E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews

Found 844 of over 1,583 reviews

4.3

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Central Valley Living....Long hours and above average efforts are not exceptional but expected(in 33 reviews)
  • "I think not, and when morale is addressed with upper management the answer is it's up to you at your site to keep people happy around you.(in 25 reviews)
  • "Middle managers need more preparation(in 15 reviews)
  • "clear favoritism,(in 14 reviews)
  • "Low salary compared to competitors(in 12 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of E. & J. Gallo Winery and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Wonderful place to establish a career for the long run!

Apr 6, 2022 - Supply Chain Management Lead in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Culture! Amazing career progression! Management and HR always encourage people to move to different departments and grow with the company! A Career for everyone! So many different departments and positions to expand your experiences! Local company! Living in the Central Valley and avoiding commuting is great! Benefits are great! Job security! Growing industry and company which thrives in any type of economy. Products are well diversified to maintain sales through growing and declining global economies.

Cons

Since so many people excel in their positions at a short time window, at times it's difficult to get training documents or standard operating procedures for the roles when someone is new to the position. Sometimes it could be the mentality of learning by trial. Training procedures and documentations should be a higher priority for every position with such high movement due to promotions and career growth.

Gallo Leadership

Thank you for your detailed review! We appreciate your feedback and want you to know that we hear you. We will pass your feedback along to the leadership team. Cheers!

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Place to Work

May 24, 2022 - Lab Technician in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great experience. People there are friendly. You get to help make something people love. Always learning something new. Company really always want you to keep on growing.

Cons

None. . . . .

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

People are leaving for a reason

May 23, 2022 - Executive in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting industry, respectful of personal space/family, respectful culture, company will try hard to help find a job for you within the company (i.e., you won't get fired unless there's good reason)

Cons

What was once a vibrant culture with a family of employees who worked hard despite the relatively low pay and poor location is now reduced to being just another company. What has changed? CEO unfortunately doesn't embody the corporate value of humility. He has low EQ and has placed/hired people around him that have equally low humility and EQ. This has led to low morale, and everyone looking for jobs outside of the company. If you're looking for a place with leadership who will empower, inspire, and develop you, then you'll need to go back into a time machine to join Gallo under prior CEO.

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Stable industry but low pay

Apr 6, 2022 - Project Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a stable industry, regardless of the economy. The recession in 2009 and the recent pandemic have shown that other companies and industries may have huge economic impact, causing job loss and other ripple effects, but the Wine industry remains strong regardless, if not even stronger during this time.

Cons

Low starting salary, and very slow moving up if staying in one position. I have friends and family who work at other companies such as Amazon, Boeing, etc. who have the same work ethics, their annual salary increase averages 5-6% (2-3% merit + 3% inflation adjustment), not to mention stock options at the end of the year; whereas at Gallo, it's mostly 2-3% salary increase, and that's based on EXTREMELY hard work. Even with the outrageous inflation we're all feeling and everyone's talking about the last couple years, there's been no inflation adjustment in the salary. I was told the company is still evaluating whether the impact is permanent or temporary, which I understand; however, whether permanent or not, we're still having to bear the extra costs on everything, even though we're already trading down. Over the course of almost 20 years working at the winery, I did see inflation adjustment once, about 6-7 years ago, which does not help employees keep up with the cost of living. I have family members that start work at other companies a few years later than me. But with higher starting salary, and higher annual salary increase, their salary is now higher than mine by at least 50%.

2 people found this review helpful

Gallo Leadership

Thank you for your feedback. I take your review seriously and will be sharing it with the rest of our Executive Leadership Team. If you would like to confidentially continue the conversation, please reach out to me directly. Best Regards, Michelle Lewis Global VP, Human Resources

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that cares

May 13, 2022 - Senior Engineer in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for companies ranging in size from 7 employees to the US government, and Gallo is the stand-out leader for positive work culture, supportive management, and employee focus and inclusivity. I have yet to work with someone here that I wouldn't want to spend time with outside of the office, the benefits are fantastic, and the company really cares about their people. Gallo has been a positive experience all around, highly recommended.

Cons

Working in a 24/7 production environment can mean some odd/long hours, but they are few and far between.

Gallo Leadership

Thank you for your thorough feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and all you do. Cheers!

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Gallo is THE BEST place to work!

Apr 6, 2022 - Legal Counsel in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pros: - Interesting and challenging work - Exciting industry; attracts fun, cool and diverse people - Supportive, thoughtful and kind senior management - Family company - seems to be more personal, relationship-oriented and appreciative of employees than a public or investor-owned company - Smart, motivated co-workers who are genuine team players - Corporate values of integrity, respect, innovation, teamwork and dedication are emphasized - Very competitive and generous compensation and benefits - People truly care about each other here

Cons

Cons: - Not a lot of potential for upward mobility in some departments - relatively flat organizations - For those who are not into working hard, may not be a fit - Company expects and rewards dedication and hard work

Gallo Leadership

Thanks for your thorough review! We appreciate all of your feedback and all you do to make Gallo a great place to work. Cheers!

7. 5.0

E. & J. Gallo Winery

Apr 8, 2022 - Senior Maintenance Planner in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The winery is a fun and exciting environment with an awesome diverse team and a wealth of experiences that compliment one another. A collaborative environment that encourages both personal and career development. It's very common to find employees that have worked for this organization for a few decades and I personally have twenty years of service with E. & J. Gallo Winery. That fact alone speaks volumes about the company's commitment to it's employees happiness.

Cons

Constant change and movement within the organization, but it is also a sign of a healthy and growing organization. If new challenges excite you, this is the place to be.

Gallo Leadership

Thank you for your feedback and advice. We appreciate all you do!

8. 5.0

Proud to be part of the Gallo Family Company

Apr 6, 2022 - Administrative Specialist in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gallo has always treated me good. I have been here for almost 25 years and can say most of my time here at Gallo has been wonderful. Gallo has always made me feel valued. You truly feel like your co-workers are part of your family and makes it enjoyable showing up to work each day. Very flexible when you have kids, appointments, sports, school events and when wanting to take your PTO. Never make you feel bad if you need to take time for anything. Always make your feel good about making your family a priority. Always encouraging to better yourself.

Cons

Not many downsides. I would say not having a college degree has hindered me into moving to possible positions I may have wanted. Although Gallo has always been encouraging to go back to school, it just was never something I had time to do.

Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for sharing your experience and for your almost 25 years of service! We're so happy you're part of the Gallo family.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company with a few draw backs.

May 22, 2022 - Finance in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Many benefits especially since it's a leader in the industry. Also, everyone at the company is a dream to work with.

Cons

It is located in a terribly small town that is hard to adjust to if you previously lived in a large city. There is not a lot to do here. Also, their rotations are not merit based. Instead, you must be in a role for a specific amount of time before any team will attempt to let you rotate.

Gallo Leadership

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We appreciate all you do. Cheers!

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Compensation Discrepancies

Mar 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free wine, some flexibility to work from home, most employees are friendly and welcoming.

Cons

Expects you to be on call always, shorting people on raises despite excellent work performance and skyrocketing cost of living, always asking employees to do more for less to save the company money. An example, performance feedback throughout the year being nonexistent, final review feedback all positive, and giving PA reviews of successfully meets level. Meaning you do your job exceptionally well all year, taking on extra job responsibilities since half your team left, train people in and out of your department, receive no improvement opportunities from your manager all year despite requesting them, and still they give you a measly merit increase of less than 2%. Your work will be thanked verbally by senior leadership but when it comes to putting their budgets where their mouths are it doesn't happen.

7 people found this review helpful

Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for providing your candid feedback. I welcome the opportunity to continue the conversation and learn more about your comments. If you’re open to a discussion, please reach out to me directly and we will get it scheduled. Thank you for all you do. Michelle Lewis Global Vice President, Human Resources

Viewing 1 - 10 of 844 Reviews

E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews FAQs

E. & J. Gallo Winery has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 1,583 reviews left anonymously by employees. 86% of employees would recommend working at E. & J. Gallo Winery to a friend and 85% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, E. & J. Gallo Winery employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at E. & J. Gallo Winery. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

86% of E. & J. Gallo Winery employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated E. & J. Gallo Winery 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at E. & J. Gallo Winery to be benefits, culture, career development and the cons to be senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with E. & J. Gallo Winery Job Seekers