DynCorp International Reviews | Glassdoor

DynCorp International Reviews

Updated April 11, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Contracting has long hours and strenuous travel with few vacation days (in 21 reviews)

• Upper Management makes bad decisions (in 20 reviews)

"Not great"

Former Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are endless amounts of opportunities to improve as a professional .
    The mid level management are great and do all they can to ensure a great work environment

Cons

Company in a downward spiral . Poor top level management and declining profitable opportunities. The defense industry as a whole is suffering due to limited funding from the U.S. Government and this doesn't bode well for the industry as a whole

Advice to Management

None

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Private Due Ti Retaliation in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Private Due Ti Retaliation in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Pay is on time normally

Cons

HR team is unresponsive and senior leadership is the worst. If you have a concer you will either wait weeks for a response and more often than not no response. High turnover and higher layoffs with little to no notice. 3 CEO changes in 18 months. Unless you need it dontt bother. There are plenty of other contract companies out there

Advice to Management

Change HR leadership starting at the top then director level

"DynCorp doesn't care"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are really in need of employment and can't find anything else then work here only to gain experience and then leave after a year. Otherwise, I don't recommend working here.

Cons

DI is top heavy and pay only its upper management personnel. They don't care about the support staff, often lose bids on proposal due to POOR PAST PERFORMANCE ratings, and has a bad reputation with the government. They are a sinking ship!

Advice to Management

Clean house!! of your upper management who have fat paychecks, stop hiring your siblings, and other family members and promote HONESTLY within the minorities who are qualified. Stop promoting those caucasians who are NOT qualified. Stop lying to the government!!!

"Even Ethics does not do the right thing"

Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist Senior in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist Senior in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High salaries per experience and a ton of flex time during the week.

Cons

I had a manager who broke every rule on the social contract. I reported it to Ethics because it was getting out of hand. Ethics said, "yeah, there are some bad managers out there but just because he lies or treats you bad does not mean anything.. but I will talk to them about the internal training you aren't getting". I was given permission for training immediately afterwards and a couple weeks after that I was let go in a so called "lay-off"! I contacted Ethics regarding "retaliation" and they wouldn't respond for 6+ months. Later found out that my boss had lied again to Ethics in a cover-up so Ethics just left it at that. Would not look into the matter.
    Turnover is significant. More than any company I've ever seen. I had 7 different managers during my few years tenure. None of whom are with the company any more. Further, leadership portrays unethical standards in cost representation to the government.

Advice to Management

The right thing doesn't come from you.

6. "Stay away! Bait and switch"

Current Contractor - Mobile Training Team in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Contractor - Mobile Training Team in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The team leads are good first line managers. Working with team mates if the best part of the job.

Cons

Dyncorp has very little concern for employees. When complaints about recent 60% pay cut were voiced! management related they had hundreds of propel to take out place.

Advice to Management

Instructional knowledge is something you should try to hang on to. The new contract in Palestine will go into default, can't run two sites at 30% staffing

"Some of the worst management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent looking from the outside in, but once you are in you receive more and more tasks.

Cons

Some of the worst management. Employees are belittled, micro-managed, and at times harrased and it is accepted by Human Resources. Retaliation is also a fear all employees have. Management sticks together even if proven wrong. Human Resources is there to protect management and the company NOT the employee. Company is all about metrics instead of taking the time to take care of the customer. This company is also all about who you know. Opportunities are given to only certain people.

Advice to Management

Management training
    Team Building
    Leadership Training

"Upper Management is Abusive"

Former Employee - Director in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay up until they lay you off

Cons

If you have any integrity or skill, you WILL be replaced.

They hire old, used up generals and affirmative-action square-fillers who bring in their own yes-men. It is entirely unimportant to do a good job; just smile a lot and hope your boss doesn't have a buddy looking at your job.

Advice to Management

Resign and hire competent leaders

"Corporate employees are lemons who exist only to be squeezed."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DynCorp International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salaries and the working class employees are mostly good people who want to do good work.

Cons

DynCorp is owned by the private equity firm Cerebus who does not understand the business that DynCorp does nor has any interest in doing so. Their only interest is in squeezing as much as they possibly can out of DynCorp and its people. Innovation is non-existent as is employee morale. Since Cerebus has purchased us, company benefits have dried up. Employee raises are gone, insurance premiums have increased dramatically every year, training dollars are always the first to be cut from budgets, and even simple morale boost benefits such as blue jeans on Fridays have been eliminated. You are spoken to and treated as if you are lucky to even have a job. Employees work constantly under the threat of an oncoming reduction in force (RIF) and after each one, you are asked to work harder to make up for the missing personnel.

As the US government reduces defense spending, DynCorp's prospects for growth and even sustainment are grim. The company has not positioned itself for this circumstance and is suffering because of it.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I cannot imagine any words will help. Even a small appreciation of your employees would be beneficial. Forgo your executive bonus program to reinstate merit increases for employees Invest in them with training dollars. Give them a reason to want to stay here. As it stands today, every employee I know is currently looking for outside employment. Aside from a paycheck, you have given no one a reason to stay.

10. "Proposal developer"

Former Contractor - Proposal Writer in Falls Church, VA
    Former Contractor - Proposal Writer in Falls Church, VA

I worked at DynCorp International as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You do get paid for the hours you sit there.

Cons

They are so stuck in the past! Needless to say, there is a terrific amount of turnover in their proposal group.

Advice to Management

Lessen the pressure to get a response done and more time working on quality.

11. "COMBS Site Manager"

Former Employee - COMBS Site Manager in Columbus AFB, MS
    Former Employee - COMBS Site Manager in Columbus AFB, MS

I worked at DynCorp International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits that started right away
    Great in the beginning as long as you hide the problems
    Meet some great people

Cons

No backing from upper management
    After 2 months since I left--still owe me 5K
    You become the enemy once you give your notice
    The more you give--the more they take

Advice to Management

You ask for someone's opinion then just let it go in one ear and out the other