Duty Free Americas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jerome Falic

Pros
  • You get a lot of experience dealing with every facet of retail sales (in 3 reviews)

• Company gave me an option to work fulltime or part time (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • THERE ARE NO RAISES OR INCENTIVES EVER FOR NO ONE (in 6 reviews)

• Upper Management can be vindictive and borderline racist to certain groups (in 6 reviews)

1. "salary"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

spiff, flexible schedule, easy job

Cons

low hourly rate. minimum $7.50

2. "Worse company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interacting with passengers and bonding with co-workers. They pay for either public transport or parking. Venture here at your own risk.

Cons

I have zero good things to say about this company other than what is stated above. There are so many negatives to this company as to boggle the mind. I've never worked for a company that is so inclined to demotivate an employee as this one. If you were to look up a text book example on how not to run a company, DFA would be illustrated. They seem to have nothing but disdain for their employees. They claim to have a no retaliation policy in place; however, challenge them on this and you'll find that the exact opposite is true. They will railroad you, the minute they feel that you are either a threat or of any use to them. Human Resources is a joke; there's absolute nothing human about them. They are there exclusively as the company's mouthpiece and could care less about the employee and their problems, unless, of course, you are a favorite of the general manager and then you get everything you want. There are no raises, bonuses or cost of living increases. I hope you like your starting salary because that will be your fishing salary. Promotions are non-existent, except, of course, if you are a chosen one of the general manager. The turn-over rate is among the highest in the airport, comparable to McDonald's. I cannot stress enough just how little they care about their employees. The Falic brothers et al. are here to make a buck and that's it. Don't expect compassion, understanding or anything resembling human decency from these people because you will be sorely disappointed.

Advice to Management

Why bother? You'd have better luck talking to a fossilized arachnid.

"Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Sumas, WA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Sumas, WA

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I miss my work family. Great coworkers.
    Unfortunately, the manager was an irresponsible, chain smoking twit with extreme ADHD who never took his meds.

Cons

EMBARRASSING MANAGEMENT.
    If the headquarters in Hollywood, Florida saw how this place was being run there would be some major changes.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management. It was ridiculously crappy management that lead me to quit.

5. "Started out good but worked out bad."

Former Employee - Vendor Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vendor Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice team of co-workers.

Cons

I have read many reviews about this company and the general opinion seems to be the same. The real problem is the management...or lack thereof. It seems they all use the same rule book at most of their stores and the treatment of the associates is the same all around. I read one review that was so on point about the management. Individuals who have been at that job for a very long time and got comfortable behind their desks and have absolutely NOTHING new to bring to the table. Their methods of dealing with the associates is worthy of labor board lawsuits. They are brazen liars. Accuse you and write you up for things without presenting you with any physical evidence that you are guilty. I once ran into an ex-manager from my store and they told me one of the reasons they quit was because of the bad things they wanted the managers to do to the employees. That solidified my suspicions that they were intentionally mistreating the associates. As a vendor representative you are responsible for selling the brand you represent and the vendor in turn pays you commission and a percentage of your salary if not all of it. It is my strong suspicion that this company cheats the vendor reps out of commission and many vendors are unaware what is going on. For example, your commission percentage is supposed to be 3% but the company takes 1.5% of it and the vendors are none the wiser. And they insist that you do not contact your vendor directly. They want you to go through management in order to contact them. Shady. This management is trained to be very backstabbish, throw you right under the bus to improve their own reputations with corporate, argumentative with associates, constantly focusing on the negative, pointing fingers at associates and treating people like children. Whenever business is down they blame the associates and say they are not providing enough customer service. Never a word of gratitude or thanks. Never look at themselves and realize that THEY are the real problem.

Advice to Management

Advising them would be a waste of time. They can't bare constructive criticism because, you see, they are "NEVER" wrong.

"Horrible. Avoid at all costs."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not much in the way of pros but they do offer monthly compensation for public transport and for on site parking.

Cons

I ran into a former mgr and he/she told me one of the reasons they quit was because of some of the things the company wanted them to do to the staff. He/she didn't agree with those things because they knew those things were wrong and decided to quit. While reading through many of the reviews on this company the opinions are the same for many locations. Mgmnt doesn't care about the staff, they always point out the bad things, they are not supportive, they don't accommodate your scheduling needs, there is no life/work balance, hostile work environment. I would love to get my hands on the mgmnt handbook and turn it over to the Department of Labor. These people have you running around doing 10 jobs for the price of less than one. They are ALWAYS understaffed. The turnover rate is astronomical. I have seen so many (good) people treated like dirt and cast out like TRASH. The crap that this company gets away with is incredulous.

Advice to Management

Not much to say to mgmnt. They are trained to be horrible to people and to treat them unfairly ON PURPOSE. In this life you CANNOT mistreat people and expect to walk through a garden of rewards. Somewhere down the road you will be held accountable for the misery you have caused and the price you pay karma will be staggering.

7. "Luxury Specialist"

Former Employee - Luxury Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Luxury Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Company gave me an option to work fulltime or part time. You meet new ppl daily even celebrities walk in. During holidays, you'll receive a meal and for Xmas they'll give away old merchandise for the coworkers .

Cons

Management cares nothing about the ppl under them. They'll talk to you anyway. Not understanding at all. The older employees form in groups and gossip like teenagers. HR will have you write a report about everything, but won't solve the issues.

Advice to Management

Its a workplace not high school

8. "Only if you know someone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homestead, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homestead, FL

I have been working at Duty Free Americas (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a job .... That's about it

Cons

Poor management, poor salary

9. "Seller"

Former Employee - Seller in Palm Beach Farms, FL
    Former Employee - Seller in Palm Beach Farms, FL

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time

Pros

Work at duty free americas was a wonderful experience because it allowed me to acquire a lot of experience and enrich my knowledge regarding the sale and way of dealing with customers .

Cons

The downsides is resided in schedules. because oftentimes we could plan nothing to share the work. there was a scheduling problem in the administration. but apart from that the work was fabulous

Advice to Management

I would advise the manager to hire me because I'm a model employee , practical, thoughtful, easier to identify the problems and find appropriate solutions and profitables

"HQ - Corporate Office in Hollywood, Fl"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, FL

I worked at Duty Free Americas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing positive to say.

Cons

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY IF YOU HAVE OPTIONS.

Advice to Management

The owners don't care about the people. They owned Falic Fashion Group (FFG), Libretto and others small companies but they only care about making money and not giving back their employees.

11. "sale associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Duty Free Americas (Less than a year)

Pros

nice working environment, meeting new people

Cons

long hour standing and down time