Dynavax Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dynavax Technologies President & CEO Eddie Gray
Eddie Gray

1. "Good Company, High Aspirations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Dynavax Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company with high aspirations of becoming a large company. Great people and work environment.

Cons

Dependent on FDA for the success of their business.

Advice to Management

Ensure all communications between the company and FDA are thoroughly vetted and ensure there is no misunderstandings in what is being communicated no matter how many times FDA requests the same information.

2. "Great work place, Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Dynavax Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company respects and cares about their employees. Recently there was a layoff and the management handled it very well. It is a quite place to work, everyone is very focused and cares about the success of the company. I have been working there for almost a year and I am very happy. Benefit is great.

Cons

I would like to see more employee activities. It seem like everyone is in their own bubble.

Advice to Management

Nothing they all are very awesome people to work with.

3. "Great Company Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Dynavax Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They truly care about their employees through HR/employee activities. Even when doing layoffs the package was more very fair and there was transparency through the whole process.

Cons

Small company and quiet offices. If you like to be in a more open and energetic space this wasn't exactly that.

Advice to Management

Consider promoting more about the benefits. Great offerings and I loved the flexibility, though i heard that wasn't consistent throughout the organization.

"Waiting for the Study to begin."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Dynavax Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynavax has some great products on the horizon, however, they don't know how to deal with a Clinical Trial Timeline.

Cons

Poor Communication between the Managers and the Clinical Staff.
    Poor understanding of how a Contractor works
    Multiple delays in start of project

Advice to Management

Don't hire a Contractor until you are prepared to use their services. GCP's require that a CRA stay in touch with the site on at least a minimum basis. A CRA needs to be paid for their time when they are contacting the sites whether the project is proceeding or on hold. If you are not prepared or are not ready to use my services, then please don't hire me at that time. Conversely, if I have signed a contract and am maintaining contact with my sites, but you are not prepared to start the project, don't be surprised or upset that I am staying in touch with the sites. If I don't do this, they will not be prepared to start the project when you want to.

"Negative Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous in UC Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in UC Berkeley, CA

I worked at Dynavax Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had positive experience working with the Upper management. They were courteous.

Cons

I didn't have a positive experience with the department I was working in. It was dysfunctional and poorly managed. Most team members were unhappy and didn't want to be there. No leadership and very unprofessional manager and it was brining every ones moral down. The permanent employees bullied and harassed temp employees.

Advice to Management

Leadership must establish clear policies against bullying and for healthy conflict resolution. Clarifying that bullying is unwanted, aggressive, negative behavior of any type will help employees begin to understand where to draw the lines. Clarifying what the consequences are of workplace bullying (and that the organization will enforce them) can go a long way to helping employees feel safe. Employees as a group should know what the policies are, as bullies often distort their understanding of the rules to allow their inappropriate behavior.

"Run as fast as you can!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Pros

The Berkeley Bowl is next door and the food is pretty good.

Cons

If you enjoy to walk around with your head down in fear of the Royalty & the Dictators, then this is the place for you! If not, run as fast as you can, and don't you dare look back because you might turn into stone.

Advice to Management

Get new management. Hire managers that actually care about the people that they manage. Throwing work at people and then telling them to "figure it out" is absolutely disgusting.

"I enjoy working at Dynavax; It's a fast paced environment where I can wear many hats; they encourage learning and growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Dynavax Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation; great benefits; closed between Xmas Eve and New Years Day; 20 days PTO and 12 holidays. They are flexible with start and end times, and treat employees with respect.

Cons

Changing environment; must be able to keep pace.

"the"

Former Employee - Research Associate III in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate III in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Dynavax Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really great people in my department and others.

Cons

Upper management didn't communicate well. Lay offs were common. Lot's of unhappy, stressed out people. There was no company-wide policy for encouraging or rewarding workers. Sometimes we got food, I mean, that was how they "patted us on the back"...

Advice to Management

Tell the employees why they were there: To help people? Or just to make money...?

"Great place to work"

Pros

Great product, not hard to sale, implement and train customer.

Cons

Upper management disconnect. Upper management does not value field Salesforce Salesforce vs management

Dynavax Technologies Response

Jan 6, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We don't have a salesforce. I think they have the wrong company

"Wasted Promise"

I worked at Dynavax Technologies full-time

Pros

--Some great team members
    --Competitive benefits for a company of its size
    --Fantastic food spots nearby for lunch. Pastries on fridays.
    --Company events for kids and holidays

Cons

The majority of the failings lie with upper management. There is too much focus on "image" rather than substance and an unwillingness to admit to it when mistakes are made. They get involved in problems with the studies only when issues make upper management look bad and that's too late. While most of the workers are genuinely dedicated they go unrewarded while nothing is done about poor performing employees. Decisions are made motivated by ?stocks/cost savings/saving face? that ultimately wind up costing the company more in the long run and require employees to be overworked and ultimately left to blame.

Advice to Management

Start rewarding and listening to your employees or they will continue to leave--parties won't make up for a failure to support them. Pay attention when people say something is wrong and don't wait until it is too late.