E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews | Glassdoor

E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews

Updated July 26, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Healthy work-life balance (although not necessarily a 9-5 job) (in 34 reviews)

• A family owned company that truly cares about its employees instead of solely on profits (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not always ideal (in 48 reviews)

• Long hours the workload is often more than one can get done in 8hours (in 21 reviews)

1. "The Best Place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Shipping/Receiving Clerk/Mail Center in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Shipping/Receiving Clerk/Mail Center in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the reason why Gallo winery is the best place to work, is because Every Employee treats each other like family, and the Management is Awesome, there no other company i would rather work Besides E J GALLO WINERY in Modesto California! I love it here!

Cons

I can honestly say, I have no complaints...

Advice to Management

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. stay in touch with TMs on a more personable basis

Jun 16, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a great review. We agree that the family feel is a big part of what makes Gallo so special, but it is also because of people like you! Cheers to... More

2. "Best Employer!"

Current Employee - Accountant in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful team-based environment. Fun and diverse culture. Great opportunities to learn in different areas of the company. Corporate values demonstrated from top management down. Supportive of further education and certifications, and useful in-house training courses are available. Deadline-driven with flexible schedules. In total, an ideal place to work!

Cons

High expectations and need to be able to adapt to new situations constantly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jun 16, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your time and feedback. We know that our employees are our best asset and believe in supporting continuous learning to help them reach their goals. We're so glad to have employees... More

3. "Couldn't ask for a better company"

Current Employee - Legal Counsel in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Counsel in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gallo has an amazing culture of smart, hard working people who support each other and work together to achieve the company's goals.
    Corporate values are taken seriously and respected.
    Our senior leadership is incredibly talented, dedicated, smart and compassionate.
    Healthy work-life balance (although not necessarily a 9-5 job).
    Exciting, fun industry.

Cons

Relatively long commute from the Bay Area (although it's a reverse commute and the company does provide a free luxury bus).

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!

Jun 16, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review. We're lucky to have you as a part of the Gallo family!

4. "Great Environment"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Everyone is smart, helpful, patient, and understanding. Work life balance is emphasized and encouraged. Management is capable.

Cons

harvest season with long work days

Jun 19, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We know harvest season can be exhausting, but we want you to know that your work does not go unnoticed. Thank you for all of your hard work. Cheers!

5. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Seasonal Human Resources Clerk
    Current Employee - Seasonal Human Resources Clerk

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Talent Team, Management, and service tools for employees

Cons

there is nothing negative that i can say

6. "Fantastic company with mobility"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Healdsburg, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Healdsburg, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked in 4 different positions across logistics, sales, finance and operations which has been enriching and a lot of fun! The company continues to grow and hire amazing people.

Cons

I can't think of any!

Jun 16, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your great review! It is so great to hear about your career progression and the fact that you have had exposure to so many sides of our business. We are so lucky to have you. Keep up... More

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gallo is a place where everyone has the opportunity and full support to meet his/her full potential. There are some companies that have great opportunities for career growth but are very cut throat and competitive. There are some companies that are a pleasure to work at but have little opportunity for career growth. Gallo offers the best of both worlds. The people are very supportive and collaborative at all levels and there is plenty of opportunities for career growth.

Cons

It's hard to find a downside to working at Gallo. Limited locations limit where you can live.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Jun 16, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you so much for your great review and we agree 100%! We appreciate all that you do to make Gallo such a great place to work. Cheers to you!

8. "A Very Special Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came to Gallo for the culture - and I have not been disappointed. From the CEO on down, this company lives its values. Gallo is a great place to learn, to innovate and to be challenged to be your very best.

Cons

I cannot think of any reason I wouldn't want to be working at Gallo. Could things be even better, of course - but Gallo is always striving to listen to its employees, to understand what we want and what ideas we have, to implement changes that would make this an even better place to work.

Jun 16, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review. We truly appreciate all that you and your team do to make Gallo such a special place to work. Cheers!

9. "Great Wine + Fast Growth = Meets Typical Constraints Head On"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Great place to grow given the right conditions and support from leadership. You can develop some deep long lasting professional and personal relationships which is different from other companies. You can move around and learn various jobs and everything there is to know about the company and they encourage it.

Cons

Work / Life balance can become a challenge as they move faster and harder. This can present other strains in managing the forces that make up a good company (People, Processes, Tools). Organizational structure to support those massive changes can be strained and stretched thin with little to no change management or balancing of work life which can strain the work force to break. Processes, like in many companies, tend to not be documented, this can cause repeat problems down the road and there is a tendency by leadership thru management to allow exceptions to the processes that the staff is regularly asked to uphold and follow yet others are not (exception based processes). Finally, there isn't a clear baseline understanding of what it takes to implement a system, get proficient at it and then realize its value and grow it more to get the most TCO out of the product, people and processes as possible.

Jun 21, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your honest feedback. If you’re open to discussing your thoughts on improving processes and work-life-balance in greater detail, please email us at feedback@ejgallo.com. We hope you... More

10. "Great Place to Start"

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Incredible Training, rapid advancement, great culture

Cons

They hire right out of college - don't realize you are underpaid until after you have left.

Jun 19, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your review. We really appreciate it. Cheers!