E.L. Haynes Public Charter School Reviews

1. 5.0

Your voice matters.

Feb 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative and inclusive. It is a pandemic, E.L. Haynes is making decisions with staff to determine what is best for the community as a whole. No other school in the city seems to be doing this. They take thoughtful approaches to changes and challenges, and work with staff to solve them. I believe and I know that leadership and management care about me as an employee.

Cons

Your experience with managers can be inconsistent, and this could impact your day-to-day experience at the school.

2. 4.0

El Haynes

Jan 31, 2021 - Teacher in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Structured environment, supportive staff/admin, and long tenured staff

Cons

Work load, work/life balance, outside of work expectations

3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Horrible treatment of teachers, unbelievably low expectations of students

Feb 6, 2021 - Teacher in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay for teaching, pretty good benefits too. The school has decent resources, too - I didn't have to pay as much out of pocket for supplies as I normally do.

Cons

I had a very negative experience teaching here. The expectations they have for students both behaviorally and academically are shockingly low. When I worked there, it was school policy that there are no set-in-stone consequences for misbehavior (with the exception of illegal activity). The idea being that every misbehavior should be handled on a case-by-case basis. It might sound like a good idea in theory, but in practice it was a dumpster fire of a disaster. In practice, you'd have students who would face zero actual consequences for getting in physical fights with other students. There were even situations in which students threatened (or even physically tried to harm!!) teachers and faced absolutely zero consequences besides a call home. This fostered a culture of absolute chaos. I am someone who has an anxiety disorder, and even the act of driving to work each day would induce panic attacks due to how unsafe the environment was (and how unsupportive the leadership was too). Because our consequence system had essentially no gravity, all misbehavior had to be handled within the classroom. Teachers were on their own - and the students were absolutely aware of this fact. Students would even mock teachers when they used the walkie-talkie to call admin for support. A couple of students who I had gained rapport with told me that a lot of their peers misbehave because they knew they would get away with it. In their own words they said, "we know we run this school." The academic expectations were just as low. I was expected to spoon feed answers to students on their independent work. In fact, there were multiple times that I received negative observation feedback because I did not literally provide answers to independent work with students whole group. I am not exaggerating when I say that I was literally told to get up in front of the class and announce the answers to as many questions as possible on their worksheets. Not help students self-correct answers, but literally provide the answers to students who had not even bothered to read the instructions (let alone picked up their pencil to attempt the work). When I followed through on these directives from my supervisors, I felt like I was actively harming students who already had the odds stacked against them. All of these problems stem from what seem to be misaligned incentives structures in place for the leadership. Their goals were to reduce suspensions and to raise GPAs - which are obviously great goals. However, rather than actually working to improve student behavior and academic achievement, they just moved the goalposts. If you don't want students to be suspended, the easiest way to achieve that is to just not suspend them for harmful behavior. If you want students to pass their class, you can just pressure teachers to do the schoolwork for them. The school puts forth a very glossy image, but it's really smoke and mirrors. I cannot stress how deeply I regret taking the job at EL Haynes. I wasted a year of my life there. I worked overtime almost every single day and in return, I was mistreated by leadership and by my students. I have never worked as hard in my life as I did at Haynes, and I was treated like I was lazy and incompetent by my supervisors. Please, I implore you, before you accept a job at this school, really *really* do your research. All of the negative review you read are true, and then some.

Continue reading
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Teacher Here

Dec 3, 2020 - English Teacher in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Autonomy to lead your classroom as you see fit. They value teachers. Diverse student population.

Cons

Pay isn't that great compared to other schools.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Strong Community Focused on Social Equity

Sep 17, 2020 - Data Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Caring community, mission-focused, passionate, supportive, skilled

Cons

No real cons. This is a great community.

6. 5.0

awesome place to work

Aug 11, 2020 - Support Staff
    Business Outlook

Pros

At the elementary school staff is passionate and cares for students' education and progress deeply.

Cons

Needs more structure and support

7. 2.0

Has potential

Jul 27, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

some school teams are strong and supportive

Cons

Policies and enforcement vary depending on relationship

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to grow and learn

Jan 2, 2020 - Middle School Special Education Teacher in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers generally friendly and helpful

Cons

Racial discrimination, lack of consistency from adults in the building

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Hard Work Pays Off

Apr 2, 2019 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone works super hard. The culture is fantastic and the supervisors are great.

Cons

Everyone works super hard, so you have to do that too. Teaching isn't a flexible job option.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great School Community

Feb 14, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive adult culture; commitment to equity; connections with the community through events like Soccer Day and Black History Month Celebration

Cons

It's a small district, so you're often the only one doing your job, makes it harder to collaborate.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 English Reviews