Dunnhumby Reviews in Cincinnati, OH | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dunnhumby Chief Executive Simon Hay
Simon Hay

Pros
  • Culture & work-life balance are brilliant (in 92 reviews)

• Great people, great culture and a work environment that fosters innovation (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • The pulse of the company is totally disconnected from senior management (in 17 reviews)

• Middle management need negotiation and professional soft skills to lead (in 11 reviews)

1. "HR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Dunnhumby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay / benefits. Excellent working environment.

Cons

Global structure can create communication challenges. Business environment has changed to more of a start-up company. Excellent opportunity for development and growth.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate!

"Great Culture"

I worked at Dunnhumby full-time

Pros

Fantastic culture of curiosity and pushing clients to be better based on customer data. Values people. Awarded best places to work for many years in a row.

Cons

When Kroger bought most of the US business (84.51), very little was left to the company. They essentially have to start from scratch and build an new client portfolio.

Advice to Management

Don't live in the past - make your future. This will be a critical strategic shift for them. They need to reinvent Customer 1st again.

"Best place I've ever worked"

I have been working at Dunnhumby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for over 10 years now in the business world and this company is the best I've ever experienced! They reward you for working hard and we celebrate our successes - fun events such as going to the race track during work, having Opening day events at work, random fun surprise events, beer on site, Cinco de Mayo, Christmas, Thanksgiving celebrations. It is a real family environment too- work life balance is encouraged and we have a lot of fun events for kids at work such as an Easter party, Christmas party with Santa, etc. The executive leadership team is very friendly and down to earth- you actually get to know everyone really well no matter what level you are. The Cincinnati office is amazing because there are only about 70 people but that helps us all become close. We have Friday office lunches- sometimes we pack our own, sometimes it's catered, but we come together and learn about each other. We have access to a gym too in our new building off the Rookwood exit. Good salary and bonus. We also have an open work environment where no one has an office- even the top execs which is nice.

Cons

My only con is my commute

5. "Great employer that needs to find itself now"

Current Employee - Director in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Director in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Dunnhumby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues
    Amazing culture and work environment
    Challenging work

Cons

Poor communication/clarity of communication from management
    Difficulty in specifying clear go forward strategy

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want to do next and be transparent with your people. They'll back you up if they feel like they know where to go

6. "Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Dunnhumby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality of colleagues - I learned from them everyday. Company truly focuses on the customer 1st vs. all decisions being made on making money. Great culture - fun plan to work.

Cons

Company is constantly changing and evolving which means you must embrace change and be flexible - that's not for everyone. They can be slow to act on lower performers - hold on to them for too long.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the customer - that is a true difference.

7. "Data Architect"

Former Employee - Senior Data Solutions Developer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Data Solutions Developer in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Great culture and fun atmosphere. The environment is very glamorous. There are a lot of creative and talented people in the company. The company has great benefits too.

Cons

Very confusing employee rating system. A lot of employees can feel out place in this company's unique culture. All though the company offers a generous vacation package, deadlines and schedules are so tight that you may not be able to use all your vacation.

"Sr Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Dunnhumby (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Good place to build your resume for your next job.

Cons

The company has a lot of cliques. It feels like you are in high school all over again. I was employed there for 8 years. The company was constant changing direction and strategy. Managers changes constantly. I had 12 managers in 8 years. These leaves no room to develop yourself.

Advice to Management

There are some good experiences managers. Those that came up at dunnhumby don't have the experience to truly manage others. Stick to a strategy.

"Not the best place to start your career"

Former Employee - Client Lead in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Client Lead in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Dunnhumby full-time

Pros

Great culture, good benefits, executives are easily accessible

Cons

The graduate program is often an after thought. They boast this developmental rotational program but instead use graduates as placeholders for open roles that external hires have not applied for.

Starting salary is competitive, but does not keep up with similar positions in the industry. Starting a career here means you will likely never reach the same salary as an external hire for the same position even with 10% raises year after year.

Advice to Management

For a company that preaches putting the customers at the center of decision making, you do little to show the same philosophy is true for employees. Salary reviews and positions should be analyzed yearly to see if you still remain competitive to the job market.

10. "More good than bad"

I have been working at Dunnhumby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

i joined dunnhumby in Cincinnati a little more than 3 years ago and promised myself I would come back and post a review to see if the company has lived up to all of the hype.

- Everything that you hear about company culture is true. The business goes out of its way to make the employees comfortable at work. From your physical office space, to healthy living programs, to just having fun and blowing off steam, teams of people work hard to make employees happy.
    - The core mission of focusing of customers is really lived by the business in all teams and departments in the work we do every day.
    - People here are the smartest I have ever worked with, but approachable and friendly.
    - Pay and benefit packages are strong
    - There seem to be lots of options for continuing education (although less is available at my pay grade)

Cons

- For a technology company, the tools we have as employees do not make it easy to do our jobs.
    - Not enough money is invested back into the business. There is little focus on R&D.
    - There is little diversity in the leadership. There are virtually no women in executive roles. It is brought up in company Q&A sessions and dismissed seemingly without care.
    - Organizational changes happen frequently as if they are sport.
    - I thought I would have more opportunities to work with colleagues abroad when I joined, but I have never really worked with anyone outside of Cincinnati.

Advice to Management

Employees love much about the organization the way it is, and with good reason. Keep what is great about the company while investing more money back into the business, diverisfying leadership (you already have many talented women) and stabilizing org changes.

"A very mixed bag of positive and negative experiences"

I have been working at Dunnhumby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company can be a rewarding place to work with regard to life/work balance, benefits and resume visibility. Grade 7 managers seem to be very open and transparent; the abilities of managers declines quickly at grade 5 and below. Perks include social activities, on-site gyms, generous vacation structure, opportunities to volunteer locally and ability to work offsite.

Cons

There is a propensity to value youth over experience.
    Many mid to upper level managers (grades 4 to 6) are not trained as managers, and it is quite apparent.
    No redress for issues with a very unhelpful and unprofessional HR department.
    Some managers known for bullying, intimidation and lack of respect for employees are free to continue these practices.
    Too much "forced" conviviality and partying; pay more attention to work and deliverables.
    Difficult and unequal promotion processes.
    constantly reduced personal workspace (communal, open plan fosters collaboration but makes concentration difficult, privacy impossible and personal space non-existent.
    Very noticeable cliques of senior managers with tenure over 7 years (USA in particular); if you're not on the inside, you never will be.
    Dismissals can be indiscriminate, and no redress is possible

Advice to Management

stricter reviews and oversight of managers (particularly grade 4 and 5)
    more training of managers and better on boarding for new hires
    make HR responsive and more confidential
    stop the emphasis on alcohol consumption (even in jest, drinking to excess IS a common theme, and encouraged)
    too many meetings, team-building and "innovation" days