Dynavax Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Dynavax Technologies President & CEO Eddie Gray
Eddie Gray

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Run as fast as you can!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Pros

The Berkeley Bowl is next door and the food is pretty good.

Cons

If you enjoy to walk around with your head down in fear of the Royalty & the Dictators, then this is the place for you! If not, run as fast as you can, and don't you dare look back because you might turn into stone.

Advice to Management

Get new management. Hire managers that actually care about the people that they manage. Throwing work at people and then telling them to "figure it out" is absolutely disgusting.

"Negative Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous in UC Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in UC Berkeley, CA

I worked at Dynavax Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had positive experience working with the Upper management. They were courteous.

Cons

I didn't have a positive experience with the department I was working in. It was dysfunctional and poorly managed. Most team members were unhappy and didn't want to be there. No leadership and very unprofessional manager and it was brining every ones moral down. The permanent employees bullied and harassed temp employees.

Advice to Management

Leadership must establish clear policies against bullying and for healthy conflict resolution. Clarifying that bullying is unwanted, aggressive, negative behavior of any type will help employees begin to understand where to draw the lines. Clarifying what the consequences are of workplace bullying (and that the organization will enforce them) can go a long way to helping employees feel safe. Employees as a group should know what the policies are, as bullies often distort their understanding of the rules to allow their inappropriate behavior.

"Can't recommend working for Dynavax"

Pros

Not too big - hence communication *should* be easy. but - see below (cons).
    Payment average to ok-ish.

Cons

Very aggressive management. The spend a lot of time finger-pointing and searching for culprits rather than finding solutions. Hence the atmosphere is dominated by fear. I am so glad I left (like many others - hence the fluctuation is pretty high)

Advice to Management

Re-connect with your staff. Try too touch base and identify root causes rather then culprits.
    This will require a lot of courage since the root cause might lie in bad management decisions

"Eine Firma, die sich nicht für ihre Mitarbeiter interessiert"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Düsseldorf (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Düsseldorf (Germany)

I have been working at Dynavax Technologies full-time

Pros

Kleine und überschaubare Firma. Gut erreichbar zwischen Köln und Düsseldorf gelegen.

Cons

Eine Geschäftsführung, die sich nicht für ihre Mitarbeiter interessiert. Managementfehler werden auf die unteren Ebenen durchreicht. Daraus resultieren eine völlig vergiftete Arbeitsatmosphäre, frustrierte Mitarbeiter und eine sehr hohe Personalfluktuation.

"the"

Former Employee - Research Associate III in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate III in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Dynavax Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really great people in my department and others.

Cons

Upper management didn't communicate well. Lay offs were common. Lot's of unhappy, stressed out people. There was no company-wide policy for encouraging or rewarding workers. Sometimes we got food, I mean, that was how they "patted us on the back"...

Advice to Management

Tell the employees why they were there: To help people? Or just to make money...?

"Waiting for the Study to begin."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Dynavax Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynavax has some great products on the horizon, however, they don't know how to deal with a Clinical Trial Timeline.

Cons

Poor Communication between the Managers and the Clinical Staff.
    Poor understanding of how a Contractor works
    Multiple delays in start of project

Advice to Management

Don't hire a Contractor until you are prepared to use their services. GCP's require that a CRA stay in touch with the site on at least a minimum basis. A CRA needs to be paid for their time when they are contacting the sites whether the project is proceeding or on hold. If you are not prepared or are not ready to use my services, then please don't hire me at that time. Conversely, if I have signed a contract and am maintaining contact with my sites, but you are not prepared to start the project, don't be surprised or upset that I am staying in touch with the sites. If I don't do this, they will not be prepared to start the project when you want to.

"Wasted Promise"

I worked at Dynavax Technologies full-time

Pros

--Some great team members
    --Competitive benefits for a company of its size
    --Fantastic food spots nearby for lunch. Pastries on fridays.
    --Company events for kids and holidays

Cons

The majority of the failings lie with upper management. There is too much focus on "image" rather than substance and an unwillingness to admit to it when mistakes are made. They get involved in problems with the studies only when issues make upper management look bad and that's too late. While most of the workers are genuinely dedicated they go unrewarded while nothing is done about poor performing employees. Decisions are made motivated by ?stocks/cost savings/saving face? that ultimately wind up costing the company more in the long run and require employees to be overworked and ultimately left to blame.

Advice to Management

Start rewarding and listening to your employees or they will continue to leave--parties won't make up for a failure to support them. Pay attention when people say something is wrong and don't wait until it is too late.

"Great place to work"

Pros

Great product, not hard to sale, implement and train customer.

Cons

Upper management disconnect. Upper management does not value field Salesforce Salesforce vs management

Dynavax Technologies Response

Jan 6, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We don't have a salesforce. I think they have the wrong company

9. "Guter Arbeitgeber, habe mich dort wohl gefühlt."

Pros

Flache Hierarchien und der gesamte Umgang miteinander ist in Ordnung. Auch die Chancen auf einen Aufstieg sind gegeben. Kann ich weiterempfehlen.

Cons

Man sollte schon relativ nah dran wohnen, sonst gibt es schnell Probleme mit den Arbeitszeiten wegen der langen Anfahrtszeiten.

"I enjoy working at Dynavax; It's a fast paced environment where I can wear many hats; they encourage learning and growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Dynavax Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation; great benefits; closed between Xmas Eve and New Years Day; 20 days PTO and 12 holidays. They are flexible with start and end times, and treat employees with respect.

Cons

Changing environment; must be able to keep pace.