E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
E. & J. Gallo Winery Co-President and CEO Joe Gallo
Joe Gallo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In my department there is a strong emphasis of work life balance which is really important to me (in 52 reviews)

• Amazing culture and great people (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult (in 58 reviews)

• During harvest you will work long hours (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Engaging place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing category, smart engaged people, and always looking to improve

Cons

Be ready for a fast pace and willingness to change directions

Mar 22, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review. We are thrilled to hear that you are so engaged and happy and we appreciate all that you do to make Gallo great. Cheers!

2. "The best place to work that I can imagine!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart, driven, supportive colleagues who are team players and wonderful to be around; excellent, experienced management; great benefits; competitive compensation; serious about corporate values; company really values employees and it shows.

Cons

Location in Modesto is a bit of a drive from the Bay Area but doable (reverse commute).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Apr 20, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It makes us so happy to hear that you enjoy working at Gallo and we want you to know how much we appreciate all of your hard work and dedication... More

3. "Gallo Winery in Modesto"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many pros for working at Gallo Winery. First of all, the industry discount for wine tasting is excellent and the Gallo wine shop is great for buying product personally at a discounted rate as well. Gallo has an awesome Vitality Health Program that you can participate in to better your health and earn neat prizes (ie. Amazon gift card, Fit-bit, etc.). In my department there is a strong emphasis of work life balance which is really important to me. Gallo also really cares about their employees and the community, and that is shown from things like employee match programs, our employee resource groups, volunteer opportunities, Gallo hosted Bass fishing tournament, an annual company picnic, and a holiday card from the Gallo family to every employee.

Cons

It's a large company so there are a variety of personalities (but you'll get that anywhere) to balance. The location isn't the most ideal but I lot of people learn to love Modesto and I personally don't mind it.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I appreciate the opportunity to have a career with a company that cares about its people.

Apr 20, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review. We are thrilled and proud to hear that you enjoy so many aspects of working here, and know how much we appreciate all that... More

4. "A Grape Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great people
    -Great product and perks like the wine shop, wine country trips, product tastings
    -Ability to move cross-functionally
    -There is always an opportunity to challenge yourself
    -Informal and formal mentorship
    -Work/Life balance is respected and is a real thing
    -Corporate values are built into the culture
    -Leadership cares about your success

Cons

-Less flexibility depending on function but that occurs at every company
    -HR leadership can be too conservative sometimes. Take more risks to try and match the innovation we see on the other side of the business.

Advice to Management

Continue to ask your employees what is important to them and customize your management style based on their feedback, if possible (i.e. learning and development opportunities, schedule flexibility, career advancement).

Apr 16, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

First and foremost, we have to give you credit for the excellent grape pun! Secondly, we truly appreciate your thoughtful and thorough feedback. Just know that we are listening and that we appreciate... More

5. "Great Company Culture!"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They say that in a day, you often see your co-workers more than your family and the people here make it easy to come to work every day. Overall, good work-life balance and great company culture. Plenty of development opportunities available. Two East Bay shuttles available for the folks that have a farther commute. I feel that my work is valued and appreciated. Best company I've worked for so far.

Cons

Location is not ideal but it makes sense as it is a family company that started here. The cafe on-site is not very large but encourages employees to go out and support local businesses.

Apr 13, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you so much for your amazing review. We are so thankful to have people like you who embody our corporate values and love what they do. We are very lucky to have you!

6. "Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and a very cooperative environment to work in.

Cons

There are no cons besides commuting to this workplace.

Apr 13, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We truly appreciate your feedback. Cheers!

7. "Proud to Work Here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly professional company where people are kind, supportive, and are genuinely aligned around our corporate values.

Cons

Health benefits (PPO specifically) are considerably more expensive and offer way less coverage than they once did.

Advice to Management

When promoting Managers or other people leaders, please take the time to speak to their direct reports to make sure they embody the qualities of a strong people leader. This is just (if not more) important than the projects they take on or their ability to "manage up."

Apr 5, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review. We appreciate and respect your feedback and we are so happy to hear that you love what you do. Cheers!

8. "Gallo is a solid place to work."

Current Employee - Facilities Clerk in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Clerk in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gallo is a company where you can change jobs multiple times over the course of your career and still work for the same company. I like that I can build a long tenure with a single company and not have to worry about being stuck in any one department or aspect of the business indefinitely. I appreciate the many opportunities for growth within Gallo and how actively growth and change are encouraged by Management.

Cons

As a single Mom there are days I really wish that there was an onsite child care facility. My position doesn't allow me to work from home so some days I have to choose to take paid time off to stay home when I could otherwise be at work. Gallo is so good at supporting working parents in all other ways, I wish this option could be added to their business model.

9. "Great company with opportunity to grow"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefit of being a family-owned company is that there's a lot of stability--nobody's going to get fired to meet quarterly goals. Gallo is very proactive about future growth and innovation. They treat their employees very well and there is a lot of opportunity to move around the company.

Cons

Being in the heart of the Central Valley and from an Irish Catholic family means that the company culture is more conservative. White males receive more promotions and dominate upper management. Recently there have been efforts to put more women in leadership positions, but there is still a wide discrepancy.

Advice to Management

Hire diversity and promote more women. This does not feel like a LGBT friendly company, despite what other sources seem to say. Active work needs to be done to dismantle the white male hierarchy and provide opportunities for women and people of color. I would love to see some workshops take place around LGBT issues because it does not always feel comfortable to work here as a queer-identified person.

Apr 20, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I appreciate your honest feedback. With regards to your specific LGBTQ feedback, I wanted to share that in partnership with our LGBTQ+ Employee Resource... More

"Best Company I Ever Worked For"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Good salary, good benefits, true work life balance, work is fulfilling, kind people with good intentions work here. The company truly believes in its Corporate Values.

Cons

Not as progressive as others in the market. How to get promoted is not well identified nor applied the same way throughout different departments. It is not clear where one falls in a department nor how they can move up. Many HR employees are inexperienced and often not helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This is a fantastic place to work. We appreciate all you do for the employees. Consider adopting new technology and being more progressive - we need more females in leadership positions.

Apr 2, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We truly believe that our Corporate Values have laid the foundation for our great culture and we’re glad you have seen this in your everyday... More