E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews

Updated May 10, 2021

4.5
E. & J. Gallo Winery President and CEO Ernest Gallo (no image)
Ernest Gallo
Pros
  • "Amazing culture and work/life balance(in 117 reviews)

• "Family owned and the most integrity I've seen in a wine company(in 75 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Setting boundaries for work life balance must be done(in 86 reviews)

• "Modesto is a bit far from cities and its benefits(in 85 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of E. & J. Gallo Winery and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pretty Decent Workplace

May 10, 2021 - Process Engineering Intern in Modesto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed workplace that rewards hard work

Cons

A lot of corporate hoops to jump through to get anything done

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Overall good company to work for to start your a career.

May 10, 2021 - Finance Analyst in Modesto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of the best companies to work for in the Central Valley in terms of perks and opportunities. Rotational programs for undergraduate and MBA hires are great to get business exposure and learn different segments of the business. The family that is in top management are humble and have earned their roles through hard worth starting at the bottom.

Cons

Growth opportunities are mostly provided to those whom are considered favorites, and are very limited. The company continuously adds layers between senior analysts/accountants and management roles making it merely impossible for employees to ever become managers. Work life balance is difficult in a lot of roles there’s high expectations to deliver. The company breeds a very competitive environment where employees find themselves consistently over-performing and rotating out of a role too quickly. Rotations happen too often and people don’t stay in a role long enough to actually drive sustainability or anything that’s long-term value added to the role. Company only focuses on high performers and not much is done to understand why some employees are low performers nor how they can leverage on their skill sets to help them grow. Not much diversity or inclusion. Most mid to top management predominately white males.

3. 2.0

Work Overload.

Apr 13, 2021 - Commerce Marketing in Modesto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun co-workers and some great perks - good benefits, some company paid lunches, cool off-site and team building activities.

Cons

In the past 2 years, the workload has increased dramatically. While some departments have been expanded to handle the additional workload, several are left dealing with impossible expectations. For the last year, I've been working 12 hours per day with no help or additional support from leadership and no plans for expanding our department. At what point does it become too much work and we receive additional support to handle the growing business? My clients have doubled and I've been handed several new responsibilities. I'm burnt out and several others are as well, which is evident by the number of people leaving. I won't take time off because the amount of prep time before and catch up time after literally makes it more stressful. Besides, a "vacation" is almost always a working "vacation" anyway. If I take a day off and then have to work 4 hours of the day, it's no longer a day off!

Human Resources Leadership

We take your feedback seriously and are concerned by your review. I would welcome the opportunity to connect with you over the phone to better understand your concerns, as well as to discuss ways to decrease your workload and increase your work life balance. I hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards, Susan Hensley VP, Human Resources

4. 5.0

Love My Job!

Apr 23, 2021 - Member Services Representative in Monterey, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This position is a back office position with the chance to assist in-front of members when we have events. I have flexibility currently to work remote and not have to change positions due to Covid.

Cons

This is a backoffice job, so if you do not like talking on the phone and being behind a computer screen, this is not the role for you.

Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave such thorough feedback. We will be passing your review along to our Sr. Leadership and HR teams. Thanks for all you do!

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Exciting company to work form.

Apr 26, 2021 - Senior Programmer Analyst in Modesto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great engagement with the company. Gallo goes out of the way to make sure you are comfortable at your position, and that you are engaged in your work, not only on your own team projects but with the company as a whole. Additionally, Gallo is a very dynamic company and treats its IT organization as an integral part of the organization as a whole. Adopting many best practices that many large enterprise IT organizations do not seem to tackle, or would adopt on a slower pace.

Cons

Telecommute options could be better. Return to office after COVID seems rushed and unnecessary for employees who have been working remote for well over a year now. Pay scale is lower than other technology focused groups, or any companies from the Bay Area.

Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your thorough feedback. We appreciate you and your 5+ years with Gallo. Cheers to you!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Place to Work

Apr 23, 2021 - Senior Sourcing Manager in Modesto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great family culture. Feels like the company cares about the employees. The opportunity to work on exciting projects and see new products come to fruition. The company encourages continuous learning, job rotations, etc. so you never feel stagnant.

Cons

With the company growth there can be stress to meet demands, but it also makes the work exciting.

Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your feedback. We truly appreciate all you do for Gallo. Cheers!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Lead teams of production employees.

Apr 23, 2021 - Senior Director of Operations in Modesto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company values are not just talked about but instilled in all levels of the organization. The people at Gallo are great to work with and support each other in all circumstances. Working at Gallo is fun, challenging and rewarding.

Cons

I struggle to find many cons to working at Gallo.

Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your 10+ years with Gallo. We truly appreciate your leadership!

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Find another job

Jan 15, 2021 - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you win incentives, you can get decent money. It’s pretty rigged though so only certain territories even have the chance to win, if you’re in a low selling area, good luck. Coworkers are awesome and pretty much the only redeeming part of the job, since everyone hates the job just as much as you do so you all suffer together.

Cons

Avoid doing this job at all costs. You will be expected to throw load in stores (though they will claim that it doesn’t happen), work insanely early and long hours, suck up to upper management to get promoted, and have unreasonably high expectations that are impossible for anyone to reach. The company has little integrity, with DM’s constantly pushing product that won’t sell/doesn’t make sense for stores. Huge amounts of favoritism in the company, the ones that are promoted first are all in a mentorship program who’s existence they hide from other employees. Store conditions are often terrible, with bugs crawling everywhere in the back rooms, and expect to be berated and disrespected by rude store employees. Gallo has a mindset of “it’s the next reps problem” because they have such fast turnover, so you are encouraged to order too much product for a store since the next rep will likely have to deal with the repercussions of bad business, not you. Upper management is gossipy and cliquey, and doesn’t listen to employee feedback. If you value your happiness, find another company and another job.

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources Leadership

We are concerned by your feedback and will be sharing your review with our Sales Leadership team. Best of luck to you.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great Place to Learn and Grow

Apr 23, 2021 - Director in Modesto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great training, competitive compensation, opportunity for advancement, market leader

Cons

No equity opportunity, slow moving, protects weaker employees

Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your feedback and for the 10+ years you spent with Gallo. Best of luck to you!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company

Apr 17, 2021 - Maintenance Mechanic in Modesto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working the 12 hr shifts affords more time with family as you work half the time as 8 hr crews

Cons

I don't have any cons per say

Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and for all you do for Gallo. Cheers to you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 691 Reviews