Duro-Last Roofing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Thomas Hollingsworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Production worker"

Pros

Lots of overtime, profit sharing and great benefits

Cons

Low raises and lots of overtime

2. "Production"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Duro-Last Roofing (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits but that is all.

Cons

Low wages. HR is a nightmare. Run away fast!

3. "Operations"

Current Employee - Intern in Coleman, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in Coleman, MI

I have been working at Duro-Last Roofing (Less than a year)

Pros

Allows for cross-functional project work and helps develop holistic view of the organization's operations. Employees are able to work on many projects of their own selection and design.

Cons

Upper management's carefree attitude leads to poorly defined job requirements and makes performance review difficult. At times, employees will be assigned projects which they do not have the authority to change or impact effectively.

"Not a bad place but..."

Current Employee - Welder/Machine Operator in Sigourney, IA
    Current Employee - Welder/Machine Operator in Sigourney, IA

I have been working at Duro-Last Roofing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits aren't too bad. 401k 4%/2% company match, profit sharing to your 401k yearly, company meals sponsored by either the company, contractors, or trucking companies. Yearly boot allowance of $50, 50% tuition and books for continued education while employed if it benefits the company and approved by HR(If you can find the time), 8 paid holidays now, and layoff in the winter months. Most of the people are a blast to work with and it's not your typical factory job.

Cons

Starting pay is terrible $10.10 an hour, and your lucky to get a decent raise every year. 46 cents a year is considered a good raise. Merit raises are almost non existent now and you only get reviewed yearly. Its uncommon to get a review that says you are doing better than satisfactory.

We now hire through a temp agency, so it takes almost 6 months to be hired full time. With the starting pay so low this place is a revolving door and it's hard to keep good employees.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees that do their job well and have shown they want to work here. The work we do is physically demanding and we go above and beyond to keep this place running. Don't set unrealistic expectations so you can excuse low pay and unfair treatment. And when asked to expand our abilities within the company, give us a shot.

"It's all about numbers........."

Former Employee - Manufacturer's Representative in Los Lunas, NM
    Former Employee - Manufacturer's Representative in Los Lunas, NM

I worked at Duro-Last Roofing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good support from various technical and product departments, great annual National Sales Seminar, premium product that actually performs as advertised.

Cons

Very infrequent management interaction in the territory; no local or regional marketing or advertising; management apparently finds it difficult to stand behind their employees; no concern for the circumstances behind any sales fluctuations.

Advice to Management

Doesn't make much difference, they're fairly adverse to listening.

6. "Enjoy working for this family-friendly, innovative company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Duro-Last Roofing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been employed at Duro-Last for over ten years and have moved up through the company since being hired. They are very sensitive to family obligations and I truly enjoyed working at this organization. I have formed numerous friendship with both customers and fellow employees.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to state about working for this company. Being transparent with your expectations is very helpful.

"Quality Assurance Tech Rep"

Current Employee - Tech Representative I in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Tech Representative I in Saginaw, MI

Pros

Vehicle, clothing allowance, great hours, base pay plus ot/dt. Benefits are great - low cost compared to other employers. Year round work. Love the travel.

Cons

weather days can be challenging.

8. "not a bad production company"

Former Employee - Production Worker in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Duro-Last Roofing (Less than a year)

Pros

starting pay is somewhat decent

Cons

management lacked in a few areas it could improve

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Area in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Area in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Duro-Last Roofing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is growing fast, produces high quality products. I have never heard anyone say no to a customer request. Our customers love to do business with us, and there is a real sense of teamwork in the office. The company seems pretty progressive to me; health care benefits are great, and they really care about each person who works there.

Cons

We are pretty busy in the summer, but I have heard the CEO, Tom Saeli say this is a "sea of opportunity" for anyone who wants to work to advance their career.

Advice to Management

This company is a hidden gem in Saginaw, Michigan. My advice to the executives is don't compromise when you are hiring new people, find someone who really wants to be part of a growing team. I want to work with other people who are as motivated as I am to do a good job!

"Watch your back."

Former Employee - Middle Management in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Duro-Last Roofing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people at lower levels were great to work with. I feel for them that they are still stuck there.

Cons

Poor benefits. 6.5 holidays--really? Very poor feedback--got good review one year, no review next year. Work heaped on you with no regard for how long it takes--they will let you work 80 hours if you don't complain.

Advice to Management

Just because Grand-Dad knew how to make a buck doesn't mean that every HR policy he had was good for the company. Improve benefits, especially work-life balance for salaried personnel. Trust people want to do good work even if they haven't been around for 20 years. Fear may yield compliance, but it will not grow commitment.