Dun & Bradstreet Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Anthony Jabbour
  1. "Sales"

Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people, great new focus on product

Cons

moving towards Oracle mentality. Numbers are black and white regardless of circumstances.

Dun & Bradstreet2015-08-03

"Good money/too much stress"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, high commission potential

Cons

Poor unprofessional management, lots of politics and favoritism,

Advice to Management

Get new management!!

Dun & Bradstreet2018-10-09

Dun & Bradstreet Response

November 14, 2018Global Head Of Talent

I appreciate that you took the time to share your perspective on work life as a sales rep. It is always concerning to see a review that cites concerns about our management, so please do share more. You can always call our Compliance Hotline (800-261-8552) to speak confidentially about ...

"Know what you're getting yourself into."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are good, and there is the potential to make a lot of money. Note that I say *potential*. You likely won't make very much for a while. Unless you are one of the very few people who kills it right out of the gate, you will probably live on minimum wage for many months before you hit your stride.

Cons

1. They make a big deal out of their "culture" during the month long training period. However, my experience was that a lot of it is just talk. They talk about being nondiscriminatory, inclusive, etc. However, my experience is that they are quite the opposite. Rampant sexism, harassment, racism, nepotism during hiring, etc. Managers just turn a blind eye and often even participate. All floor managers (and let me be... clear - I had like 10 different floor managers) are men, which tells you something right there about the culture. 2. They also make a big deal about how they aren't your typical salespeople - that the products they are selling make a difference in peoples' lives and are actually very useful, even essential for some businesses. I believe this is probably true, but only for a relatively low percentage of businesses. During training, they tell you that your job is to assess what product, if any, the people you are cold calling might need. You're told you are a "consultant" not a salesperson. If they're doing fine without our products, we are supposed to let them go and say "have a nice day". The reality however is that once you leave training you are constantly implicitly encouraged to sell everybody something, no matter how poor or struggling they are or how obviously they don't need D&B services. And not only are you expected to sell them something, but to sell them the max amount that you can get away with. You are encouraged to add meaningless fees, add-ons, etc. It's extremely unethical. Nothing new in the world of sales, which can often be unethical, but trying to pretend that it's anything other than that is BS. 3. Touched on this above, but this job is hard to make money at. It's hard in general. They make no bones about that - but it's hard to describe to somebody if you've never done cold calling for sales before. You will call as many as 200 people per day, and the majority of the people you reach will not be happy to hear from you. That really gets to you after a while psychologically. So ask yourself - am I good with getting berated constantly and doing the exact same thing over and over again? Or am I desperate enough to give it a try at least?

Advice to Management

Honestly, this one is hard. This place is pretty shady. But it's profitable BECAUSE it's shady. For them to change their business practices wouldn't even make sense because they'd probably go out of business. They've been around for almost 200 years so obviously they know what makes them money. It just sucks that it's so unethical in most respects.

Dun & Bradstreet2018-07-20

Dun & Bradstreet Response

August 31, 2018Global Head Of Talent

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lengthy and comprehensive review. Your perspective, particularly on ethics and work culture, is concerning to us and we’d appreciate learning more. This year, for the 10th year in a row, we were acknowledged as one of The World’s ...

"No Vision or Employee Appreciation"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I found a way out. This company taught me exactly how not to treat people. I was successful here, but was handicapped by leadership.

Cons

I worked under the worst leadership chain imaginable. No long term vision. They didn't understand sales cycles. No respect for employees. Bad-mouthed fellow employees and our customers. My manager shuffled territories for his team every year... every year, distributing my hard earned pipeline to the rest of the team in an effort to make him look like a strong manager. Never allowed his employees to have great... success. He constantly blamed his team for his failures, and veiled his coaching (a term I use lightly) under the corporate concept of "open and honest feedback." He spoke a lot of "perception," but that was his excuse for not paying attention. HR allowed the sales leadership to be rogues behave like unprofessionally, and possibly illegally --- constantly turning over the sales force before leadership behaviors could be exposed. Preached the importance of work-life balance, but this was a lie too. Consistently found ways to not compensate the sales force for their work. Consistently forced to make poor decisions that sacrificed long-term success and stability for the sake of "hitting this month." Everyday, I wait for a call from the SEC asking me to make a statement regarding the activities I witnessed firsthand.

Advice to Management

Learn the art of respect and appreciation. Work on strategic vision, not tactical behaviors. Don't be the enemy of your employees. If there is an issue, make sure to ask the right questions to the right people. Your middle management team has proven they are willing to lie and hurt employees in an effort to hide their actions.

Dun & Bradstreet2017-03-29

"Account Executive"

Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits. A fair amount of flexibility.

Cons

New business targets unattainable. Comp plans change every year. Mid level management is out of touch. Moral is low due to continuous lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at mid level management and ask yourself what they really bring to the table.

Dun & Bradstreet2016-11-29

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay with good benefits.

Cons

Too many products that are not user friendly and dilute the value proposition. The competition is catching them off guard.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing their employees. Most client facing employees spend more time doing internal reporting than they do generating sales. That is a problem.

Dun & Bradstreet2015-08-25
  7. "Starts great but burns out"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good training. Good product.

Cons

Management is OK.

Advice to Management

Needs to be positive reinforcement. They need to focus on what reps really want, basically focus on caring about the employees.

Dun & Bradstreet2014-07-15
  8. "Kept in the Dark until the plug is ready to be pulled."

Sales Representative in Atlas, MI

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet

Pros

Good knowledge-share within the company. Comp plan very aggressive with decent base. Flexible work environment. Product is superior to nearest competitor which makes it a good lead to sell services.

Cons

Promised a lot of support but management never provided the tools needed to do the job. Money should be invested in marketing and growth but unfortunately, D&B is focused on protecting shareholders by reducing staff. Currently undergoing major restructuring and will continue to lose valuable people to competition.

Advice to Management

Senior management should give support by providing lead-gen tools in order for sales team to perform. Leaving your sales teams with no marketing budget nor warm leads will spell doom quickly, hence why new business is down and will continue to decline.

Dun & Bradstreet2010-07-12

"Good money - lotta pressure!"

Sales Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Dun & Bradstreet

Pros

If you meet your sales goals; you are very well compensated with montly bonus(s). I feel that upper management (outside of the sales office) puts huge pressures on the managers within the center to threaten the sales staff about loosing their jobs. We were reminded almost daily that our jobs are easily replaceable, and the "share holders" don't want anyone here that was not making the goal. I was the top performer,... and with that comes constant pressures to maintain, and exceed each month. At the end of each month - EVERYONE forgot what you did the month before. It was a lot of pressure.

Cons

Enormous amount of pressure to meet sales goals, and relentless reminders that you’re job will be compromised if sales goals are not met.

Advice to Management

Keep your sales staff happy. They're the reason you have share holders. Make them mad, and expect it in your financials.

Dun & Bradstreet2008-12-27
  10. "Interesting work, great co-workers, but fear of job loss is the primary motivator applied by management"

Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dun & Bradstreet

Pros

Work can be very interesting and many co-workers are top notch people. A 167 year old company with huge potential and a leadership position in business content gives you an edge in the marketplace.

Cons

Short term focus; management by fear and decree; a decline in content quality caused by an almost solely automated content quality measurement process designed to tell management what they want to hear. The anwers you get depend on the way you ask the question; not necessarily the way clients experience the company.

Advice to Management

Focus more on long-term and people not just quarterly earnings. Recent happenings in the market show what happens when you don't think ahead and when you don't value the people who make you the money.

Dun & Bradstreet2008-10-06