Dun & Bradstreet Reviews | Glassdoor

Dun & Bradstreet Reviews

Updated September 14, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The Work/Life balance is incredible good (in 78 reviews)

• The D&B technology organization has new leadership (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing out of the ordinary at D&B but just be aware that transformation does entail ongoing change :) (in 47 reviews)

• Work life balance kinda difficult (in 18 reviews)

"Specialist"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Center Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Center Valley, PA

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

D&B’s product catalog includes very solid proven solutions with plenty of positive history and name recognition. The company will likely survive this recent spate of poor management and rash decisions and be pushed through on their historical strength, flexibility and tradition of the current products.

Cons

In '15 company merged with a former spin-off company, DBCC. It was an odd move because of prior friction between the 2 companies over issues of client poaching and misrepresentation of D&B. The DBCC took over the small business portion of D&B and that animosity seemed to spill over into their management style. They instituted their own rules and have set in motion a process to turn a seasoned professional sales team into an entry-level squad who are required to follow scripts and be put on auto-dialers. While this might work for the very small companies that DBCC are used to prospecting to and working with, but it doesn't work for the medium sized to larger companies who require relationship building and strong needs assessment. As a result, they dismissed numerous sales reps - regardless of performance. The managers up to 2 levels above were given no notice and they were left to pick up the pieces of all those books. Myself, i had been through a run of well exceeding my target many years in a row when I was offered a package. Rumors have it that they have to hit a sales goal by the end of '17 and the DBCC folks get a huge payout. In the end, it'll be the client relationship that will be damaged and that could cost them business in the long run.

Advice to Management

On the DBCC side, listen to your seasoned employees about customer needs. New blood is great, but without any experienced mentors there how are they going to learn? For the rest of D&B - If i had taken this survey at the beginning of '15, you would have had all 4's and 5's. There was much talk from up above about being collaborative both internally and with customers and being constantly data curious and trying to do what you could to improve everything within the company. But in practice, it has just been a never ending corporate blood letting on overdrive. Fortunately, the products are strong enough that there is still time to reverse course.

2. "Credit Advisor Position"

Former Employee - Credit Advisor in Center Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Credit Advisor in Center Valley, PA

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, supportive co-workers and management. Plenty of communication between teams, leaders, coaches. Lots of incentives and creature comforts to offset stressful nature of the job.

Cons

Extremely repetitive work, with little or no opportunities to develop or showcase skills beyond phone sales techniques. Leads are plentiful but the cold calls are an incredibly tough sell, leading to a lot of time spent warming up leads for someone to close them in the future. Lack of tangible results can be discouraging.

Advice to Management

Give thought to raising base pay slightly

"Steer Clear of Emerging Businesses channel."

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Center Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Center Valley, PA

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fortunately, you can still make a lot of money if you work hard, especially if you were in position prior to the recent purchase of Dun & Bradstreet Credibility Corporation. DBCC now runs the formerly know as Small Business channel of inside sales and is know as Emerging Businesses. Core employees make a higher salary and can really make good money versus DBCC employees who have a low hourly rate. D&B is a reputable brand. Companies need D&B data to grow and make business decisions. Company has been around for 175 years.

Cons

If you are looking to get a job in Emerging Businesses now, you can only come in at the low hourly rate and do cold calling before you can grow into any other positions. If you are currently in Emerging Businesses Chanel, you cannot leave or advance your career. There is a professional and then Expert certifications that are timely and make it hard to even qualify for advancement or career development. I personally worked hard to network and prepare for a role outside of direct sales and in Sales Operations. I applied last October and spoke with several leaders about the role to prepare. Needless to say, its been 6 months and I still have no update on that position I applied for, let alone a formal interview. There have been so many changes and reorgs that I guess I was just swept under the rug. The Emerging Businesses channel does not value your personal career path or advancement.

Advice to Management

Listen to the longtime performers when making changes. Take their advice into consideration when making changes. Value career advancement and help drive that rather than cripple and deny it.

"Risk Management Specialist"

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are great people at the company. I worked with some who had only been there short time and some who had been with the company 20+ years. People were always willing to help.

Good benefits. Good amount of PTO and the insurance was inexpensive. 401K and ESPP.

The data is recognized as the leader in the field.

Cons

Lot of changes going on at the company. Some are needed and some seemed to be hard to fathom. I think the company is done for now but for a while the C-Suite was almost like a Game of Thrones episode. I had 4 different Managers in my time at D&B which was less than two years. The products needed to be updated and I believe they have been recently but there needs to be more products for people to sell on the Risk side.

Advice to Management

After reading the 2015 Annual Report I can understand the layoffs but there still need to be some fundamental changes to the sales structure. The Comp plans are tied to growth and the sales teams are forced to constantly bill for greater numbers but there is not a perceived increase in value. Some customers have used the software and the data the same way for many years but are now paying almost double from when they started. The sales team is forced to bill at higher rates even when is it not in their clients interest to do so and it has caused D&B to lose clients they could have kept.

Also not sure what the AVPs/ RVPs do that takes up all of their time but they need to spend more time in the field with their teams. I did not receive much value from them, just pipeline calls. Flatten the sales leadership and get them to provide more value.

I gave Carrigan a negative rating because of the way the layoffs were handled. I understand they are necessary and I don't have a beef with how things worked out for me, but others who had been with the company for a very long time were simply cut. If someone has been there for 20+ years they should be handled better. Otherwise he has a tough job of making needed changes to an old company that needs to evolve as competitors are chipping away at D&B's market share.

5. "Technical Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

Pros

Nice and friendly place to work

Cons

Benefits provided at the company

6. "Good company, not sure about the future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

family leave, PTO days, benefits, severance

Cons

Layoffs could be handled better

"D&B has Changed"

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and atmosphere. Leader in the industry.

Cons

Latest changes brought dissatisfaction and loss of talent. Lack of employee value in the Emerging Business Division.

Advice to Management

D&B Corporate needs to take control back of Emerging Business Division.

8. "Good company undergoing major change."

Current Employee - Information Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Information Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, leadership reinventing company, culture and brand. Strong history and trusted brand in customer data management arena.

Cons

Total comp program not competitive, key leadership jumping ship, sales targets too aggresively focused on growth which will oversell customers. Core product (data) not up to par with gaining competitors.

Advice to Management

Compensation program does not reward top performers but rather rewards mediocracy. New bonus program does not allow employees to receive individual performance incentives but rather rewards the entire team as a whole if lofty ambigious Corp goals are met. Smart program for a 200 person start up but not a 150 year old 5k employee company. Not competitive.

9. "solid company"

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time

Pros

strong products and solutions in most parts of world

Cons

too much restructuring as of late

10. "Nice working experience with Flexible working hours."

Current Employee - Developer in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Developer in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours.
    Good work life balance.

Cons

Older technologies are getting used.Management is less dynamic in making decision.

Advice to Management

Adapt newer technologies.