Dunelm Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 4, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Browett

Pros
  • friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too (in 9 reviews)

• Slightly above average rate of pay for a retail job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The Belfast store is particularly disorganised, feeding from a track record of workers being thrown into the deep end with no training (in 8 reviews)

• Not enough staff , management don't always see how tricky it is with customers and not enough staff on shop floor (in 7 reviews)

1. "Confusing"

Pros

Reasonable salary able to attract good quality staff

Cons

Hard to understand what the company wanted no clear direction or leadership with various senior managers wanting to do things their way

Advice to Management

Set your stall out early doors. Ensure your team is clear and that everyone is focused on the same goals

"Not the worst job I've had"

Pros

Will accept people with little or no work experience.
    Rota was determined at least 2 weeks in advance so few surprise shifts.

Cons

Training was lacking.
    On the odd occasion a rota change was made at short notice, you weren't notified, just expected to look at the board every single shift to check.
    No breaks in a 6 hour shift standing in front of a computer screen, occasional meander to put returned goods back.
    Don't want to work more hours? It's part of your contract to work up to 25% extra of your contracted hours.
    Senior staff (with the odd exception) were rude and condescending.
    The tills are in poor condition and running an old system. Scanning in items can be a nightmare and doing anything out of the ordinary can be confusing.

Advice to Management

Training booklets only work if training is continually given. You cannot expect people to learn an entire store, the till system, everyone's names, etc in a single day.
    Invest in your younger staff, give them true opportunities to grow.
    Invest in a better till system, it will speed up transactions and reduce queues when you're busy. Bigger till space would also be great, you sell some large items that you can't even put on the counter.
    Train your managerial staff to treat even the lowest team member with dignity and respect. Without your cleaners and till staff, you've got a smelly shop making no money.

"Good first retail job"

I worked at Dunelm part-time

Pros

I enjoyed the staff members I worked with. And speaking with elderly customers. I also enjoyed everyone had a set section.

Cons

After I was really sick and admitted to hospital, I was called back into work before a my recovery period had ended. I had proper sick notes from doctors, and as well as hand written letters supporting me. They took me into a review because I was in my probation period and missed 2 weeks of work on a 16 hour contract - due to being in hospital and almost going into surgery. We had agreed on reason adjustments - they had to give me by law because I had a long standing health condition. When it was time to have those adjustments put in place on my first shift they were all nullified by the store manager (who was off sick herself when my review was being held) who said they didn't uphold because she wasn't there whilst in took place and if I called in sick one more time, I didn't have a job - she shouted this down me to the phone. Even though I had never met her.

Advice to Management

Don't shame and discriminate. Don't share your life story with staff members.

5. "Review follow up - two years on from last review."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place for sticking with this company for 5+ years now. Not for lack of trying to get a new job though.

It hasn't improved since my last review a few years ago, we are still overworked and underpaid. New processes in place that are supposed to make the job easier are okay in theory but in practice don't work.

Customer services duties have doubled recently with the so called reserve and collect system, and the farce that is customer orders, unfortunately the staffing levels haven't doubled, which means that you spend your shift chasing your tail and doing the work of two people for a pretty poor hourly rate.

The only pros for me is working with some great colleagues who have been there since the start like me, and an extra weeks holiday for being there over five years.

Cons

See second and third paragraph above.

Also your holidays are constantly rejected due to things like sale set up, de-sale, new merchandise set up and stocktake which changes date every year. It's bad enough that there's eight weeks of the year that you can't get holidays as it is without all that as well.

In the last twelve months we have had three longstanding members of staff leave for new jobs, people don't tend to do that when they are happy at work. Also some staff are on maternity leave and I personally feel that they would be mad to come back to the stress of the job as well as look after young babies, as management do not make allowances for anyone's personal life because as far as they are concerned Dunelm comes above all else.

To be fair to the management in my particular store, they are all grafters and do their fair share of the hard work when required. They do make you feel appreciated, although they also are quick to come down on you when you make a mistake.

Advice to Management

Shift rotas need to be up three weeks in advance as despite what some of you think, we do have a life outside of work. Please stop changing people's days around, I realise that we have to cover for colleagues on holiday and off sick but we all have commitments at home.

Holiday requests need a faster turnaround.

People in Head Office who implement new procedures need to see them working on the shop floor themselves instead of sitting on their comfy chairs behind a screen.

"HOURS"

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great staff, good products.

Cons

manager doesnt listen to hours that you can and cant work, the head office dont care andit is so stressful.

"New management - so new review"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Frontline staff and team managers are friendly & supportive.
    Good staff discount of 15%.
    Contact Centre facilities are good.

Cons

New senior management mock staff behind their backs, often within earshot of other employees.
    Rotas can be given out less than 1 week in advance.
    There is a clear move away from the customer focused approach which made the job enjoyable, now it is clear management only care about the bottom line.
    Half the staff have either left or are leaving soon, leaving the place greatly understaffed. We are getting further behind on the workload every single day which only results in unhappy customers.

Advice to Management

The approach taken to customer service did not need to change. A focus on improving systems elsewhere in the company to enhance the customer experience would have been far more cost effective.
    Staff need to be given more freedom and treated with respect from senior management. That way not as many people would be jumping ship.

8. "Average"

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Swansea, Wales (UK)

Pros

Staff discound, good rate ph

Cons

Small contract holidays sunday-saturday, payed wrong numerous times

9. "A disappointing experience overall"

Former Employee - Analyst in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you work in a large department with a high turnover you don't have to be good at the job to get ahead, in fact it you stick it out you will be promoted even without merit.
    Leadership do tend to try to listen albeit flip flopping initiatives at ever round of exec changes is hard to deliver on as it cancels out the previous years work.
    Canteen
    Shareshave scheme

Cons

Promotions are not based on merit rather based in who hasn't moved on.
    Key departments have a musical chair system where you learn an area and move to the next leaving all issues behind for someone else new to try and sort.
    Notoriously stingy salaries for most departments.
    Lack of competent middle management use a lot of buzz words to distract and apportion blame elsewhere.

Advice to Management

If someone isn't great at their role then don't promote them for the sake of it. Bring in better quality staff with experience. Excellence breeds excellence, poor performance promotions don't

"Progression, good, hours worked, bad"

Pros

Plenty of scope for progression, Safe employment

Cons

Will work you very hard. Take contracted hours with a pinch of salt. Lot of high level politics in play and a lot of modernisation still to go.

"It's okay for a temp job but...."

Pros

more than minimum wage?
    Co-workers were nice to work with.

Cons

Communication problems between managers
    Understaffed
    Rota's changed without notice
    Delayed / incorrect wages paid, happens often
    Blame culture