DynCorp International Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lou Von Thaer

Pros
Cons
  • Contracting has long hours and strenuous travel with few vacation days (in 21 reviews)

• Upper Management makes bad decisions (in 20 reviews)

1. "Are you a crook?"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

If you are crook and want to make some easy money please do join DynCorp. The higher ups will help you to become a millionaire in short time. Get a job in Iraq or Afghanistan, join in Contracts department or Procurement and mint money. Or be a sub contractor to DynCorp

Cons

Good employees will not survive long, employees who dont add any values to the company makes more money and they survive there for long time. Screw up and Move up...

Advice to Management

Senior Management should review on what value each person adds to the company. There so many non performing employees, they should get rid of them to reduce the overhead. There are so many upper managment people who protect these non performers and they make this company look bad. When ever there is reduction in employees, these people survive that through their contacts.

2. "DynCorp is going downhill fast"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Overall the industry is fairly stable. While contracts may switch from one provider to another, the workers typically remain in the same job positions. For the most part the compensation is good, but not great.

Cons

As a corporate employee rather than working on a contract, I am overhead and considered an uneeded expense. As government oversight becomes more and more vogue, contractors have to pinch pennies to remain profitable, and when some contracts only return a few percent profit margin, it is easy to target overhead functions, even the ones that provide the innovations that helped win the contract in the first place.

Advice to Management

Listen to your line managers.

"Being laid off was the best thing about working at DynCorp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

If you like travel, DynCorp is the place to be.
    My position offered quite a variety of work, and therefore wasn't the same old drudge.
    The 401k match is the best I have seen.

Cons

A politically based advancement program.
    People I saw promoted hadn't the vaguest idea of the type of work they were to manage.
    A co-worker tried to nominate another co-worker for a job well done. The manager over the area blocked the nomination because it would demoralize the rest of the team.This sort or petty nonsense is an every day occurrence.
    Upper management gives the "our employees are our most valued asset." line, but it's is utter drivel.
    An completely useless HR department when it comes to dealing with problem co-workers.

Advice to Management

Take the "our employees are our most valued asset" line to heart instead of treating them as one of your expendable pieces of equipment.

5. "Pay is good, communication between management is poor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Competitive pay and the work they do in very difficult situations. In general good people within your work group family. Benefits are on par with other goverment contractors.

Cons

Management is in silo's and does not communicate well with different departments. Dis-connects between corporate office and the Fort Worth/Florida office.

Advice to Management

Improve communications to team members. Have a better understanding of the actions that are being put in place so that team members are not put in a position to fail.

"Save your sanity and talent for a company that will appreciate it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

DynCorp International, at the heart, has some very patriotic missions I am proud to support. As a former military person, it is good to see that patriotism still extists outside the military, and that our country is willing to assist other countries in times of need.

Cons

Though a great deal of upper management is now gone or replaced, there are a few that still linger from the old days. These managers were at their best when it was ok to treat employees like dirt. At this point in the world economy, they know they have us by the balls and take every advantage they can to exploit our dedication and hard work. Some of the managers are very catty, hold grudges for genuine and benign mistakes and blacklist well-meaning, very capable staff because of their own personal agendas.

Advice to Management

Read the social agreement you signed and follow it. At this time, you do not. You have no interest in seeing your employees grow with the company or developing intercompany relationships with any other goal than to point fingers. Grow the hell up and act like adults already. I think Mr. Gaffney could be a great leader if everyone in this company wasn't so scared to stand up and tell him exactly what's going on. His vision and ideas sound good, in practice, but they aren't being accomplished because the Sr. management crowd is full of spite and ill intent.

"Great people, poor overall management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

The company does very significant work that enhances our military's capability.

Cons

Upper management is cut throat and not concerned with employees well being.

8. "Very bureaucratic industry"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Good earning potential. The company has many opportunities, so while you may not necessarily move up in the company, there are many different opportunities that can increase your earning potential

Cons

There is not much upward movement and management tends to be shortsighted, more interested in short term returns than the long term.

Advice to Management

They should provide longer term strategy and better technological solutions. These will create increased efficiency and better margins for the company. They should better focus on employee opportunities and retention.

9. "crazy, lacks direction, better long term planning"

Current Contractor - Recruiter in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Contractor - Recruiter in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

friendly staff, people willing to help others.

Cons

needs to win some contracts, stay proactive.

10. "do not work here very bad company..."

Current Employee - Warehouseman in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouseman in Temple, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay is inflated, same thing everyday

Cons

layoffs every two years, overtime without notice, no raises ever.

11. "heavy wheel mechanic"

Current Contractor - Heavy Wheel Mechanic in El Paso, TX
    Current Contractor - Heavy Wheel Mechanic in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

good people, start time and end time for work is the same. go home at a decent time.

Cons

everything changes day to day and nothing is set in stone makes it hard to do your job when one thing is said and then changed. the lack of communication is a huge problem with the company. tpay is decent but for the work that we do and the use of our personnal tools that sometimes break in my veiw we should be paid more than what we get now. just about everything we need comes out of pocket and not from the units as stated in out contract, plus the cost of living has gone up. the health insurance is very high. no advancement in the company.

Advice to Management

stop disregarding the real problems and fix things that are going on. make policies that you can keep and stick to it. know what is needed and what the company wants to do instead of having constant changes. put an effort into training.