Dunelm Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

2.7
Dunelm Chairman Andy Harrison
Andy Harrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Slightly above average rate of pay for a retail job (in 6 reviews)

• friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and work life balance is a challenge (in 9 reviews)

• The Belfast store is particularly disorganised, feeding from a track record of workers being thrown into the deep end with no training (in 9 reviews)

1. "Rotas!!!"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff very friendly and get along really well. Really great to have staff promoted from team leader position to assistant manager position especially when they are approachable and listen to anything you have to moan about. We have had new managers yet again and although constant change can be un- nerving at times all of our managers put in a lot of effort to make things run smoothly.

Cons

Issues with the rota are at times frustrating. It would be nice to have a more settled rota that suits everybody, and more notice would be good for any shift changes.
    It would also be nice if when colleagues are called via radio or tannoy by till staff they came. We are aware that they may be with a customer or are busy however we are front line dealing with customers and it can be quite awkward when left waiting for help and nobody replies/ helps it's not always possible to go and assist customers when the tills are busy or you are on your own.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff and get to know them, if you keep your staff happy in their work the rest falls into place. Sometimes all we want is a smile and a little personal acknowledgement.

2. "Sales assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Wrexham, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Wrexham, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hard working colleauges, good hours to suit. Great place to work, quailty store and great products on offer. Store manager and asssistant managers are great hard working and are not afraid to help out on the shop floor. Real great work done by all.

Cons

We are a little light on colleauges at the moment but we are working on that, something that will be sorted soon.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Retail Assistant"

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Saint Helens, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Saint Helens, West Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good relationship with all staff. Good Supervision.Family atmosphere between supervision and staff. Good with welfare issues.

Cons

I can't really give any negatives with regards to Dunelm. I spent a very happy 6 months there and received great support and guidance from the store manager and area manager. They really appreciated my flexibility

Advice to Management

Carry on the good work

"Underwhelming"

Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team
    Good hours when given
    Good environment
    Flexible rota
    Good cafe
    Good stock placement
    Good

Cons

Management loyalty, overworked and underpayed, chaotic, monotonous, stressfull, tumultuous and jarring experience.

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people that work there. The work is easy and achica, kiddicare and easy to learn

Cons

You have to get along with the managers to actually be treated like a human. I worked at the Peterborough call centre with the kiddicare shop below however when the company got in to £10 million of debt they decided to go into administration for 31 minutes so they could shrug off all of the outstanding invoices that the owed to companies (including small companies) once they had done that dunnelm bought the company and promised that all jobs were safe that was in the October I think then in the March we found out we were being made redundant and we're relocating the call centre to Manchester obviously this was loads to take in however they were really good about it all and helped us look for jobs they even had a colleague council team that would feed back info to us and let us know that was going on on top of that they got places to come in and tell us about their jobs and gave us 3 months notice and for that I salute them. However we were going through a consultation period meaning it wasn't deffo that we were going to be made redundant as it could be rejected but as we were in the consultation period they were already mergin people in Radcliffe and hiring people for the jobs. The whole situation was a mess and was done illegally. They offered 1 day off work if you decided to love and were going to give £700 to help you out however I said from day one that they only wanted us trained people for the knowledge and would then get rid of you. Consequently the people that have relocated aren't lasting now that they have all of the knowledge. Head office in London are next to be made redundant and some of the depots just a heads up. Accounts with suppliers were always on hold but we had to advise customer that the items were out of stock as we couldn't tell them we hadn't paid the suppliers so get used to loads of lying. Hopefully funnels can do better than joe maurray and Richard tucker although Richard was fired from the company he agreed to sell

Advice to Management

Look after you staff then they will look after you me company. Also pay your bills

6. "Not family friendly"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Bromborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Bromborough, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working along with the other colleagues is amazing, everyone is so friendly, but that quickly changes after a few months with the company

Cons

Staff are over worked, can be TOLD to do hours anytime day or night, for such a large store their would be very little staff and departments would be with out a colleague on them. Causing annoyance to the customers that would past on to over worked staff who would take the brunt of customer complaints.

"Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any..slave drivers.they treat the manager s and staff like meat

Cons

I would stay away from this company honestly. They work on fear management style. Long hours no quality of life..if you don't 60 hrs plus. You become a black sheep.. They losed thousands off the staff establishment since the new MD as join..

Advice to Management

Start rewarding and,thanking the hard workers that care..Instead of demanding more..the manager s are on minimum wage..for the hours they do..no Sunday bank holiday premium.. No nightshift allowance..all be taken away..this company is on the down..stay away

8. "No progression"

Former Employee - Buying Administrative Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Buying Administrative Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment and nice offices

Cons

No progression
    Unhappy staff members

"Tries to appear as a family comes first business however the reality is completely different"

Former Employee - Store Manager in South Newbald, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in South Newbald, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good store management pay and are trying to develop their colleague training. Expanding business with no debt. They are trying to simplify ( however this is very disorganised and inconsistent)

Cons

Overly complicate every single action and process, have no control over stock at all, expectation of management working hours, no real respect for management teams, way too much "boys club" the wrong people promoted due to who their friends are. And finally, no appreciation at all of anyone's home life situation. Bonus scheme an absolute farce.
    Don't do exit interviews out of fear of the feedback they will get. HR dept have no idea what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Actually give a crap about the people who work for you. You've grown to a billion pound a year business but through trying to simplify the business (which is still ridiculously complicated) you have completely destroyed morale and succession and loyalty to the business. I wouldn't recommend to anyone if you want to develop and progress

10. "Terrible place to be"

Former Employee - Digital Designer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Digital Designer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing worth while to offer as they are back stabbing

Cons

The company actively moderates their product reviews, and if they consider them to be unfavourable for their brand or their high margin products, they will block negative reviews.

Advice to Management

Get some dignity and honesty