E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be difficult" (in 66 reviews)

• "Pretty long hours most of the time" (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Gem in the Central Valley"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have had the best management and team here at Gallo. It is truly a family environment, regardless of the company size. I feel privileged to work with incredibly talented people who care for each other at a personal level, and in an environment that has given me the challenges and opportunities to keep advancing in my career over my nine years here. I look forward to keep growing with this amazing company!

Cons

There's always more to do than there is time.

Oct 22, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for spending the last 9 years with us. We are lucky to have you and appreciate you taking the time to share your Gallo experience with us. Cheers!

2. "Microbiologist"

Current Employee - Microbiologist in San Miguel, CA
    Current Employee - Microbiologist in San Miguel, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good company, treats all employees with equal respect. So many career opportunities, great benefits.

Cons

Most important roles are based in Modesto, other wineries in North Coast and Central Coast feels a bit remote for career development.

Advice to Management

Invest more in PBU, open new channels for PBU employees to grow in the coastal regions.

Nov 16, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review. We're so glad to hear you are enjoying the benefits/opportunities Gallo has to offer. We will be passing your feedback along to our Leadership team. Keep up the great work!... More

3. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-"Promote from within" mindset across all departments. In addition to the upward mobility within your department, Gallo encourages employees to get curious and learn more about roles & departments outside of their own. This practice creates a very collaborative environment across the company and an opportunity for employees to learn new skills and marketable experience.
    -Dynamic culture that values innovation. Gallo is constantly pushing to separate from the "norm" and even provides employees with an internal portal to submit ideas.
    -Extremely high employee retention across the company. You can find tenured staff in every department and they're not always management level.

Cons

-Due to the large size of the company, there are quite a few software management systems to have to learn. It can be a bit overwhelming to work within so many platforms, so if there is a way to streamline the process it would improve the on-boarding experience.

Advice to Management

-Company perks are more plentiful than what new hire orientation covers. More details or communication around what employees can opt into would be appreciated.
    -I was given the campus tour once I was hired on at Gallo and it was awesome. I think providing candidates in the latter part of the interview process with an option to take the tour will greatly influence their decision to join Gallo against any other company offers.

Nov 6, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback, we will be sure to pass it along. Cheers!

4. "The best job I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Sugar Tester in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Sugar Tester in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work outdoors, which I love!
    The pay is good

Cons

Sugar Testing is only seasonal

Nov 5, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We will be sharing your feedback with our leadership and HR team and we are so glad to hear that you are enjoying your time at Gallo. Cheers!

5. "Great Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - QAOS Lab Tech II in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - QAOS Lab Tech II in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for growth, shadowing other departments is encouraged! Lots to learn, great pay & benefits. Great 401k match also. Fruit baskets every week. Company luncheons.

Cons

Management is hands off, which is good and bad.

Advice to Management

Be observant of your technicians, not everyone is going to speak up.

Nov 1, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback and want you to know we are listening. Please continue to share your thoughts!

6. "Great place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment to work and build relationships

Cons

Pace of Change an how employees are prepared for the change

Advice to Management

Listen a bit more closely to subordinates

Nov 12, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review and your 8+ years of service. We appreciate all you do to make Gallo a great place to work!

7. "Fresno Winery"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clovis, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clovis, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Overall work environment is enjoyable; team members are passionate about what they do and seem to enjoy the challenges and complexities of the winery environment. Great work/life balance even through harvest is a pull on families the off-season and DT make up for the harvest demand. Overall site leadership team is very good.

Cons

Being distanced from HQ in Modesto, administrative and HR task tend to take longer then they should and can be frustrating.

Oct 24, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

We’re so glad to hear you are enjoying the work/life balance and other perks Gallo has to offer. We’re continuously working to streamline processes for efficiency and welcome feedback on how we may... More

8. "Working at Gallo as a Mechanic"

Current Employee - Level 7 Electrician Mechanic in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Level 7 Electrician Mechanic in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay for the location, Great group of workers to work with. Safety always first.

Cons

Moral could be better, which management could help with. To much by the book management. Start and End of shift time could be better.

Advice to Management

Help bring up Moral. Spend more time out in the field with workers. Be more appreciative for working long periods safely.

Oct 24, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your feedback and 5+ years of service. We appreciate your diligence in ensuring a safe work environment day in and day out. Regarding your feedback around team moral, I would like to... More

9. "Gallo IS the BEST!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Healdsburg, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Healdsburg, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best reason I have for working at Gallo is the People! 10+ years later and they continue to challenge & support me both professionally & personally - we truly are like family!

Cons

Our pace of change is faster than most, so you have to keep your running shoes on at all times!

Advice to Management

Continue to celebrate our successes!

Oct 24, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks so much for your 10+ years of service! We appreciate all you do to make Gallo a great place to work. Great things to come!

10. "A Place to Grow!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Over 9 years with Gallo, I don't think I have ever had the same day twice; in my book, this is a unique and wonderful thing. I have been consistently challenged to grow professionally in each role I've occupied. What's more, I've been surrounded by individuals who've not just become friends, but who also inspire me to grow and succeed.

Cons

Nothing to share at the moment.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote and inspire authenticity, and continue to provide opportunities for growth and challenge.

Oct 22, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your thoughtful review and for the last 9 years you have spent with Gallo. Cheers!