Dunelm Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Dunelm Chairman Andy Harrison
Andy Harrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 15% Staff discount (and extra discount once a year) (in 16 reviews)

• Dunelm is a great place to work started part time on customer service working my way up to asm great development opportunities (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours for not fantastic pay (in 11 reviews)

• You get no training and are just thrown in to the job (in 11 reviews)

1. "Ok, if a little behind the times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syston, Leicestershire, East Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere between colleagues.
    Modern Building
    Nice Cafe

Cons

Behind the times compared to others.
    Look down on you if you only work your hours and don't come in early and stay late.
    Pay is lower than similar companies.

"I thought I'd be with Dunelm for years..."

I have been working at Dunelm part-time

Pros

I was placed in a department that really suited me.
    Work with a great team of people.

Cons

Despite my interest in my department, there is absolutely no health and safety, and absolutely no care from management.
    So many staff are suffering long-term injuries caused on the job.
    Too few staff employed for work load.
    Frowned on getting on well with colleagues.

Advice to Management

Care about your staff!
    If there is injury or illness, do what you can to help i.e. switch department or change hours.
    Employ enough people to run the store properly.
    Encourage staff to get on; it makes for a better atmosphere!

3. "sales assistant"

I have been working at Dunelm part-time

Pros

large store, potential to move round departments

Cons

poor management, staff discount, long hours

Advice to Management

more professionalism, care and considerate for staff members

"Avoid Working Here!"

I have been working at Dunelm part-time

Pros

Get along with most people quite well, I have made some great friends here.

Wage slightly higher than minimum.

Cons

This company has gone downhill since I first started!
    Rotas are very unorganised, managers booking too many people off on the same day/week. Will put you in on extra days without asking you if its okay.

There some sales assistants and team leaders who don't put any work in, yet take all the credit! One person there has made me feel quite uncomfortable working with them. They shout at me and say negative things about me to other colleagues behind my back.

We are very understaffed and overworked, people don't stay here for long. It has put me under a lot of pressure, as we are a very busy store.

Customers are not so nice, I never see such mean attitudes from customers in other brand stores!

No proper training, been here several years and I still don't feel confident with some things. You're usually just left to your own devices, I have asked time and time again about getting more support but nothing has happened.

Advice to Management

Please, Please listen to your colleagues! I feel like I can't approach anyone about these issues, the company don't seem to take criticism very well. Understand that criticism is good for improvement. Managers should take a stand to those who don't pull their weight and leave the jobs for everyone else. Also need to be more actively involved in individual development, so that we all feel confident in our work.

"Customer Service Advisor- reputation and quality of service is declining"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Radcliffe, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Radcliffe, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

15% discount card
    Bike to work scheme

Cons

Impersonal/cold culture
    Strict lateness/absence policy which rarely allows for mitigating circumstances.
    Recognition/reward of colleagues is none existent.
    Overtime is rare and at standard pay
    Disciplinary around sickness/absence - investigations are like police interviews. Long, drawn out and overly analytical and intrusive.
    HR is faceless and offsite which makes it easier for management to lose the personal touch on many issues.
    Team/site social gatherings are are rare. There is little interaction to get to know your colleagues due to call volume pressures and a drive to get people back on the phone as quick as possible after a call.
    Team meetings and ongoing training off the floor is difficult because the contact centre does not have the staff numbers to maintain the quality targets around calls.
    Differing levels of advisor training on rollout means unfair standards/targets are being applied to colleagues without a level playing field.
    Contact centre cannot absorb much sickness/absence and it has a serious effect on workloads of remaining colleagues.
    Over-focus on taking calls as a marker of quality without fully addressing the time/work/resolutions that need to be done from those calls. Very little admin time is given to get existing cases closed.
    Call waiting times for customers are increasing
    Simple process fix feedback that is given from advisors is not acknowledged or applied. This is due to senior management having their own agendas and very little dialogue or involvement from senior management with front line. There is a huge disconnect between what customers are telling advisors they want and what Management are deciding to focus on.
    Discriminatory handling of discipline procedures by senior managers onsite. I've seen fabricated reasons to dismiss people, all to protect another manager going through an investigation and to keep a lid on it. Recently heard of an opportunistic dismissal to get rid of a colleague who often acted as an unofficial union rep. Basically they sacked the person as they were a thorn in the side. They want a staff they can manipulate and don't question anything.

Poor Communications system - use a twitter like feed on the CRM system

Advice to Management

Engage better with your people.
    Listen to what your people are telling you and how to help make processes better. You've let too many things get out of hand that could have been remedied sooner. Get your heads out of excel spreadsheets and number targets and focus on the customer.
    Customers want ownership of a problem. They like to deal with the same person not a different person each time they call. They want advisors to be given the opportunity to resolve their issues and call them back. Not make false promises of call backs because they are pushed to get back on the phone. They appreciate managers who will get on the phone to them when an advisor does not have the authority to do what they are asking. They don't like evasive 3 way conversations through advisors with said manager, that then protracts and inflames a situation further. It could have been progressed quickly and easily if willing to tackle issues head on.
    Your customer service operation is not big enough to manage the tsunami of issues that have come about from purchasing a struggling company. It has effected call centre volumes and waiting times, backlogs of email contacts, the reputation of the Dunelm brand is being effected. You've bitten off more than you can chew and you haven't got the capability or resource to make changes fast enough.
    You would reduce a tonne of complaints and set better expectations if the website and courier comms were clearer, more honest and concise on a number of easily amended info.
    Particularly on courier/delivery/returns/collections information.
    Get a solution sorted related to notifications to customers about deliveries that aren't going to happen for furniture. People are spending a lot of money and taking time off to accept items. It has a knock on effect if they have problems with delivery. They need clear, concise info about their orders. When you don't tell them or keep them in the dark you get more complaints.

"Poor company to work for"

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many...
    staff discount
    Friendly colleagues to work with

Cons

Many cons working at Dunelm...
    Rotas put up late and changed quickly without any notice via text, call or email to colleagues

Expected to work midnight shifts even if you don't drive a car or have adequate transportation

Shocking managers who abuse colleagues working rights and health and safety rights

Expected to work beyond your finished shift

Holidays nearly always declined (got my first holiday coming up this year in OCTOBER!)

Poor support for colleagues and expected by management to work till death

Advice to Management

Please communicate with colleagues and try to at least make some positive changes to the store. Staff are low because of working so hard and being spread so thinly on different departments. Also look into the health and safety of the warehouse for delivery staff as its horrible and unsafe to work in.

7. "Customer Assistant"

I worked at Dunelm part-time

Pros

The hours were flexible and the pay was okay.

Cons

The manager did not treat me or the rest of the team with respect.

8. "Rotas. No respect given."

Current Employee - Sales in Barnsley, South West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Barnsley, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are cool, made friends.

Cons

For me and many others its the rotas, it feels like it changes every day and its not on, last meeting we had we were told if any change are to happen we will be told, no few days later happened again. Happens all the time, people getting put in on days off to without being asked. For me I am back to work tomorrow after being off last 11 days, i knew my rota for tomorrow on wards, and for tomorrow I am put down for 4:30-8:30, but on 29th rota has changed again and im now done for 12-8:30, not been contacted or anything by work, even though they know i have been off and there expecting me to know this, so I am going in tomorrow at 4:30 like i had cause this is not on, think rest my week been changed to. Honestly cant be bothered anymore, i work so hard, and like everyone else, get treated like (nice word) poo. not on.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff sorted, in my time working at Dunelm, so many people have left cause of rotas and hours, so many more say to me they want to leave cause of rotas and hours, and me well.... we shall see if ANYTHING will be done, and see what happens tomorrow, the rota said start at 4:30, so i will, they want to change knowing iv been off and have no respect to let me know, AGAIN cause this is not first time.

9. "Clique"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Dunelm full-time

Pros

Pay is competitive, get first dibs on good bargains, more benefits after 5 years,

Cons

Opportunities are rare and not fairly given, managers have there favourites, takes as long 10 months to get holiday signed off and they often quibble over it, staff discount isn't much at 15%, never enough staff.

Advice to Management

Look after staff morale and they look after you back.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Cramlington, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Cramlington, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice staff, lovely product, my manager is great. Excellent sales. Good range of products. Sell good quality goods. Made to measure service excellent.

Cons

Want blood out of stone, Regional managers never come to say well done only to say why aren't you doing better!

Advice to Management

Stop treating staff like idiots