Dunelm Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 14, 2017

4.0
John Browett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Slightly above average rate of pay for a retail job (in 6 reviews)

• friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Credit taken by management which is done by retail assistants and team leaders (in 11 reviews)

• The Belfast store is particularly disorganised, feeding from a track record of workers being thrown into the deep end with no training (in 9 reviews)

1. "Accountancy Intern"

Pros

Interesting and complex work for an Intern

Cons

Work was sometimes repetitive for an Intern

2. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

Pros

Flexibile with University whilst being part time

Cons

Some training parts could be better

"Changing Times #corevalues&principles"

Current Employee - Management in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have seen Dunelm go through many many changes, some embraced some not. Keeping the core values/principles in mind you won't go wrong if you have drive and ambition to lead from the front, make decisions, embrace change and respect each other. All of which is made easier by networking both internally and externally and can be key to a long career

Cons

My Pro Statement at times has been difficult to follow and achieve. Focus, determination has been for the majority self led, zoning in on those that display the core values and principles has been critical in my career path even if at times this has meant bypassing my direct manager/s.

Opportunities are not always clear.
    Structure can be somewhat disorganised.
    Some of the management don't always show, display, and drive the core values and principles and it seems to go unnoticed
    Middle management engagement is low

Advice to Management

Change often brings unrest however good management of change would make things easier.
    Stability in management who display the core values and principles would be far more beneficial than those who can talk the talk.
    Believe in those that work hard regardless of length of service
    Engage the middle management team

4. "Fast paced, always lots to do, but a fun work environment"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor (18 Years Old) in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor (18 Years Old) in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have met a few good friends working here.
    The pay for my age (18 to 21) is significantly over national minimum wage.
    Good team.

Cons

Rotas don't always work.
    More staff is sometimes needed

Advice to Management

Solid management.
    There is a fair balance for working and having a laugh.

"Still there!!"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too. Better rate of pay per hour than other local retailers. Chance to progress for those keen to do so. Extra little incentives given for those who work well

Cons

Can be hard work when short staffed. Sometimes more positive conversations would be nice especially when we are really busy and already working our socks off! Some staff get away with things that others wouldn't like...going to their phone in the locker room on a regular basis, wearing jeggings or jeans and generally shirking their duties

Advice to Management

Clamp down on those that bend the rules as this has a negative effect on other colleagues that follow the rules. More praise given where praise is due. Give more colleagues the chance to use their common sense instead of stating the obvious to them..like saying "what are you doing, are you doing delivery or working the bins?" when it is blatantly obvious we are working delivery as we are stood there with the totes in front of us and also common sense says work delivery first, bins later

"review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

Pros

face paced & exciting place to work, lots of opportunities for training and progression

Cons

staff pay is amongst the lowest in the industry even considering the location

Advice to Management

don't forget the current customers who have been loyal whilst chasing JLP etc shoppers

7. "Management"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent values. Customer is heart of the company

Cons

Workload. Budgets. Staff. People. Buyers.

Advice to Management

Budgets.

"Benefits of The Job - 11 years service"

Current Employee - General Manager in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm (More than 10 years)

Pros

I absolutely love working for the company, there is always opportunity to grow. The recruitment process has improved hugely meaning the candidates coming through to store are of a better quality. I have grown and developed so much from my role working for this company. Would recommend a career at Dunelm. Like any job it is fast paced and requires you to be able to work effectively under pressure. Great team! Hardest part of the job: managing a better work life balance, you get so caught up in the day to day you lose track of time. Learning product knowledge including availability is great, the information makes your job much easier and enhances customers shopping experience. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that your contribution is valued and also that hard work is acknowledged and appreciated.

Cons

Benefits: At Dunelm they offer a wide range of benefits for their employees however it could do with a second look.
    1. Christmas TLs and Management work a tremendous amount of overtime over Christmas and although yes it's paid for TLs I'm not sure it is for management. Where's the Christmas spirit? Some businesses allow a few days off eg. Asda tescos... Not Dunelm. Your lucky you are still able to have Xmas day off! If you book a holiday in enough time say a year in advance they may left you have New Year's Day or Xmas day off.

2. Maternity pay, thinking of having a child is a huge thing for any mum to be. Looking at your finances is extremely scary. For someone in a role management or otherwise after a very long length of service to find out they receive 90% of their wage for the first 6 weeks then immediately go to SMP is outrageous. Until falling pregnant you felt valued. The time off with your baby will be short lived as you cannot afford to be off for much time at all as you have many bills to pay. No additional benefits for people who are committed to the business. After researching man at business's long service recieve better maternity benefits and the maternity package is far better as they value their colleagues. (Apple, Google, Tesco, Asda)

3. Work life balance - this is important in life however it's no balance at all working for Dunelm

Advice to Management

Allow more honest feedback instead of making colleagues feedback politically correct.

9. "Good people, great culture and even better progression"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are always opportunities to grow with Dunelm if you show that you're willing to progress and put in the effort.
    During my time with the business I have progressed from working as a part-time weekend colleague alongside my academic studies to a full time colleague in our Store Support function. Most of my training and development has been 'on the job' experience but more structured training is also available. As it's a relatively young business you're also afforded the opportunity to really shape your own future and that of the company. With a collaborative culture and a fun working environment it really is a great place to work.

Cons

The overall benefits package is something that could be improved
    Other than that there is nothing more that I can think of.

"Good for a retail job"

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some great people
    Left with some valuable skills
    Great first job

Cons

Often left alone to make your own decisions - unclear leadership.
    The music is terrible.
    Not enough staff at times.

Advice to Management

Hire more/better quality people, change the music and don't be too serious in your job role.