Dunelm Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

United Kingdom

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Browett

Pros
  • friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too (in 9 reviews)

• Slightly above average rate of pay for a retail job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough staff , management don't always see how tricky it is with customers and not enough staff on shop floor (in 7 reviews)

• The Belfast store is particularly disorganised, feeding from a track record of workers being thrown into the deep end with no training (in 7 reviews)

1. "Fast paced, always lots to do, but a fun work environment"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor (18 Years Old) in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor (18 Years Old) in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have met a few good friends working here.
    The pay for my age (18 to 21) is significantly over national minimum wage.
    Good team.

Cons

Rotas don't always work.
    More staff is sometimes needed

Advice to Management

Solid management.
    There is a fair balance for working and having a laugh.

2. "DUNELM"

I have been working at Dunelm part-time

Pros

Excellent team members to work with who are supportive and share tasks out. Management is very friendly.

Cons

There are no downsides of working for this firm however the pay rate could be better.

3. "It's not all it's made out to be"

Current Employee - Buying Assistant in Thurmaston, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Buying Assistant in Thurmaston, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working hours 9-5
    1 hour lunch break

Cons

No progression
    Expected to stay longer. But not paid
    Not given pay banding structure and evertugfffixx

Advice to Management

Very cliquey
    I have been promised promotions but nothing haas happened.

5. "Terrible"

Current Employee - Furniture
    Current Employee - Furniture

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours if negotiated
    Friendly co workers

Cons

If the manager doesn't like you you're screwed.
    No training
    Mind Numbingly boring work

6. "Steer Clear of this Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radcliffe, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radcliffe, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None now unfortunately, I cannot think of one positive comment to say about the place.

Cons

Since a change in management within the call centre towards the end of 2016, Dunelm became an unbearable place to work, lost its whole 'family' feel which is what the CEO Will used to pride the company on. No care for long standing loyal colleagues, but a clear agenda to get rid of anyone who's face didnt fit. No care to the peoples well being and in most cases given no choice but to leave due to feeling attacked in work every day and leading to personal health issues. It is no longer a family feel, its now full of people who dont care about stepping on others to get to the top. Senior Management are politicians who are wolves in sheeps clothing and cannot be trusted to keep their word. The call centre is a far cry from where it was a year ago and not in a good way.

Advice to Management

Resign and allow people who care to actually come in and do a good job!

7. "Still there!!"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too. Better rate of pay per hour than other local retailers. Chance to progress for those keen to do so. Extra little incentives given for those who work well

Cons

Can be hard work when short staffed. Sometimes more positive conversations would be nice especially when we are really busy and already working our socks off! Some staff get away with things that others wouldn't like...going to their phone in the locker room on a regular basis, wearing jeggings or jeans and generally shirking their duties

Advice to Management

Clamp down on those that bend the rules as this has a negative effect on other colleagues that follow the rules. More praise given where praise is due. Give more colleagues the chance to use their common sense instead of stating the obvious to them..like saying "what are you doing, are you doing delivery or working the bins?" when it is blatantly obvious we are working delivery as we are stood there with the totes in front of us and also common sense says work delivery first, bins later

"review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

Pros

face paced & exciting place to work, lots of opportunities for training and progression

Cons

staff pay is amongst the lowest in the industry even considering the location

Advice to Management

don't forget the current customers who have been loyal whilst chasing JLP etc shoppers

9. "Marketing Executive"

Current Employee - Marketing Executive in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Executive in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots going on so good opportunity to get involved in different projects and broaden experience. Fast paced and time flies. Very friendly and welcoming.
    Birthday + charity day off.

Cons

High expectations which are not reflected in pay.
    Processes are out dated and time consuming.
    Can be stressful with high workload.
    No bonus.

10. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers and team, continually working together to one goal - great customer service and enjoyable place to come to work for

Cons

Processes and equipment - new ones - sometimes take a while to implement but understand need to tried and tested first to ensure best results for all.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening and celebrating great success of teams and individuals. Remember everyone is important.

11. "Review follow up - two years on from last review."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place for sticking with this company for 5+ years now. Not for lack of trying to get a new job though.

It hasn't improved since my last review a few years ago, we are still overworked and underpaid. New processes in place that are supposed to make the job easier are okay in theory but in practice don't work.

Customer services duties have doubled recently with the so called reserve and collect system, and the farce that is customer orders, unfortunately the staffing levels haven't doubled, which means that you spend your shift chasing your tail and doing the work of two people for a pretty poor hourly rate.

The only pros for me is working with some great colleagues who have been there since the start like me, and an extra weeks holiday for being there over five years.

Cons

See second and third paragraph above.

Also your holidays are constantly rejected due to things like sale set up, de-sale, new merchandise set up and stocktake which changes date every year. It's bad enough that there's eight weeks of the year that you can't get holidays as it is without all that as well.

In the last twelve months we have had three longstanding members of staff leave for new jobs, people don't tend to do that when they are happy at work. Also some staff are on maternity leave and I personally feel that they would be mad to come back to the stress of the job as well as look after young babies, as management do not make allowances for anyone's personal life because as far as they are concerned Dunelm comes above all else.

To be fair to the management in my particular store, they are all grafters and do their fair share of the hard work when required. They do make you feel appreciated, although they also are quick to come down on you when you make a mistake.

Advice to Management

Shift rotas need to be up three weeks in advance as despite what some of you think, we do have a life outside of work. Please stop changing people's days around, I realise that we have to cover for colleagues on holiday and off sick but we all have commitments at home.

Holiday requests need a faster turnaround.

People in Head Office who implement new procedures need to see them working on the shop floor themselves instead of sitting on their comfy chairs behind a screen.