E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 16, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "In my department there is a strong emphasis of work life balance which is really important to me" (in 53 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people" (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be difficult" (in 58 reviews)

• "During harvest you will work long hours" (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Gallo ROCKS!"

Current Employee - Paralegal, Senior Environmental Specialist in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Paralegal, Senior Environmental Specialist in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

E&J Gallo Winery is the most progressive organization I have worked for. The Gallo family's investment in the quality of life of their employees is felt on a daily basis through work-life balance opportunities, perks like onsite food truck and farmers' markets, summer work hours, 'no-meeting' Friday afternoons, and discounts for personal services including cell phone service, dry cleaning, travel, rental cars, and more. It's great to wake up each morning excited to go to work!

Cons

Haven't come across any in my 14-year tenure yet that are worthy of mentioning. That's a great thing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jun 21, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

We're so glad you're enjoying these "perks." Thank you for your 10+ years of service and your review. Please continue to provide us with feedback, we care!

2. "It 's a privilege to work at Gallo Winery."

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Fresno, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work is rewarding and satisfying. The pay and benefits are more than adequate for what I do.

Cons

Long hours and days during the crush season.

Advice to Management

Your biggest resource and advice is the people that work for you.

Jun 21, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your insight and agree that our greatest asset is our employees! Thank you for all you do.

"Gross Job Misrepresentation in Sales Rep Onboarding"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery (More than a year)

Pros

-highly valued sales experience to gain straight out of college makes former Gallo employees highly sought after across multiple industries
    -competitive pay and benefits
    -fosters extremely tough selling skills

Cons

-horrific work life balance and disingenuous culture from management
    -highest employee turnover in the industry

Advice to Management

Do away with the Management Development Program. It presents a grandiose and highly misleading depiction of how the "average" Gallo employee's career can unfold. For candidates who seek careers in marketing, don't lead them to believe that they can easily get involved in such opportunities with Gallo when they have little to no say in the promotions they are offered; even then, the average path requires a minimum three years of chain sales before moving on to anything in marketing, HR, analytics, etc.

Gallo claims at every turn that they are a family company. The culture of forcing young employees to uproot their lives once per year and move across the state is largely counter to that ideal. A family company would support employees by allowing them to stay in the area where their family or significant other have steady jobs (jobs that don't require them to move so often).

Don't be so short-sighted in the way that you direct sales reps to conduct their business. It is no secret in the grocery industry that while store employees often favor their charismatic, hardworking Gallo reps, there is no wine supplier against whom they hold more disdain. This is because the quotas/preplans sales reps are expected to sell are astronomically higher than most stores can handle - begging for favors or promising labor and other perks should not be the price for overloading stores with product they cannot sell.

Show a more genuine commitment to diversity. The accounts of sexism, racism, homphobia and nepotism I encountered in my time at Gallo were staggering.

Rethink the company's approach to production and distribution of Point of Sale. Current practices at the Southern California distributor promote illegal activity on the part of the sales representatives.

Jul 17, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We would like to address your feedback around misleading candidates on job responsibilities and the uprooting of families. We work very hard to make... More

"Decent company, poor leadership, corporate politics (and it’s Modesto...)"

Former Employee - Manager in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Modesto, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+Overall good company.
    +Wine is fun and good discounts.
    +Company spent a lot of money to build buildings, equipment.
    +Did I say good wine?

Cons

-People are “shoulder-tapped” for positions, and others don’t get a fair shake during the interview.
    -My management didn’t help me develop professionally. It was up to me.
    -Senior people in the warehouse played favorites with people. Didn’t treat everyone fairly.
    -Need to get some of their processes in order - I would expect more from this large of a company.

Advice to Management

Take care of all of your people.

Jul 3, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your insight and would welcome additional feedback on how we can improve in the future at feedback@ejgallo.com. Best of luck to you!

"MSC Operator"

Current Employee - Material Sequencing Center Operator in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Material Sequencing Center Operator in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

New technology almost all the machinery's are automated hardly touched by humans, great place to work and to learn new technologies.

Cons

It's not easy to get a job at Gallo.

Jun 21, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review and your 10+ years of service!

"Great Wine"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Very good training, best in the industry

Cons

Upper management preferred negative reinforcement to a positive one.

Advice to Management

Manage by positivity, not negativity !

Jun 29, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will be passing along your "Advice to Management" to our sales leadership team. If you would like to confidentially elaborate on your... More

"Love It, But We HAVE To Address Some Problems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The industry is a fun one and working for a company with such a diverse portfolio of products is wonderful. I personally feel incredibly supported by my manager and love that they listen to what I say and advocate for me. As somebody with a chronic condition, I can say the healthcare is wonderful. The employee store is an added benefit. There are plenty of opportunities for education. I have a great work-life balance. I absolutely love working here. We just have some problems that desperately need to be addressed.

Cons

- Modesto is a terrible city to work (commute is long, shuttles don't change that)
    - No creativity within marketing org
    - HEAVY privilege of white, heterosexual males. No POC or LGBT at the Director, Sr. Director or VP+ levels. (Employee Resource Groups don't remedy this.)
    - Promotions only happen when somebody quits, not because somebody is actually don't a great job.

Advice to Management

- We really have to get out of this Modesto mindset. We lose so much talent because we're so inflexible with working locations. We have to figure out a satellite office either in SF/Oakland or even somewhere outside of CA. The shuttles make it so you don't have to drive in from the Bay, sure, but dont be mistaken: that's 3-4 extra hours of work every day you didn't sign up for. I'm begging you to please open up an office outside of Modesto. We can't keep losing talent to other companies simply based on location.
    - Speaking of talent, the pendulum of valuing MBAs has swung too far in the other direction. Unfortunately, we've put such a value on the degree and education that so many within this marketing organization have the smarts with no creativity and often farm the ideation and actual practices of branding and brand creativity out to our internal partners. We talk about how we're a company that evolves, but in order to do that, we have to have the right minds that can come up with those ideas leading these brands. We're a bit dry on that right now and I think if you candidly asked those in the company without fear of retribution, they'd echo these sentiments.
    - I have a great work-life balance, but I've noticed that senior leadership often privileges people like me with a spouse and children and expects others without spouses or kids to do the heavy lifting or stay late. I've heard on multiple occasions from multiple different senior leadership folks in the marketing department "just have _______ do it. They don't have kids." or "Just have ______ attend. The rest of us have families we have to report to." It's disheartening to some of my direct-reports who may not have heard these sentiments, but witness them just in the day-to-day practices of the company.
    - There's a severe lack of diversity. I get that we're making our percentages and numbers with the women and people of color entering the company at the assistant level, but just having gender equity with a few women in senior leadership isn't enough. There are no people of color or LGBT people in the top ranks of this company. Period. Employee resource groups don't change the fact that there's no representation in the higher levels of the company. I would like the company to outline their plan for including more POC and LGBT people at the Director, Sr. Director and VP+ levels.

Jun 22, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

I want to thank you for taking the time to leave such a fair and thorough review. Would you be open to having an in-person, confidential conversation? Your feedback is very important to us and I want... More

8. "Building Representative"

Current Employee - Building Services Representative in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Building Services Representative in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company culture and benefits.

Cons

No cons to share at this time.

Jun 11, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

We're glad you are enjoying the company culture and benefits. We appreciate your positive feedback and all you do. Cheers!

9. "Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful group of professionals. Beautiful building.

Cons

In a support role, not really an Cons to speak of.

Jun 21, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback!

10. "9 year employee"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work work, they care about their employee's. Benefits are really amazing. They hire within first so there are plenty of opportunities to move up.

Cons

Most would say the challenges of living in the Central Valley.

Advice to Management

Consider opening a satellite office in the SF Bay area.

Jun 6, 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review! We're so happy to have you in the the Gallo Family. Cheers!