A-players, mid-level managers at D&B typically hire other B’s & C’s because they are threatened by those better than themselves. The multitude of B-players in mid-level management and line supervisory positions has ushered forth an exponential proliferation of mediocrity all around. D&B’s loosey goosey hiring practices only reinforce this unfortunate phenomenon. Because so much of leadership is learned by the small cues and styles of those with whom you closely work, this environment could have a catastrophic effect on your individual development.

2. One consequence of D&B’s mediocre managerial layer is a lack of role clarity that flows down through the organization. Because Managers with direct reports often protect themselves through ambiguous, CYA approaches to leadership, roles on their teams are often undefined, creating a breeding ground for internal conflict and factional strife. Recent re-orgs, shifting teams, and “acqui-hires” have exacerbated the situation. It’s quite common to have team members across different office locations and functional groups competing for the same responsibilities. This competitive ecosystem in turn makes it difficult for people to build long-term relationships built on trust.

3. Process thinking substitutes substantive thinking 99% of the time at D&B. The vast majority of meetings you participate in will consist of endless and circular procedural discussions, rather than thinking substantively through a problem. If you're an analytical, smart person who wants to dive deep into a complex problem, your talent will be wasted.

Advice to Management

You should pat yourself on the back because you've won a major lottery ticket! Enjoy the government job and your hazard pay while it lasts though, because D&B is surely headed for failure.

May 18, 2016 – employer branding specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your experience here at Dun & Bradstreet. It is always helpful for us to get such specific feedback; we learn and grow from that ... More