Duval County Public School Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Nikolai P. Vitti, Ed.D.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, and occasionally have to work mandatory OT (in 11 reviews)

• Also, there is a very high turnover rate; principals, teachers, and AP's will be moved in and out of your school on a regular basis (in 3 reviews)

1. "Math Coach"

Current Employee - Math Coach/Teacher/School Technology Contact in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best medical plan available, even though a little pricey, for public school teaching withing the surrounding counties. Very strong union, hence the medical.

Cons

Very poor communication from the district level!! The district is also about to undergo some serious painful recovery from the extensive number manipulation done my Dr. Vitti in everything from yearly growth scores, student discipline, and funding.

Advice to Management

You need to get ahead of the results from the coming year. Dr. Vitti set it up so that he will look like a God Send and that without him the district tanked. We did have a strong growth year on paper, but that is because of the curriculum progression used. It prevented the lower quartile students from taking the stated testing that effected school grades this year, but they will now be in the class that will be tested this coming year. I know the mentality was to give the students a year to 'catch up', I just really believe that there will be a significant drop in yearly gains. He left on a high note and next year will most likely show a significant drop. It was directly tied to him, but not for the reasons that will most likely be promoted. All I can say is good luck Detroit, thank you for hiring him!

2. "DCPS"

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

The children are our future! Many people love the students and work extremely hard so we can all succeed.

Cons

Major structural constraints of public education (especially in deep south) causes low pay, insufficient training/mentoring programs, large out of pocket costs for classroom necessities and alternative certification for teachers (even though they are badly needed), and general desperation. Duval County Public Schools exemplifies these problems. DCPS has a particularly thick bureaucracy due to its large size, an unhelpful H.R. office, many unprofessional administrators & district leaders, a school board with embarrassing public in-fighting, and pervasive chaos.

3. "Teacher"

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students are loving and amazing. The parents care about their child''s education. I taught at one of the lowest economic schools in the district and our administration would have you believe that no one cared for our students, but that was false.

Cons

The administration is toxic and the school district did not do anything to help students that were victim of vindictive administration. My assistant principal ran our school and freely degraded educators in front of students and cursed students out. She cursed their parents out and came to gloat about her actions during PLCs. The principal and other assistant principal never protected the students or eductors.

Advice to Management

Do an investigation on the leadership team for Jean Ribault Middle. I have loads of evidence feel free to email me.

4. "System Administrator III"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

slow, easy work, healthcare and 401k

Cons

No advancement, dead Path, low salary

5. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid holidays, pay, planning period and bonding with the children is the best. Being able to laugh at and with different personalities everyday is priceless

Cons

Principal doesn't seem interested in teachers concerns. The teacher input doesn't seem to get noticed as well. We are overworked and underpaid. Especially when you have to conduct 3 preps everyday

6. "CRT"

I have been working at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

Benefits, Mon- Fri Schedule, Day Shift

Cons

No raises, or promotions, unorganized company

7. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Educating students was a very satisfying career. Every day was a new day with new opportunities and a chance to start over.

Cons

There were some philosophical differences, for example Common Core. There were not many opportunities to be flexible or adapt learning for students' needs.

8. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The students are in a desperate need of caring, dependable teachers.

Cons

90% of the workers are overwhelmed with no support to do their job well.

Advice to Management

Choose what works and stick with it.

9. "don't work for Duval if you value your mental health"

I worked at Duval County Public School full-time

Pros

None, except for Summers off.

Cons

I have never experienced such petty favoritism from admin, instilling fear into their employees as a way to get us to do what they want. My final evaluation was effected because I used 7 days throughout the year out of the 13 that was given to us thanks to the union.

10. "Bartram Springs Elementary Extended Day Worker"

I worked at Duval County Public School part-time

Pros

Overall nice school and environment. Good PT wage.

Cons

Favoritism from director towards certain workers.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally and fairly!