Duncan Aviation Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2020

4.2
Duncan Aviation President Aaron C. Hilkemann (no image)
Aaron C. Hilkemann
Pros
  • "Specific aircraft tooling is usually available from the tool room(in 10 reviews)

• "Great place to work very friendly people(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "And there is lesser value placed on the efforts of other departments that don't work directly on aircraft because of course(in 5 reviews)

• "Pay is below the industry standard(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Best company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - FBO Customer Service representative in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at Duncan Aviation full-time

Pros

They truly care for their employees well-being, I wish I would have started working for Duncan years ago. Great training, Great support from management and co-workers, Accommodating to home life balance, wonderful benfits. They have a free gym available to employees and their immediate family.

Cons

I've not found one, I love Duncan Avaiation.

June 12, 2020Human Resources Manager

Wow! Thank you so much for the positive review! I am so glad that you have had such a positive experience since joining the Duncan Aviation team. Our company has been successful for 60+ years because of the people that work here. Our leaders fully understand that our exceptional team members set us apart from the rest. That said, we do have a high priority focus on team member training and development (both on and off the job). I have worked for the organization going on 10 years and I still feel the compassion and support from our senior management. Thank you again for the review! Welcome to the team, and here's to many more years!

2. "Best Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Aircraft Painter in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at Duncan Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company truly cares about their employees! Goes out of their way to help employees feel great about their jobs.

Cons

As with any large companies, there are 500+ employees and bad apples DO get hired in. One bad attitude can affect team play.

December 3, 2019Human Resources Manager

Hey, thank you so much for the positive review!! I love working at Duncan Aviation and I'm glad to hear you have a similar experience! As a growing company, our Senior Leaders definitely attribute our success to our amazingly talented team members. As such, we constantly look at new and innovative programs we can implement to recognize and motivate our employees; both individually and on a team level. The organization does have a fairly rigorous selection process; however, it is true that "bad apples" can slip through the cracks here and there. Just a reminder, you can take advantage of our referral bonus and get paid when other rock star team members are hired! Thank you for your service with Duncan Aviation and this review!

3. "It’s a good company"

Former Employee - Paint Technician in Battle Creek, MI

I worked at Duncan Aviation full-time

Pros

They will teach you if your not experienced

Cons

Needs better leadership, could never get a real answer if I had a question.

July 8, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you had a positive experience while you were with us. Team member growth and development is an important piece of our culture. Whether you are brand new to the role or a seasoned team member, everyone has an opportunity to learn something that advances their career! This allows us to hire for all levels of experience and help team members continue to feel challenged at work. If you have questions you feel like you have not received answers for, please reach out to me at Leon.Holloway@duncanaviation.com. Thank you again for taking the time to leave this review! I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

4. "Software Developers - Gain Experience and Leave"

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Duncan Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the best people I have worked with, work at Duncan Aviation, and a lot of them are still friends to this day. As a developer you are not in the shop near the mechanics often but when you go over there, you can still easily make friends. Double thumbs up to Jeff Lake and Jamie Harder, you're both awesome to work with, and really know how to run the business. I did not see the issues with senior management that some of the reviews here posted about. The Duncan family do a lot for the company, community, and are part of the daily activities at the jobsite. All in all they're great people!

Cons

There is a very tiny development team compared to most other companies. Not that this in itself is bad, but keep that in mind when looking for a position here. The middle management in information technology has been there too long and mix their egos into their work. It is very unattractive. If you do not understand how to deal with people or are not aware of who you are and how you act, which affects others daily, you shouldn't be in that position. Plus the pay is pretty rough. It's ok if you just starting out but not much career growth unfortunately.

February 27, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and thank you for your service with Duncan Aviation! Something that separates Duncan Aviation from the rest is our culture and values that stem directly from the Duncan family. I'm glad that you noticed that while you were here too! As an organization, we strive to provide ongoing training and development opportunities to all team members; including leadership development. If you have specific concerns, or suggestions for improvement, please contact me directly at Leon.Holloway@duncanaviation.com. Thank you again for taking time to leave a review. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors!

"Great job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I have been working at Duncan Aviation full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Lots of experience to earn. They offer further education and great training opportunities.

Cons

Cost of living in Utah has sky rocketed in the past 5 or 6 years and the company hasn't adjusted there pay scale to meet the cost of living. You tend to starve here if you're paying rent for a 1 bedroom apt. Extremely difficult to find a home under 200k.

February 14, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thanks for taking time to leave a review! I'm glad that your experience at our Provo location has been positive! I mean, the views are something, right??! Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding cost of living in the area. Our compensation team routinely performs wage comparisons and cost of living tests to ensure our wages remain in-line with the market. I'll share this feedback with that team! I'm glad you are taking advantage of the other benefits that make up our total compensation package. Knowledgeable team members make us who we are as an organization and we strive to offer a wide variety of technical and soft skill training programs. Thanks again for your review and your service to Duncan Aviation!

"Overall good place, but each department is horribly pigeon-holed"

Current Employee - Airframe Mechanic in Battle Creek, MI

I have been working at Duncan Aviation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The relocation assistance package was decent. Specific aircraft tooling is usually available from the tool room. (This is a great "bonus" compared to working at a manufacturer service center than NEVER had proper tooling.) Considering how many airframes Duncan services, this is actually pretty impressive. If the tooling isn't onsite, then it's brought in from other Duncan facility. Duncan is all about "continuous improvement". Although there are some areas I see it needed and nothing has been done, I have seen the "continuous improvement" philosophy played out in job roles. For example, if a team lead is not performing their duties as expected, they will be removed from that position (and put back in a mechanic position) so someone better may fill the role. Also, if someone is really creating problems on the team and being a really "bad apple", they will be let go. Upper management makes every effort to coach people well ahead of time to let them know they're not performing as expected, so everyone has a chance to improve before corrective action is taken. The Battle Creek facility is really nice and it's amazing the detail of work that is done (such as complete interior refurbishment).

Cons

Pay isn't the best compared to the industry (I took a pay cut from my previous employer in a similar role to come here), but I guess for the Battle Creek area, it's pretty decent. As an A&P mechanic, you will only utilize one of your certificates (not both) in whatever department you work. Airframe department (like other departments) is horribly pigeon-holed in what tasks they perform. After working at an another MRO and aircraft manufacturer service center, coming to Duncan has been a huge shock in what tasks I "can" and "can't" do as an Airframe mechanic. Tasks I've done at other maintenance facilities (all power plant work, wheel/tire breakdown and replacements, flight control balancing, fuel bay inspections, windscreen hydrophobic coating restoration, interior removal/installation, etc.) are all things that are delegated to other departments (even if they are still "airframe" related). The ONLY way to utilize your A&P to its fullest is to move around to multiple departments in your time at Duncan. Employees must remain in their current role for 6 months and may apply for other departments, which they may or may not be able to transfer. Although this seems pretty benign, for someone who's worked at other maintenance facilities, the departmental structure is rather limiting and impeding to being a more well-rounded mechanic from the get-go. Most people at Duncan have lived in the area their whole lives and have never worked anywhere else, so they seem to be happy with the set-up. I guess this is personal preference based on what you're used to. Training is non-existent like most everywhere in the industry. As far as OJT and working with a mentor or someone directly, you may or may not get that experience (depending on what team you're on). It adds insult to injury when your team lead says multiple times he's going to pair you up with someone and never does. They do "classes" that they send people to, but only certain people are selected for those and who knows how the selection process works. Other maintenance facilities I've worked had "free stock" bins/stations of common non-structural hardware (screws, washers, etc), but Duncan doesn't have this. Instead, 20 minutes is wasted searching the IPC for a simple screw that I could have just grabbed from a free-stock bin. I've heard excuses of cost, part traceability, etc., but its ridiculous. Pay at the Provo location is the same as the other locations, which is TERRIBLE considering the cost of living in Utah is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than Nebraska or Michigan. Duncan has made excuses as to why they won't up the Provo pay scale to compensate for cost of living. I've spoken to many people who wanted to go, but wouldn't because of they can't afford it (myself included). Duncan has tried to build the Provo location, but I think until they adjust the pay, many people will chose not to go.

December 13, 2019Human Resources Manager

Thank you for taking time to provide a review! Duncan Aviation continues to remain on the leading edge in the industry due in part to our tireless continuous improvement efforts. These initiatives are definitely not completed in a vacuum and if you are interested, take a look at joining the Lean team! At Duncan Aviation, we highly encourage team members to spend time in different departments to get a good feel for everything the company does and to expand on their own skill set. We do ask that team members spend at least 6 months in a department to get a comprehensive experience, and because training can be costly. There are multiple training opportunities available, both on-the-job and classroom learning. If you believe you have not been afforded proper training, or have questions on how to enroll in training sessions, please reach out to me directly at Leon.Holloway@duncanaviation.com, or 402-479-1545. I'd be happy to help you!Thank you again for taking the time to leave this review and for your service with Duncan Aviation!

7. "Good place to work! Family friendly and flexible."

I have been working at Duncan Aviation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Back in 08-09 they took the appropriate measures to insure a majority of people could keep there jobs while other Repair stations had to lay off several hundred employees and or even close there doors. Which I am thankful for.

Cons

There are a lot of people that have been there for several years and take their jobs for granted. They don’t like change and complain about everything. I myself have adapted to the managers changes. I figure I have many more years to go. The changes have improved the shops numbers. Some people need a wake up call, So they can realize the job they have isn’t so bad after all. It does seem like we do have a lot of overhead now days more than ever. Us on the floor are held accountable for the everything we do. From what I am told some of the office jobs are pretty laid back and they are not held accountable for any of the work they do. And they get paid a pretty good salary. They also have a hard time finding good workers. So the people they do have that are less than a couple of years of experience and they don’t want to loose. They are handing out money to them left and right. The newer employees salary’s is not very far from someone that has 15 years plus of service. The old timers are not getting their far share of the money being given out. If anyone is under paid it would be the team leaders, they are the back bone of the company. They deal with the most BS of anyone. Give those team leaders some money they are underpaid. A good team leader makes a good team.

August 6, 2019Human Resources Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! With your long tenure with Duncan Aviation, you have definitely witnessed a lot of changes over the years! As an organization, we make mindful decisions to ensure a sustainable future for our team members and the entire organization. That includes setting expectations for team members in all roles and implementing innovative changes that will have a positive impact for our continued success. We continue to review our team member recognition strategies and I appreciate your feedback! We will take your suggestions into consideration. Thank you again for your review and your service with Duncan Aviation!

8. "Excellent work environment"

Current Employee - Airframe Mechanic in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Duncan Aviation full-time for less than a year

Pros

-The other employees are very friendly and easy to work with -The company is well laid out, with set processes -The work environment is laid back -It is clearly communicated what is expected of you -Duncan cares a lot about their employees, and the managers are very friendly

Cons

-In the summer, it can be pretty warm in the hangar, but there are electrolyte drinks provided to alleviate the heat

July 25, 2019Human Resources Manager

Hey! Thank you so much for leaving a review! I love working at Duncan Aviation and I'm glad that you are having a great experience too! We pride ourselves on our family-style culture where we all truly care about each other and celebrate victories (both at work and outside of work). We are able to maintain that culture through team members such as yourself! Thanks again for your service to Duncan Aviation and for leaving this positive review! Stay hydrated and enjoy the electrolyte drinks!

"Duncan aviation"

2.0
    Current Employee - Engine Line

I have been working at Duncan Aviation full-time

Pros

Great first A&P job coming out of school. Moving bonus

Cons

Low pay for the area you’re in they do not compensate for high cost of living in Utah.

July 25, 2019Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your service with Duncan Aviation and for taking the time to leave a review! We employ some of the best Technicians in the industry, which makes our hangars a great place for new A&Ps to perfect their trade. With our wide variety of locations and services, Duncan Aviation is also a great place to grow a long-term career! We understand compensation is an important aspect for future and current team members. As a result, we regularly review our total compensation package to ensure we remain competitive in the industry and in our various geographic locations. I'm sorry you do not recommend Duncan Aviation as an employer of choice. I would be happy to discuss your concerns. Please contact me directly at Leon.Holloway@duncanaviation.com. Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review.

10. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Duncan Aviation full-time

Pros

Fast paced, fun and friendly.

Cons

None. It is nice to work there.

June 4, 2019Human Resources Manager

Thank you for the review! We pride ourselves on our collective strong work ethic; but also like to have fun while we are at it! Thanks for being part of the Duncan Aviation team!

Found 76 reviews