E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "In my department there is a strong emphasis of work life balance which is really important to me" (in 57 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people" (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be difficult" (in 61 reviews)

• "Pretty long hours most of the time" (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Gallo ROCKS!"

Current Employee - Paralegal, Senior Environmental Specialist in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal, Senior Environmental Specialist in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

E&J Gallo Winery is the most progressive organization I have worked for. The Gallo family's investment in the quality of life of their employees is felt on a daily basis through work-life balance opportunities, perks like onsite food truck and farmers' markets, summer work hours, 'no-meeting' Friday afternoons, and discounts for personal services including cell phone service, dry cleaning, travel, rental cars, and more. It's great to wake up each morning excited to go to work!

Cons

Haven't come across any in my 14-year tenure yet that are worthy of mentioning. That's a great thing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jun 21, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

We're so glad you're enjoying these "perks." Thank you for your 10+ years of service and your review. Please continue to provide us with feedback, we care!

2. "Love Working Here"

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Livingston, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Livingston, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They treat us very well and make the job feel rewarding

Cons

Some jobs roles are way more stressful than others

Sep 21, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks so much for your great review. It made our day! Thanks for all you do. Cheers!

3. "A great career - not a job"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Incredible employees that form a unique, competitive, and fun culture owned by a family that cares about it's people and gives what is needed to succeed.

Cons

All of sales starts at the bottom - not a Con to those of us that did it, but some may not agree with the process.

Sep 14, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review and for all you do!

""Built on relationships" (aka. It's all about who you know.)"

Current Employee - Manager in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and opportunities to grow if you're willing to jump around from role to role or department to department.

Cons

1. Company hasn't figured out how to continuously reward high functioning individual contributors which leads employees to constantly shift from role to role and/or department to department. 2. There seems to be a lack of career planning- its pushed down to the employee ("you're responsible for your own success"). There's also heavy emphasis placed on time served when it should be merit. 4. Special dispensations are abundant, but its all about who you know.

Advice to Management

Tear down the 'old white male' walls built around certain job roles/departments and add transparency to pay. (The later will help with the former.)

Sep 18, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We appreciate your transparency, but would also recommend reaching out to your HR Business Partner regarding your concerns around career planning and rotations... More

5. "Great industry, solid family owned company"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work at Gallo because of the opportunities I have for growth and development, here in the Central Valley. I love the wine & spirits industry and the folks that I work with here. Our corporate values really resonate, and keep me engaged in the work I am doing.

Cons

The pace can be fast, and it can be hard to keep up with the workload. Aligning on priorities and being aware of the number of meetings you attend is key to success and carving out time to get the work done.

Advice to Management

Continue to think about ways to reward and recognize employees, and offer them flexibility, so they can balance life outside of work with the deliverables you need as business leaders.

Sep 7, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your thorough feedback. Employees like you help us continue to improve! Cheers!

6. "not the same"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

was a great company before the reorgaization

Cons

employees no longer valued

Sep 5, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Even though you are no longer with Gallo, your experience is still very important to us. Would you be willing to reach out and describe your... More

"Great opportunity, people, very low work life balance, not a great location"

Former Employee - Technology in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Technology in Modesto, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

The people are talented, smart, driven, and work really hard. Lots of opportunity if you are driven. They want you to succeed, and help provide opportunities for those who are high potential.

Cons

Very little work life balance. Experience of the company is very dependent upon the leadership in your area. Some groups are asked to do more and more and more and more with less and less - and their leaders are rewarded for that, regardless of the impact on the team.

Advice to Management

The company needs to get real, candid feedback from the boots on the ground, and tie that rating to executive performance compensation for direct managers, all the way up to executive management levels. It’s not ok to drive your people into the ground to accomplish things - especially when the company is in a location that makes it a challenge to attract talent. Rate and compensate your leaders on percentage of vacation taken by their teams, job satisfaction, and 360 reviews from at least 2 levels below them in addition to their performance, and you will change the culture for the better.

Aug 29, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your detailed review. We take your feedback around work-life balance very seriously, and we will be sharing your review with our IT leadership team. We appreciate all of your hard work... More

8. "Depends on you department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery (More than 3 years)

Pros

Possible to get good experience if management likes you and you toe the line.

Cons

Favoritism runs rampant. Some middle management incompetence.

Sep 4, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your feedback and we wish you the best of luck in your future career endeavors.

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hayward, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people work for the company

Cons

At times employees are given unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

Work life balance can be a struggle as a sales representative

Aug 30, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We value your feedback and encourage you to reach out to your HR Business Partner to discuss your concerns around work-life balance and job... More

"Advice to Those Looking to Join"

Former Employee - Chain Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Chain Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Recruitment team/process is phenomenal and the sales training program is second to none
    -Job security/recession-proof industry
    -Great team atmosphere amongst fellow reps
    -Competitive Pay/Benefits
    -Chance at moving up in the distributor/company
    -Discounted wine and often times free wine to take home

Cons

-I worked in one of the most difficult territories in the nation so I cannot speak for everyone. I will say if you’re placed in a premium market expect micro management, lots of pressure and very long hours. If you’re willing to put in time and be patient with management’s demands, you will be fine, but burned out quick.
    -While the potential for promotion is amazing, often times, district managers and even a few higher up managers lack leadership skills and it shows through unnecessary intimidation over very minute things. Positive reinforcement from managers to reps could be better.
    -No bonuses/commissions- just a few trips and random dinners and theme park trips for top reps. Definitely an area of improvement to increase morale. Even if you do work hard and sell, there’s a good chance you won’t see any reward.
    -Turnover is gigantic in this organization- the job is difficult with early mornings and manual labor.
    -Work/Life balance is poor. Vacation time is blacked out all of Oct, Nov and Dec. If you don’t have family close by, it’s difficult during the holidays. There were several times I worked 18+ hours a day having to prepare for visits from very demanding senior managers; That all depends on your territory.
    -Know your worth- if you aren’t happy in this role, bounce. Many many other companies across all industries would welcome you with open arms having Gallo on your resume.

Advice to Management

I worked with a lot of bright individuals from amazing universities who ultimately left after being burned down in the sales rep and district manager positions. While I think the sales rep is a fair way to evaluate incoming talent, I don’t think it’s the best. Slow down the promotional process. While it’s great young people have an early shot at management, it has negative consequences on the sales side.

Aug 24, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please know we will be sharing this review with our sales leadership in an effort to make improvements moving forward. To address a few of your concerns... More