Duty Free Americas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.9
Jerome Falic

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get a lot of experience dealing with every facet of retail sales (in 3 reviews)

• Company gave me an option to work fulltime or part time (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no raises, bonuses or cost of living increases (in 6 reviews)

• Upper Management can be vindictive and borderline racist to certain groups (in 6 reviews)

1. "Beauty Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work with different brand name companies

Cons

Low salary and minimal benefits

2. "Duty free Americas"

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time

Pros

The co-workers are the best

Cons

The manager is racist and sexist, he treats people like he is so much better than you, he yells and screams at his employees, he is the worst. Do not work there

Advice to Management

Change the managemnt team

3. "Very high turn over"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers health benefits to employees

Cons

No pay raises only way to increase pay is to apply for other positions, but those are limited. Most that get the position are not qualified for the job.

4. "Store supervisor"

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time

Pros

I had a great boss so working there was easy going. Good hours and support from management.

Cons

No room for advancement in the company, unless you are willing to move.

5. "Review of duty free americas"

I have been working at Duty Free Americas full-time

Pros

Having customers and coworkers from different backgrounds

Cons

No raises given in years. Changes made in the last year that lower the amount of commission that salespeople can earn

"Worse company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interacting with passengers and bonding with co-workers. They pay for either public transport or parking. Venture here at your own risk.

Cons

I have zero good things to say about this company other than what is stated above. There are so many negatives to this company as to boggle the mind. I've never worked for a company that is so inclined to demotivate an employee as this one. If you were to look up a text book example on how not to run a company, DFA would be illustrated. They seem to have nothing but disdain for their employees. They claim to have a no retaliation policy in place; however, challenge them on this and you'll find that the exact opposite is true. They will railroad you, the minute they feel that you are either a threat or of any use to them. Human Resources is a joke; there's absolute nothing human about them. They are there exclusively as the company's mouthpiece and could care less about the employee and their problems, unless, of course, you are a favorite of the general manager and then you get everything you want. There are no raises, bonuses or cost of living increases. I hope you like your starting salary because that will be your fishing salary. Promotions are non-existent, except, of course, if you are a chosen one of the general manager. The turn-over rate is among the highest in the airport, comparable to McDonald's. I cannot stress enough just how little they care about their employees. The Falic brothers et al. are here to make a buck and that's it. Don't expect compassion, understanding or anything resembling human decency from these people because you will be sorely disappointed.

Advice to Management

Why bother? You'd have better luck talking to a fossilized arachnid.

7. "Low earning potential"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good entry level to learn retail
    Multicultural clientele
    Fast pace environment
    Learning different types of retail and items
    Chance to earn commission

Cons

Long term earning potential is extremely limited. Upper Management can be vindictive and borderline racist to certain groups.
    Late operating hours
    Maximum responsibility with little return
    Managers are given unclear directives that is not understood to them and it shows when trying to enact those directives.
    Human resources number one job is to protect the interest of the company not the employee.
    Management finds way to "get rid" of employees that they do not like.
    The corruption starts from the top.
    Favoritism reigns supreme

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like the resource that they are. You cannot have a successful business without the cooperation of your staff. Raises can a great incentive. Attitude is reflection of leadership.

"Started out good but worked out bad."

Former Employee - Vendor Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vendor Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice team of co-workers.

Cons

I have read many reviews about this company and the general opinion seems to be the same. The real problem is the management...or lack thereof. It seems they all use the same rule book at most of their stores and the treatment of the associates is the same all around. I read one review that was so on point about the management. Individuals who have been at that job for a very long time and got comfortable behind their desks and have absolutely NOTHING new to bring to the table. Their methods of dealing with the associates is worthy of labor board lawsuits. They are brazen liars. Accuse you and write you up for things without presenting you with any physical evidence that you are guilty. I once ran into an ex-manager from my store and they told me one of the reasons they quit was because of the bad things they wanted the managers to do to the employees. That solidified my suspicions that they were intentionally mistreating the associates. As a vendor representative you are responsible for selling the brand you represent and the vendor in turn pays you commission and a percentage of your salary if not all of it. It is my strong suspicion that this company cheats the vendor reps out of commission and many vendors are unaware what is going on. For example, your commission percentage is supposed to be 3% but the company takes 1.5% of it and the vendors are none the wiser. And they insist that you do not contact your vendor directly. They want you to go through management in order to contact them. Shady. This management is trained to be very backstabbish, throw you right under the bus to improve their own reputations with corporate, argumentative with associates, constantly focusing on the negative, pointing fingers at associates and treating people like children. Whenever business is down they blame the associates and say they are not providing enough customer service. Never a word of gratitude or thanks. Never look at themselves and realize that THEY are the real problem.

Advice to Management

Advising them would be a waste of time. They can't bare constructive criticism because, you see, they are "NEVER" wrong.

"Sales person"

I have been working at Duty Free Americas full-time

Pros

a set schedule, co-workers become like family.

Cons

The owners are extremely cheap, I think they are trying their hardest to be the cheper employer in the history of the USA. Yet they want to demand so much from their miserable minimum wage employees. Everytime they make a change in the company is always to downgrade you or demote people never to promote anybody. Some changes have been reducing your salary, reducing comission 3 times everytime lower and lower, reducing vacations, reducing employees and not replacing them therefore you gotto do the job for 3 people, and obviously there hasn't been and increase in years only a decrease of your salary. This company works backwards they are not smart at all. They hire whoever, many people don't take showers, and their aspects are generally nasty. If you have an avarage IQ don't waste your time to apply there they only want people with little common sense.

Advice to Management

replace all those so-called leaders that have been there for years seating comfortably in their desks pretending they work, those are people with comfort-zone mentalities that have nothing new to bring to the table.

10. "salary"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

spiff, flexible schedule, easy job

Cons

low hourly rate. minimum $7.50