E*TRADE Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

E*TRADE Financial Reviews

Updated August 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance is the best I've experienced in my career (in 43 reviews)

• This is a decent place to get the 7 and 63 (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is not desirable (in 18 reviews)

• Inbound call center, so performance metrics are highly monitored (in 35 reviews)

1. "Operation Analyst"

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time

Pros

Great environment, nice people, every great expirence

Cons

nice people, very kind, like to work here

Advice to Management

need to improve and host many events

E*TRADE Financial Response

Jul 10, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

We value and appreciate your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

"Financial Services Representative"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top notch training and support to obtain your Series 7 and 63. New hire training process aka their incubator is a well thought out program that decently prepares for the overall job (taking the exams and their new hire program lasts around 4 months). You are a jack of all trades and you receive valuable high level education of the financial services industry including most importantly your licenses which you can take anywhere ;).

Cons

Now the CONS! After the first couple of months the position starts to erode and drain your inner spiritual, emotional, and high level creative thought patterns. After a few months you feel that you are a robot trapped in some Bill Murray Groundhog Day nightmare with no light at the end of the tunnel. Bringing a flask is strongly encouraged! Finally and one of the most important point is that I felt there was little room for growth to actually make a living (40k-50k to me is not cutting it)...their financial consultant sales roles are a joke and you cant really control or manage a business as you see fit...there are only robo advisor products and a set list of pre-approved ETF's and mutual funds to sell. So you are really constrained by the companies policies and products. So overall, it's a great company to get your feet wet in the industry and learn the basics but not for a career.

Advice to Management

All employees should receive stock options and ESPP shares regardless of position and need to change their sales/consultant positions if they want to reduce turnover. In addition their technology/website is lagging many features/functionality of other competitors like Ameritrade and Schwab and is in dire need of an upgrade on back and front end of the house.

"Great Company, Great Culture"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hiring process overall was smooth; about two months from recruiter contact to hire date.

E*TRADE is a great company to work for. The work/life balance is the best I've experienced in my career. Everyone in sales support, especially those in the Alpharetta office are a great group of people to work with. The benefits are above average in terms of medical and ancillary insurance. Good coffee flows freely, and leadership is always treating us with food celebrations, yoga and fitness classes on the green, and logo branded trinkets.

More importantly, I feel my contributions are valued and appreciated. Great company culture here; you feel like you can make a positive impact within your organization.

Cons

The 401K benefits and the onboarding process aren't terrible, but could be better. The pros of working here far outweigh the cons.

4. "Financial Services Representative"

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, lots of overtime

Cons

low pay, tied to the phone with ACD

Advice to Management

None

"Good opportunities, Great pay, but no room for growth"

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For a financial advisor, there is no cap on your quarterly bonus. As a Top-5 producing Advisor, quarterly bonus checks were consistently in the 30k-40k range (which made up for the pathetic base salary). Work-Life balance is pretty good, and the managers of the three branches in Cupertino, Palo Alto, and SF are all solid people who expect you to do your job and ask for help when you need it. The back office / Service folks form a great support network, Many have been around for years, and if you keep the stupids to a minimum then they'll be happy to help when it's needed.

Cons

Note - You will not be able to live off your base salary as a financial advisor in the SF Bay Area. Plan ahead, as you shouldn't expect to make a bonus for the first 1-3 quarters.
    The Management at E*Trade (Regional and above) is uber-political, and has been for years. Every time there's a change at the top, the new leadership brings in their old cronies, and the caustic wheel turns again. Management also seems to be willing to let grudges be enforced, which leads to a lot of bitterness. Idzik was a much needed firm and steady hand for the company, but was let go when the Board got greedy.
    HR is a joke at E*Trade, especially in terms of responding to internal complaints (favoritism abounds), and the current regulatory environment mixed with the new CEO (former E*Trade General Counsel - Why would you put a lawyer in charge?!) has lead to a compliance nightmare for the front-line sales folks.

Advice to Management

Make up your minds as to whether you're a financial services firm, or a tech company - Your Financial Consultants are frustrated that the tools they're being given are years behind the competition, and the software engineers in Menlo have no idea that they have financial advisors working less than 2 miles away. You profess to be a tech company, but there's no equity offering except for top performers (almost mandatory in Silicon Valley).
    Worst is that there is no growth opportunity or possibility for career advancement. Your top competitors (Morgan, Merrill, Schwab, Fidelity) all have tracks to promote from within (FA, Senior, VP, Private Client, etc.), but as a Financial Consultant at E*Trade, you're stuck. It should be no wonder that you have a revolving door in the retail branches.

6. "I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

Pros

Work/Life balance is very good, and I get a chance to work in a friendly and professional environment in a very supportive team.

Cons

As of yet, none that I have experienced.

7. "Client Consultant"

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time

Pros

The work-life balance is great. The expectation is that the reps are adults and should be treated as such. The management team is supportive and invested in the success of each rep. The work atmosphere for the sales team is competitive but collaborative. I really have enjoyed my team with E*Trade.

Cons

The biggest con is probably the base salary. I am a big overtime worker and there is no opportunity to get paid for overtime.

8. "Awesome Company Culture"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I appreciate the collaborative environment I experience here. People are very friendly and make working together enjoyable. I still have a lot of time to work independently and never feel overwhelmed with attention or neglected from my manager.

My team and manager are constantly encouraging me to explore topics, ask questions, and consider my own career path while learning about new job functions.

Cons

No wifi and I personally think 401k benefits could be better.

"Great company, god culture, good benefits"

Current Employee - Large-Market Senior Service Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Large-Market Senior Service Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love the culture and people I get to work with. Company benefits package is above par - health insurance, paid parental leave for both parents, 75% match on 401k, etc.

Cons

Salary info is. It public but after a while you start to find out things here and there. Outside hires seem to get hired it with higher salaries than internal promotions for the same position.
    Also, not everyone gets the opportunity to receive or participate in equity programs.

Advice to Management

Every so often salaries should be balanced based on title, tenure, and performance. If your top performer is the lowest paid member of his or her team it incentivized that person to look elsewhere for work.

10. "Branch Service Representative"

Current Employee - Branch Service Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Branch Service Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

E*TRADE is a great learning environment for a person just entering the industry, the role of Branch Service Representative in particular. They will fully sponsor representatives to get all appropriate licenses (7, 66, etc.). The BSR role will give you insight into sales, compliance, administration, our platform, and general securities industry 'know-how'. This is a very good starting point for anyone interested in the public markets and/or wealth management.

In regards to our branch management, you can approach our managers with any issue/question, they have a total open door policy and have a very hands on approach with new hires.

The compensation and coverage benefits are very inline with industry standards.

In terms of career development, within the first few months you'll be asked where you see yourself growing in the company, what your goals are, etc. They want you to help you develop within the company and offer guidance along the way.

Cons

As of yet, none that I have experienced.

Advice to Management

Continue to hold all employees accountable for making sure the client experience is top grade. This will set us aside from our competitors.