Dunelm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Browett

Pros
  • Slightly above average rate of pay for a retail job (in 6 reviews)

• friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The Belfast store is particularly disorganised, feeding from a track record of workers being thrown into the deep end with no training (in 8 reviews)

• Head office don't know how staff are treated (in 7 reviews)

"Worst employment experience ever"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good product, decent staff discount, really really struggling here to get to 20 word minimum to be honest, that's just right

Cons

at any level within this organisation you are treated as a glorified shelf stacker. You are given no opportunity to develop sales or customer relationships. You are treated with distrust at every turn and are not given credible commercial information to react to. You are held accountable for things outside of your control. Very political organisation and a "face fits" environment.

Advice to Management

Sort out the way external people are welcomed and treated in the group. Actually credit people with intelligence to make decisions.

"Poor."

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unfortunately the main "Pro" that i can think of is that the work is easy and there is little pressure from the management to get more out of you and your employees. The hourly rate is very good for a store of this type and the ease of day to day life there. Also, as it is a reputable company it does look very good on someones C.V. which allows moving on easily.

Cons

No prospect of promotion, almost always hire from outside the company instead of promotion.
    The training is minimal, i personally have been there for 4 years, and have never been trained in ANYTHING other than how to use the tills. For example, checking stock, putting stock out etc.
    Staff brought in do not seem to know anything about the products that they are selling on their departments.
    Little job rotation, which leads to very low motivation to do my job well as i have nothing to work/strive for, as i will still be stood behind a till.
    Management are very rude, clear divide between the treatment on part-time staff to full-time staff. Management are also the first to complain when it comes to helping you with a customer or facing a customer at all, for example ignoring a ringing phone, sorting out a complaint. This puts less well trained individuals in CS in a bad spot when facing a customer.
    Takes months to sort out holiday bookings, and when asked i am faced with complaints about asking for time off, of which i am entitled. No real benefits from working for the store at all.
    Bad atmosphere while working, everyone seems to grind on each other.

Advice to Management

Sort yourselves out.

"detestable"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Colchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Colchester, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pros: lets see, their basic rate of pay though variable from store to store is higher than most basic retail jobs. Dunelm Mill Helpline always gave good advice and were easy to get through to and talk to. Excellent fire/ emergency training videos.

Cons

No information advertised in house about training programmes available. Many staff are never trained properly or correctly trained, especially concerning anything above the bare minimum of how to use a till or the handsets (HTTCs) The fabric and custom made departments severely lacked training. Even calling stores in my area didn't help as they hadn't been trained either and this is after talking to as many staff as possible at each store. Very little COSHH training, what there was was never done often enough. The schemes set to encourage employees to be the best they can be, do not often work as well as they could because its not large enough to make anyone think its attainable. I am a previous winner of several of those awards but can see how other colleagues and stores get frustrated that there is not enough motivation on a person level to encourage colleagues to attempt to win. Despite having even won awards personally and being a large part of making the departmental awards achievable, myself and many other colleagues always felt there was never any support or sense of pride from our various managers and store managers over the years. Any congratulations given were always given in a manner that made our achievements feel unimportant and barely noticed. Having a lack of personal drive is extremely detrimental to the employee and employer alike. Every store has a disproportionately limited numbers of staff compared to other retail stores. Many times many stores are permanently below the staffing standards set by Dunelm Mill. Personally i was on a 16 hour contract for three years and rarely worked below 25, this is often because i was rota'd in for extra hours even when i had asked not to be. On the many occasions i had serious complaints they weren't dealt with properly nor given a fair chance to explain my point of view. I was often victimised.

Advice to Management

I met many managers over my three years and very few of them had time for the personal cares of employees. a simple "good morning!" or "how are you?" every now and then, and then genuinely listening for the response, can do wonders for in house relationships working much more efficiently. Try to find a compliment to say to each employee over a month. even if its something really simple: "you've tidied that department really well, well done!" "you handled that difficult customer in a really positive professional way thats exactly what i like to see!" or even "nice tie!" if you have to reprimand a colleague over a small thing keep it to one minute and explain why what they were doing is detrimental and how it then makes you personally feel. this will encourage others to care about what you think, have respect for what you think and the person you've spoken to will be self-motivated to impress. If all managers from the CEO to the departmental managers are given basic retail psychology training such as this your business will improve.
    Advertise training schemes! the higher trained your staff are, then the efficiency of their work will improve. If one store has fantastic morale and another store nearby has very low morale, get the two stores to interact as much as possible, it will help.
    Get everyone interested in how the other areas of the company works, explain about what he average day at our main warehouses are like, a day in the cutting room, a day on the shop floor, a day at the helpline. get employees to write what its like in different areas and use a variety of those to explain what makes people that work there enjoy it. give everyone the chance to apply to see these things first hand.

5. "Not pleasant, no common sense from top to bottom"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Newport, Newport, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Range of Products in store is strong, friendly staff, good holiday entitlement and customer service is most of the time very good for customers.

Cons

Nowhere near enough staff, too hot in store, problems presented to management are not dealt with sufficiently and don't see to care about these problems, pay is not worthy, senior members of the store are very hypocritical regarding staff talking or slacking off, some members of staff are not treated equally to others and it seems management have their favourites who are often the worst members of staff, management have trouble trusting employees at any level, seem very tight or stingy in upgrading stores or store equipment such as more PC's or HHT's, the store often seems very tight and cramped due to all the stock in the middle of the floor. Not a great company to work for. You also can't have a social life and work for Dunelm, which they don't seem to understand. Staff in the store I work in also seem slightly racist and stubborn towards minorities.

Advice to Management

The store is open far too late on a weekday and shouldn't be open on every bank holiday, the company seems greedy and tight and look out for their interests and finances before the well-being of staff. If a colleague is off for a significant period of time due to a work-related illness, there is no compensation whilst off. We have to watch patronising and idiotic videos about everyday simple and obvious tasks over and over again, almost like the company thinks its employees lack any common sense. Some products too are very poor quality and are cheap and tacky from personal experiences.

6. "Glad i left."

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Telford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Telford, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people i worked with were lovely and i loved going to work because of the friendly atmosphere

Cons

the managers. When i say this i am serious, 2 of the managers i worked for were nasty. the other 2 were brilliant. The managers that were horrible, you almost had to be part of a clicky group to 'fit in', it was a vile place to work because of them and im not afraid to say i left because of them. Many other people left aswell so it wasnt just me.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding, even though your a manager and your doing well for yourself, we are all human and not machines. Be more open and let people know where they stand with you, dont let them just guess from day to day.

(this does not apply to all managers, there are brilliant managers out there who work for dunelm, this is just my own personal bad expirience with two managers)

"Terrible - Dunelm Mistreat Employees!"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE! TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK! WOULDN'T BOTHER WITH DUNELM!!!

Cons

If your face doesn't fit then don't expect to last long at Dunelm. They couldn't get anything against me which resulted in the management making up lies to terminate my contract. I worked in customer service and I can honestly say Dunelm don't value customers at all. Web orders never get delivered, complaints aren't handled in a professional manner and in training we was taught customers can be lairs and are generally never right. Terrible place to work. The conditions are horrible, the targets are unrealistic and if managers take a dislike to you then quit whilst you can. I acted as professional as possible due to a business background and still had fabricated slander spoken against me in an attempt to sack me. If you don't work extra hours unpaid then your name gets brought up at managers huddles and you will be on the dismissal list. Not many Dunelm employees are aware of that but the company are constantly looking for 'fresh meat' to bring in and 'old meat' to throw out. Daily work load is too much to get through but it's a must that you complete if you want to keep your job. Dunelm give basic training but not in depth. Much of the role will be left to the employee to figure out and one mistake means you will get pulled by management.

Personally I wouldn't advise anybody to even attempt working here unless you are insane. I never seen my family and I could still barely afford to pay the bills. Plus the stress was far too much. Bullying takes place from management to employees. Managers are unapproachable and there is no way of complaining about unfair treatment. Dunelm claim to be a friendly workplace but when I was there I witnessed managers being racist towards employees and when a complaint was made it was overlooked and the person on the receiving end of racisim lost their job. The same day as I lost my job their one of the managers wispered into my ear "we don't like you here, today you're gone!". Now this is the company I worked so hard for, did extra unpaid hours for and bent over backwards for. Never expect recognision because it won't work at Dunelm unlike in other companies. Dunelm love to use and abuse their employees. They see staff members as assets as a way of increasing profits. Honestly this is the worse plac I've ever worked! Wouldn't ever recommend Dunelm to anybody!

Advice to Management

Close every Dunelm store and send your employees to work for John Lewis (a real company).

"Do not think about their people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

Pros

Co workers / product / Training for Head Office Staff

Cons

Salary not competitive/No acknowledgment for the work done/Lack of social moral/ Poor staff incestives and poor staff discount

Advice to Management

Invest in people from the top and say hello to your employees when you walk by and not just go into your office!!! we work for you the least you can do is say hello

"A company who wants blood from their staff"

Pros

Good discount and great products

Cons

Too many tasks and not enough staff . Overloaded warehouses due to poor stock control from upper management.

Advice to Management

You need to be more generous with your payroll as every member of staff including management are totally stressed out with the extreme pressures of completing an impossible amount of tasks with little resources.

"Was great going down a profit over people path"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Rustington, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Rustington, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great staff great range of products easy to sell happy customers

Cons

Task to high no time for customers no respect for staff no work home life balance pay to low lost its family run feel .

Advice to Management

Get back the family run feel pay staff ie team leaders / management a proper competitive rate of pay more flexibility on wages longer to do task or don't put campain on top of each other etc I was 8 years with the company when I had had enough no one asked why I left . A conversation should of Been had !

"modern day slavery"

I have been working at Dunelm part-time

Pros

going home at the end of my shift, at the moment there are not many new jobs available, but new businesses are opening in the next 12 months, and 99.9% of staff waiting to apply, and leave.

Cons

for sales assistant, read donkey, spend a lot of time moving very heavy items, hand book recomendations are ignored by management, bullying manager, many complaints made by staff nothing done. greedy area managers who only have an interest in bonus, Dckens like attitude towards staff. Bad reputation at Job Centre.. breaks not taken as work would not be done, unrealistic amount of tasks, wages are a disgrace,extremely high staff turn over,

Advice to Management

you are as good as you 'floor' staff, and they leave in droves,as soon as other businesses move into the area, you will have no staff at all. Wages are a disgrace, consider living wage and not this very low hourly rate, STOP managers favorite staff getting extra hours, bonus system needs sorting, colleagues are not given hours because managers want their bonus, then work not done, and staff that are there are under stress, its a very unhappy place to work, Dunelm Acadamy is a complete joke, no training given to staff..... but lets tick the boxes eh?