E*TRADE Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
E*TRADE Financial CEO Karl A. Roessner
Karl A. Roessner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance as well as pay and benefits" (in 47 reviews)

• "Top notch training and support to obtain your Series 7 and 63" (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is not the best I've seen" (in 21 reviews)

• "It is a call center environment that will require you to interact with difficult clients" (in 40 reviews)

1. "Great workplace"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great program to start your career with
    So many opportunities to grow and learn different areas of the business
    Great work/life balance as well as pay and benefits
    Support from top management for career development and growth

Cons

None that I have encountered so far

2. "It’s a good company"

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

Things move too slow. Too many meetings about nothing

3. "Financial Services Representative"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative Associate in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative Associate in Sandy, UT

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love everything about E*TRADE. The culture is great. Relaxed professional environment. Constantly have food in the office and top performers per team each week are bought lunch on Fridays. Have a lot of fun events. Clients trust the brand.

Cons

Absolutely none, this is the place to build your career in financial services.

Advice to Management

Keep the free food coming! I love the incentives, food, and events. Relocating for wife who got accepted to out of state law school, else I would have stayed.

"Good Potential, But Pockets of Toxicity, Cronyism, Gender Inequality - Alpharetta"

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time

Pros

- Good training coming in
    - People are generally nice and helpful
    - benefits are generally good
    - there are some members of leadership who really care
    - E*TRADE has a great brand and is well recognized in its space
    - Some presence of women in leadership
    - efforts to take care of employees through meals every once in a while
    - CEO engages with employees when visits
    - moving to a new facility!

Cons

As an employee, speaking out about things that are HR red flags is the kiss of death. Thus, employees are reluctant to speak out. Some examples of things I've personally witness or were shared with me:
    - some people in leadership openly hitting on employees, even some cases commenting about undergarments/anatomy. To be fair, this represents only a few leaders, but this goes unreported due to the perceived oppressive male dominated leadership team.
    - management speaking inappropriately about women behind closed doors, using derogatory, demeaning words
    - While many leaders do want to maintain a meritocracy, there are glaring examples of cronyism: people who were banned by HR to be in a leadership position due to entire teams speaking up but are given responsibilities of a manager without the title due to who they're friends with...and rewarding them with roles where they work intimately with our own executives.
    -front line managers have varying management styles, which is great, but some are so varying that moving from one team to another was like entering a new culture. Think there needs to be more focus on leadership training surrounding core values to create some commonality amongst leaders.

Advice to Management

It seems there's been an effort to clean up some of the issues with treatment of women (i believe a couple people were recently let go due to this), however, what needs to happen is the an intense focus to create an employee-centric culture fostered by awareness of how words/actions impact women and other protected/underrepresented employees.

While I know that all companies have these problems to some degree (after all, companies are made up of PEOPLE), the toxic orbits that are created by the cons listed above reverberate more and are more severe than anything i've seen in the decades i've been in this industry.

I know this is going to be hard for leadership to read that some women (and others) feel this way, but I hope this review allows some people to take a hard, introspective look to see what each of us could do to truly transform E*TRADE into a great destination for new talent. Until then, I don't know if I can recommend E*TRADE for the under-represented.

"On top of it"

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time

Pros

I'm a recent hire and was actively looking and applying for jobs and Etrade did 2 things very differently than others. They were so quick to respond. They got back to me quickly about me application and then kept me amazingly informed along the way. The second was doing things when they said they would as well as being on time for appointment. I didn't have to wait long for my interviews or guess at the results of them because they told me by what time I would know and I did know by that time whether it was a yes or no.

Cons

So far I have been very impressed so I have no complaints about them.

6. "Very Impressed"

Current Employee - Associate Financial Representative in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Financial Representative in Sandy, UT

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, Friendly Co-workers, Series Exam Training

Cons

None that I have found

Advice to Management

N/A

E*TRADE Financial Response

Aug 6, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We value and appreciate your feedback. We are thrilled that you are enjoying your experience at E*TRADE!

7. "You get what you put in"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Sandy, UT

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunities
    Benefits
    Atmosphere
    Coworkers are great

Cons

Would love to see them not have a snack area that charges an arm and a leg. Pretty ridiculous that we have to pay an upwards of 7-8 bucks for an energy drink and a sandwich. The company should be able to help us out a little bit.

With that being said, company is awesome. Management is great, culture is great, and if you are stat and goal driven with a fierce competitive nature, this is the place for you

Advice to Management

Create a more open work eviroment. Entire office feels like a giant call center

8. "Decent but needs improvement"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really like the current leadership they are really are trying to improve things, however, middle management needs a lot of work. Great work-life balance and overall decently good benefits. Great place for a college grad to start will learn a lot straight out of school. If you're interested in finance you can learn a lot here.

Cons

The engineering culture needs work. Too many principal engineers here that really shouldn't be making decisions. People need to work on their soft skills you'll find both ends of the spectrum here.

Advice to Management

Improve the hiring process low-quality engineers hire other low-quality engineers. If your asking interview questions like "how do you reverse a string" it doesn't surprise me that no one actually reviews code and give constructive criticism on ways to improve. Enforce a more stringent engineering process get people to break their bad habits they won't change on their own and need a catalyst. Also, can we teach middle management how to communicate properly? Please focus on keeping your great engineers!!

9. "Associate Financial Services Representative"

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and interview process was smooth.

Cons

As of right now, I have not found any.

E*TRADE Financial Response

Aug 6, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

10. "Product Manager"

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time

Pros

For the most part the company promotes a good team environment. There are end of Year Parties and Summer Family Events.

Cons

Operation group managers are allowed to treat and speak to their employees like they are garbage and use bully tactics.