Dunelm Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Dunelm Chairman Andy Harrison
Andy Harrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 15% Staff discount (and extra discount once a year) (in 17 reviews)

• Dunelm is a great place to work started part time on customer service working my way up to asm great development opportunities (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours for not fantastic pay (in 12 reviews)

• You get no training and are just thrown in to the job (in 11 reviews)

"Not the best work experience"

Pros

Most staff were quite pleasant to work with.
    On-site senior staff did do a good amount of work and weren't simply sitting down in the background somewhere.

Cons

* low wage compared to similar positions
    * boring place to work
    *staff discount is very low compared to other large chain stores in the UK.
    * consistenly having to leave 15-20mins after the shift was offically over
    * a 5 days of training at a hotel that lated about 4 hours each day. not much was learnt here and it seems more like a time to hand out printed documents and phamlets about some key products that would be sold. this could have been achieved in 1 day. meanwhile, real on-site training before the launch of the new store wasn't given as much importance.
    * high staff turn over
    *bringing in managers from others stores to help for a short period of time. as these people were only onsite for a few days, they were often quite impersonal and this caused a needlessly uncomfortable working environment.
    * senior managment were not that great at boasting morale

Advice to Management

* My finishing time was 6pm. However, I was often told to do extra tasks that would take 15-20mins more and would inevitably wind up leaving later. I was not asked if I could do over-time - I was commanded to do so and it was presumed I could do this. I believe it is more courteous and fair to ask if an employee is willing to work overtime. It feels much more like an unpleasant confrontation when you declined overtime than when you state you are not going to do X task what you were requested because you need to head home.

* Senior management didn’t seem to hand out praise evenly. It appeared popular members of staff who enjoyed a closer relationship with seniors than other employees had their achievements publically praised the most. Meanwhile, I noted workers who consistently provided good service, were friendly with other staff, showed up to work on time and often went above and beyond their roles did not really get the praised as should have been. Overall, praising staff members wasn’t done often though. I believe a staff of the week scheme where both senior and non-senior staff could vote from select nominees or something of the kind would have been a fair and very beneficial system. In a job where:

1) you do not work on commission

2) do not have any creative input

3) there are no performance-based bonuses

4) you are essentially not making that much money but making those in higher managerial positions and executive positions quite a bit richer through your hard work at selling a customer an item and/or providing a friendly service to partially ensure their return...

praising customers and providing incentives is even more essential. Not many non-senior employees are very motivated by the sheer fact that products need to sell to do their job to a consistently high level every single day (or the majority of days that they work). When you go into a shop and the assistants are gathered in a group talked and ignoring customers or not being attentive etc, it is not beyond the realms of the reality to believe that they are also somewhat disillusioned with the fact they are in job that doesn’t offer much satisfaction yet due to lack of incentives/recognition or higher wage they are not compensated for this.

* The searching of bags and coats/jackets after the end of work to check for stolen property. Whilst I was not completely opposed to this as I didn't have anything to hide, I did consider it unfair that those in senior/managerial positions were not searched along with us. It sent out a message that those not in senior roles could be viewed as potential suspects/thieves but management were seemingly presumed above stealing. Everyone should have been checked or no one at all.

* When I worked there was really high staff turnover rate. I believe that could partly be down to expecting workers to deliver a high standard of customer care and output yet work for a salary that's not entirely competitive. After a short time, it can get difficult to stay in a job that is quite physical, requires you to be on your feet all day and treat customers very well when you aren’t being compensated for it that well. I’m also sure the three previous points mentioned contributed to feelings of low-morale amongst those who walked too.

"Friendly Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nuneaton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nuneaton, England (UK)

Pros

Staff are all friendly towards each other, training was very good and got the chance to move and experience many departments.

Cons

Being retail, the hours we unsociable but that is nothing on Dunelm that is just retail in general and you know that when you take the job

"upper management make stupid decisions for shop floor, we run around like headless chickens"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Truro, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Truro, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

discount, great people to work with

Cons

Rota only available 7 days (maximum) in advance
    poor pay
    no additional pay for working nights
    upper management have no idea how the shop floor is run - at all

Advice to Management

You need to have rotas available at least a month in advance so that people are able to plan things in their own life, the rotas should be negotiable to a certain extent - people will try and be flexible if you are
    Upper management decisions are not thought through ie how can you keep the shelves stocked if we are not allowed in the stock room during the day

4. "Too rigid business structure"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Mansfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Mansfield, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lenient regarding shifts you can an cannot work, friendly staff and working environment. Staff discount is good and overall treatment regarding company to staff relations is good.

Cons

Management seem to have trouble trusting employees with carrying out tasks, and the company as a whole seems very rigid regarding change, especially towards the much needed reconstruction on how the business is delegated.

Advice to Management

Offer promotions not to those who many have previous experience, and on paper be the logical choice, choose the employee who is visibly hard working in store and wants to be noticed. I see the future of the company and its imminent threat of The Range etc.. is to move into Europe, perhaps firstly with fitting the arguable gap in France's market.

"Great stores, great products but not enough staff."

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training program, a high level of customer service is encouraged, as are in store charity events which can help bring teamwork and fun to the work place.

Cons

Not always well managed. When a complaint is made about staff or management it is rarely dealt with, or in fact, taken seriously. There is never enough staff. The training program is not used enough and there's not enough opportunity for promotion.

Advice to Management

More training for managers on how to deal with staff complaints and how to chose good team leaders.

"Worst employment experience ever"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good product, decent staff discount, really really struggling here to get to 20 word minimum to be honest, that's just right

Cons

at any level within this organisation you are treated as a glorified shelf stacker. You are given no opportunity to develop sales or customer relationships. You are treated with distrust at every turn and are not given credible commercial information to react to. You are held accountable for things outside of your control. Very political organisation and a "face fits" environment.

Advice to Management

Sort out the way external people are welcomed and treated in the group. Actually credit people with intelligence to make decisions.

"Are you a favourite?"

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

they really do try and fit your shifts around your life, as a student my timetable changes every few months and i occasionally get random lectures on my days off and they do understand and swap my days in without hassle.

Cons

the managers have favourites, if they dont like you, you get the worst/least amount of hours in a shift, you get the crappy jobs and if you accidentally do something wrong- even something minor they make a massive deal out of it and really talk down to you like you're an idiot.

Advice to Management

treat everybody equal, even if you dont personally like them but they are a good worker, dont talk to them like theyre an idiot if they do something wrong by accident.

"Not very well Organised"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, good team of Colleagues, can be quite flexible in terms of working hours

Cons

No contracts given, rota only available less than a week in advance, policies not adhered to, rota'd in without being consulted

Advice to Management

improve holiday processes, provide copies of staff contracts or at least show them what is in their supposed contract, provide collegue handbook. Work rotas further in advance, policies need improving and adhering to

"birlliant at times, awful at others"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the friendly nature of the taff was incredible to work with

Cons

poor pay, no trust in staff. management need more training.

Advice to Management

it feels like members of staff are not trusted what so ever, and they are constantly being looked after/over. if you want your staff to work well, then they need to know they are appreciated/trusted.

"Poor."

Current Employee - Floor Staff in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Floor Staff in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unfortunately the main "Pro" that i can think of is that the work is easy and there is little pressure from the management to get more out of you and your employees. The hourly rate is very good for a store of this type and the ease of day to day life there. Also, as it is a reputable company it does look very good on someones C.V. which allows moving on easily.

Cons

No prospect of promotion, almost always hire from outside the company instead of promotion.
    The training is minimal, i personally have been there for 4 years, and have never been trained in ANYTHING other than how to use the tills. For example, checking stock, putting stock out etc.
    Staff brought in do not seem to know anything about the products that they are selling on their departments.
    Little job rotation, which leads to very low motivation to do my job well as i have nothing to work/strive for, as i will still be stood behind a till.
    Management are very rude, clear divide between the treatment on part-time staff to full-time staff. Management are also the first to complain when it comes to helping you with a customer or facing a customer at all, for example ignoring a ringing phone, sorting out a complaint. This puts less well trained individuals in CS in a bad spot when facing a customer.
    Takes months to sort out holiday bookings, and when asked i am faced with complaints about asking for time off, of which i am entitled. No real benefits from working for the store at all.
    Bad atmosphere while working, everyone seems to grind on each other.

Advice to Management

Sort yourselves out.