E*TRADE Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

E*TRADE Financial Reviews

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance is the best I've experienced in my career (in 42 reviews)

• This is a decent place to get the 7 and 63 (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is not desirable (in 18 reviews)

• Inbound call center, so performance metrics are highly monitored (in 35 reviews)

1. "Operations Representative"

Former Employee - Operations Representative in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Representative in Arlington, VA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people there are great!

Cons

Not working there is the downside.

Advice to Management

The management team are very hard working professionals and they know what they are doing. I have no advice to give.

"Etrade review"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good life/work balance and good insurance plan

Cons

Big company issues like inefficient communications between different teams and lake of motivations to work.

3. "Phone job"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Sandy, UT

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great if you love getting yelled at by customers

Cons

Micromanagement. Little room for growth/raises, required overtime regardless of your personal schedule

"Sr. Financial Services Representative - Stock Plans"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Services Representative in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get your licenses, valuable experience coming out of college.

Cons

Hard to move out of service role without acquiring additional licenses.

"So called start up with terrible management"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office was in a great location (midtown and jersey city), certain employees can be friendly

Cons

Management is a wreck. Everyone is just out there trying to keep their jobs. Upper management doesn't treat the people below them as people based on their job titles. The company sells itself as having a "startup vibe" but its as corporate as can be. Very inconsiderate of personal and religious needs of employees. If you want to grow your career and enjoy your work, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Get rid of current management. E*Trade will go nowhere with such unhappy workers and bozos at the top.

"Good people, good products"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time

Pros

Leading edge technology
    Dedicated to customer satisfaction
    Integrity in processes
    Accountability from bottom to top
    Smart, driven CEO (new as of September 2016)

Cons

Confusing internal messaging
    Difficulty in eliminating silos/defensiveness about group-specific efforts

Advice to Management

Keep improving communication (past 6 months have shown marked improvement): transparency is motivational

"Branch operations"

Former Employee - Branch Service Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Branch Service Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to learn more about the finance industry through branch operations. Position allows employee to interact with clients on a daily basis.

Cons

Not too much training at all. Management is present but when an issue arises they tell you to do research on your own which can lead to to a sink or swim work environment.

Advice to Management

Provide more training and be more involved in coaching and mentoring employees.

"A good starting point"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time

Pros

It's a great place to begin a career in finance, with plenty of opportunity to move around within the organization. The management is generally good to work with (pretty easy going for a financial company, really).

Cons

There's a real lack of support for development beyond the new hire experience, leaving a lot of talent with only a few developmental opportunities. The organization seems to be a in a permanent state of emergency, and always struggling to have enough people in the right spots, while being entirely overstaffed in others. The technology has been languishing since the housing crash, and the company lacks true direction.

And the compensation is much better at other firms.

Advice to Management

Competitors are coming from every angle, and you're trying to push an advice product on a market that is saturated with companies that can do it better. You need to develop a clear directive and pursue new markets where you can compete, instead of being an "also there". If Fido and Schwab don't get you, fintechs will.

9. "Employee oriented organization."

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my experience, I've found that E*trade fosters a collaborative environment, promotes employee growth and gives employees a platform to perform tasks that will help them gain the confidence and skills necessary to advance.

Cons

I feel that they should broaden their staff auditor recruitment to include a wider base of universities. The organization could gain a wider base of young talent by doing so.

Advice to Management

No advise to offer.

"A waste of (not quite) a year"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Competitive pay and benefits
    - Plenty of good options for lunch close by; be sure to pay Wildflour a visit
    - Team had semi-regular potluck lunches too; good for building camaraderie

Cons

- borderline oppressive corporate culture
    - it's pretty clear higher-ups in Menlo (CA) make all the decisions and the IT folk in Alpharetta just have to put up with it.
    - inflexible hours - WFH policies are subject to the whims of your director and no company-wide policy exists; additionally, you can't take a partial PTO day - only full days are allowed
    - high turnover - my team swelled to around 18 roughly after I joined in Sep. '15 and half have since left the company, including the director who somehow fell into a better job elsewhere
    - was told I would be working on one platform during interviews (the web application) but once hired was placed on the Salesforce dev team. SalesForce might be a dream for business types but not a single developer on my team liked it.
    - was never given any training on the code base or what it does. "here's the repo" was all I got.
    - after being hired, was given no direction or training (outside of online courses on basic company policy). In 9 months, was given one project that was perpetually held up by business. After sufficient needling of my manager and team director for more work, was finally given something that was clearly of little to no concern for the company. This wasn't a team thing either - for some reason, it was just me who wasn't getting work.
    - the process for committing and promoting code is unbelievably complicated. You'll spend more time putting together a change order than actually writing your code enhancements.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your employees. Don't ignore them when they ask for work then wonder why they can't stay on task for 40 hours a week.
    - If you have issues with a direct report, tell them rather than complaining to everyone else.
    - Loosen up. E*Trade was a financial tech startup born in the Silicon Valley; the Alpharetta office feels like a stuffy NY firm.
    - Seriously, stop treating employees like meat. The culture is rotten to the core, and everything points back to the directors, executives, etc. in Menlo.